|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Meg transport Ralph's body in order to get medical attention?
(a) On horseback.
(b) In a wagon.
(c) On a sled.
(d) In a handcart.
2. Why does Julia cry so much on the return voyage?
(a) She can sense the tension between Celia and Beatrice.
(b) She has colic.
(c) The wet nurse is ill and the child is not getting enough nourishment.
(d) The motion of the boat frightens her.
3. Who becomes enamored with Beatrice at Harry and Celia's wedding?
(a) Squire Deeds.
(b) Rev. Stone.
(d) Dr. McAndrew.
4. Why does Celia chastise Beatrice regarding Julia?
(a) She is not to take Julia without permission.
(b) She cannot buy her any more toys.
(c) She cannot give her candy.
(d) She must let her finish her naps.
5. How does Beatrice plan to retain a hold over Harry?
(a) By being his business manager.
(b) By acting as confidante.
(c) By providing physical pleasure.
(d) By threatening to tell secrets about him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of Beatrice's does Dr. McAndrew ask for with the intention of proposing marriage to her later?
2. What does Beatrice vow after her father's death?
3. What land does Beatrice covet?
4. What does Celia name the new baby?
5. Why do Harry and Beatrice plan to renovate a suite on the west wing of the mansion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the metaphor Beatrice uses to compare her life with the land of Wideacre in the spring.
2. How does Beatrice react when she hears of how near Ralph is getting to Wideacre?
3. Describe the tryst in which Beatrice learns about Harry's sexual proclivities.
4. How are Beatrice and Ralph alike in their views of love and pleasure?
5. How does Dr. McAndrews help Beatrice manage through the period when she is having nightmares about Ralph?
6. When does Dr. McAndrew become interesting to Beatrice?
7. What two things does Beatrice see as hurdles to her future and how does she plan to manage them?
8. When does Beatrice realize the gap that exists between her world and Ralph's world?
9. What does Beatrice think is the real reason her mother wants Harry to come home from school?
10. What are the circumstances of Harry and Beatrice's first sexual encounter?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)