|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
2. Who teaches Maya the rules of the junkyard?
3. What does Maya's mother think of Maya's fear of becoming a lesbian?
4. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
5. How does Maya get to her new school in San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Dolores when Maya and her father return from Mexico?
2. How does Maya feel about her pregnancy and what does she do?
3. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
4. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
5. What happens to Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco during the war?
6. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
7. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
8. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
9. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
10. How does Maya feel about San Francisco as a community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many reasons Maya did not fit into school or home. What do you think she could have done to fit in better at her white school? What could the other children have done to help?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Maya had to grow up too fast? Why? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Maya learns hope and faith through her religious community but also learns fear and hate from living in a segregated and oppressive environment. How do you think the positive values of hope and faith can balance the fear and hate in Maya's life? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)