|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had been a tradition for generations regarding the wheat harvest which Beatrice no longer honors?
(a) A harvest ball is held on the last night of the reaping.
(b) The reapers may take what is left over from the harvest.
(c) The oldest boys may drive the horses.
(d) The young children earn prizes during harvest games.
2. Beatrice knows that the Culler is really ______________.
3. What is thrown at the carriage taking Beatrice, Harry, John and Celia home from the feast?
(b) Pitch forks.
(c) Rotten eggs.
4. Which of the following does NOT happen after Beatrice tells John her distress at being merely a visitor at Wideacre?
(a) He proposes to her.
(b) He comforts her.
(c) They make love.
(d) He tells her to get her own place.
5. Beatrice wants the best for Wideacre but is ultimately destroying it in her zeal. What is this literary technique called?
6. What is typically placed on top of the final shock of wheat?
(a) A pitchfork.
(b) A flag.
(c) A basket of coins.
(d) A wheat doll.
7. What is the name of the man for whom the pirate works?
8. What eventually kills Mama?
(a) An aneurysm.
(b) An overdose of laudanum.
(c) A stab wound.
(d) A stroke.
9. Why does John say Beatrice will soon lose Wideacre?
(a) She will have to sell it to pay creditors.
(b) He is going to take it over.
(c) It is getting too big to maintain.
(d) The Culler will burn it down.
10. What is the only thing that will rouse Beatrice from her bed during her depression?
(a) Inspecting the wheat harvest.
(b) Learning that Richard is sick.
(c) Christmas dinner.
(d) A fire in the stables.
11. What does John prescribe for Mama's condition?
12. What is held on the last day of the wheat harvest?
(a) A feast.
(b) A church service.
(c) A dance.
(d) A picnic.
13. What does John remind Beatrice is coming?
(b) Better days.
14. Where do John and Beatrice live after their wedding?
(a) In Dublin.
(b) In a country cottage.
(c) At Wideacre.
(d) At John's home.
15. Who is the midwife who keeps Beatrice's secret about the baby?
(a) Ms. Mayfield.
(b) Ms. Merrywether.
(c) Ms. McCallister.
(d) Ms. Merry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the people of Wideacre suffering this winter?
2. How did Giles kill himself?
3. How much laudanum did John tell Beatrice to give Mama?
4. What does Ralph send Beatrice for her birthday?
5. What does Beatrice know that Ralph plans to do?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)