|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya decide to do after Mr. Freedman is stopped?
2. Where, according to the author, can childhood questions be answered?
3. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
4. What in the movies reminds Bailey of his mother?
5. What does Bailey do for Joyce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
2. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
3. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
4. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
5. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
6. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
7. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
8. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
9. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
10. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is central in Momma's life. The church is the center of the black community and holds the people together. Explain why you think the church would be important in black people's lives at the time in which Maya was a young girl. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There were many reasons Maya did not fit into school or home. What do you think she could have done to fit in better at her white school? What could the other children have done to help?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)