|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beatrice know that Ralph really wants?
(a) Mrs. Lacy.
2. What happens to the girls in society families like Beatrice's?
(a) They are married off.
(b) They never get their inheritances.
(c) They are shut away in the house.
(d) They are sent away to school.
3. What does Beatrice think is the real reason her mother wants Harry to come home from school?
(a) He is needed to work the farm.
(b) She does not want to be without his company.
(c) He is homesick.
(d) He is too young to be sent away.
4. What is a focal piece of furniture in the room Beatrice designs for herself?
(a) A damask settee.
(b) Her father's rent table.
(c) An oak buffet.
(d) A wing chair.
5. How does Beatrice plan to retain a hold over Harry?
(a) By being his business manager.
(b) By acting as confidante.
(c) By providing physical pleasure.
(d) By threatening to tell secrets about him.
6. Who walks in on Beatrice and Ralph as they make love in the abandoned mill?
(a) Squire Lacy.
(c) Mrs. Lacy.
7. What does Beatrice agree to do until other arrangements can be made?
(a) Breastfeed the baby.
(b) Cook all the meals.
(c) Care for the child at night.
(d) Sew baby clothes.
8. Which of the following does Harry NOT encourage his father to give to Ralph?
(a) More money.
(b) Acreage at Wideacre.
(c) The gamekeeper position.
(d) The Tyack cottage.
9. Where is Beatrice surprised to see Ralph one day?
(a) In the stables.
(b) At the abandoned mill.
(c) Riding to town.
(d) In the looking glass in her mother's room.
10. What does Beatrice wrap in special paper to keep?
(b) Love letters.
(d) Leaves and soil.
11. What medicine is prescribed for Beatrice so that she can sleep at night?
12. Who becomes enamored with Beatrice at Harry and Celia's wedding?
(a) Dr. McAndrew.
(b) Squire Deeds.
(d) Rev. Stone.
13. Why does Beatrice want Harry to go forward with his marriage to Celia?
(a) To get her dowry.
(b) To produce an heir.
(c) To extend the family.
(d) To have a young woman at the house for company.
14. Which of the following does Ralph NOT envision for his future at Wideacre?
(a) He will marry Beatrice.
(b) Harry will become his partner.
(c) He will sleep on linen sheets.
(d) Beatrice will bring him coffee every morning.
15. What has Harry learned from a problem boy at school?
(a) Sexually deviant behavior.
(b) How to cheat on tests.
(d) How to cut class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird had Ralph once given Beatrice?
2. Who is the true heir of Wideacre?
3. What had Beatrice hoped would happen for her child?
4. Why is the return voyage more enjoyable for Beatrice?
5. Who is Beatrice's brother?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)