|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antoinette's husband dream happens to him after he drinks the wine Antoinette gave him?
(a) He is back in England.
(b) He is buried alive.
(c) His father is calling to him.
(d) He is lost in the woods.
2. What is Patois?
(a) A style of dress worn by house servants.
(b) A spicy dish served in the West Indies.
(c) A French dialect spoken in the Islands.
(d) An African language the former slaves speak.
3. Antoinette's husband says the young girl servant who meets them at the port is of what race?
(a) He describes her a half-caste.
(b) He describes her as Creole.
(c) He says she is Colored.
(d) He describes her as White.
4. What happens to Antoinette's inheritance in Part 2?
(a) It was used to pay for her schooling.
(b) It belongs to her husband now.
(c) She has squandered it away.
(d) She had no inheritance.
5. What is the weather like when the couple arrive on the island?
(a) Windy with the threat of a hurricane.
(b) Sunny with a cool, refreshing breeze.
(c) Raining and hot.
(d) The sun is blazing and it is extremely hot.
6. What is Antoinette's husband's first impression of the cottage?
(a) It is ugly.
(b) It is awkward and sad.
(c) It is beautiful.
(d) It needs repair.
7. What does Antoinette hear from her bedroom one night?
(a) Her husband cheating on her with one of the servant girls.
(b) Baptiste and Christophine arguing over obeah.
(c) Her husband making plans to move to England.
(d) A wild scream outside her window.
8. Why does a nameless boy sob in front of Antoinette and her husband?
(a) He wants to leave the island with them.
(b) His mother died.
(c) He was caught stealing.
(d) Baptiste beat him.
9. What does the author of the letter want Antoinette's husband to do?
(a) Visit the sender to learn the truth about his wife.
(b) Contact the local magistrate.
(c) It is a blackmail letter demanding money.
(d) Leave the island immediately because his life is in danger.
10. What does Antoinette ask her husband about England?
(a) Is it true it is like a dream?
(b) Does he miss England?
(c) Is it cold there?
(d) Will they go to live there?
11. What does the servant girl at the "honeymoon house" say repeatedly to Antoinette's husband?
(a) How lucky he is to be married to such a rich wife.
(b) The servant will only answer to the wife.
(c) He has been bewitched by an obeah spell.
(d) How sorry she is for him.
12. What does Antoinette's husband see his wife do that upsets him?
(a) Sneak into his study and read his journal.
(b) Poison his wine.
(c) Mistreat one of the servants.
(d) Kiss a former lover.
13. What advice does Christophine give Antoinette regarding fears about her husband?
(a) Stop worrying and be happy she is married to a wonderful man.
(b) Take over running the household like a good wife should.
(c) Cry and act weak to gain her husband's sympathy.
(d) Speak to her husband and make him understand.
14. How do Antoinette and her husband get to the cottage?
(a) In a private carriage.
(b) On horseback.
(c) By stagecoach.
(d) They walk.
15. How does Antoinette's husband feel about Creoles of pure English descent?
(a) They are not really English or European.
(b) They are just as proper as European English.
(c) They are beautiful people.
(d) They no different than European English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Antoinette like her husband calling her Bertha?
2. From whom does Antoinette's husband get a disturbing letter?
3. What does Antoinette mock her husband about on their way to the cottage?
4. Who came to stare at the couple when they arrived from Jamaica?
5. What does Antoinette do when she and her husband reach the boundary of the estate?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)