|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the voices from the closet and during her walks seem to give Clara constantly?
2. What does Pleyel read that makes him suspect Clara?
(a) Her journal.
(b) Her letter.
(c) Her book.
(d) Her magazine.
3. Why is Pleyel disturbed about not hearing from Europe?
(a) He thinks he is crazy.
(b) He is anxious for news of his brother.
(c) He feels afraid.
(d) He believes his lover deserted him.
4. When does Pleyel claim to have heard talking with Clara on the grounds?
(d) Lunch time.
5. Unable to sleep, what does Clara investigate after Pleyel fails to arrive?
(a) Her cabin.
(b) Her bookshelf.
(c) Her bedroom.
(d) Her closet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator's brother?
2. What does the narrator's mother see at the temple when the father goes there?
3. What does Clara identify the voice she hears and associates with the strange man?
4. What does the narrator's mother think has been fired at the temple?
5. What does Pleyel worry that Carwin might do to Clara?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Clara anticipates Pleyel's arrival, what does she think is the reason that he does not appear?
2. Where does the plot to kill Clara appear to have emanated from?
3. How do the voices protect Clara from death in her room?
4. Who is Louisa Conway, and how is she connected to the narrator's brother?
5. What does Clara learn from the voice while walking the estate before she runs into Pleyel?
6. What does Pleyel explain are his reasons for doubting Clara when she asks him to recount to her what he thinks he knows?
7. What does Clara go to her brother to explain?
8. What did the children do with their father's old temple over the years?
9. What is the warning in Chapter I about?
10. What does Pleyel accuse Clara of?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)