|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antoinette remember her mother wearing as Part One ends?
(a) Her mended riding habit.
(b) Her wedding dress.
(c) Her soft nightgown.
(d) A red flower in her hair.
2. What is the fate of Coulibri Estate?
(a) It is abandoned and falls into ruin.
(b) It is given to the former slaves as compensation.
(c) It is burned down by a mob of angry former slaves.
(d) It is where the family lives for many years.
3. How does the Bishop feel about the nuns?
(a) They are too strict.
(b) They need to mind their own business.
(c) They are excellent teachers.
(d) They are very lax.
4. Why does Antoinette resent the nuns' cheerful faces?
(a) She believes they are safe.
(b) They are mocking her.
(c) She is forced to stay with them.
(d) They are only nice when visitors are there.
5. What happens to Antoinette when she grows into a young lady of about seventeen?
(a) She becomes a nanny.
(b) Mr. Mason introduces her to "proper society".
(c) She moves to England.
(d) She marries Sandi.
6. What is wrong with Pierre as a child?
(a) He staggers when he walks and cannot speak clearly.
(b) He falls off his horse and is badly injured.
(c) He finds out his father is a former slave owner.
(d) He tries to kill his sister.
7. What does Antoinette remember when she is speaking with the nun after her dream?
(a) She likes to eat cake.
(b) She wants to move to England.
(c) She misses Christophene.
(d) That her mother is dead.
8. Where does Christophine go to live?
(a) Back to Coulibri.
(b) With Mr. Mason.
(c) To Trinidad.
(d) With her son.
9. What does Antoinette call her step-father one night?
(b) White pappy.
(d) Mr. Mason.
10. What is Antoinette's favorite picture?
(a) A portrait of her with her brother.
(b) "The Miller's Daughter".
(c) A portrait of her father and mother.
(d) "The Dancer".
11. How does Antoinette feel in her dream?
12. Who rescues Antoinette from being harassed and taunted by a mean boy and girl near the end of Part One?
(b) Aunt Cora.
13. Why do Tia and Antoinette cease to be friends?
(a) They have an argument at the "bathing pool."
(b) Antoinette moves away to Spanish Town.
(c) Tia has to go work for another family in the West Indies.
(d) Antoinette is told she cannot be friends with Tia because Tia is black.
14. Part One is told from whose point of view?
(a) Aunt Cora's.
15. Where does Antoinette arrive in her dream?
(a) On a mountain.
(b) On a ship.
(c) An open field.
(d) An enclosed garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antoinette feel when Mr. Mason tells her about their visitor(s)?
2. What becomes of Pierre after the family leaves Coulibri Estate?
3. Who does Mr. Mason want to hire as servants?
4. What type of stories are read to the school girls when they do their needle work?
5. In Part 1, why is Aunt Cora concerned about the family just after Antoinette's mother remarried?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)