|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is invited to spend the winter with Mr. Mason?
(a) Aunt Cora.
(b) Sandi Cosway.
(d) Some English friends.
2. Immediately following Antoinette's description of her dream, what does the nun tell Antoinette to do after they have talked?
(a) Go back to bed.
(b) Stay awake for the rest of the night.
(d) Think happy thoughts.
3. What is Mrs. Cosway's situation at the beginning of the story?
(a) She is an important part of Spanish Town society.
(b) She is a poor widow of five years.
(c) She is the loving and caring mother of two children.
(d) She is moving to England with her children.
4. How does Antoinette describe everything at her school?
(a) Grey like the stones.
(b) Very colorful.
(c) Brightness or dark.
(d) Cool and soothing.
5. Where is Aunt Cora returning from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Mason say the servants can smell?
2. In Part 1, why is Aunt Cora concerned about the family just after Antoinette's mother remarried?
3. Where does Myra say everyone went?
4. Where do the newly married Mason's spend their honeymoon?
5. What significant event occurs just before the story begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antoinette's husband say about her comments about England?
2. Are any of the nuns sympathetic to Antoinette on her first day of school?
3. How does Antoinette feel when she first visits the convent school?
4. What does Antoinette see in the sky during her unsettling dream?
5. Why does Christophine live with the Cosways?
6. How does Antoinette know what is behind the locked door?
7. Why is Grace Poole angry with Antoinette the morning Antoinette wakes up with swollen, red wrists?
8. What is her husband's reaction to Antoinette's story about sleeping in the moonlight?
9. What thoughts does Antoinette's husband disclose concerning his feelings about the servants at Grandbois?
10. What is the dream Antoinette mentions having just after her fight with Tia?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)