|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
(a) There are a lot of cute boys.
(b) The school is filled with troubled girls.
(c) The school is mostly Chinese.
(d) The school sits next to the subway.
2. How does Maya get to her new school in San Francisco?
(a) street car
3. What do the boys in the gang do for money?
(a) con people
(b) sweep out pool halls and mow lawns
(c) shine shoes
4. What kind of people does the street car company hire?
(a) educated people
(c) white people
(d) high school graduates
5. How does Maya's mother's home seem to her after returning from her father's?
(b) noisy and confusing
(c) smaller and quieter
Short Answer Questions
1. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
2. Why is Maya afraid to go home to her mother's?
3. How long does it take Maya to get a job with the street car company?
4. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
5. How does Maya react to her fight with Dolores?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maya feel about her pregnancy and what does she do?
2. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
3. Describe the reason for George Taylor's visit and the visit itself.
4. Where does Maya stay after leaving her father's friend's?
5. What happens to Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco during the war?
6. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
7. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
8. What happens between Dolores and Maya when Maya's father leaves her with Dolores?
9. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
10. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)