|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Celia refuse to let Mrs. Lacy do to Julia?
(a) Swaddle her.
(b) Paint her fingernails.
(c) Curl her hair.
(d) Pierce her ears.
2. Beatrice hears about ______________ leading bread riots.
(a) A politician.
(b) A missionary.
(c) A one-legged man.
(d) A union representative.
3. What does Beatrice vow after her father's death?
(a) To murder Harry.
(b) To implicate Harry in the murder.
(c) To murder her mother.
(d) To get even with Ralph.
4. What had Beatrice hoped would happen for her child?
(a) The child would look like Ralph.
(b) The child would be gifted.
(c) The child would inherit Wideacre.
(d) The child would look like her father.
5. What does Beatrice realize once they land in Cherbourg?
(a) She hates to travel.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is homesick.
(d) She loves to travel.
6. What type of man was Ralph's father?
(a) A gypsy.
(b) A politician.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A landed gentry.
7. Why do Harry and Beatrice plan to renovate a suite on the west wing of the mansion?
(a) To have love trysts.
(b) To create an office.
(c) To build a nursery.
(d) To hold lavish parties.
8. What does Beatrice know that Ralph really wants?
(b) Mrs. Lacy.
9. Why does Beatrice want Harry to go forward with his marriage to Celia?
(a) To have a young woman at the house for company.
(b) To get her dowry.
(c) To extend the family.
(d) To produce an heir.
10. What or who is at the center of Beatrice's universe?
(c) The church.
(d) The Squire.
11. Where is Beatrice surprised to see Ralph one day?
(a) In the looking glass in her mother's room.
(b) Riding to town.
(c) At the abandoned mill.
(d) In the stables.
12. What would be included as part of Celia's dowry?
(c) Land adjacent to Wideacre.
13. What does Beatrice do when she learns her child is a girl?
(a) Names her Beatrice.
(b) Buys a French layette.
(c) Names her after her mother.
(d) Refuses to acknowledge the baby.
14. What has Harry learned from a problem boy at school?
(a) How to cut class.
(c) How to cheat on tests.
(d) Sexually deviant behavior.
15. Which of the following does Harry NOT encourage his father to give to Ralph?
(a) The gamekeeper position.
(b) More money.
(c) The Tyack cottage.
(d) Acreage at Wideacre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice do when Harry is sent away to school?
2. What does Celia now regret agreeing to regarding Harry?
3. Who is the true heir of Wideacre?
4. Why does Julia cry so much on the return voyage?
5. Which of the following does NOT characterize Celia?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)