|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will be raising Beatrice's child?
(b) Mrs. Lacy.
2. Why does Julia cry so much on the return voyage?
(a) The motion of the boat frightens her.
(b) She can sense the tension between Celia and Beatrice.
(c) She has colic.
(d) The wet nurse is ill and the child is not getting enough nourishment.
3. What title does Beatrice's father bear?
4. What does Beatrice realize once they land in Cherbourg?
(a) She hates to travel.
(b) She is homesick.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She loves to travel.
5. What do Beatrice and Dr. McAndrew do when he comes to visit one day?
(a) Stroll the grounds.
(b) Race horses.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Drink tea in the parlor.
6. What does Beatrice plan to use in order to get land for herself?
(a) Her body.
(b) Her wits.
(c) Her inheritance.
(d) Her guile.
7. What promise does Beatrice elicit from Celia?
(a) To find Ralph.
(b) To conspire against Harry.
(c) To murder Mrs. Lacy.
(d) To be best friends.
8. What does Harry do when Ralph beats him with a riding crop?
(a) Begs to be hit again.
(b) Shoots him.
(c) Runs away.
(d) Has him arrested.
9. How does Beatrice try to abort her baby?
(a) Hitting herself in the abdomen.
(b) Throwing herself down stairs.
(c) Getting thrown from a horse.
(d) Drinking an herbal potion.
10. Which of the following does Beatrice NOT do after giving birth?
(a) Pushes the child to Celia.
(b) Orders that the "brat" be taken away.
(c) Holds the baby all night long.
(d) Refuses to have anything to do with the child.
11. Beatrice hears about ______________ leading bread riots.
(a) A missionary.
(b) A one-legged man.
(c) A union representative.
(d) A politician.
12. What does Celia arrange shortly after Julia's birth?
(a) Return passage home.
(b) Julia's christening.
(c) Julia's layette.
(d) Plans for a nursery.
13. Who walks in on Beatrice and Ralph as they make love in the abandoned mill?
(a) Mrs. Lacy.
(b) Squire Lacy.
14. What does Beatrice agree to do until other arrangements can be made?
(a) Cook all the meals.
(b) Breastfeed the baby.
(c) Sew baby clothes.
(d) Care for the child at night.
15. What does Harry think about his intimate encounters with Beatrice?
(a) They are harmless.
(b) They are legal.
(c) They are sinful.
(d) They are his destiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice think is the real reason her mother wants Harry to come home from school?
2. By what name is Beatrice referred to by most people?
3. What had Beatrice hoped would happen for her child?
4. Why does Beatrice want Harry to go forward with his marriage to Celia?
5. What frightens Beatrice about Harry when he returns home?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)