|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had John gone to visit his father?
2. What is Beatrice's second attempt to abort the child?
3. What tragedy does Beatrice have to face at home?
4. John tells Beatrice that __________ is coming.
5. To what does John admit he was nearly addicted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
2. Why does Celia reject Beatrice's plan for Julia's inheritance of Wideacre?
3. Explain Beatrice's perspective on love.
4. How does Beatrice alter events so that John is blamed for Mama's death?
5. How does Beatrice justify the radical changes that are occurring at Wideacre?
6. What causes Mama to collapse in the library?
7. What is the tradition of the wheat doll on the last day of the harvest?
8. What is revealed about the characters in the Epilogue?
9. Describe the scene of desperation that Harry and Beatrice witness at the Christmas party.
10. How does Beatrice know that Ralph has returned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Celia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Culler. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Culler in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Celia begins to show signs of strength as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Celia is growing stronger and more resilient and note why you selected the examples.
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)