|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beatrice agree to do until other arrangements can be made?
(a) Sew baby clothes.
(b) Breastfeed the baby.
(c) Cook all the meals.
(d) Care for the child at night.
2. Whose infatuation with Harry angers Beatrice?
(d) Mrs. Lacy's.
3. What does Harry do when Ralph beats him with a riding crop?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Has him arrested.
(c) Begs to be hit again.
(d) Shoots him.
4. What does Beatrice call it when Harry interacts with the people of Wideacre?
(a) Playing peasant.
(b) Slumming it.
(c) Drudging it.
(d) Mixing it up with the peons.
5. Who do the people of Wideacre look to for leadership?
(d) Mrs. Lacy.
6. What promise does Beatrice elicit from Celia?
(a) To find Ralph.
(b) To be best friends.
(c) To murder Mrs. Lacy.
(d) To conspire against Harry.
7. How does Beatrice plan to retain a hold over Harry?
(a) By threatening to tell secrets about him.
(b) By providing physical pleasure.
(c) By being his business manager.
(d) By acting as confidante.
8. Which of the following does Harry NOT encourage his father to give to Ralph?
(a) The Tyack cottage.
(b) Acreage at Wideacre.
(c) The gamekeeper position.
(d) More money.
9. What farm activity is Harry monitoring in Chapter 5?
10. Which of the following does Beatrice NOT consider to be a threat to her security?
(a) Harry falling in love with Celia.
(b) Ralph exacting revenge on her.
(c) Her mother sending her away to be married.
(d) Celia producing a male heir.
11. What would be included as part of Celia's dowry?
(d) Land adjacent to Wideacre.
12. What does Beatrice plan to use in order to get land for herself?
(a) Her inheritance.
(b) Her body.
(c) Her guile.
(d) Her wits.
13. Beatrice hears about ______________ leading bread riots.
(a) A one-legged man.
(b) A politician.
(c) A union representative.
(d) A missionary.
14. What does Beatrice know about Celia and Harry's relationship?
(a) Harry is gay.
(b) Celia teases Harry sexually.
(c) Harry is never going to marry her.
(d) Celia is a lesbian.
15. Why does Julia cry so much on the return voyage?
(a) The wet nurse is ill and the child is not getting enough nourishment.
(b) The motion of the boat frightens her.
(c) She can sense the tension between Celia and Beatrice.
(d) She has colic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Ralph NOT envision for his future at Wideacre?
2. What do Beatrice and Dr. McAndrew do when he comes to visit one day?
3. Which men does Beatrice hate?
4. Who walks in on Beatrice and Ralph as they make love in the abandoned mill?
5. By what name is Beatrice referred to by most people?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)