|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
2. Why is Maya afraid to go home to her mother's?
3. How does Maya get to her new school in San Francisco?
4. What do the people at graduation sing after the valedictorian's speech?
5. What does Willie tell Bailey is the reason white people hate blacks so much?
Essay Topic 1
Maya learns hope and faith through her religious community but also learns fear and hate from living in a segregated and oppressive environment. How do you think the positive values of hope and faith can balance the fear and hate in Maya's life? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
With her grandmother's stern discipline and religion, her rape and abandonment by both her father and mother, and dealing with racism, Maya had a difficult childhood. How do you think that might have made her the person she became?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Maya's family's socioeconomic position affected her life as much as her race? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)