|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does John NOT do when he returns home?
(a) Inspect the baby.
(b) Unwrap the baby.
(c) Hand out cigars.
(d) Declare the baby was not born early as claimed.
2. What does Celia ultimately want for Julia?
(a) To share Wideacre with Richard.
(b) To become mistress of Wideacre.
(c) To go to school and not return.
(d) To have a home of her own one day.
3. Which of the family members earns love and respect from kindnesses shown to the starving people?
4. Why does John say Beatrice will soon lose Wideacre?
(a) She will have to sell it to pay creditors.
(b) He is going to take it over.
(c) It is getting too big to maintain.
(d) The Culler will burn it down.
5. How does Richard almost die when out with Beatrice one day?
(a) His carriage is struck by lightning.
(b) He swallows a bell from his rattle.
(c) He is stung by wasps.
(d) He falls from his horse.
6. What is Mama's condition?
(a) Low blood pressure.
(c) Heart failure.
7. Why does Celia refuse to take Beatrice's next child as her own?
(a) She wants to bear her own child.
(b) She is having trouble raising one.
(c) She doesn't want another lie between herself and Harry.
(d) She doesn't think Harry is the child's father.
8. Why are the people of Wideacre suffering this winter?
(a) Influenza is running rampant.
(b) The plague is killing many people.
(c) War has broken out.
(d) There are no winter jobs at Wideacre.
9. Who is blamed for Mama's death?
(b) Ms. Merry.
10. Where had John gone to visit his father?
11. Who is the doctor who helps people recover from alcohol addiction?
(a) Dr. Groves.
(b) Dr. Rose.
(c) Dr. Whittaker.
(d) Dr. Rosen.
12. Who indicates interest in buying Wideacre?
(a) Mr. Gilby.
(c) Mr. Llewlyn.
(d) Dr. Rose.
13. What tragedy does Beatrice have to face at home?
(a) Richard is seriously ill.
(b) John wants a divorce.
(d) Harry has cancer.
14. What/who does Beatrice see at the window when lightning lights up the sky?
(b) Two dogs.
(d) A ghost.
15. What does John prescribe for Mama's condition?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Beatrice intend to sell Wideacre's wheat crop?
2. Why is there no major Christmas party at the hall at Wideacre this year?
3. What is the name of the man for whom the pirate works?
4. What does John remind Beatrice is coming?
5. Who does the wheat doll resemble this year?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)