|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do John and Beatrice encounter while at the shore?
(a) A pirate.
(b) A mother and child.
(c) A priest.
(d) A young couple.
2. What news does Harry break to Beatrice in Chapter 11?
(a) Dr. McAndrew has asked permission to marry her.
(b) He wants to divorce Celia.
(c) He wants to end their intimate relationship.
(d) He knows that Beatrice is Julia's mother.
3. Which of the following does NOT happen when the physicians come to take John away for treatment?
(a) He is given a dose of laudanum.
(b) He tries to run away.
(c) He gets into the carriage willingly.
(d) He is put into a straight jacket.
4. Who indicates interest in buying Wideacre?
(a) Mr. Llewlyn.
(b) Mr. Gilby.
(c) Dr. Rose.
5. Why does Celia refuse to take Beatrice's next child as her own?
(a) She doesn't want another lie between herself and Harry.
(b) She doesn't think Harry is the child's father.
(c) She is having trouble raising one.
(d) She wants to bear her own child.
6. Which of the following does Beatrice NOT think after she is left alone in the house?
(a) The future is in Ralph's hands.
(b) There is nothing more for her to do.
(c) She can finally rest.
(d) She'll be OK if she makes it to morning.
7. Why are the people of Wideacre suffering this winter?
(a) The plague is killing many people.
(b) There are no winter jobs at Wideacre.
(c) War has broken out.
(d) Influenza is running rampant.
8. John tells Beatrice that __________ is coming.
(c) Good fortune.
9. Which of the following is NOT a tool Harry and Beatrice use to come up with the money to buy out the entail?
(a) They borrow it from the bank.
(b) They eliminate wages.
(c) They use John's inheritance.
(d) They plant additional fields of wheat.
10. Which of the following activities do the people of Wideacre NOT use the common grounds?
(b) Grazing horses.
(c) Gathering firewood.
11. How does Beatrice pay for the entail?
(a) John's inheritance.
(c) Land sale.
(d) Antiques sale.
12. What is Ralph doing when Beatrice walks out of the house?
(a) Sitting in a carriage.
(b) Sitting in a wagon.
(c) Sitting on the ground.
(d) Sitting on a horse.
13. What do the people call the area of the cemetery where suicides are buried?
(a) Potter's Field.
(b) Miss Beatrice's plots.
(c) Poor Souls corner.
(d) Miss Beatrice's corner.
14. In what city does Beatrice intend to sell Wideacre's wheat crop?
15. Beatrice knows that the Culler is really ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will inherit Wideacre unless Harry produces a male heir?
2. To what does John admit he was nearly addicted?
3. What is Beatrice's new baby named?
4. What does Beatrice know that Ralph plans to do?
5. Who is blamed for Mama's death?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)