|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beatrice's second attempt to abort the child?
2. What job does Beatrice offer the town's workers who refuse to do it?
3. What is the only thing that will rouse Beatrice from her bed during her depression?
4. Why is there no major Christmas party at the hall at Wideacre this year?
5. Why does John take a trip before the baby is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beatrice alter events so that John is blamed for Mama's death?
2. Describe the scene in which John is taken away by the doctors to begin his alcohol addiction treatment.
3. How does Beatrice react to Richard's brush with death and how is she perceived to be shallow in her concerns?
4. What causes Mama to collapse in the library?
5. How does Beatrice know that Ralph is getting closer to returning to Wideacre?
6. How does Beatrice try to abort another child?
7. What does Beatrice tell Celia to coerce her to support John's being sent away for alcohol abuse treatment?
8. How does the story end?
9. What does John confront Beatrice on when he returns home?
10. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Beatrice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Culler. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Culler in the story?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)