|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Mason?
(a) He is the Coulibri Estate owner's cousin.
(b) He is an investor who wants to buy Coulibri Estate.
(c) He is the Coulibri Estate owner's rich uncle.
(d) He is a rich Englishman who marries Antoinette's mother.
2. How does Antoinette feel when Mr. Mason tells her about their visitor(s)?
3. What is a glacis?
(a) A large fan used to keep the house cool.
(b) A look-out tower attached to a large manion.
(c) The French word for a glass.
(d) A large covered porch.
4. How does Antoinette feel about the garden?
(a) She dislikes that is overgrown and unkept.
(b) She is afraid to go there.
(c) She believes it is beautiful and must be like the garden in the Bible.
(d) She believes the garden is magical.
5. Immediately following Antoinette's description of her dream, what does the nun tell Antoinette to do after they have talked?
(a) Go back to bed.
(b) Stay awake for the rest of the night.
(c) Think happy thoughts.
6. In Part 1, why is Aunt Cora concerned about the family just after Antoinette's mother remarried?
(a) The former slaves are angry at their former owners and pose a threat.
(b) Aunt Cora wants the family to move to Spanish town.
(c) Aunt Cora doesn't want money wasted to repair Coulibri Estate.
(d) Aunt Cora wants to sell the estate for money to live off of.
7. Why does Antoinette resent the nuns' cheerful faces?
(a) They are only nice when visitors are there.
(b) They are mocking her.
(c) She believes they are safe.
(d) She is forced to stay with them.
8. Who is Antoinette following in her dream?
(c) Her mother.
(d) A man.
9. Why do Tia and Antoinette cease to be friends?
(a) Tia has to go work for another family in the West Indies.
(b) Antoinette moves away to Spanish Town.
(c) Antoinette is told she cannot be friends with Tia because Tia is black.
(d) They have an argument at the "bathing pool."
10. What type of stories are read to the school girls when they do their needle work?
(a) History of the British Empire.
(b) Stories of Queen Victoria.
(c) How to behave like ladies.
(d) The lives of saints.
11. Where does Antoinette go soon after she leaves Coulibri Estate?
(a) She is sent to Dominca to attend school.
(b) A school for Creole girls in Spanish Town.
(c) She moves to England with her aunt.
(d) She moves to Trinidad with a servant.
12. What does Antoinette recognize about her mother when she first goes to visit her after moving from Coulibri Estate?
(a) Her beautiful smile.
(b) Her hair and dress.
(c) Her eyes.
(d) The perfume she wears.
13. How long has Annette been a widow?
(a) Barely two years.
(b) Nearly five years.
(c) For ten years.
(d) For one year.
14. What else does Antoinette say she dreams in Part One?
(a) That she is in hell.
(b) That her mother comes to take her home.
(c) That she has a dismal future in store.
(d) That she is entering a beautiful forest.
15. Part One is told from whose point of view?
(c) Aunt Cora's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of Pierre after the family leaves Coulibri Estate?
2. Who are Godfrey and Sass?
3. What is the fate of Coulibri Estate?
4. How long after they were married do the Mason's start having trouble?
5. What is wrong with Pierre as a child?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)