|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice think is the real reason her mother wants Harry to come home from school?
2. What does Beatrice call it when Harry interacts with the people of Wideacre?
3. What does Mrs. Lacy know about Beatrice when she sees her at port?
4. Who do the people of Wideacre look to for leadership?
5. What medicine is prescribed for Beatrice so that she can sleep at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing when mentioning the one-legged man?
2. How does Beatrice react when she hears of how near Ralph is getting to Wideacre?
3. How does Beatrice come to realize that she is not her father's favored child after all?
4. What is the relationship that is developing between Beatrice and Dr. McAndrew?
5. What is the tipping point where Beatrice realizes she no longer has the upper hand over Harry?
6. What are the circumstances of Harry and Beatrice's first sexual encounter?
7. Under what circumstances does Beatrice first meet Ralph?
8. How does Dr. McAndrews help Beatrice manage through the period when she is having nightmares about Ralph?
9. How are Beatrice and Ralph alike in their views of love and pleasure?
10. How are Celia and Beatrice different in appearance and demeanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Culler. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Culler in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Harry and Ralph. How are they different? How are they similar? Why is Beatrice so attracted to both of them?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)