|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Flowers tell Maya about language?
2. What makes Maya proud to be black for the first time?
3. What happens to Mr. Freedman after court?
4. What does Maya tell Joyce?
5. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
2. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
3. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
4. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
5. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
6. What does Maya learn to understand, and later believe, about cotton pickers?
7. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
8. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
9. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
10. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With her grandmother's stern discipline and religion, her rape and abandonment by both her father and mother, and dealing with racism, Maya had a difficult childhood. How do you think that might have made her the person she became?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think class determines a person's final position in society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Maya learned young to fear death. How do you think life would be different if humans had a 500-year lifespan?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)