|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Taylor say about his dead wife and children?
2. How does Maya's mother's home seem to her after returning from her father's?
3. Why does Maya start cutting school?
4. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
5. What kind of people does the street car company hire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
2. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
3. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
4. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
5. How does Maya feel about San Francisco as a community?
6. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
7. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
8. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
9. What happened that upset Bailey so much before he goes to California?
10. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many reasons Maya did not fit into school or home. What do you think she could have done to fit in better at her white school? What could the other children have done to help?
Essay Topic 2
Maya learned young to fear death. How do you think life would be different if humans had a 500-year lifespan?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think children have a better childhood if they are raised in a traditional mother/father home? Why or why not? Include a short opinion on how you think Maya's family life affected her as a person.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)