|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antoinette's demeanor change after she leaves school?
2. Who does Mr. Mason want to hire as servants?
3. Part One is told from whose point of view?
4. In Part 1, why is Aunt Cora concerned about the family just after Antoinette's mother remarried?
5. What type of stories are read to the school girls when they do their needle work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are any of the nuns sympathetic to Antoinette on her first day of school?
2. Does Antoinette believe Christophine is an "obeah" woman?
3. How does Antoinette get a knife in Part Three?
4. Does Antoinette's husband like Grandbois?
5. How does Antoinette describe the garden at Coulibri?
6. What details does Antoinette give about her mother after the fire at Coulibri?
7. What impression does Grace give of the world she lives in?
8. What is Christophine's fate at the end of Part Two?
9. What is the dream Antoinette mentions having just after her fight with Tia?
10. Who is Aunt Cora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Antoinette and her husband's relationship. How would you measure the quality of their marriage? What point in the story do you believe the final breakdown of the relationship occurs and why? Use passages from the book to back up your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Christophine is a key character in the life of Antoinette and her mother. Why do you think she stays with the family after the slaves are freed? She is suspected of practicing obeah. Describe events or comments in the story that suggests she used it to help Antoinette's mother. What does Antoinette ask of her in Part Two?
Essay Topic 3
Sandi is introduced early in the story, and reappears in one of Antoinette's narratives in Part Three. What do you think the relationship is between Sandi and Antoinette? When do you think it occurs? There is mention of Antoinette leaving on a boat. Which departure do you think is about to occur - her passage to her honeymoon or her move to England? Support your answer with passages from the book.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)