|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What significant event occurs just before the story begins?
(a) England and France are at war over the ownership of the West Indies.
(b) The slaves are emancipated.
(c) Jamaica is a former colony that wins its independence from England.
(d) There is a slave uprising in Spanish Town.
2. Where does Antoinette go to school?
(a) Mount Calvary Convent.
(b) Queen Victoria's Royal Academy.
(c) Spanish Town School for GIrls.
(d) Saint Mary's.
3. Where does Myra say everyone went?
(a) On a picnic.
(b) To a wedding.
(c) To hell.
(d) To town.
4. What does Antoinette recognize about her mother when she first goes to visit her after moving from Coulibri Estate?
(a) Her hair and dress.
(b) The perfume she wears.
(c) Her eyes.
(d) Her beautiful smile.
5. Who is Christophine?
(a) A servant who lives in Spanish Town.
(b) A Creole woman related to the estate owner.
(c) The estate owner's best friend.
(d) A former slave who has stayed on as a servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of Antoinette's mother after they leave Coulibri?
2. Where do the newly married Mason's spend their honeymoon?
3. What is Antoinette's favorite picture?
4. What type of stories are read to the school girls when they do their needle work?
5. Where does Antoinette arrive in her dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mixed sentiments revealed by Antoinette's husband's letter to his father.
2. Does Antoinette's husband seem to change the morning after he and Antoinette share their first intimate evening together at Grandbois?
3. What is Antoinette's fascination with the tapestry?
4. Describe the incident Antoinette reveals to her husband about what happened to her when she was a young girl at Grandbois.
5. What happens between Antoinette and her husband that seems to seal the fate of their relationship?
6. Who introduces Amelie into the story and how is she described?
7. What fascinates Antoinette as she begins her narrative in Part Three?
8. What becomes of Antoinette's mother at the close of Part One?
9. Does Antoinette's husband witness any behavior in Antoinette that confirms his concern about her?
10. What do we learn about Antoinette's husband from Grace Poole's discourse about her interview?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)