|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
2. How is racism practiced in San Francisco?
3. After Bailey gets to St. Louis how long do they stay waiting for their mother?
4. How does Maya see the city of San Francisco?
5. Where does Vivian go when she leaves Maya and Momma in St. Louis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
2. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
3. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
4. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
5. What does Maya do when she leaves her father's friend's house?
6. What does Mr. Clidell teach Maya?
7. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
8. What happens to Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco during the war?
9. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
10. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Maya's grandmother told Willie about her trip to the white dentist they both felt she had won the encounter. What do you think and why?
Essay Topic 2
Many of our beliefs tend to form early, often they are false because as young people we sometimes don't have the information we need to filter out false thinking. Maya had many beliefs as a child that were false. What were three of these beliefs, in your opinion and why do you think they were false?
Essay Topic 3
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)