|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a young child who is Maya's favorite author?
2. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
3. Who are the fighters that the blacks are listening to during a match broadcast on the radio?
4. When Louis goes down temporarily how does it feel to the blacks?
5. What do the blacks in Stamps think of Mrs. Flowers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens after Maya's mother finds her panties.
2. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
3. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
4. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
5. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
6. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
7. What does Maya say about childhood questions?
8. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
9. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
10. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
Essay Topic 1
When Maya's grandmother told Willie about her trip to the white dentist they both felt she had won the encounter. What do you think and why?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Maya had to grow up too fast? Why? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
One of the first things white people did after they taught slaves English, was teach them about Christianity. How do you think the church was used to oppress slaves?
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)