|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pleyel implore Clara to admit when she comes to see him?
(a) Her fear.
(b) Her strength.
(c) Her desire.
(d) Her guilt.
2. Who does Clara recognize Carwin to be?
(a) The writer.
(b) The strange man.
(c) The lover.
(d) The priest.
3. What does Carwin rationalize?
(a) His loves.
(b) His fears.
(c) His desires.
(d) Mysterious events.
4. What does Pleyel read that makes him suspect Clara?
(a) Her magazine.
(b) Her journal.
(c) Her letter.
(d) Her book.
5. What family does the narrator get close to?
(a) The Pleyels.
(b) The Docs.
(c) The Leaves.
(d) The Smiths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Major Stuart recognize the orphaned girl as?
2. What did the naked and burned person inside the temple have on their arm?
3. Which relations of the narrator die soon after the event at the temple?
4. What does Wieland go to retrieve from a temple?
5. To whom does Pleyel give his accusations about Clara?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist satirize popular Gothic novels?
2. How does the mysterious death of the narrator's father set the tone of the novel?
3. What does Clara go to her brother to explain?
4. What does Clara fear will appear as a sign of her guilt to Pleyel?
5. After the death of the narrator's father, what happened to her family?
6. What does Pleyel accuse Clara of?
7. Why is Pleyel unhappy about not receiving news from Europe?
8. What did the narrator's uncle find when he entered the temple?
9. What is the warning in Chapter I about?
10. Where does the plot to kill Clara appear to have emanated from?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)