|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the midwife who keeps Beatrice's secret about the baby?
(a) Ms. Mayfield.
(b) Ms. McCallister.
(c) Ms. Merry.
(d) Ms. Merrywether.
2. Why do the people at the feast eat so little food?
(a) They would rather drink.
(b) Their bellies are shrunken from starvation.
(c) They don't like the food selections.
(d) Hardly anyone shows up.
3. What is typically placed on top of the final shock of wheat?
(a) A flag.
(b) A basket of coins.
(c) A pitchfork.
(d) A wheat doll.
4. Who tells Beatrice that Mama has died?
5. Who is blamed for Mama's death?
(a) Ms. Merry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the pirates want with Beatrice?
2. Who is the London wheat buyer who buys Wideacre's wheat harvest?
3. Why does Celia refuse to take Beatrice's next child as her own?
4. What does John prescribe for Mama's condition?
5. Why does Beatrice tell Harry he will never be without her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Celia reject Beatrice's plan for Julia's inheritance of Wideacre?
2. What foreshadowing does the author create to indicate the imminent fate of Wideacre and its inhabitants?
3. What is the tradition of the wheat doll on the last day of the harvest?
4. How does Beatrice know that Ralph has returned?
5. How does Beatrice manage to keep John away from home until she completes the purchase of the entail?
6. How does the story end?
7. How does Beatrice manipulate Harry into a plan to buy out the entail on Wideacre so that Julia and Richard will one day inherit the estate?
8. Why will Beatrice not set up a home with John in spite of his generous offers?
9. Describe the scene of desperation that Harry and Beatrice witness at the Christmas party.
10. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)