|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Giles kill himself?
2. Beatrice knows that the Culler is really ______________.
3. To what does John admit he was nearly addicted?
4. What is typically placed on top of the final shock of wheat?
5. Why do the people at the feast eat so little food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beatrice tell Celia to coerce her to support John's being sent away for alcohol abuse treatment?
2. How does Beatrice try to explain the "early" birth of her child?
3. How does Beatrice justify the radical changes that are occurring at Wideacre?
4. Explain how the impending storm is a metaphor for Beatrice's death?
5. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
6. How does Beatrice ultimately handle the pregnancy?
7. How does Beatrice manage to keep John away from home until she completes the purchase of the entail?
8. How does Beatrice manipulate Harry into a plan to buy out the entail on Wideacre so that Julia and Richard will one day inherit the estate?
9. How does Beatrice reinforce her ploy to have John sent away by planting a bottle of liquor in his room?
10. What does John confront Beatrice on when he returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Greed takes on a human persona in this story especially surrounding the character of Beatrice. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)