|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Maya and Bailey being sent away?
(a) Momma is too old.
(b) Stamps is too segregated.
(c) Momma does not want them anymore.
(d) Their father wants them.
2. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
(a) a satin cushion
(b) her scarf
(c) her gift of books
(d) a piece of jewlery
3. What do the people at graduation sing after the valedictorian's speech?
(a) Amazing Grace
(b) It's a Hard, Hard World
(c) the national anthem
(d) the Negro National Anthem
4. What kind of people does the street car company hire?
(a) high school graduates
(c) white people
(d) educated people
5. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
(c) not interested in it
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maya worried about seeing her mother again?
2. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
3. What happens to Maya's Japanese neighbors during the war?
4. What does Momma make the white dentist do?
5. What do Bailey and Maya have in common since her return from her father's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
2. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
3. What happens with Dolores when Maya and her father return from Mexico?
4. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
5. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
6. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
7. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
8. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
9. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
10. What does Maya do when she leaves her father's friend's house?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)