|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice knows that the Culler is really ______________.
2. Which of the following activities do the people of Wideacre NOT use the common grounds?
3. How much medicine does Beatrice tell Celia to give Mama at a certain time?
4. Why is there no major Christmas party at the hall at Wideacre this year?
5. In what town does Beatrice find workers to build the fencing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the impending storm is a metaphor for Beatrice's death?
2. How does Beatrice know that Ralph has returned?
3. How does the story end?
4. Why will Beatrice not set up a home with John in spite of his generous offers?
5. What instructions does John provide to care for Mama who has had a major shock?
6. How does Beatrice try to abort another child?
7. How does Beatrice know that Ralph is getting closer to returning to Wideacre?
8. Explain Beatrice's perspective on love.
9. How does Beatrice alter events so that John is blamed for Mama's death?
10. How does Beatrice ultimately handle the pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Beatrice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the wheat harvest. What does the wheat symbolize for the workers? What does it mean for Beatrice and Wideacre? How does the nature of the wheat harvest change as the story extends?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of John. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)