|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where, according to the author, can childhood questions be answered?
2. What does Maya say about her senses following her troubles with Mr. Freedman?
3. What does Maya see between the preachers during the revival that she has never seen before?
4. Why does Maya say she is so advanced in school?
5. What happens to Joyce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
2. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
3. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
4. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
5. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
6. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
7. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
8. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
9. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
10. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the first things white people did after they taught slaves English, was teach them about Christianity. How do you think the church was used to oppress slaves?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think you would have felt if you had been a black in the 1930's South in the United States? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Maya gradually learned to become an activist for black civil rights. Is there any area in your life where you are working for a cause? Explain what you do and if not, write about a cause you believe is good.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)