|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya wish when she reads books about heroes?
2. What does Maya call the time she spends with Mrs. Flowers?
3. Where does Bailey build a hideaway?
4. What do the preachers talk about in relationship to God and whites?
5. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maya imagine her grandmother will handle the dentist?
2. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
3. What are black girls supposed to learn in Stamps and how do they learn it?
4. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
5. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
6. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
7. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
8. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
9. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
10. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think you would have felt if you had been a black in the 1930's South in the United States? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think children have a better childhood if they are raised in a traditional mother/father home? Why or why not? Include a short opinion on how you think Maya's family life affected her as a person.
Essay Topic 3
There were many reasons Maya did not fit into school or home. What do you think she could have done to fit in better at her white school? What could the other children have done to help?
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)