|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
2. What does Willie tell Bailey is the reason white people hate blacks so much?
3. Why is Maya uncomfortable about her new school in San Francisco?
4. How does Maya prove she is not a lesbian?
5. What does her mother say about Maya's pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
2. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
3. What happened that upset Bailey so much before he goes to California?
4. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
5. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
6. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
7. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
8. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
9. Where does Maya stay after leaving her father's friend's?
10. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Maya's family's socioeconomic position affected her life as much as her race? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
One of the first things white people did after they taught slaves English, was teach them about Christianity. How do you think the church was used to oppress slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)