|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Clara goes into town to confront Pleyel, what does she experience?
(a) She gets angry.
(b) She gets afraid.
(c) She gets ill.
(d) She gets stronger.
2. When Pleyel does not arrive as arranged, what does Clara wonder about?
(a) If he is angry at her.
(b) If he is sick.
(c) If he does not love her.
(d) If he is missing.
3. On whom does the narrator place a focus in Chapter I?
(a) His mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
(d) His father.
4. What is the name of the orphaned teenage girl that the narrator's brother adopts?
(a) Charles Brown.
(b) Henry Marks.
(c) Jan Mason.
(d) Louisa Conway.
5. How many years after his marriage does the narrator's brother have four children of his own?
6. What does Pleyel accuse Clara of doing with Carwin?
(b) Running away.
(d) Having sex.
7. After accusing Clara, what does Pleyel do?
(b) Storm out.
(c) Run to her.
8. What does Clara feel for Pleyel?
9. Where is Clara walking when she hears a voice from the closet warning her to avoid a particular spot in her environment?
(a) The building.
(b) The club.
(c) The estate.
(d) The farm.
10. What is the father's temple adapted into for socialization?
(a) A playhouse.
(b) An inn.
(c) A theater.
(d) A summerhouse.
11. What does Carwin rationalize?
(a) His desires.
(b) His fears.
(c) Mysterious events.
(d) His loves.
12. Where does Pleyel meet Carwin?
13. Whose house does Clara go to before meeting Pleyel?
(a) Mrs. Baynton's.
(b) Mr. Mason's.
(c) Miss. Menon's.
(d) Mr. Marks'.
14. What does Wieland go to retrieve from a temple?
(a) A letter.
(b) A radio.
(c) A book.
(d) A handbell.
15. What did the naked and burned person inside the temple have on their arm?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A heavy blow.
(c) A book chain.
(d) Long hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pleyel disturbed about not hearing from Europe?
2. Who hides in the closet of Clara's house?
3. When Clara collapses, whose house does she wake up in?
4. Who joins the group at the father's temple after it is adapted for socialization?
5. What do the voices from the closet and during her walks seem to give Clara constantly?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)