|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to blacks, is successful in spite of the oppression of white people?
2. How does Maya react to her fight with Dolores?
3. What do the boys in the gang do for money?
4. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
5. What job does Vivian do for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
2. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
3. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
4. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
5. How does Maya imagine her grandmother will handle the dentist?
6. What does Mr. Clidell teach Maya?
7. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
8. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
9. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
10. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is central in Momma's life. The church is the center of the black community and holds the people together. Explain why you think the church would be important in black people's lives at the time in which Maya was a young girl. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Years after Maya's rape she still suffered from fear and guilt. Why do you think these feelings continued in her?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think class determines a person's final position in society? Why or why not?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)