|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a glacis?
2. Who is Mr. Mason?
3. Why does Antoinette resent the nuns' cheerful faces?
4. Where does Myra say everyone went?
5. What is Mrs. Cosway's situation at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Antoinette's husband seem happy about his recent marriage?
2. Does Grace Poole seem to take good care of Antoinette?
3. What does Antoinette know about Grace Poole?
4. Describe Antoinette and Tia's friendship early in the narrative.
5. What startles Grace Poole as she is sitting at the table at the end of the narrative?
6. What reason does Mr. Mason give for staying at Coulibri after he marries Antoinette's mother?
7. What happens when Antoinette arrives at the convent school for her first day?
8. How does Antoinette describe the rooms she finds herself living in during Part Three?
9. Does Antoinette's husband witness any behavior in Antoinette that confirms his concern about her?
10. Describe who is speaking when Part Three begins.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antoinette's mother is described as beautiful, young, and worst of all from Martinique. Why would the "Jamaican ladies" disapprove of the young woman? Explain why coming from Martinique might be a problem. How does the behavior of the "Jamaican ladies" make Antoinette's mother feel?
Essay Topic 2
Richard Mason visits Antoinette after she has been confined to her rooms in England. What happens during his visit? Why does he say he cannot help her? Do you believe he could have intervened? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sandi is introduced early in the story, and reappears in one of Antoinette's narratives in Part Three. What do you think the relationship is between Sandi and Antoinette? When do you think it occurs? There is mention of Antoinette leaving on a boat. Which departure do you think is about to occur - her passage to her honeymoon or her move to England? Support your answer with passages from the book.
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)