Advertisement & Chapter I
• Chapter I starts out with a warning about fantastic horrors that the narrator is about to relate and the misfortunes that have befallen her and her family.
• She then relates her family history.
• The focus is on her father and how he became a religious fanatic in Europe.
• He had little success in this task, but purchased land near Philadelphia and settled there, marrying and building a temple.
• His religious mania had led to him discarding the tenets of any sect.
• He called his estate Mettingen.
• The narrator discusses her father's descent into deep depression.
Chapters II & III
• In Chapter II, the narrator describes the mysterious events of her father's death. He had gone to his temple, alone.
• Her mother could see the temple from her window and witnessed a flash of light followed by the sound of an explosion.
• Thinking that a gunshot had...
This section contains 4,576 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)