|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does her mother tell Maya about cutting school?
2. Why is Maya uncomfortable about her new school in San Francisco?
3. How does Maya see the city of San Francisco?
4. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
5. How does Maya feel about the threat of bombings during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Maya stay after leaving her father's friend's?
2. How does Maya imagine her grandmother will handle the dentist?
3. Describe the reason for George Taylor's visit and the visit itself.
4. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
5. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
6. What happens to Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco during the war?
7. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
8. What happens between Dolores and Maya when Maya's father leaves her with Dolores?
9. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
10. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Maya Angelou were your grandmother what would you say to other students who asked you about her?
Essay Topic 2
Maya gradually learned to become an activist for black civil rights. Is there any area in your life where you are working for a cause? Explain what you do and if not, write about a cause you believe is good.
Essay Topic 3
One of the first things white people did after they taught slaves English, was teach them about Christianity. How do you think the church was used to oppress slaves?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)