|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Flowers tell Maya about language?
2. What do Maya and her best friend call the language that they create?
3. How many times has Momma been married?
4. What convinces Maya as she is leaving that Mrs. Cullinan now knows her name?
5. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
2. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
3. What happens between Dolores and Maya when Maya's father leaves her with Dolores?
4. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
5. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
6. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
7. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
8. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
9. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
10. How does Maya imagine her grandmother will handle the dentist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With her grandmother's stern discipline and religion, her rape and abandonment by both her father and mother, and dealing with racism, Maya had a difficult childhood. How do you think that might have made her the person she became?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Maya had to grow up too fast? Why? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think you would have felt if you had been a black in the 1930's South in the United States? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
This section contains 1,524 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)