|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Christophine go to live?
(a) To Trinidad.
(b) Back to Coulibri.
(c) With her son.
(d) With Mr. Mason.
2. What significant event occurs just before the story begins?
(a) England and France are at war over the ownership of the West Indies.
(b) The slaves are emancipated.
(c) There is a slave uprising in Spanish Town.
(d) Jamaica is a former colony that wins its independence from England.
3. What happens to Antoinette when she grows into a young lady of about seventeen?
(a) She marries Sandi.
(b) She becomes a nanny.
(c) Mr. Mason introduces her to "proper society".
(d) She moves to England.
4. Who owns Coulibri Estate at the beginning of the story?
(a) The Mason family.
(b) Antoinette Cosway.
(c) Mr. Rochester.
(d) Annette Cosway.
5. What does Antoinette wear in her dream?
(a) A red satin gown.
(b) Tia's dress.
(c) A grey nightgown.
(d) A beautiful white dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antoinette feel when Mr. Mason tells her about their visitor(s)?
2. How does Antoinette's demeanor change after she leaves school?
3. How does the Bishop feel about the nuns?
4. How does Antoinette feel about the convent?
5. Who is invited to spend the winter with Mr. Mason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is given that Part Two is narrated by someone other than Antoinette?
2. What is the dream Antoinette mentions having just after her fight with Tia?
3. Who does Grace exclude from the feeling of safety provided by staying at the house?
4. Describe the person Grace is hired to care for.
5. What happens to Mr. Mason after the fire?
6. What is Antoinette's husband's response about her thoughts on death?
7. What is her husband's reaction to Antoinette's story about sleeping in the moonlight?
8. Are any of the nuns sympathetic to Antoinette on her first day of school?
9. Describe the room that Antoinette visits one night when she has taken the keys from Grace.
10. Describe the events immediately leading up to the fire at Coulibri Estate.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)