|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Taylor say about his dead wife and children?
2. Why do Momma and Maya go away before Bailey?
3. How does Maya react to her fight with Dolores?
4. How long does it take Maya to get a job with the street car company?
5. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
2. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
3. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
4. Where does Maya stay after leaving her father's friend's?
5. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
6. What happens between Dolores and Maya when Maya's father leaves her with Dolores?
7. What does Maya's father do for a living and how does he obtain what is necessary for the job?
8. Describe the reason for George Taylor's visit and the visit itself.
9. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
10. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think you would have felt if you had been a black in the 1930's South in the United States? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think children have a better childhood if they are raised in a traditional mother/father home? Why or why not? Include a short opinion on how you think Maya's family life affected her as a person.
Essay Topic 3
If Maya Angelou were your grandmother what would you say to other students who asked you about her?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)