|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
2. What convinces Maya as she is leaving that Mrs. Cullinan now knows her name?
3. What do Maya and her best friend call the language that they create?
4. What day of the week is exciting and different to Maya?
5. What does Maya do with her panties after Mr. Freedman attacks her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
2. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
3. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
4. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
5. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
6. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
7. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
8. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
9. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
10. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Maya Angelou were your grandmother what would you say to other students who asked you about her?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think you would have felt if you had been a black in the 1930's South in the United States? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Maya learned the power of words from Mrs. Flowers. How do you think your life is affected by words?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)