|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maya transfer to school?
2. Why does George Taylor visit Momma?
3. What does the pregnancy prove to Maya, in her mind?
4. Where does Vivian go when she leaves Maya and Momma in St. Louis?
5. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
2. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
3. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
4. What happens with Dolores when Maya and her father return from Mexico?
5. How does Maya feel about her pregnancy and what does she do?
6. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
7. What does Maya's father do for a living and how does he obtain what is necessary for the job?
8. Where does Maya stay after leaving her father's friend's?
9. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
10. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Maya had to grow up too fast? Why? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Maya was smart and usually worked hard in school. How do you think being intelligent helped her deal with all the problems in her life?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)