|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the wheat doll resemble this year?
(c) Beatrice and Harry.
(d) Julia and Richard.
2. What is Ralph doing when Beatrice walks out of the house?
(a) Sitting on a horse.
(b) Sitting in a wagon.
(c) Sitting in a carriage.
(d) Sitting on the ground.
3. Why does Beatrice tell Dr. Rose to keep John a little bit longer even though he is well enough to come home?
(a) There is influenza at home.
(b) Celia is ill.
(c) She is renovating his room.
(d) She is planning a surprise party for him.
4. Where do John and Beatrice live after their wedding?
(a) In a country cottage.
(b) In Dublin.
(c) At John's home.
(d) At Wideacre.
5. What happens at the moment that Beatrice is killed?
(a) A bell chimes.
(b) A hawk flies overhead.
(c) The dogs howl.
(d) Lightning strikes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign do the villagers make in Beatrice's presence?
2. In what town does Beatrice find workers to build the fencing?
3. What/who does Beatrice see at the window when lightning lights up the sky?
4. What does Celia say about the house at Wideacre?
5. Why does Beatrice tell Harry he will never be without her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tradition of the wheat doll on the last day of the harvest?
2. Why will Beatrice not set up a home with John in spite of his generous offers?
3. What is revealed about the characters in the Epilogue?
4. What causes Mama to collapse in the library?
5. How does Beatrice react when she learns that John has asked Harry's permission to marry her?
6. How does Beatrice react to Richard's brush with death and how is she perceived to be shallow in her concerns?
7. Why does Celia reject Beatrice's plan for Julia's inheritance of Wideacre?
8. How does Beatrice manipulate Harry into a plan to buy out the entail on Wideacre so that Julia and Richard will one day inherit the estate?
9. What inadvertently happens to restore John's reputation as a doctor?
10. How does John respond when he sees the newborn child?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)