|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing that will rouse Beatrice from her bed during her depression?
(a) Learning that Richard is sick.
(b) Inspecting the wheat harvest.
(c) A fire in the stables.
(d) Christmas dinner.
2. Which of the following items is NOT found in the special room Beatrice creates for her sexual encounters with Harry?
(a) Wall pegs.
(b) Baby bed.
(c) Saddle horses.
3. What is John's only purpose in life now?
(a) To have Beatrice prosecuted for murder.
(b) To save Celia and the children.
(c) To return to his medical practice.
(d) To make Beatrice love him again.
4. Which of the following is NOT a tool Harry and Beatrice use to come up with the money to buy out the entail?
(a) They use John's inheritance.
(b) They eliminate wages.
(c) They borrow it from the bank.
(d) They plant additional fields of wheat.
5. Why are the people of Wideacre suffering this winter?
(a) The plague is killing many people.
(b) Influenza is running rampant.
(c) War has broken out.
(d) There are no winter jobs at Wideacre.
6. What sign do the villagers make in Beatrice's presence?
(a) A sign to ward off witches.
(b) The peace sign.
(c) A bow or curtsy.
(d) The victory sign.
7. Why did Giles kill himself?
(a) He found out that he had cancer.
(b) He was guilty about killing a man.
(c) His wife died and he was depressed.
(d) He could not support himself through the winter.
8. What news does Harry break to Beatrice in Chapter 11?
(a) Dr. McAndrew has asked permission to marry her.
(b) He wants to divorce Celia.
(c) He knows that Beatrice is Julia's mother.
(d) He wants to end their intimate relationship.
9. How much medicine does Beatrice tell Celia to give Mama at a certain time?
(a) One drop before bedtime.
(b) The whole bottle.
(c) Two teaspoons before dinner.
(d) Two capsules at bedtime.
10. What is the name of the man for whom the pirate works?
11. What is thrown at the carriage taking Beatrice, Harry, John and Celia home from the feast?
(b) Pitch forks.
(c) Rotten eggs.
12. John tells Beatrice that __________ is coming.
(d) Good fortune.
13. To what does John admit he was nearly addicted?
14. Where is Beatrice when the mob approaches the house?
(a) In the house.
(b) In the stables.
(c) In London.
(d) In the woods.
15. Why does Celia refuse to take Beatrice's next child as her own?
(a) She is having trouble raising one.
(b) She doesn't think Harry is the child's father.
(c) She doesn't want another lie between herself and Harry.
(d) She wants to bear her own child.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richard almost die when out with Beatrice one day?
2. Who is the London wheat buyer who buys Wideacre's wheat harvest?
3. How did Giles kill himself?
4. What have the people of Wideacre called upon Beatrice to do again?
5. Whose presence does Beatrice now feel near her?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)