|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beatrice pay for the entail?
2. Where does John drive Beatrice one day?
3. How did Giles kill himself?
4. In what city does Beatrice intend to sell Wideacre's wheat crop?
5. Which of the following does John NOT do when he returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story end?
2. How does Beatrice ultimately handle the pregnancy?
3. What is the tradition of the wheat doll on the last day of the harvest?
4. How does Beatrice react to Richard's brush with death and how is she perceived to be shallow in her concerns?
5. Explain how the impending storm is a metaphor for Beatrice's death?
6. What causes Mama to collapse in the library?
7. How does Beatrice manipulate Harry into a plan to buy out the entail on Wideacre so that Julia and Richard will one day inherit the estate?
8. How does Beatrice try to explain the "early" birth of her child?
9. How does Beatrice reinforce her ploy to have John sent away by planting a bottle of liquor in his room?
10. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Greed takes on a human persona in this story especially surrounding the character of Beatrice. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the wheat harvest. What does the wheat symbolize for the workers? What does it mean for Beatrice and Wideacre? How does the nature of the wheat harvest change as the story extends?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)