|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya's mother think of Maya's fear of becoming a lesbian?
(a) It is silly.
(b) It might be based in fact.
(c) It is scary.
(d) It is possible.
2. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
(a) her gift of books
(b) her scarf
(c) a satin cushion
(d) a piece of jewlery
3. What does Momma make the white dentist do?
(a) leave town
(b) see Maya
(d) pay her the ten dollars that he owes her
4. What does Momma give Maya for graduation?
(a) a used car
(b) a Mickey Mouse watch
(c) a new dress
(d) a business suit
5. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
(a) doctors and lawyers
(c) farmers, maids, handymen and carpenters
(d) business owners
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maya feel about the threat of bombings during the war?
2. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
3. What is Maya's rank in her graduating class?
4. Where does Maya spend summer vacation?
5. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
2. What does Mr. Clidell teach Maya?
3. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
4. How does Maya feel about her pregnancy and what does she do?
5. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
6. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
7. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
8. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
9. How does Maya feel about San Francisco as a community?
10. What happens between Dolores and Maya when Maya's father leaves her with Dolores?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)