|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joyce do that confuses Bailey?
2. How does Maya feel once she is back in Stamps?
3. What do the black women do for the yearly gathering in Stamps?
4. What does Maya think of her black skin?
5. Who becomes Maya's first girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
2. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
3. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
4. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
5. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
6. Describe what happens after Maya's mother finds her panties.
7. What does Maya say about childhood questions?
8. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
9. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
10. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With her grandmother's stern discipline and religion, her rape and abandonment by both her father and mother, and dealing with racism, Maya had a difficult childhood. How do you think that might have made her the person she became?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think racism still exits in America? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Maya had to grow up too fast? Why? Use examples from the book to illustrate your opinion.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)