|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mama's condition?
(a) Heart failure.
(d) Low blood pressure.
2. What have the people of Wideacre called upon Beatrice to do again?
(a) Attend their harvest party.
(b) Lower their rents.
(c) Be godmother to the new babies.
(d) Walk among the crops to ensure good yields.
3. Who is the midwife who keeps Beatrice's secret about the baby?
(a) Ms. Merrywether.
(b) Ms. Merry.
(c) Ms. McCallister.
(d) Ms. Mayfield.
4. What sign do the villagers make in Beatrice's presence?
(a) The peace sign.
(b) A bow or curtsy.
(c) The victory sign.
(d) A sign to ward off witches.
5. What does John remind Beatrice is coming?
(d) Better days.
6. Who do John and Beatrice encounter while at the shore?
(a) A mother and child.
(b) A priest.
(c) A pirate.
(d) A young couple.
7. Which of the family members earns love and respect from kindnesses shown to the starving people?
8. Why did Giles kill himself?
(a) He could not support himself through the winter.
(b) His wife died and he was depressed.
(c) He was guilty about killing a man.
(d) He found out that he had cancer.
9. Who is blamed for Mama's death?
(b) Ms. Merry.
10. What/who does Beatrice see at the window when lightning lights up the sky?
(a) A ghost.
(c) Two dogs.
11. Why does Celia refuse to take Beatrice's next child as her own?
(a) She doesn't think Harry is the child's father.
(b) She doesn't want another lie between herself and Harry.
(c) She wants to bear her own child.
(d) She is having trouble raising one.
12. In addition to Beatrice, who else dies in the mob attack?
13. Why does John take a trip before the baby is born?
(a) To check on patients.
(b) To buy horses.
(c) To visit his father.
(d) To buy medical supplies.
14. What does Celia ultimately want for Julia?
(a) To have a home of her own one day.
(b) To go to school and not return.
(c) To become mistress of Wideacre.
(d) To share Wideacre with Richard.
15. How much medicine does Beatrice tell Celia to give Mama at a certain time?
(a) Two capsules at bedtime.
(b) One drop before bedtime.
(c) The whole bottle.
(d) Two teaspoons before dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is thrown at the carriage taking Beatrice, Harry, John and Celia home from the feast?
2. What is John's only purpose in life now?
3. What makes it easy for Beatrice and Harry to continue their midnight trysts?
4. Which of the following items is NOT found in the special room Beatrice creates for her sexual encounters with Harry?
5. Which of the following does Beatrice NOT receive on her birthday?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)