|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Celia think is Julia's father?
2. Which of the following does John NOT do when he returns home?
3. How does Celia infuriate Beatrice before storming out of the house?
4. What does Beatrice know that Ralph plans to do?
5. Who indicates interest in buying Wideacre?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Celia reject Beatrice's plan for Julia's inheritance of Wideacre?
2. How does Beatrice ultimately handle the pregnancy?
3. How does Beatrice try to abort another child?
4. What is revealed about the characters in the Epilogue?
5. How does Beatrice manage to keep John away from home until she completes the purchase of the entail?
6. Why will Beatrice not set up a home with John in spite of his generous offers?
7. What causes Mama to collapse in the library?
8. What does John confront Beatrice on when he returns home?
9. What instructions does John provide to care for Mama who has had a major shock?
10. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of girls and women in the 18th century in England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st-century women do not?
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the wheat harvest. What does the wheat symbolize for the workers? What does it mean for Beatrice and Wideacre? How does the nature of the wheat harvest change as the story extends?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)