|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is held on the last day of the wheat harvest?
2. What is Beatrice's second attempt to abort the child?
3. How much medicine does Beatrice tell Celia to give Mama at a certain time?
4. Who is able to inherit Wideacre now that the entail is complete?
5. Why does Beatrice tell Harry he will never be without her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beatrice tell Celia to coerce her to support John's being sent away for alcohol abuse treatment?
2. Describe the scene of desperation that Harry and Beatrice witness at the Christmas party.
3. How does Beatrice react when she learns that John has asked Harry's permission to marry her?
4. How does Beatrice ultimately handle the pregnancy?
5. What foreshadowing does the author create to indicate the imminent fate of Wideacre and its inhabitants?
6. How does Beatrice know that Ralph has returned?
7. Describe the scene in which John is taken away by the doctors to begin his alcohol addiction treatment.
8. Explain Beatrice's perspective on love.
9. What does John confront Beatrice on when he returns home?
10. How does Beatrice try to explain the "early" birth of her child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of girls and women in the 18th century in England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st-century women do not?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Celia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Celia begins to show signs of strength as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Celia is growing stronger and more resilient and note why you selected the examples.
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)