|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maya's rank in her graduating class?
2. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
3. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
4. Why are Maya and Bailey being sent away?
5. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that upset Bailey so much before he goes to California?
2. What does Maya do when she leaves her father's friend's house?
3. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
4. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
5. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
6. How does Maya feel about San Francisco as a community?
7. How does Maya feel about her pregnancy and what does she do?
8. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
9. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
10. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think racism still exits in America? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is central in Momma's life. The church is the center of the black community and holds the people together. Explain why you think the church would be important in black people's lives at the time in which Maya was a young girl. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Maya's family's socioeconomic position affected her life as much as her race? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)