|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
2. How far is Maya moved up when she starts school in San Francisco?
3. What does Mr. Taylor say about his dead wife and children?
4. Why does Maya drive the car back to Calexico?
5. Why can Maya not become a lesbian, according to her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of our beliefs tend to form early, often they are false because as young people we sometimes don't have the information we need to filter out false thinking. Maya had many beliefs as a child that were false. What were three of these beliefs, in your opinion and why do you think they were false?
Essay Topic 2
Maya gradually learned to become an activist for black civil rights. Is there any area in your life where you are working for a cause? Explain what you do and if not, write about a cause you believe is good.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think class determines a person's final position in society? Why or why not?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)