|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks forgiveness from Clara for words spoken?
2. What does the fanatic believe will happen to him after he falls into a depression?
3. What does Clara identify the voice she hears and associates with the strange man?
4. What is the conversation that Clara overhears from two voices in her closet about?
5. What had Carwin begged for from Clara a few weeks prior to Pleyel mentioning meeting him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Wieland returns from the temple, why does he look troubled?
2. When Clara anticipates Pleyel's arrival, what does she think is the reason that he does not appear?
3. What does Clara fear will appear as a sign of her guilt to Pleyel?
4. How does Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist satirize popular Gothic novels?
5. What did the children do with their father's old temple over the years?
6. How does the reader learn that Carwin is the villain?
7. Who is Louisa Conway, and how is she connected to the narrator's brother?
8. What does Clara realize is the reason that Pleyel is withdrawing from the group?
9. How do the voices protect Clara from death in her room?
10. What does Pleyel believe is the reason that Clara is involved with Carwin, and how does Wieland advise her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the power of the press in Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist. Is the press objective? What kind of media bias do they reveal? How are they influenced?
Essay Topic 3
Brown uses more than one iteration on the motif of grief and loss. Identify at least two instances of grief and loss in the book.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)