|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Bishop feel about the nuns?
2. How does Antoinette feel when Mr. Mason tells her about their visitor(s)?
3. Where does Christophine go to live?
4. What is a glacis?
5. How does Antoinette feel about the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impression does Grace give of the world she lives in?
2. Does Antoinette's husband seem happy about his recent marriage?
3. Why does the letter from Daniel Cosway upset Antoinette's husband?
4. Does Antoinette understand where she is when she is describing her circumstances at the beginning of Part 3?
5. Why does Christophine live with the Cosways?
6. How does Antoinette's husband describe the island in the beginning of Part Two?
7. How does Antoinette say she feels about Mr. Mason?
8. Describe the person Grace is hired to care for.
9. What thoughts does Antoinette's husband disclose concerning his feelings about the servants at Grandbois?
10. How is Sandi reintroduced into Antoinette's narrative of Part Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Antoinette and her husband's relationship. How would you measure the quality of their marriage? What point in the story do you believe the final breakdown of the relationship occurs and why? Use passages from the book to back up your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Christophine is a key character in the life of Antoinette and her mother. Why do you think she stays with the family after the slaves are freed? She is suspected of practicing obeah. Describe events or comments in the story that suggests she used it to help Antoinette's mother. What does Antoinette ask of her in Part Two?
Essay Topic 3
Sandi is introduced early in the story, and reappears in one of Antoinette's narratives in Part Three. What do you think the relationship is between Sandi and Antoinette? When do you think it occurs? There is mention of Antoinette leaving on a boat. Which departure do you think is about to occur - her passage to her honeymoon or her move to England? Support your answer with passages from the book.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)