|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the cotton pickers in the first chapter paid?
2. What is the biggest gathering of the year in Stamps for black people?
3. How does Bailey get to Baton Rouge?
4. How old is Maya when she goes to work for Mrs. Cullinan?
5. Where does Maya say a person's values and opinions are formed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
2. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
3. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
4. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
5. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
6. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
7. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
8. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
9. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
10. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maya gradually learned to become an activist for black civil rights. Is there any area in your life where you are working for a cause? Explain what you do and if not, write about a cause you believe is good.
Essay Topic 2
Maya was smart and usually worked hard in school. How do you think being intelligent helped her deal with all the problems in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Religion is central in Momma's life. The church is the center of the black community and holds the people together. Explain why you think the church would be important in black people's lives at the time in which Maya was a young girl. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)