|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bailey do in his hideaway?
2. Who becomes Maya's first girlfriend?
3. What does she learn from the prejudice the blacks face in Stamps?
4. What happens to Joyce?
5. What does Maya wish when she reads books about heroes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
2. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
3. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
4. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
5. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
6. What does Maya say about childhood questions?
7. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
8. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
9. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
10. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think class determines a person's final position in society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Maya's family's socioeconomic position affected her life as much as her race? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
If Maya Angelou were your grandmother what would you say to other students who asked you about her?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)