|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the people of Wideacre called upon Beatrice to do again?
2. What does John tell Beatrice when he returns home?
3. How does Richard almost die when out with Beatrice one day?
4. What happens at the moment that Beatrice is killed?
5. Why does Beatrice ride her horse recklessly during hunting season?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the impending storm is a metaphor for Beatrice's death?
2. How does Beatrice deceive Celia into thinking that Wideacre has fallen on hard times?
3. Why will Beatrice not set up a home with John in spite of his generous offers?
4. How does Beatrice react when she learns that John has asked Harry's permission to marry her?
5. How has the wheat harvest changed now that Beatrice is in control?
6. What instructions does John provide to care for Mama who has had a major shock?
7. How does Beatrice know that Ralph is getting closer to returning to Wideacre?
8. How does the story end?
9. How does Beatrice alter events so that John is blamed for Mama's death?
10. What is the tradition of the wheat doll on the last day of the harvest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed takes on a human persona in this story especially surrounding the character of Beatrice. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Harry and Ralph. How are they different? How are they similar? Why is Beatrice so attracted to both of them?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Harry. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)