|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Beatrice so conflicted about the changes that must occur at Wideacre?
(a) She hopes that Harry will change his will.
(b) She thinks about killing Harry.
(c) The income is vital but she doesn't like the changes to her home.
(d) She is not sure she wants to give Wideacre to her children.
2. What is John's only purpose in life now?
(a) To save Celia and the children.
(b) To return to his medical practice.
(c) To have Beatrice prosecuted for murder.
(d) To make Beatrice love him again.
3. What news does Harry break to Beatrice in Chapter 11?
(a) He wants to divorce Celia.
(b) He knows that Beatrice is Julia's mother.
(c) He wants to end their intimate relationship.
(d) Dr. McAndrew has asked permission to marry her.
4. Why do the people at the feast eat so little food?
(a) They would rather drink.
(b) Hardly anyone shows up.
(c) Their bellies are shrunken from starvation.
(d) They don't like the food selections.
5. In what town does Beatrice find workers to build the fencing?
6. How much medicine does Beatrice tell Celia to give Mama at a certain time?
(a) One drop before bedtime.
(b) Two capsules at bedtime.
(c) Two teaspoons before dinner.
(d) The whole bottle.
7. Why did Giles kill himself?
(a) He could not support himself through the winter.
(b) He was guilty about killing a man.
(c) He found out that he had cancer.
(d) His wife died and he was depressed.
8. Where does John drive Beatrice one day?
(a) To town.
(b) To the mountains.
(c) To church.
(d) To the sea.
9. Why does Celia refuse to take Beatrice's next child as her own?
(a) She is having trouble raising one.
(b) She doesn't think Harry is the child's father.
(c) She wants to bear her own child.
(d) She doesn't want another lie between herself and Harry.
10. Which of the following does Beatrice NOT think after she is left alone in the house?
(a) There is nothing more for her to do.
(b) She'll be OK if she makes it to morning.
(c) The future is in Ralph's hands.
(d) She can finally rest.
11. Who does Celia think is Julia's father?
(a) The Culler.
12. Who does the wheat doll resemble this year?
(c) Beatrice and Harry.
(d) Julia and Richard.
13. What does John tell Beatrice when he returns home?
(a) He wants to renew his wedding vows.
(b) He wants to return to his medical practice.
(c) He wants a divorce.
(d) He knows the children are a result of incest.
14. What tragedy does Beatrice have to face at home?
(b) Harry has cancer.
(c) Richard is seriously ill.
(d) John wants a divorce.
15. What is held on the last day of the wheat harvest?
(a) A feast.
(b) A picnic.
(c) A dance.
(d) A church service.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does John admit he was nearly addicted?
2. What is thrown at the carriage taking Beatrice, Harry, John and Celia home from the feast?
3. What does Celia ultimately want for Julia?
4. Who does John accuse of betraying him as he is taken away?
5. Why does John take a trip before the baby is born?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)