|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose love affair is brought into focus intensely?
(a) Lois and Matthew.
(b) Clara and Pleyel.
(c) Brown and Stuart.
(d) Jan and James.
2. Where does Clara wake to learn that a mysterious voice had called saying she needed help?
(a) Her mother's house.
(b) Her father's house.
(c) Her brother's house.
(d) Her sister's house.
3. What is the conversation that Clara overhears from two voices in her closet about?
(a) Her forgery.
(b) Her imprisonment.
(c) Her murder.
(d) Her liberation.
4. Where does Pleyel meet Carwin?
5. Why is Pleyel disturbed about not hearing from Europe?
(a) He feels afraid.
(b) He thinks he is crazy.
(c) He is anxious for news of his brother.
(d) He believes his lover deserted him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clara lock, afraid as much for Pleyel's life as for her own after seeing Carwin?
2. Whose house does Clara go to before meeting Pleyel?
3. What does the fanatic believe will happen to him after he falls into a depression?
4. Who joins the group at the father's temple after it is adapted for socialization?
5. How many years after his marriage does the narrator's brother have four children of his own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the children do with their father's old temple over the years?
2. What does Clara fear will appear as a sign of her guilt to Pleyel?
3. Why is Pleyel unhappy about not receiving news from Europe?
4. What is the writing style and storyline of Wieland; and Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist?
5. What does Pleyel believe is the reason that Clara is involved with Carwin, and how does Wieland advise her?
6. When Carwin steps out of the closet, what does he reveal to Clara before fleeing?
7. What does Pleyel learn from the voice that turns out to be true about his lover?
8. When Wieland returns from the temple, why does he look troubled?
9. What does Clara learn from the voice while walking the estate before she runs into Pleyel?
10. After the death of the narrator's father, what happened to her family?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)