|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maya imagine herself when she is very young?
2. Why do Maya and her brother go to live with their grandmother in Stamps?
3. What does Bailey do for Joyce?
4. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
5. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
2. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
3. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
4. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
5. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
6. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
7. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
8. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
9. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
10. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think children have a better childhood if they are raised in a traditional mother/father home? Why or why not? Include a short opinion on how you think Maya's family life affected her as a person.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Maya's family's socioeconomic position affected her life as much as her race? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)