|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird had Ralph once given Beatrice?
2. What idea of Mrs. Lacy's does Beatrice try to deflect?
3. Which of the following terms does Beatrice NOT use to describe Celia?
4. Why do Harry and Beatrice plan to renovate a suite on the west wing of the mansion?
5. What color are Beatrice's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tryst in which Beatrice learns about Harry's sexual proclivities.
2. What is the tipping point where Beatrice realizes she no longer has the upper hand over Harry?
3. Describe the metaphor Beatrice uses to compare her life with the land of Wideacre in the spring.
4. How does Beatrice come to realize that she is not her father's favored child after all?
5. Explain Beatrice's concept of the importance of her home, Wideacre, in the universe.
6. What secret does Mama keep that Beatrice is certain she must know.
7. What impediment stands in the way of Beatrice and Ralph's taking over Wideacre and what is the plan to remove it?
8. What are the circumstances of Harry and Beatrice's first sexual encounter?
9. Under what circumstances does Beatrice first meet Ralph?
10. How does Beatrice use a cat to subdue her mother so she can spend some time with Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WIDEACRE is a classic story of good vs. evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Beatrice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Celia begins to show signs of strength as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Celia is growing stronger and more resilient and note why you selected the examples.
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)