|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Antoinette's demeanor change after she leaves school?
(a) She is bitter.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She is a perfect young lady.
(d) She is increasingly confused about the past and present.
2. Where does Myra say everyone went?
(a) On a picnic.
(b) To a wedding.
(c) To hell.
(d) To town.
3. Where and what is Spanish Town?
(a) It is a small shanty town near the Coulibri estate.
(b) It is a large, sophisticated town in Jamaica.
(c) It is a port city in Dominica.
(d) It is a slum located in Negril.
4. What becomes of Pierre after the family leaves Coulibri Estate?
(a) He becomes a magistrate in the West Indies.
(b) He goes to school in England.
(c) He dies from injuries received in a fire.
(d) He is cured from his childhood illness.
5. What is a glacis?
(a) A large covered porch.
(b) The French word for a glass.
(c) A look-out tower attached to a large manion.
(d) A large fan used to keep the house cool.
6. How does Antoinette feel in her dream?
7. Where does Antoinette arrive in her dream?
(a) An open field.
(b) On a mountain.
(c) On a ship.
(d) An enclosed garden.
8. How long after they were married do the Mason's start having trouble?
(a) When the new servants quit.
(b) Over a year.
(c) Less than a month.
(d) After their honeymoon.
9. How do the nuns describe beauty to Antoinette?
(a) It is a mortal sin,
(b) It is transcendent.
(c) It is to be greatly desired.
(d) Beauty comes from the soul.
10. How many times has Antoinette had the dream when she describes it so vividly in Part One?
(a) She does not say.
(b) This is the first time.
(c) This is the second time.
(d) Three times.
11. Who are Godfrey and Sass?
(a) Troublemakers who spread gossip about former slave owners.
(b) Two former slaves who stay on as Cosway servants.
(c) Two wealthy plantation owners near Coulibri.
(d) English suitors of the Mason widow.
12. How does the Bishop feel about the nuns?
(a) They need to mind their own business.
(b) They are excellent teachers.
(c) They are too strict.
(d) They are very lax.
13. What does Mr. Mason say the servants can smell?
(a) The rum on his wife's breath.
(b) The new flowers in the garden.
(d) The hurricane winds as they approach the island.
14. How long has Annette been a widow?
(a) For one year.
(b) Barely two years.
(c) Nearly five years.
(d) For ten years.
15. What is the fate of Coulibri Estate?
(a) It is given to the former slaves as compensation.
(b) It is burned down by a mob of angry former slaves.
(c) It is where the family lives for many years.
(d) It is abandoned and falls into ruin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Antoinette say she dreams in Part One?
2. Who does Mr. Mason want to hire as servants?
3. What does Antoinette remember her mother wearing as Part One ends?
4. What type of stories are read to the school girls when they do their needle work?
5. What happens to Antoinette when she grows into a young lady of about seventeen?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)