|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the people of Wideacre suffering this winter?
(a) There are no winter jobs at Wideacre.
(b) War has broken out.
(c) Influenza is running rampant.
(d) The plague is killing many people.
2. Which of the following items is NOT found in the special room Beatrice creates for her sexual encounters with Harry?
(a) Saddle horses.
(b) Wall pegs.
(c) Baby bed.
3. Why does John say Beatrice will soon lose Wideacre?
(a) The Culler will burn it down.
(b) She will have to sell it to pay creditors.
(c) It is getting too big to maintain.
(d) He is going to take it over.
4. Who does John accuse of betraying him as he is taken away?
5. Who does the wheat doll resemble this year?
(a) Julia and Richard.
(b) Beatrice and Harry.
6. What tragedy does Beatrice have to face at home?
(b) Harry has cancer.
(c) John wants a divorce.
(d) Richard is seriously ill.
7. Which of the following does NOT happen after Beatrice tells John her distress at being merely a visitor at Wideacre?
(a) He proposes to her.
(b) He tells her to get her own place.
(c) They make love.
(d) He comforts her.
8. What is Ralph doing when Beatrice walks out of the house?
(a) Sitting in a carriage.
(b) Sitting on the ground.
(c) Sitting on a horse.
(d) Sitting in a wagon.
9. Where does John drive Beatrice one day?
(a) To the mountains.
(b) To the sea.
(c) To church.
(d) To town.
10. Why do the people at the feast eat so little food?
(a) They would rather drink.
(b) Their bellies are shrunken from starvation.
(c) They don't like the food selections.
(d) Hardly anyone shows up.
11. In what city does Beatrice intend to sell Wideacre's wheat crop?
12. How much laudanum did John tell Beatrice to give Mama?
(a) Two drops every two hours.
(b) One drop every hour.
(c) One drop every four hours.
(d) Four drops every four hours.
13. Who tells Beatrice that Mama has died?
14. What does John tell Beatrice when he returns home?
(a) He knows the children are a result of incest.
(b) He wants a divorce.
(c) He wants to renew his wedding vows.
(d) He wants to return to his medical practice.
15. How did Giles kill himself?
(a) He took an overdose of laudanum.
(b) He drank rat poison.
(c) He hanged himself.
(d) He shot himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Beatrice offer the town's workers who refuse to do it?
2. Which of the following does John NOT do when he returns home?
3. What have the people of Wideacre called upon Beatrice to do again?
4. How does Beatrice stage a premature birth?
5. What does Beatrice finally reveal to the family after they return from the feast?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)