|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the doctor who helps people recover from alcohol addiction?
(a) Dr. Groves.
(b) Dr. Rosen.
(c) Dr. Whittaker.
(d) Dr. Rose.
2. Who indicates interest in buying Wideacre?
(a) Mr. Llewlyn.
(b) Dr. Rose.
(d) Mr. Gilby.
3. What/who does Beatrice see at the window when lightning lights up the sky?
(a) A ghost.
(b) Two dogs.
4. Which of the following items is NOT found in the special room Beatrice creates for her sexual encounters with Harry?
(a) Baby bed.
(b) Saddle horses.
(c) Wall pegs.
5. What does John tell Beatrice when he returns home?
(a) He wants to renew his wedding vows.
(b) He knows the children are a result of incest.
(c) He wants a divorce.
(d) He wants to return to his medical practice.
6. Where do John and Beatrice live after their wedding?
(a) At Wideacre.
(b) In a country cottage.
(c) At John's home.
(d) In Dublin.
7. Who does John accuse of betraying him as he is taken away?
8. What is Ralph doing when Beatrice walks out of the house?
(a) Sitting on a horse.
(b) Sitting on the ground.
(c) Sitting in a wagon.
(d) Sitting in a carriage.
9. What news does Harry break to Beatrice in Chapter 11?
(a) Dr. McAndrew has asked permission to marry her.
(b) He knows that Beatrice is Julia's mother.
(c) He wants to end their intimate relationship.
(d) He wants to divorce Celia.
10. What sign do the villagers make in Beatrice's presence?
(a) A sign to ward off witches.
(b) The peace sign.
(c) The victory sign.
(d) A bow or curtsy.
11. What job does Beatrice offer the town's workers who refuse to do it?
(a) Shoeing horses.
(b) Making wine.
(c) Fencing in the Common.
(d) Planting wheat.
12. Who is the midwife who keeps Beatrice's secret about the baby?
(a) Ms. Merrywether.
(b) Ms. Mayfield.
(c) Ms. McCallister.
(d) Ms. Merry.
13. Which of the following does NOT happen when the physicians come to take John away for treatment?
(a) He is given a dose of laudanum.
(b) He gets into the carriage willingly.
(c) He is put into a straight jacket.
(d) He tries to run away.
14. What causes Mama to pass out in the library?
(a) A statue falls on her head.
(b) Paint fumes overwhelm her.
(c) Seeing Beatrice and Harry making love.
(d) She gets up from her chair too quickly.
15. How does Beatrice pay for the entail?
(b) Land sale.
(c) John's inheritance.
(d) Antiques sale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is typically placed on top of the final shock of wheat?
2. What is thrown at the carriage taking Beatrice, Harry, John and Celia home from the feast?
3. How much medicine does Beatrice tell Celia to give Mama at a certain time?
4. Who does Celia think is Julia's father?
5. What tragedy does Beatrice have to face at home?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)