|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maya's father take her after her fight with Dolores?
2. What do Bailey and Maya have in common since her return from her father's?
3. How do Momma and Willie see Momma's confrontation with the dentist?
4. What does Maya's mother think of Maya's fear of becoming a lesbian?
5. How long does it take Maya to get a job with the street car company?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
2. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
3. Where does Maya stay after leaving her father's friend's?
4. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
5. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
6. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
7. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
8. What happens between Dolores and Maya when Maya's father leaves her with Dolores?
9. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
10. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
Essay Topic 2
There were many reasons Maya did not fit into school or home. What do you think she could have done to fit in better at her white school? What could the other children have done to help?
Essay Topic 3
Years after Maya's rape she still suffered from fear and guilt. Why do you think these feelings continued in her?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)