|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John end up comforting Beatrice?
(a) She tells him about her father's murder.
(b) She tells him she feels like just a visitor at Wideacre.
(c) She regrets sleeping with Harry.
(d) She regrets giving up her child.
2. Which of the following does NOT happen after Beatrice tells John her distress at being merely a visitor at Wideacre?
(a) He proposes to her.
(b) He comforts her.
(c) They make love.
(d) He tells her to get her own place.
3. What is typically placed on top of the final shock of wheat?
(a) A flag.
(b) A pitchfork.
(c) A basket of coins.
(d) A wheat doll.
4. Who does Celia think is Julia's father?
(a) The Culler.
5. Which of the following does NOT happen when the physicians come to take John away for treatment?
(a) He is given a dose of laudanum.
(b) He tries to run away.
(c) He is put into a straight jacket.
(d) He gets into the carriage willingly.
6. What have the people of Wideacre called upon Beatrice to do again?
(a) Lower their rents.
(b) Walk among the crops to ensure good yields.
(c) Be godmother to the new babies.
(d) Attend their harvest party.
7. What do the people call the area of the cemetery where suicides are buried?
(a) Potter's Field.
(b) Miss Beatrice's corner.
(c) Miss Beatrice's plots.
(d) Poor Souls corner.
8. Why does John say Beatrice will soon lose Wideacre?
(a) He is going to take it over.
(b) She will have to sell it to pay creditors.
(c) The Culler will burn it down.
(d) It is getting too big to maintain.
9. What makes it easy for Beatrice and Harry to continue their midnight trysts?
(a) They are both divorced now.
(b) Celia has moved out.
(c) John has moved back to town.
(d) John gets drunk at night.
10. How does Richard almost die when out with Beatrice one day?
(a) He is stung by wasps.
(b) His carriage is struck by lightning.
(c) He swallows a bell from his rattle.
(d) He falls from his horse.
11. What is Beatrice's new baby named?
12. What does John determine upon inspecting the baby?
(a) The name Richard suits him well.
(b) The baby cannot be his child.
(c) He looks just like his father.
(d) He looks just like Beatrice.
13. Which of the family members earns love and respect from kindnesses shown to the starving people?
14. What does John tell Beatrice when he returns home?
(a) He wants to renew his wedding vows.
(b) He wants to return to his medical practice.
(c) He knows the children are a result of incest.
(d) He wants a divorce.
15. What is Mama's condition?
(a) Low blood pressure.
(d) Heart failure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Giles kill himself?
2. What happens at the moment that Beatrice is killed?
3. What is the only thing that will rouse Beatrice from her bed during her depression?
4. Why does Beatrice tell Dr. Rose to keep John a little bit longer even though he is well enough to come home?
5. In addition to Beatrice, who else dies in the mob attack?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)