|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
2. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
3. What kind of people does the street car company hire?
4. Where does Momma tell Maya and Bailey they will be going to live?
5. What does Maya's mother think of Maya's fear of becoming a lesbian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that upset Bailey so much before he goes to California?
2. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
3. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
4. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
5. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
6. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
7. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
8. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
9. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
10. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Maya had to grow up too fast? Why? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Religion is central in Momma's life. The church is the center of the black community and holds the people together. Explain why you think the church would be important in black people's lives at the time in which Maya was a young girl. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Maya learned young to fear death. How do you think life would be different if humans had a 500-year lifespan?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)