|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
2. What does Maya do with her panties after Mr. Freedman attacks her?
3. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
4. What day of the week is exciting and different to Maya?
5. What does Joyce do that confuses Bailey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
2. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
3. What are black girls supposed to learn in Stamps and how do they learn it?
4. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
5. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
6. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
7. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
8. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
9. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
10. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With her grandmother's stern discipline and religion, her rape and abandonment by both her father and mother, and dealing with racism, Maya had a difficult childhood. How do you think that might have made her the person she became?
Essay Topic 2
Maya was quite old before she made a friend. How do you think not having friends in childhood might affect a person as an adult?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Maya had to grow up too fast? Why? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)