|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Antoinette when she grows into a young lady of about seventeen?
(a) She moves to England.
(b) Mr. Mason introduces her to "proper society".
(c) She marries Sandi.
(d) She becomes a nanny.
2. How does Antoinette feel about the convent?
(a) It is her refuge.
(b) It makes her happy.
(c) It is a prison.
(d) It is sad and depressing.
3. Part One is told from whose point of view?
(a) Aunt Cora's.
4. Where does Antoinette go soon after she leaves Coulibri Estate?
(a) She moves to England with her aunt.
(b) She moves to Trinidad with a servant.
(c) She is sent to Dominca to attend school.
(d) A school for Creole girls in Spanish Town.
5. What is wrong with Pierre as a child?
(a) He falls off his horse and is badly injured.
(b) He tries to kill his sister.
(c) He finds out his father is a former slave owner.
(d) He staggers when he walks and cannot speak clearly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Immediately following Antoinette's description of her dream, what does the nun tell Antoinette to do after they have talked?
2. How long has Annette been a widow?
3. Who does Mr. Mason want to hire as servants?
4. What is a glacis?
5. Who rescues Antoinette from being harassed and taunted by a mean boy and girl near the end of Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Grace Poole seem to take good care of Antoinette?
2. During an intimate conversation with her husband what does Antoinette say about death?
3. What startles Grace Poole as she is sitting at the table at the end of the narrative?
4. Do the Jamaican "ladies" approve of Antoinette's mother?
5. What fascinates Antoinette as she begins her narrative in Part Three?
6. How does Antoinette describe the garden at Coulibri?
7. Does Antoinette believe Christophine is an "obeah" woman?
8. What is Antoinette's connection to the Grandbois estate?
9. What evidence is given that Part Two is narrated by someone other than Antoinette?
10. What impression does Grace give of the world she lives in?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)