|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John determine upon inspecting the baby?
2. Who is able to inherit Wideacre now that the entail is complete?
3. Which of the following activities do the people of Wideacre NOT use the common grounds?
4. What has the family eliminated from its meals lately?
5. Why is there no major Christmas party at the hall at Wideacre this year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beatrice try to explain the "early" birth of her child?
2. How does Beatrice try to abort another child?
3. How does Beatrice react when she learns that John has asked Harry's permission to marry her?
4. Explain how the impending storm is a metaphor for Beatrice's death?
5. Why will Beatrice not set up a home with John in spite of his generous offers?
6. How does Beatrice manage to keep John away from home until she completes the purchase of the entail?
7. What causes Mama to collapse in the library?
8. Describe the scene in which John is taken away by the doctors to begin his alcohol addiction treatment.
9. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
10. How does Beatrice know that Ralph has returned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Harry. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the wheat harvest. What does the wheat symbolize for the workers? What does it mean for Beatrice and Wideacre? How does the nature of the wheat harvest change as the story extends?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of evil. Identify at least two themes about evil in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)