|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John tells Beatrice that __________ is coming.
(b) Good fortune.
2. Which of the following is NOT true regarding the men tearing down the fencing?
(a) The Culler is shot.
(b) Sam Fosterly dies of fever.
(c) Ned Hunter dies in a convict camp.
(d) John Tyacke is hanged.
3. Who is the doctor who helps people recover from alcohol addiction?
(a) Dr. Rose.
(b) Dr. Whittaker.
(c) Dr. Groves.
(d) Dr. Rosen.
4. What do the pirates want with Beatrice?
(d) Hide goods on Wideacre land.
5. Where is Beatrice when the mob approaches the house?
(a) In the woods.
(b) In London.
(c) In the house.
(d) In the stables.
6. What causes Mama to pass out in the library?
(a) Paint fumes overwhelm her.
(b) She gets up from her chair too quickly.
(c) Seeing Beatrice and Harry making love.
(d) A statue falls on her head.
7. What do the people call the area of the cemetery where suicides are buried?
(a) Potter's Field.
(b) Poor Souls corner.
(c) Miss Beatrice's plots.
(d) Miss Beatrice's corner.
8. Why does John say Beatrice will soon lose Wideacre?
(a) She will have to sell it to pay creditors.
(b) The Culler will burn it down.
(c) It is getting too big to maintain.
(d) He is going to take it over.
9. What is the name of the man for whom the pirate works?
10. Why does John end up comforting Beatrice?
(a) She regrets sleeping with Harry.
(b) She regrets giving up her child.
(c) She tells him about her father's murder.
(d) She tells him she feels like just a visitor at Wideacre.
11. Why is there no major Christmas party at the hall at Wideacre this year?
(a) The weather is too bad.
(b) There is no budget for it.
(c) No one wants to organize it.
(d) The family is still in mourning.
12. What tragedy does Beatrice have to face at home?
(a) Richard is seriously ill.
(c) Harry has cancer.
(d) John wants a divorce.
13. Where does John drive Beatrice one day?
(a) To the mountains.
(b) To church.
(c) To the sea.
(d) To town.
14. In what city does Beatrice intend to sell Wideacre's wheat crop?
15. How does Richard almost die when out with Beatrice one day?
(a) His carriage is struck by lightning.
(b) He falls from his horse.
(c) He swallows a bell from his rattle.
(d) He is stung by wasps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT happen after Beatrice tells John her distress at being merely a visitor at Wideacre?
2. Which of the following does Beatrice NOT receive on her birthday?
3. What does Celia say about the house at Wideacre?
4. What/who does Beatrice see at the window when lightning lights up the sky?
5. Who tells Beatrice that Mama has died?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)