|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character in WIDEACRE?
2. What does Harry do when Ralph beats him with a riding crop?
3. What part does Beatrice think she has been destined to play all her life?
4. Who will be raising Beatrice's child?
5. What land does Beatrice covet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the metaphor Beatrice uses to compare her life with the land of Wideacre in the spring.
2. When does Beatrice realize Ralph's influence over Harry?
3. What secret does Mama keep that Beatrice is certain she must know.
4. Explain Beatrice's concept of the importance of her home, Wideacre, in the universe.
5. How do Celia's maternal instincts give her a new, forceful personality?
6. Why does Mama think it important to introduce Celia into the household?
7. How does Dr. McAndrews help Beatrice manage through the period when she is having nightmares about Ralph?
8. Describe the tryst in which Beatrice learns about Harry's sexual proclivities.
9. What two things does Beatrice see as hurdles to her future and how does she plan to manage them?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing when mentioning the one-legged man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed takes on a human persona in this story especially surrounding the character of Beatrice. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Celia begins to show signs of strength as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Celia is growing stronger and more resilient and note why you selected the examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of incest as portrayed in the story. Why would the author have included such a controversial topic in the novel? Was incest more accepted in the 18th century than it is now? Explain.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)