|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins the group at the father's temple after it is adapted for socialization?
2. What is the conversation that Clara overhears from two voices in her closet about?
3. Who hides in the closet of Clara's house?
4. Unable to sleep, what does Clara investigate after Pleyel fails to arrive?
5. Why does Pleyel withdraw from the social group that includes Carwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Louisa Conway, and how is she connected to the narrator's brother?
2. What does Clara go to her brother to explain?
3. When Clara goes into town to confront Pleyel, why does she go to Mrs. Baynton's house?
4. What does Pleyel explain are his reasons for doubting Clara when she asks him to recount to her what he thinks he knows?
5. How do the voices protect Clara from death in her room?
6. What is the writing style and storyline of Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist?
7. After the death of the narrator's father, what happened to her family?
8. How does Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist satirize popular Gothic novels?
9. What does Pleyel learn from the voice that turns out to be true about his lover?
10. When Clara anticipates Pleyel's arrival, what does she think is the reason that he does not appear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of family relationships. Identify at least two instances of this motifs.
Essay Topic 2
Brown uses more than one iteration on the motif of grief and loss. Identify at least two instances of grief and loss in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist is a classic horror fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)