|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Antoinette's husband too much to speak?
2. Why doesn't Antoinette's husband like the her name "Antoinette"?
3. What does the author of the letter want Antoinette's husband to do?
4. What does Antoinette's husband see his wife do that upsets him?
5. Why is Antoinette's marriage arranged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard Mason visits Antoinette after she has been confined to her rooms in England. What happens during his visit? Why does he say he cannot help her? Do you believe he could have intervened? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is your reaction to Antoinette's plight when she is moved to England. Was she treated well? Her husband is a wealthy man: what could he have provided to improve Antoinette's quality of life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Antoinette and her husband's relationship. How would you measure the quality of their marriage? What point in the story do you believe the final breakdown of the relationship occurs and why? Use passages from the book to back up your answer.
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)