|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the estate where the cottage is located?
(a) It is not named.
(c) Grace Poole.
2. What shocks Antoinette's husband too much to speak?
(a) Baptiste ignores his orders.
(b) Christophine tries to poison him.
(c) The way his wife looks the night she gets home late.
(d) Daniel Cosway is murdered.
3. What does the servant girl at the "honeymoon house" say repeatedly to Antoinette's husband?
(a) How sorry she is for him.
(b) The servant will only answer to the wife.
(c) How lucky he is to be married to such a rich wife.
(d) He has been bewitched by an obeah spell.
4. What does Antoinette's husband wonder after he writes his father a letter?
(a) When he will see his father again.
(b) How the letters get posted.
(c) What Antoinette is doing.
(d) If his father is proud of him.
5. When has Antoinette been to the cottage before?
(a) This is her first time to the cottage.
(b) She has been there three times before.
(c) Once with her Aunt Cora.
(d) With her family to get away from the hot weather in summer.
6. What is Antoinette's husband's impression of the people living on the honeymoon island?
(a) They are cheerful.
(b) They are sombre.
(c) They are greedy.
(d) They are lazy.
7. How many children does Christophine have?
(a) A son and a daughter.
(b) One son.
(c) Twin boys.
8. What is the weather like when the couple arrive on the island?
(a) Windy with the threat of a hurricane.
(b) The sun is blazing and it is extremely hot.
(c) Raining and hot.
(d) Sunny with a cool, refreshing breeze.
9. What does Antoinette's husband write to Mr. Fraser in a personal letter?
(a) He enquires about his father's health.
(b) He is considering a book about obeah.
(c) He wants arrangements made to return to Jamaica.
(d) He wants to have Daniel Cosway arrested.
10. Who narrates most of Part Two?
(b) Mr. Mason.
(c) Antionette's husband.
11. Who should Antoinette's husband have written to earlier?
(a) The housekeeper.
(b) Mr. Mason.
(c) Richard Mason.
(d) His father.
12. Who are the Mounes Mors of the island?
(a) The Dead Ones.
(b) The people of French descent.
(c) The original inhabitants of the island.
(d) The practioners of voodoo.
13. What does Antoinette's husband see his wife do that upsets him?
(a) Kiss a former lover.
(b) Mistreat one of the servants.
(c) Sneak into his study and read his journal.
(d) Poison his wine.
14. Who came to stare at the couple when they arrived from Jamaica?
(b) Three little boys.
(c) Two women.
(d) The servants.
15. Why does a nameless boy sob in front of Antoinette and her husband?
(a) He wants to leave the island with them.
(b) His mother died.
(c) He was caught stealing.
(d) Baptiste beat him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Antoinette and her husband stay their first night at the honeymoon island?
2. What does Antoinette say about the earth on the estate?
3. Why does Antoinette visit her beloved former servant in Part Two?
4. How do Antoinette and her husband get to the cottage?
5. What does the author of the letter want Antoinette's husband to do?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)