|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya think of her black skin?
2. What does Uncle Willie do to punish mistakes in math that Maya makes?
3. What happens to Mr. Freedman after court?
4. What kind of men are Maya's uncles?
5. What does Maya admire about Bailey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
2. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
3. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
4. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
5. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
6. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
7. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
8. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
9. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
10. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Years after Maya's rape she still suffered from fear and guilt. Why do you think these feelings continued in her?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Maya's family's socioeconomic position affected her life as much as her race? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Many of our beliefs tend to form early, often they are false because as young people we sometimes don't have the information we need to filter out false thinking. Maya had many beliefs as a child that were false. What were three of these beliefs, in your opinion and why do you think they were false?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)