|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose presence does Beatrice now feel near her?
2. How does Celia infuriate Beatrice before storming out of the house?
3. Why did Giles kill himself?
4. What/who does Beatrice see at the window when lightning lights up the sky?
5. What does John prescribe for Mama's condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tradition of the wheat doll on the last day of the harvest?
2. Explain Beatrice's perspective on love.
3. How does Beatrice manipulate Harry into a plan to buy out the entail on Wideacre so that Julia and Richard will one day inherit the estate?
4. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
5. How does Beatrice know that Ralph has returned?
6. Describe the scene in which John is taken away by the doctors to begin his alcohol addiction treatment.
7. How does Beatrice react to Richard's brush with death and how is she perceived to be shallow in her concerns?
8. Describe the scene of desperation that Harry and Beatrice witness at the Christmas party.
9. What is revealed about the characters in the Epilogue?
10. How does Beatrice know that Ralph is getting closer to returning to Wideacre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Harry. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Greed takes on a human persona in this story especially surrounding the character of Beatrice. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)