|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Uncle Willie become handicapped?
2. Why do the blacks say it is fine for the whites to have money?
3. How does Maya punish herself when she does not measure flour correctly?
4. What does Bailey do for Joyce?
5. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maya feel about her grandmother's store?
2. What does Maya learn to understand, and later believe, about cotton pickers?
3. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
4. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
5. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
6. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
7. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
8. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
9. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
10. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think children have a better childhood if they are raised in a traditional mother/father home? Why or why not? Include a short opinion on how you think Maya's family life affected her as a person.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think class determines a person's final position in society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think you would have felt if you had been a black in the 1930's South in the United States? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)