|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinces Maya as she is leaving that Mrs. Cullinan now knows her name?
2. What does Grandma Baxter do?
3. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
4. What does Maya call the time she spends with Mrs. Flowers?
5. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
2. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
3. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
4. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
5. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
6. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
7. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
8. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
9. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
10. How does Maya feel about her grandmother's store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Maya's grandmother told Willie about her trip to the white dentist they both felt she had won the encounter. What do you think and why?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think children have a better childhood if they are raised in a traditional mother/father home? Why or why not? Include a short opinion on how you think Maya's family life affected her as a person.
Essay Topic 3
Maya learns hope and faith through her religious community but also learns fear and hate from living in a segregated and oppressive environment. How do you think the positive values of hope and faith can balance the fear and hate in Maya's life? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)