|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice tell Harry about Celia?
2. What tragedy does Beatrice have to face at home?
3. Who indicates interest in buying Wideacre?
4. Why did Giles kill himself?
5. What do the people call the area of the cemetery where suicides are buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
2. How does Beatrice react to Richard's brush with death and how is she perceived to be shallow in her concerns?
3. How does the story end?
4. How does Beatrice manage to keep John away from home until she completes the purchase of the entail?
5. What is revealed about the characters in the Epilogue?
6. What causes Mama to collapse in the library?
7. How does Beatrice react when she learns that John has asked Harry's permission to marry her?
8. What does John confront Beatrice on when he returns home?
9. How does Beatrice reinforce her ploy to have John sent away by planting a bottle of liquor in his room?
10. Why will Beatrice not set up a home with John in spite of his generous offers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of girls and women in the 18th century in England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st-century women do not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)