|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
2. How does segregation affect the attitude of blacks towards whites?
3. How does Maya imagine herself when she is very young?
4. What in the movies reminds Bailey of his mother?
5. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are black girls supposed to learn in Stamps and how do they learn it?
2. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
3. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
4. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
5. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
6. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
7. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
8. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
9. Describe what happens after Maya's mother finds her panties.
10. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think racism still exits in America? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Maya's family's socioeconomic position affected her life as much as her race? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Religion is central in Momma's life. The church is the center of the black community and holds the people together. Explain why you think the church would be important in black people's lives at the time in which Maya was a young girl. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)