|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing that will rouse Beatrice from her bed during her depression?
(a) Christmas dinner.
(b) Learning that Richard is sick.
(c) Inspecting the wheat harvest.
(d) A fire in the stables.
2. What does Celia say about the house at Wideacre?
(a) There seems to be something poisoning it.
(b) It is the grandest home in the country.
(c) It is in dire need of repairs.
(d) It is too dark and damp to be comfortable.
3. What job does Beatrice offer the town's workers who refuse to do it?
(a) Planting wheat.
(b) Fencing in the Common.
(c) Shoeing horses.
(d) Making wine.
4. Which of the following does NOT happen when the physicians come to take John away for treatment?
(a) He is put into a straight jacket.
(b) He is given a dose of laudanum.
(c) He tries to run away.
(d) He gets into the carriage willingly.
5. What does Beatrice think needs to happen so that things can return to normal at Wideacre?
(a) John must go away.
(b) Julia must be acknowledged as Harry's child.
(c) Harry must sign Wideacre over to Beatrice.
(d) Celia must have a child.
6. What is John's only purpose in life now?
(a) To make Beatrice love him again.
(b) To save Celia and the children.
(c) To return to his medical practice.
(d) To have Beatrice prosecuted for murder.
7. What do the pirates want with Beatrice?
(b) Hide goods on Wideacre land.
8. Which of the following does Beatrice NOT receive on her birthday?
9. Who is the London wheat buyer who buys Wideacre's wheat harvest?
(a) Mr. Gilbertson.
(b) Mr. Gilbey.
(c) Mr. Gilbert.
(d) Mr. Gulliver.
10. Who tells Beatrice that Mama has died?
11. What does Beatrice know that Ralph plans to do?
(a) Hang himself.
(b) Burn her house.
(c) Come back for her.
(d) Kidnap her children.
12. Which of the following does John NOT do when he returns home?
(a) Declare the baby was not born early as claimed.
(b) Inspect the baby.
(c) Unwrap the baby.
(d) Hand out cigars.
13. How does Celia infuriate Beatrice before storming out of the house?
(a) She contends that there is something wrong with the relationship between Beatrice and Harry.
(b) She wants Beatrice to sign over rights to Julia.
(c) She wants to be mistress of Wideacre.
(d) She threatens to tell John the truth about Julia.
14. Which of the following activities do the people of Wideacre NOT use the common grounds?
(a) Grazing horses.
(d) Gathering firewood.
15. How does Beatrice pay for the entail?
(b) Land sale.
(c) John's inheritance.
(d) Antiques sale.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richard almost die when out with Beatrice one day?
2. What happens at the moment that Beatrice is killed?
3. Beatrice wants the best for Wideacre but is ultimately destroying it in her zeal. What is this literary technique called?
4. Which of the following items is NOT found in the special room Beatrice creates for her sexual encounters with Harry?
5. Who is blamed for Mama's death?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)