|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Mama to pass out in the library?
2. How does Celia infuriate Beatrice before storming out of the house?
3. What does Beatrice tell Harry about Celia?
4. Who does John accuse of betraying him as he is taken away?
5. Why is Beatrice so conflicted about the changes that must occur at Wideacre?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beatrice react when she learns that John has asked Harry's permission to marry her?
2. Explain how the impending storm is a metaphor for Beatrice's death?
3. How does John respond when he sees the newborn child?
4. Describe the scene in which John is taken away by the doctors to begin his alcohol addiction treatment.
5. How does Beatrice know that Ralph is getting closer to returning to Wideacre?
6. How does Beatrice react to Richard's brush with death and how is she perceived to be shallow in her concerns?
7. How does Beatrice ultimately handle the pregnancy?
8. How does Beatrice know that Ralph has returned?
9. What does John confront Beatrice on when he returns home?
10. Describe the scene of desperation that Harry and Beatrice witness at the Christmas party.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Culler. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Culler in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of girls and women in the 18th century in England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st-century women do not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Harry and Ralph. How are they different? How are they similar? Why is Beatrice so attracted to both of them?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)