|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Beatrice stage a premature birth?
(a) Falling down stairs.
(b) A riding accident.
(c) Collapsing in the garden.
(d) An accident in the library.
2. How did Giles kill himself?
(a) He shot himself.
(b) He drank rat poison.
(c) He hanged himself.
(d) He took an overdose of laudanum.
3. Why are the people of Wideacre suffering this winter?
(a) Influenza is running rampant.
(b) There are no winter jobs at Wideacre.
(c) The plague is killing many people.
(d) War has broken out.
4. Why is Beatrice so conflicted about the changes that must occur at Wideacre?
(a) She thinks about killing Harry.
(b) She is not sure she wants to give Wideacre to her children.
(c) The income is vital but she doesn't like the changes to her home.
(d) She hopes that Harry will change his will.
5. Whose presence does Beatrice now feel near her?
(b) Her father's.
(d) Her mother's.
6. Who is the doctor who helps people recover from alcohol addiction?
(a) Dr. Rosen.
(b) Dr. Rose.
(c) Dr. Groves.
(d) Dr. Whittaker.
7. Why did Giles kill himself?
(a) He was guilty about killing a man.
(b) He could not support himself through the winter.
(c) He found out that he had cancer.
(d) His wife died and he was depressed.
8. What does Beatrice know that Ralph plans to do?
(a) Come back for her.
(b) Kidnap her children.
(c) Burn her house.
(d) Hang himself.
9. Which of the following activities do the people of Wideacre NOT use the common grounds?
(a) Gathering firewood.
(b) Grazing horses.
10. What does John determine upon inspecting the baby?
(a) The name Richard suits him well.
(b) He looks just like his father.
(c) The baby cannot be his child.
(d) He looks just like Beatrice.
11. Who will inherit Wideacre unless Harry produces a male heir?
(d) A distant cousin.
12. What is Mama's condition?
(a) Low blood pressure.
(b) Heart failure.
13. Who does the wheat doll resemble this year?
(b) Beatrice and Harry.
(c) Julia and Richard.
14. What job does Beatrice offer the town's workers who refuse to do it?
(a) Making wine.
(b) Fencing in the Common.
(c) Shoeing horses.
(d) Planting wheat.
15. What/who does Beatrice see at the window when lightning lights up the sky?
(b) Two dogs.
(d) A ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do John and Beatrice live after their wedding?
2. Who does Celia think is Julia's father?
3. How does Beatrice pay for the entail?
4. What is thrown at the carriage taking Beatrice, Harry, John and Celia home from the feast?
5. Which of the family members earns love and respect from kindnesses shown to the starving people?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)