|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had John gone to visit his father?
2. Where do John and Beatrice live after their wedding?
(a) At John's home.
(b) In a country cottage.
(c) At Wideacre.
(d) In Dublin.
3. What tragedy does Beatrice have to face at home?
(a) Harry has cancer.
(b) John wants a divorce.
(d) Richard is seriously ill.
4. What news does Harry break to Beatrice in Chapter 11?
(a) He wants to end their intimate relationship.
(b) He knows that Beatrice is Julia's mother.
(c) Dr. McAndrew has asked permission to marry her.
(d) He wants to divorce Celia.
5. What is the only thing that will rouse Beatrice from her bed during her depression?
(a) Learning that Richard is sick.
(b) A fire in the stables.
(c) Christmas dinner.
(d) Inspecting the wheat harvest.
6. Why is there no major Christmas party at the hall at Wideacre this year?
(a) The family is still in mourning.
(b) No one wants to organize it.
(c) The weather is too bad.
(d) There is no budget for it.
7. How does Celia infuriate Beatrice before storming out of the house?
(a) She wants Beatrice to sign over rights to Julia.
(b) She contends that there is something wrong with the relationship between Beatrice and Harry.
(c) She wants to be mistress of Wideacre.
(d) She threatens to tell John the truth about Julia.
8. Which of the following does NOT happen after Beatrice tells John her distress at being merely a visitor at Wideacre?
(a) He proposes to her.
(b) He tells her to get her own place.
(c) He comforts her.
(d) They make love.
9. What does Celia ultimately want for Julia?
(a) To share Wideacre with Richard.
(b) To have a home of her own one day.
(c) To go to school and not return.
(d) To become mistress of Wideacre.
10. What eventually kills Mama?
(a) A stab wound.
(b) An aneurysm.
(c) A stroke.
(d) An overdose of laudanum.
11. What is Mama's condition?
(c) Low blood pressure.
(d) Heart failure.
12. Which of the following does Beatrice NOT receive on her birthday?
13. Who is the doctor who helps people recover from alcohol addiction?
(a) Dr. Rosen.
(b) Dr. Groves.
(c) Dr. Rose.
(d) Dr. Whittaker.
14. What does John remind Beatrice is coming?
(b) Better days.
15. How does Richard almost die when out with Beatrice one day?
(a) He swallows a bell from his rattle.
(b) He falls from his horse.
(c) He is stung by wasps.
(d) His carriage is struck by lightning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice think needs to happen so that things can return to normal at Wideacre?
2. Why does Celia refuse to take Beatrice's next child as her own?
3. Who is the London wheat buyer who buys Wideacre's wheat harvest?
4. What does Ralph send Beatrice for her birthday?
5. What does Beatrice tell Harry about Celia?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)