|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who narrates the story for a brief time mid-way through Part Two?
2. How does Antoinette's husband feel things will look in the sun?
3. What is Antoinette's husband's impression of the people living on the honeymoon island?
4. Why does a nameless boy sob in front of Antoinette and her husband?
5. What does Antoinette mock her husband about on their way to the cottage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Sargasso Sea? Where is it located and what does it divide? Why do you think Jean Rhys uses this as her title? Does it tie in to the story's theme of isolation in any way? How? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is your reaction to Antoinette's plight when she is moved to England. Was she treated well? Her husband is a wealthy man: what could he have provided to improve Antoinette's quality of life?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Antoinette's husband moves back to England? Do you believe he had Antoinette's best interests at heart? What does Antoinette believe about England and her health?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)