|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antoinette's husband says the young girl servant who meets them at the port is of what race?
2. What does the author of the letter want Antoinette's husband to do?
3. How does Antoinette's husband feel things will look in the sun?
4. What does Antoinette give her husband when they cross onto the estate?
5. How does Antoinette tell her husband she feels about the idea of happiness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sandi is introduced early in the story, and reappears in one of Antoinette's narratives in Part Three. What do you think the relationship is between Sandi and Antoinette? When do you think it occurs? There is mention of Antoinette leaving on a boat. Which departure do you think is about to occur - her passage to her honeymoon or her move to England? Support your answer with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How is St. Pierre described? What image does this give you of the town? Describe at least one event that Antoinette relates concerning St. Pierre. What island do you think St. Pierre might be located on? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Jean Rhys created a back story for Bertha Mason of "Jane Eyre"? Do you believe this story is a good example of feminist response to a patriarchal cannon of literature? Why or why not?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)