|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are girls in Stamps required to learn?
2. How does Maya punish herself when she does not measure flour correctly?
3. What does Maya call the time she spends with Mrs. Flowers?
4. Why do some people who live farther away stay at Momma's after the fight?
5. What does Maya see between the preachers during the revival that she has never seen before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
2. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
3. What does Maya learn to understand, and later believe, about cotton pickers?
4. How does Maya feel about her grandmother's store?
5. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
6. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
7. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
8. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
9. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
10. Describe what happens after Maya's mother finds her panties.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya was smart and usually worked hard in school. How do you think being intelligent helped her deal with all the problems in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Maya learned young to fear death. How do you think life would be different if humans had a 500-year lifespan?
Essay Topic 3
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)