|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the porter from?
(a) Somewhere else.
(d) He is a native of the island.
2. Why doesn't Antoinette like her husband calling her Bertha?
(a) She thinks the name is too formal, too British.
(b) It is not her name.
(c) She thinks the name is ugly.
(d) She thinks he is trying to turn her into someone else.
3. What does Antoinette give her husband when they cross onto the estate?
(a) Water from a spring.
(b) A hug.
(c) A wildflower.
(d) She kisses him.
4. Who is the first new character the reader meets in Part Two?
(a) Jo Jo.
5. What advice does Christophine give Antoinette regarding fears about her husband?
(a) Stop worrying and be happy she is married to a wonderful man.
(b) Speak to her husband and make him understand.
(c) Cry and act weak to gain her husband's sympathy.
(d) Take over running the household like a good wife should.
6. What is the name of the main town near the "honeymoon cottage" of Part Two?
(a) St. Pierre.
7. What is Patois?
(a) An African language the former slaves speak.
(b) A French dialect spoken in the Islands.
(c) A spicy dish served in the West Indies.
(d) A style of dress worn by house servants.
8. Who are the Mounes Mors of the island?
(a) The original inhabitants of the island.
(b) The practioners of voodoo.
(c) The Dead Ones.
(d) The people of French descent.
9. What shocks Antoinette's husband too much to speak?
(a) The way his wife looks the night she gets home late.
(b) Baptiste ignores his orders.
(c) Christophine tries to poison him.
(d) Daniel Cosway is murdered.
10. What does Antoinette's husband learn from his visit to the author of the letter he received in Part Two?
(a) Christophene is about to be arrested.
(b) Antoinette is a half-caste.
(c) The priest wrote the letter.
(d) James Cosway is his wife's half-brother.
11. How does Antoinette tell her husband she feels about the idea of happiness?
(a) She doesn't believe in happiness.
(b) She believes she can finally be happy.
(c) It makes her feel afriad.
(d) She feels happiness is unattainable.
12. Who came to stare at the couple when they arrived from Jamaica?
(b) Two women.
(c) Three little boys.
(d) The servants.
13. How does Antoinette's husband feel his first morning at the island?
14. What happens to Antoinette's husband when he wakes up from his rum-induced sleep?
(a) He wanders into the forest and gets lost.
(b) He writes a letter to his father.
(c) He asks for a stong pot of coffee.
(d) He argues with his wife.
15. How does Antoinette's husband feel things will look in the sun?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the servant girl at the "honeymoon house" say repeatedly to Antoinette's husband?
2. What happens to Antoinette's inheritance in Part 2?
3. How does the porter feel about the island?
4. Who does Antoinette's husband decide to visit concerning the letter he received?
5. What is the name of the porter?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)