|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is blamed for Mama's death?
2. What does Ralph send Beatrice for her birthday?
3. Who tells Beatrice that Mama has died?
4. Who indicates interest in buying Wideacre?
5. Where do John and Beatrice live after their wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
2. Describe the scene in which John is taken away by the doctors to begin his alcohol addiction treatment.
3. How does Beatrice know that Ralph is getting closer to returning to Wideacre?
4. How does the story end?
5. What does John confront Beatrice on when he returns home?
6. How does Beatrice alter events so that John is blamed for Mama's death?
7. What is revealed about the characters in the Epilogue?
8. How does John respond when he sees the newborn child?
9. How does Beatrice reinforce her ploy to have John sent away by planting a bottle of liquor in his room?
10. How does Beatrice manipulate Harry into a plan to buy out the entail on Wideacre so that Julia and Richard will one day inherit the estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of evil. Identify at least two themes about evil in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of John. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)