|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of men are Maya's uncles?
2. Why do Maya and Bailey dislike the Reverend Thomas?
3. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
4. How do Maya and Bailey feel when they get Christmas presents from their parents?
5. Who becomes Maya's first girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
2. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
3. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
4. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
5. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
6. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
7. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
8. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
9. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
10. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya learns hope and faith through her religious community but also learns fear and hate from living in a segregated and oppressive environment. How do you think the positive values of hope and faith can balance the fear and hate in Maya's life? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Maya gradually learned to become an activist for black civil rights. Is there any area in your life where you are working for a cause? Explain what you do and if not, write about a cause you believe is good.
Essay Topic 3
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)