|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya tell Joyce?
2. How do Maya and Bailey feel when they get Christmas presents from their parents?
3. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
4. What do the blacks ask in regard to the whites and judgment?
5. How does Maya feel once she is back in Stamps?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
2. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
3. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
4. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
5. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
6. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
7. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
8. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
9. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
10. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think class determines a person's final position in society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One of the first things white people did after they taught slaves English, was teach them about Christianity. How do you think the church was used to oppress slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Maya had to grow up too fast? Why? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)