|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Beatrice and Dr. McAndrew do when he comes to visit one day?
(a) Stroll the grounds.
(b) Race horses.
(c) Drink tea in the parlor.
(d) Play cards.
2. Which of the following does Harry NOT encourage his father to give to Ralph?
(a) The gamekeeper position.
(b) The Tyack cottage.
(c) Acreage at Wideacre.
(d) More money.
3. How does Beatrice plan to retain a hold over Harry?
(a) By acting as confidante.
(b) By providing physical pleasure.
(c) By being his business manager.
(d) By threatening to tell secrets about him.
4. What does Celia name the new baby?
5. Who do the people of Wideacre look to for leadership?
(d) Mrs. Lacy.
6. With whom does Beatrice have a romantic encounter?
7. What is a focal piece of furniture in the room Beatrice designs for herself?
(a) An oak buffet.
(b) A damask settee.
(c) A wing chair.
(d) Her father's rent table.
8. What type of bird had Ralph once given Beatrice?
9. What does Mrs. Lacy order from the apothecary for Beatrice?
(a) Herbs for nausea.
(b) An emetic.
(c) Sleeping potions.
(d) Chamolile for tea.
10. Who is Ralph's mother?
11. Beatrice hears about ______________ leading bread riots.
(a) A politician.
(b) A union representative.
(c) A missionary.
(d) A one-legged man.
12. Which of the following was NOT mentioned in Squire Lacy's will?
(a) Ralph would inherit 10 acres.
(b) Mrs. Lacy would inherit a dowager house.
(c) Beatrice would inherit a dowry.
(d) Harry would inherit Wideacre.
13. What does Beatrice know that Ralph really wants?
(b) Mrs. Lacy.
14. What idea of Mrs. Lacy's does Beatrice try to deflect?
(a) That Mrs. Lacy should remarry.
(b) That Beatrice should go to college.
(c) That they should try to find Ralph.
(d) That Beatrice should marry soon.
15. Why is the return voyage more enjoyable for Beatrice?
(a) There are more opportunities to be in the open air.
(b) The weather is better suited for sailing.
(c) She spends more time with Harry.
(d) She has a suitor on board.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Beatrice want Harry to go forward with his marriage to Celia?
2. What kind of trap does Beatrice find Ralph making one day?
3. What is the name of Beatrice's doctor?
4. What does Beatrice do when she learns her child is a girl?
5. How old was Beatrice when her father took her on her first ride on his big horse?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)