|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Vivian marry after Maya has gone to live with her?
2. What does Mr. Taylor say about his dead wife and children?
3. Why is Maya worried about seeing her mother again?
4. How is Bailey changing in San Francisco?
5. What do the people at graduation sing after the valedictorian's speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that upset Bailey so much before he goes to California?
2. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
3. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
4. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
5. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
6. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
7. What does Mr. Clidell teach Maya?
8. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
9. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
10. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya gradually learned to become an activist for black civil rights. Is there any area in your life where you are working for a cause? Explain what you do and if not, write about a cause you believe is good.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Maya's family's socioeconomic position affected her life as much as her race? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Religion is central in Momma's life. The church is the center of the black community and holds the people together. Explain why you think the church would be important in black people's lives at the time in which Maya was a young girl. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)