|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many black doctors and dentists does Stamps have?
2. What does her mother say about Maya's pregnancy?
3. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
4. Why does Maya's mother wake her and Bailey at night?
5. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reason for George Taylor's visit and the visit itself.
2. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
3. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
4. What happens to Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco during the war?
5. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
6. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
7. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
8. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
9. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
10. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya was smart and usually worked hard in school. How do you think being intelligent helped her deal with all the problems in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think children have a better childhood if they are raised in a traditional mother/father home? Why or why not? Include a short opinion on how you think Maya's family life affected her as a person.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think you would have felt if you had been a black in the 1930's South in the United States? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)