|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bailey do in response to his mother's dislike of his lifestyle?
2. What does Maya think about her supervisors on the job?
3. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
4. How does Miss Kerwin treat her black and white students?
5. How does Maya's mother's home seem to her after returning from her father's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
2. What happened that upset Bailey so much before he goes to California?
3. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
4. How does Maya feel about her pregnancy and what does she do?
5. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
6. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
7. What happens with Dolores when Maya and her father return from Mexico?
8. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
9. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
10. Where does Maya stay after leaving her father's friend's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think you would have felt if you had been a black in the 1930's South in the United States? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Years after Maya's rape she still suffered from fear and guilt. Why do you think these feelings continued in her?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)