|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
2. Maya says has gained independence but lost what?
3. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
4. How do Momma and Willie see Momma's confrontation with the dentist?
5. Why can Maya not become a lesbian, according to her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
2. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
3. Where does Maya stay after leaving her father's friend's?
4. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
5. What does Maya's father do for a living and how does he obtain what is necessary for the job?
6. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
7. What does Mr. Clidell teach Maya?
8. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
9. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
10. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think class determines a person's final position in society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
With her grandmother's stern discipline and religion, her rape and abandonment by both her father and mother, and dealing with racism, Maya had a difficult childhood. How do you think that might have made her the person she became?
Essay Topic 3
Religion is central in Momma's life. The church is the center of the black community and holds the people together. Explain why you think the church would be important in black people's lives at the time in which Maya was a young girl. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)