|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
2. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
3. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
4. Why do the blacks say it is fine for the whites to have money?
5. Who gives the children peanut patties?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
2. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
3. What does Maya say about childhood questions?
4. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
5. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
6. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
7. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
8. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
9. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
10. How does Maya feel about her grandmother's store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of our beliefs tend to form early, often they are false because as young people we sometimes don't have the information we need to filter out false thinking. Maya had many beliefs as a child that were false. What were three of these beliefs, in your opinion and why do you think they were false?
Essay Topic 2
Maya was quite old before she made a friend. How do you think not having friends in childhood might affect a person as an adult?
Essay Topic 3
With her grandmother's stern discipline and religion, her rape and abandonment by both her father and mother, and dealing with racism, Maya had a difficult childhood. How do you think that might have made her the person she became?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)