|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
2. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
3. What do Bailey and Maya have in common since her return from her father's?
4. Why are Maya and Bailey being sent away?
5. What do the boys in the gang do for money?
Essay Topic 1
Maya was quite old before she made a friend. How do you think not having friends in childhood might affect a person as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Maya had to grow up too fast? Why? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Maya learns hope and faith through her religious community but also learns fear and hate from living in a segregated and oppressive environment. How do you think the positive values of hope and faith can balance the fear and hate in Maya's life? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)