|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clara request the use of for the purpose of getting out of the house and away from her uncle?
(a) A bookie.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A carriage.
2. What does Judith do for Clara?
(a) She is her nurse.
(b) She is her doctor.
(c) She is her servant.
(d) She is her friend.
3. When Pleyel reaches Clara's residence, what does he hear that makes him suspect her?
(c) A song.
(d) A conversation.
4. Who is Mr. Hallett a friend of?
(a) Clara's mother.
(b) Wieland's sister.
(c) Clara's father.
(d) Brown's brother.
5. What is Clara surprised to see inside the house as she comes to meet Carwin for their eleven o'clock meeting?
(a) A light.
(b) A radio.
(c) A TV antenna.
(d) A substation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Thomas related to Clara?
2. What does Wieland learn that he must take responsibility for instead of killing Clara?
3. Who has been caught according to Thomas?
4. Why does Clara stop at at Mrs. Baynton's house?
5. Who is Pleyel's lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Carwin wants to understand why she is cursing him, what does she say?
2. How does Clara recover from the trauma of the previous events?
3. How does Theodore Wieland, Clara's brother, admit his guilt upfront and explain the reason for his murder?
4. What does Clara's uncle tell her about Carwin and the killer?
5. Upon reaching her house, what does Clara find that is mysterious and makes her think Carwin has committed some strange deed?
6. Upon seeing Clara in the room with the dead body, what does Wieland say and do?
7. When Wieland is confused and disoriented, what actions do he and Clara take to prepare to fight?
8. How do the strong convictions of Wieland show his madness?
9. How do Clara and Pleyel reunite?
10. When Wieland collapses in sorrow, why does he still kill himself?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)