|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what town does Beatrice find workers to build the fencing?
2. What does Beatrice tell Harry about Celia?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is having an affair.
(c) She is barren.
(d) She wants a divorce.
3. What news does Harry break to Beatrice in Chapter 11?
(a) He wants to divorce Celia.
(b) Dr. McAndrew has asked permission to marry her.
(c) He wants to end their intimate relationship.
(d) He knows that Beatrice is Julia's mother.
4. How does Beatrice stage a premature birth?
(a) An accident in the library.
(b) Collapsing in the garden.
(c) A riding accident.
(d) Falling down stairs.
5. Why did Giles kill himself?
(a) He found out that he had cancer.
(b) He was guilty about killing a man.
(c) He could not support himself through the winter.
(d) His wife died and he was depressed.
6. Why does Beatrice tell Dr. Rose to keep John a little bit longer even though he is well enough to come home?
(a) She is renovating his room.
(b) She is planning a surprise party for him.
(c) Celia is ill.
(d) There is influenza at home.
7. What does Ralph send Beatrice for her birthday?
(a) A basket with a tinderbox inside.
(d) Antique books.
8. How does Celia infuriate Beatrice before storming out of the house?
(a) She contends that there is something wrong with the relationship between Beatrice and Harry.
(b) She threatens to tell John the truth about Julia.
(c) She wants Beatrice to sign over rights to Julia.
(d) She wants to be mistress of Wideacre.
9. What is John's only purpose in life now?
(a) To return to his medical practice.
(b) To save Celia and the children.
(c) To have Beatrice prosecuted for murder.
(d) To make Beatrice love him again.
10. Why do the people at the feast eat so little food?
(a) Their bellies are shrunken from starvation.
(b) They would rather drink.
(c) Hardly anyone shows up.
(d) They don't like the food selections.
11. What is typically placed on top of the final shock of wheat?
(a) A flag.
(b) A basket of coins.
(c) A pitchfork.
(d) A wheat doll.
12. What sign do the villagers make in Beatrice's presence?
(a) The peace sign.
(b) A bow or curtsy.
(c) A sign to ward off witches.
(d) The victory sign.
13. What does Celia ultimately want for Julia?
(a) To have a home of her own one day.
(b) To share Wideacre with Richard.
(c) To go to school and not return.
(d) To become mistress of Wideacre.
14. What tragedy does Beatrice have to face at home?
(a) Harry has cancer.
(c) John wants a divorce.
(d) Richard is seriously ill.
15. What is Beatrice's new baby named?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beatrice's second attempt to abort the child?
2. What makes it easy for Beatrice and Harry to continue their midnight trysts?
3. Who is the banker advising Beatrice and Harry in the matters of Wideacre?
4. What does Beatrice know that Ralph plans to do?
5. How does Richard almost die when out with Beatrice one day?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)