|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maya worried about seeing her mother again?
2. Who, according to blacks, is successful in spite of the oppression of white people?
3. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
4. How does Miss Kerwin treat her black and white students?
5. What does Maya's mother think of Maya's fear of becoming a lesbian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reason for George Taylor's visit and the visit itself.
2. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
3. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
4. What happens with Dolores when Maya and her father return from Mexico?
5. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
6. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
7. How does Maya feel about her pregnancy and what does she do?
8. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
9. What does Mr. Clidell teach Maya?
10. How does Maya feel about San Francisco as a community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Maya's family's socioeconomic position affected her life as much as her race? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think children have a better childhood if they are raised in a traditional mother/father home? Why or why not? Include a short opinion on how you think Maya's family life affected her as a person.
Essay Topic 3
When Maya's grandmother told Willie about her trip to the white dentist they both felt she had won the encounter. What do you think and why?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)