|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose voice does Clara hear in the house as she comes to meet Carwin for their eleven o'clock meeting?
2. Whose wife does Maxwell seduce?
(a) Major Stuart.
(b) Duke Linden.
(c) Count Morgan.
(d) Baron Marx.
3. Who does Wieland thank for leading him to Clara after he confronts Clara in her house?
4. On grounds of madness, where is Wieland placed?
(a) In a house.
(b) In a cellar.
(c) In prison.
(d) In the attic.
5. What does Clara discover about Pleyel's lover?
(a) She is alive.
(b) She is grieving.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She is strong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clara receive at at Mrs. Baynton's house?
2. Who acts as physician and friend to Clara?
3. Who emerges from Clara's house after Pleyel arrives to talk to her about his feelings, confirming Pleyel's suspicions of Clara's guilt?
4. When Wieland demands answers from Carwin after talking to Clara, how does Carwin behave?
5. Why is Theodore supposed to kill his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Carwin hears Judith's glowing tribute to Clara, how does he test it out?
2. When Clara enters her house to get her diary, what does she experience, and who arrives?
3. When Carwin wants to understand why she is cursing him, what does she say?
4. Upon seeing Clara in the room with the dead body, what does Wieland say and do?
5. Since Clara is desperate from the loss of affection from Pleyel, why does she rush home to see Carwin, and why does she not have him arrested?
6. How does Theodore Wieland, Clara's brother, admit his guilt upfront and explain the reason for his murder?
7. Why does Pleyel suspect Clara of being involved with Carwin when he gets to her house?
8. Upon reaching her house, what does Clara find that is mysterious and makes her think Carwin has committed some strange deed?
9. When a group enters Clara's room led by Mr. Hallett, what does Clara learn, leading her grieving to Mrs. Baynton's house?
10. Why does Clara appeal to Wieland about Carwin's deceit, and how does Wieland respond?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)