|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
2. Why are Maya and Bailey being sent away?
3. Where does Maya transfer to school?
4. How does Maya react to her fight with Dolores?
5. How long does it take Maya to get a job with the street car company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
2. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
3. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
4. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
5. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
6. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
7. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
8. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
9. What does Maya's father do for a living and how does he obtain what is necessary for the job?
10. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think you would have felt if you had been a black in the 1930's South in the United States? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
One of the first things white people did after they taught slaves English, was teach them about Christianity. How do you think the church was used to oppress slaves?
Essay Topic 3
There were many reasons Maya did not fit into school or home. What do you think she could have done to fit in better at her white school? What could the other children have done to help?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)