|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Beatrice when the mob approaches the house?
(a) In the stables.
(b) In the house.
(c) In London.
(d) In the woods.
2. What is the name of the man for whom the pirate works?
3. What does Celia ultimately want for Julia?
(a) To have a home of her own one day.
(b) To share Wideacre with Richard.
(c) To become mistress of Wideacre.
(d) To go to school and not return.
4. What is typically placed on top of the final shock of wheat?
(a) A basket of coins.
(b) A flag.
(c) A wheat doll.
(d) A pitchfork.
5. What does John prescribe for Mama's condition?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph send Beatrice for her birthday?
2. Which of the following does NOT happen when the physicians come to take John away for treatment?
3. How does Celia infuriate Beatrice before storming out of the house?
4. Who is able to inherit Wideacre now that the entail is complete?
5. Which of the family members earns love and respect from kindnesses shown to the starving people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beatrice ultimately handle the pregnancy?
2. What causes Mama to collapse in the library?
3. What does John confront Beatrice on when he returns home?
4. Describe the scene of desperation that Harry and Beatrice witness at the Christmas party.
5. Describe the scene in which John is taken away by the doctors to begin his alcohol addiction treatment.
6. How does Beatrice react to Richard's brush with death and how is she perceived to be shallow in her concerns?
7. How does Beatrice deceive Celia into thinking that Wideacre has fallen on hard times?
8. How does the story end?
9. Why does Celia reject Beatrice's plan for Julia's inheritance of Wideacre?
10. What is revealed about the characters in the Epilogue?
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)