|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a glacis?
2. What does Mr. Mason say the servants can smell?
3. Who are Godfrey and Sass?
4. What does Antoinette recognize about her mother when she first goes to visit her after moving from Coulibri Estate?
5. Where do the newly married Mason's spend their honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antoinette say she feels about Mr. Mason?
2. Who are the Luttrells?
3. Describe who is speaking when Part Three begins.
4. Describe the room that Antoinette visits one night when she has taken the keys from Grace.
5. What does Antoinette's husband say about her comments about England?
6. What details does Antoinette give about her mother after the fire at Coulibri?
7. Describe the events immediately leading up to the fire at Coulibri Estate.
8. Who does Grace exclude from the feeling of safety provided by staying at the house?
9. Is there any evidence of passion between Antoinette and her husband?
10. Who is Aunt Cora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antoinette has another name. What is her first name? What ethnicity is her first name? What ethnicity is the name Antoinette? She claims names can change a person into something else. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Antoinette and her husband's relationship. How would you measure the quality of their marriage? What point in the story do you believe the final breakdown of the relationship occurs and why? Use passages from the book to back up your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Isolation is one of the main themes in this story. Describe how Antoinette is isolated during different phases of the story. Do you think her isolation contributed to her mental state? Isolation can be bridged through communication. How might Antoinette have changed her fate had she been able to communicate with her husband?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)