|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
2. How does Miss Kerwin treat her black and white students?
3. Where does Momma tell Maya and Bailey they will be going to live?
4. What does Dolores call Vivian?
5. How far is Maya moved up when she starts school in San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maya do when she leaves her father's friend's house?
2. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
3. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
4. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
5. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
6. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
7. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
8. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
9. What happened that upset Bailey so much before he goes to California?
10. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Maya had to grow up too fast? Why? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Maya learns hope and faith through her religious community but also learns fear and hate from living in a segregated and oppressive environment. How do you think the positive values of hope and faith can balance the fear and hate in Maya's life? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)