|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Godfrey and Sass?
(a) Two wealthy plantation owners near Coulibri.
(b) English suitors of the Mason widow.
(c) Two former slaves who stay on as Cosway servants.
(d) Troublemakers who spread gossip about former slave owners.
2. What does Antoinette wear in her dream?
(a) A red satin gown.
(b) A beautiful white dress.
(c) A grey nightgown.
(d) Tia's dress.
3. Why does Antoinette resent the nuns' cheerful faces?
(a) They are only nice when visitors are there.
(b) They are mocking her.
(c) She believes they are safe.
(d) She is forced to stay with them.
4. What does Antoinette call her step-father one night?
(c) Mr. Mason.
(d) White pappy.
5. Where does Antoinette go soon after she leaves Coulibri Estate?
(a) She moves to Trinidad with a servant.
(b) She is sent to Dominca to attend school.
(c) She moves to England with her aunt.
(d) A school for Creole girls in Spanish Town.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, why is Aunt Cora concerned about the family just after Antoinette's mother remarried?
2. What does Antoinette remember when she is speaking with the nun after her dream?
3. What becomes of Pierre after the family leaves Coulibri Estate?
4. Who rescues Antoinette from being harassed and taunted by a mean boy and girl near the end of Part One?
5. In the story, how do the newly freed slaves behave towards their former white owners?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antoinette know what is behind the locked door?
2. Does Antoinette's husband like Grandbois?
3. What startles Grace Poole as she is sitting at the table at the end of the narrative?
4. Does Antoinette's husband seem happy about his recent marriage?
5. Who introduces Amelie into the story and how is she described?
6. What is the dream Antoinette mentions having just after her fight with Tia?
7. Who is Aunt Cora?
8. How does Antoinette describe the rooms she finds herself living in during Part Three?
9. Describe the events immediately leading up to the fire at Coulibri Estate.
10. How is Sandi reintroduced into Antoinette's narrative of Part Three?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)