|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the children peanut patties?
2. What do Maya and her best friend call the language that they create?
3. How old is Maya when she goes to work for Mrs. Cullinan?
4. What does Bailey do when someone insults Maya?
5. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
2. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
3. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
4. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
5. What does Maya say about childhood questions?
6. Describe what happens after Maya's mother finds her panties.
7. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
8. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
9. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
10. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the first things white people did after they taught slaves English, was teach them about Christianity. How do you think the church was used to oppress slaves?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think racism still exits in America? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Religion is central in Momma's life. The church is the center of the black community and holds the people together. Explain why you think the church would be important in black people's lives at the time in which Maya was a young girl. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)