|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is invited to spend the winter with Mr. Mason?
2. What becomes of Antoinette's mother after they leave Coulibri?
3. What does Antoinette remember that her mother hated?
4. What kind of food do the Mason's eat?
5. In Part 1, why is Aunt Cora concerned about the family just after Antoinette's mother remarried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What details does Antoinette give about her mother after the fire at Coulibri?
2. Does Antoinette's husband seem happy about his recent marriage?
3. What happens between Antoinette and her husband that seems to seal the fate of their relationship?
4. What is Antoinette's fascination with the tapestry?
5. What is Antoinette's husband's response about her thoughts on death?
6. What does Antoinette see in the sky during her unsettling dream?
7. Does Antoinette understand where she is when she is describing her circumstances at the beginning of Part 3?
8. Does Antoinette's husband like Grandbois?
9. Who is Sandi Cosway?
10. What is Christophine's fate at the end of Part Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Jean Rhys created a back story for Bertha Mason of "Jane Eyre"? Do you believe this story is a good example of feminist response to a patriarchal cannon of literature? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sandi is introduced early in the story, and reappears in one of Antoinette's narratives in Part Three. What do you think the relationship is between Sandi and Antoinette? When do you think it occurs? There is mention of Antoinette leaving on a boat. Which departure do you think is about to occur - her passage to her honeymoon or her move to England? Support your answer with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the "Emancipation Act"? What effect does it have on the West Indies economy? Which groups are effected most? Explain how they are effected and why you believe it is important to the story.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)