|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who rescues Antoinette from being harassed and taunted by a mean boy and girl near the end of Part One?
(b) Aunt Cora.
2. Why do Tia and Antoinette cease to be friends?
(a) Tia has to go work for another family in the West Indies.
(b) Antoinette is told she cannot be friends with Tia because Tia is black.
(c) Antoinette moves away to Spanish Town.
(d) They have an argument at the "bathing pool."
3. Who does Mr. Mason want to hire as servants?
(a) Mannie and Myra.
(b) Baptiste and Jo Jo.
(d) Proper British servants.
4. Who owns Coulibri Estate at the beginning of the story?
(a) Mr. Rochester.
(b) Antoinette Cosway.
(c) Annette Cosway.
(d) The Mason family.
5. What does Mr. Mason say the servants can smell?
(a) The new flowers in the garden.
(b) The hurricane winds as they approach the island.
(c) The rum on his wife's breath.
6. What does Antoinette remember that her mother hated?
(a) Cool shade.
(c) Mr. Mason.
(d) Strong light.
7. Where does Antoinette go to school?
(a) Queen Victoria's Royal Academy.
(b) Spanish Town School for GIrls.
(c) Mount Calvary Convent.
(d) Saint Mary's.
8. What does Antoinette pray for?
(c) Her mother to get well.
(d) A husband.
9. What is a glacis?
(a) A large covered porch.
(b) A look-out tower attached to a large manion.
(c) A large fan used to keep the house cool.
(d) The French word for a glass.
10. What is Mrs. Cosway's situation at the beginning of the story?
(a) She is the loving and caring mother of two children.
(b) She is an important part of Spanish Town society.
(c) She is a poor widow of five years.
(d) She is moving to England with her children.
11. In the story, how do the newly freed slaves behave towards their former white owners?
(a) They don't care one way or the other about their former owners.
(b) They are discontent and some work grudginly for their former owners.
(c) They rebel and kill many of the former slaveowners.
(d) They continue to work happily for their former owners.
12. Part One is told from whose point of view?
(c) Aunt Cora's.
13. What does Antoinette recognize about her mother when she first goes to visit her after moving from Coulibri Estate?
(a) Her beautiful smile.
(b) The perfume she wears.
(c) Her hair and dress.
(d) Her eyes.
14. How does Antoinette describe everything at her school?
(a) Brightness or dark.
(b) Very colorful.
(c) Cool and soothing.
(d) Grey like the stones.
15. What kind of food do the Mason's eat?
(a) Mostly French food.
(b) Traditional Jamaican food.
(c) Rich, delicioius, spicey food.
(d) English food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the nun give Antoinette after wakes up from her dream?
2. What becomes of Antoinette's mother after they leave Coulibri?
3. Why does Antoinette resent the nuns' cheerful faces?
4. How do the nuns describe beauty to Antoinette?
5. How does Antoinette feel when Mr. Mason tells her about their visitor(s)?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)