|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where and what is Spanish Town?
(a) It is a slum located in Negril.
(b) It is a port city in Dominica.
(c) It is a large, sophisticated town in Jamaica.
(d) It is a small shanty town near the Coulibri estate.
2. What is Antoinette's favorite picture?
(a) A portrait of her father and mother.
(b) "The Miller's Daughter".
(c) "The Dancer".
(d) A portrait of her with her brother.
3. Who are Godfrey and Sass?
(a) Troublemakers who spread gossip about former slave owners.
(b) Two former slaves who stay on as Cosway servants.
(c) English suitors of the Mason widow.
(d) Two wealthy plantation owners near Coulibri.
4. How does Antoinette feel in her dream?
5. Immediately following Antoinette's description of her dream, what does the nun tell Antoinette to do after they have talked?
(a) Go back to bed.
(b) Stay awake for the rest of the night.
(c) Think happy thoughts.
6. Where do the newly married Mason's spend their honeymoon?
(b) Spanish Town.
7. What does Antoinette remember her mother wearing as Part One ends?
(a) Her wedding dress.
(b) A red flower in her hair.
(c) Her mended riding habit.
(d) Her soft nightgown.
8. Who is invited to spend the winter with Mr. Mason?
(a) Sandi Cosway.
(c) Some English friends.
(d) Aunt Cora.
9. How does Myra always look?
10. What happens to Antoinette when she grows into a young lady of about seventeen?
(a) Mr. Mason introduces her to "proper society".
(b) She becomes a nanny.
(c) She moves to England.
(d) She marries Sandi.
11. What does Antoinette call her step-father one night?
(a) White pappy.
(b) Mr. Mason.
12. Who rescues Antoinette from being harassed and taunted by a mean boy and girl near the end of Part One?
(c) Aunt Cora.
13. Where does Antoinette arrive in her dream?
(a) On a ship.
(b) On a mountain.
(c) An open field.
(d) An enclosed garden.
14. What does Antoinette recognize about her mother when she first goes to visit her after moving from Coulibri Estate?
(a) Her hair and dress.
(b) The perfume she wears.
(c) Her beautiful smile.
(d) Her eyes.
15. What is wrong with Pierre as a child?
(a) He tries to kill his sister.
(b) He staggers when he walks and cannot speak clearly.
(c) He finds out his father is a former slave owner.
(d) He falls off his horse and is badly injured.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of food do the Mason's eat?
2. What does Antoinette remember when she is speaking with the nun after her dream?
3. Where is Aunt Cora returning from?
4. Who is Antoinette following in her dream?
5. In the story, how do the newly freed slaves behave towards their former white owners?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)