|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bailey and Maya sit in church?
2. How does segregation affect the attitude of blacks towards whites?
3. How many times has Momma been married?
4. How did Uncle Willie become handicapped?
5. How are the cotton pickers in the first chapter paid?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
2. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
3. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
4. What are black girls supposed to learn in Stamps and how do they learn it?
5. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
6. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
7. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
8. Describe what happens after Maya's mother finds her panties.
9. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
10. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With her grandmother's stern discipline and religion, her rape and abandonment by both her father and mother, and dealing with racism, Maya had a difficult childhood. How do you think that might have made her the person she became?
Essay Topic 2
Many of our beliefs tend to form early, often they are false because as young people we sometimes don't have the information we need to filter out false thinking. Maya had many beliefs as a child that were false. What were three of these beliefs, in your opinion and why do you think they were false?
Essay Topic 3
Maya was smart and usually worked hard in school. How do you think being intelligent helped her deal with all the problems in her life?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)