|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT true regarding the men tearing down the fencing?
(a) Sam Fosterly dies of fever.
(b) Ned Hunter dies in a convict camp.
(c) The Culler is shot.
(d) John Tyacke is hanged.
2. Who is the London wheat buyer who buys Wideacre's wheat harvest?
(a) Mr. Gilbey.
(b) Mr. Gulliver.
(c) Mr. Gilbertson.
(d) Mr. Gilbert.
3. What does Beatrice finally reveal to the family after they return from the feast?
(a) Wideacre is on the verge of ruin.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She and John are divorcing.
(d) The family is now debt free.
4. Why does John end up comforting Beatrice?
(a) She tells him she feels like just a visitor at Wideacre.
(b) She regrets giving up her child.
(c) She tells him about her father's murder.
(d) She regrets sleeping with Harry.
5. Why does Beatrice tell Dr. Rose to keep John a little bit longer even though he is well enough to come home?
(a) She is planning a surprise party for him.
(b) There is influenza at home.
(c) She is renovating his room.
(d) Celia is ill.
6. Who is the doctor who helps people recover from alcohol addiction?
(a) Dr. Whittaker.
(b) Dr. Rose.
(c) Dr. Groves.
(d) Dr. Rosen.
7. What has the family eliminated from its meals lately?
8. Why are the people of Wideacre suffering this winter?
(a) There are no winter jobs at Wideacre.
(b) War has broken out.
(c) The plague is killing many people.
(d) Influenza is running rampant.
9. What does Beatrice tell Harry about Celia?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is barren.
(c) She is having an affair.
(d) She wants a divorce.
10. Which of the following does NOT happen when the physicians come to take John away for treatment?
(a) He is put into a straight jacket.
(b) He tries to run away.
(c) He is given a dose of laudanum.
(d) He gets into the carriage willingly.
11. How much medicine does Beatrice tell Celia to give Mama at a certain time?
(a) Two capsules at bedtime.
(b) One drop before bedtime.
(c) Two teaspoons before dinner.
(d) The whole bottle.
12. Which of the following does NOT happen after Beatrice tells John her distress at being merely a visitor at Wideacre?
(a) He comforts her.
(b) They make love.
(c) He tells her to get her own place.
(d) He proposes to her.
13. What news does Harry break to Beatrice in Chapter 11?
(a) He wants to divorce Celia.
(b) Dr. McAndrew has asked permission to marry her.
(c) He wants to end their intimate relationship.
(d) He knows that Beatrice is Julia's mother.
14. How does Beatrice stage a premature birth?
(a) Falling down stairs.
(b) Collapsing in the garden.
(c) An accident in the library.
(d) A riding accident.
15. Which of the following does John NOT do when he returns home?
(a) Declare the baby was not born early as claimed.
(b) Inspect the baby.
(c) Unwrap the baby.
(d) Hand out cigars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do John and Beatrice live after their wedding?
2. What does John remind Beatrice is coming?
3. Why do the people at the feast eat so little food?
4. To what does John admit he was nearly addicted?
5. Where had John gone to visit his father?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)