|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beatrice vow after her father's death?
(a) To get even with Ralph.
(b) To implicate Harry in the murder.
(c) To murder Harry.
(d) To murder her mother.
2. Why does Julia cry so much on the return voyage?
(a) She has colic.
(b) She can sense the tension between Celia and Beatrice.
(c) The motion of the boat frightens her.
(d) The wet nurse is ill and the child is not getting enough nourishment.
3. Which of the following terms does Beatrice NOT use to describe Celia?
4. What does Beatrice call it when Harry interacts with the people of Wideacre?
(a) Drudging it.
(b) Slumming it.
(c) Playing peasant.
(d) Mixing it up with the peons.
5. Which of the following does Beatrice NOT consider to be a threat to her security?
(a) Celia producing a male heir.
(b) Ralph exacting revenge on her.
(c) Her mother sending her away to be married.
(d) Harry falling in love with Celia.
6. Which of the following does Beatrice NOT do after giving birth?
(a) Holds the baby all night long.
(b) Pushes the child to Celia.
(c) Orders that the "brat" be taken away.
(d) Refuses to have anything to do with the child.
7. What does Beatrice think is the real reason her mother wants Harry to come home from school?
(a) He is needed to work the farm.
(b) He is too young to be sent away.
(c) He is homesick.
(d) She does not want to be without his company.
8. Whose infatuation with Harry angers Beatrice?
(d) Mrs. Lacy's.
9. What reason does Beatrice give her mother for their not returning home as expected?
(a) Celia's poor health.
(b) Too much fun.
(c) Bad weather conditions.
(d) Going house hunting.
10. What is a focal piece of furniture in the room Beatrice designs for herself?
(a) An oak buffet.
(b) Her father's rent table.
(c) A damask settee.
(d) A wing chair.
11. What does Beatrice tell Harry about Celia?
(a) She is funny.
(b) She is stupid.
(c) She is cunning.
(d) She is cold.
12. What title does Beatrice's father bear?
13. Why do Harry and Beatrice plan to renovate a suite on the west wing of the mansion?
(a) To build a nursery.
(b) To have love trysts.
(c) To hold lavish parties.
(d) To create an office.
14. What causes Beatrice to faint while trying on her bridesmaid dress?
(a) Talk about Ralph.
(b) The seamstress cuts herself.
(c) The dress is too tight.
(d) The room is very stuffy.
15. Which men does Beatrice hate?
(a) The ones which make it impossible for women to own land.
(b) All of them.
(c) The farmers who work on Wideacre.
(d) The politicians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice plan to use in order to get land for herself?
2. What idea of Mrs. Lacy's does Beatrice try to deflect?
3. Who is the true heir of Wideacre?
4. What or who is at the center of Beatrice's universe?
5. Why is the return voyage more enjoyable for Beatrice?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)