|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph send Beatrice for her birthday?
2. Whose presence does Beatrice now feel near her?
3. Which of the following does Beatrice NOT think after she is left alone in the house?
4. To what does John admit he was nearly addicted?
5. Who is able to inherit Wideacre now that the entail is complete?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beatrice react to Richard's brush with death and how is she perceived to be shallow in her concerns?
2. How does Beatrice manipulate Harry into a plan to buy out the entail on Wideacre so that Julia and Richard will one day inherit the estate?
3. How has the wheat harvest changed now that Beatrice is in control?
4. Explain Beatrice's perspective on love.
5. How does Beatrice know that Ralph is getting closer to returning to Wideacre?
6. What foreshadowing does the author create to indicate the imminent fate of Wideacre and its inhabitants?
7. How does Beatrice react when she learns that John has asked Harry's permission to marry her?
8. What causes Mama to collapse in the library?
9. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
10. What does John confront Beatrice on when he returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)