|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beatrice wants the best for Wideacre but is ultimately destroying it in her zeal. What is this literary technique called?
2. Why is Beatrice so conflicted about the changes that must occur at Wideacre?
(a) She thinks about killing Harry.
(b) She hopes that Harry will change his will.
(c) She is not sure she wants to give Wideacre to her children.
(d) The income is vital but she doesn't like the changes to her home.
3. How much laudanum did John tell Beatrice to give Mama?
(a) Two drops every two hours.
(b) One drop every four hours.
(c) Four drops every four hours.
(d) One drop every hour.
4. Which of the following does NOT happen when the physicians come to take John away for treatment?
(a) He tries to run away.
(b) He is put into a straight jacket.
(c) He is given a dose of laudanum.
(d) He gets into the carriage willingly.
5. How does Beatrice pay for the entail?
(a) John's inheritance.
(b) Land sale.
(d) Antiques sale.
6. In what city does Beatrice intend to sell Wideacre's wheat crop?
7. Where does John drive Beatrice one day?
(a) To church.
(b) To town.
(c) To the sea.
(d) To the mountains.
8. Whose presence does Beatrice now feel near her?
(b) Her father's.
(d) Her mother's.
9. What does Beatrice tell Harry about Celia?
(a) She is barren.
(b) She is having an affair.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She wants a divorce.
10. What is typically placed on top of the final shock of wheat?
(a) A basket of coins.
(b) A flag.
(c) A wheat doll.
(d) A pitchfork.
11. Where do John and Beatrice live after their wedding?
(a) At John's home.
(b) At Wideacre.
(c) In Dublin.
(d) In a country cottage.
12. What does Celia say about the house at Wideacre?
(a) It is the grandest home in the country.
(b) There seems to be something poisoning it.
(c) It is too dark and damp to be comfortable.
(d) It is in dire need of repairs.
13. Who is the doctor who helps people recover from alcohol addiction?
(a) Dr. Whittaker.
(b) Dr. Groves.
(c) Dr. Rose.
(d) Dr. Rosen.
14. How did Giles kill himself?
(a) He drank rat poison.
(b) He hanged himself.
(c) He took an overdose of laudanum.
(d) He shot himself.
15. What does Ralph send Beatrice for her birthday?
(b) A basket with a tinderbox inside.
(c) Antique books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is held on the last day of the wheat harvest?
2. What happens at the moment that Beatrice is killed?
3. What is Ralph doing when Beatrice walks out of the house?
4. What has the family eliminated from its meals lately?
5. Who do John and Beatrice encounter while at the shore?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)