|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Antoinette and her husband stay their first night at the honeymoon island?
2. What are fireflies called on the island where Antoinette and her husband honeymoon?
3. How does Antoinette's husband feel things will look in the sun?
4. Who should Antoinette's husband have written to earlier?
5. Why doesn't Antoinette like her husband calling her Bertha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Sargasso Sea? Where is it located and what does it divide? Why do you think Jean Rhys uses this as her title? Does it tie in to the story's theme of isolation in any way? How? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How is St. Pierre described? What image does this give you of the town? Describe at least one event that Antoinette relates concerning St. Pierre. What island do you think St. Pierre might be located on? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Sandi is introduced early in the story, and reappears in one of Antoinette's narratives in Part Three. What do you think the relationship is between Sandi and Antoinette? When do you think it occurs? There is mention of Antoinette leaving on a boat. Which departure do you think is about to occur - her passage to her honeymoon or her move to England? Support your answer with passages from the book.
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)