|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a nameless boy sob in front of Antoinette and her husband?
2. Who is the first new character the reader meets in Part Two?
3. What does Antoinette give her husband when they cross onto the estate?
4. What are fireflies called on the island where Antoinette and her husband honeymoon?
5. Why doesn't Antoinette's husband like the her name "Antoinette"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coulibri Estate represents more than a plantation. What does it represent? Describe three major features of the estate that also represent the state of affairs in the West Indies. Why does the author use Coulibri Estate to represent changing conditions in the West Indies?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Part Three we hear two servants speaking of Antoinette's husband. Mrs. Eff presents a different picture of his situation. What does she say about him? What does she say changes him? Do you agree with her assessment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sandi is introduced early in the story, and reappears in one of Antoinette's narratives in Part Three. What do you think the relationship is between Sandi and Antoinette? When do you think it occurs? There is mention of Antoinette leaving on a boat. Which departure do you think is about to occur - her passage to her honeymoon or her move to England? Support your answer with passages from the book.
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)