|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beatrice pay for the entail?
2. Who does the wheat doll resemble this year?
3. What is thrown at the carriage taking Beatrice, Harry, John and Celia home from the feast?
4. Who tells Beatrice that Mama has died?
5. What is Mama's condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tradition of the wheat doll on the last day of the harvest?
2. How does Beatrice justify the radical changes that are occurring at Wideacre?
3. How has the wheat harvest changed now that Beatrice is in control?
4. How does Beatrice react when she learns that John has asked Harry's permission to marry her?
5. How does John respond when he sees the newborn child?
6. How does Beatrice try to abort another child?
7. Describe the scene of desperation that Harry and Beatrice witness at the Christmas party.
8. What does John confront Beatrice on when he returns home?
9. Why will Beatrice not set up a home with John in spite of his generous offers?
10. Describe the scene in which John is taken away by the doctors to begin his alcohol addiction treatment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Celia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 1,377 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)