|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the servant girl at the "honeymoon house" say repeatedly to Antoinette's husband?
(a) He has been bewitched by an obeah spell.
(b) How lucky he is to be married to such a rich wife.
(c) How sorry she is for him.
(d) The servant will only answer to the wife.
2. What does Antoinette do when she and her husband reach the boundary of the estate?
(a) She thinks of England.
(b) She runs towards the cottage.
(c) She smiles.
(d) She cries.
3. When has Antoinette been to the cottage before?
(a) This is her first time to the cottage.
(b) She has been there three times before.
(c) Once with her Aunt Cora.
(d) With her family to get away from the hot weather in summer.
4. How else does Antoinette's husband describe this servant girl?
(a) Lovely and malignant, like the place.
(b) Angry like a storm about to break.
(c) Lithe and cheerful like an island breeze.
(d) Withering and dull.
5. When Antoinette's husband is recalling the events during his marriage to Antoinette, what bargain does he make with her?
(a) He will bring her safety.
(b) He will always take care of her.
(c) He will be a good husband.
(d) He will trust her if she trusts him.
6. What does Antoinette's husband see his wife do that upsets him?
(a) Mistreat one of the servants.
(b) Sneak into his study and read his journal.
(c) Kiss a former lover.
(d) Poison his wine.
7. What is the name of the porter?
(a) Jo Jo.
(c) Young Bull.
8. What does Antoinette's husband write to Mr. Fraser in a personal letter?
(a) He wants to have Daniel Cosway arrested.
(b) He is considering a book about obeah.
(c) He enquires about his father's health.
(d) He wants arrangements made to return to Jamaica.
9. What is Antoinette's husband's impression of the people living on the honeymoon island?
(a) They are lazy.
(b) They are sombre.
(c) They are cheerful.
(d) They are greedy.
10. Why does Antoinette visit her beloved former servant in Part Two?
(a) She wants the servant's help to leave the Island.
(b) She wants the servant to work for her again.
(c) She hears the servant is very ill.
(d) She believes the servant can give her an obeah love potion.
11. What are fireflies called on the island where Antoinette and her husband honeymoon?
(b) Lightening bugs.
(d) La belle.
12. Who narrates most of Part Two?
(b) Mr. Mason.
(c) Antionette's husband.
13. From whom does Antoinette's husband get a disturbing letter?
(a) Daniel Cosway.
(b) Aunt Cora.
(c) His father.
(d) His lawyer.
14. Where is the porter from?
(b) Somewhere else.
(d) He is a native of the island.
15. Why doesn't Antoinette like her husband calling her Bertha?
(a) She thinks he is trying to turn her into someone else.
(b) It is not her name.
(c) She thinks the name is too formal, too British.
(d) She thinks the name is ugly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Patois?
2. Why doesn't Antoinette's husband like the her name "Antoinette"?
3. Antoinette's husband says the young girl servant who meets them at the port is of what race?
4. What does Antoinette mock her husband about on their way to the cottage?
5. What does Antoinette ask her husband about England?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)