|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maya start cutting school?
2. Where does Maya go when she runs from her father?
3. With whom does Maya have adult conversations?
4. Where do the black people who move into Maya's neighborhood during the war go to work?
5. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
2. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
3. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
4. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
5. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
6. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
7. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
8. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
9. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
10. Describe the reason for George Taylor's visit and the visit itself.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
Essay Topic 2
With her grandmother's stern discipline and religion, her rape and abandonment by both her father and mother, and dealing with racism, Maya had a difficult childhood. How do you think that might have made her the person she became?
Essay Topic 3
One of the first things white people did after they taught slaves English, was teach them about Christianity. How do you think the church was used to oppress slaves?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)