|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John take a trip before the baby is born?
2. Where do John and Beatrice live after their wedding?
3. What is held on the last day of the wheat harvest?
4. What does Celia ultimately want for Julia?
5. What eventually kills Mama?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which John is taken away by the doctors to begin his alcohol addiction treatment.
2. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
3. Why does Celia reject Beatrice's plan for Julia's inheritance of Wideacre?
4. How does Beatrice react to Richard's brush with death and how is she perceived to be shallow in her concerns?
5. How has the wheat harvest changed now that Beatrice is in control?
6. How does Beatrice reinforce her ploy to have John sent away by planting a bottle of liquor in his room?
7. Describe the scene of desperation that Harry and Beatrice witness at the Christmas party.
8. How does Beatrice try to explain the "early" birth of her child?
9. What instructions does John provide to care for Mama who has had a major shock?
10. How does Beatrice deceive Celia into thinking that Wideacre has fallen on hard times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Beatrice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
WIDEACRE is a classic story of good vs. evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)