|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dolores tell Maya's father about marriage?
(a) She does not believe in marriage.
(b) She does not want to marry.
(c) She will marry if Maya will come to the wedding.
(d) She wants to marry him but not his children.
2. How does Dolores feel about Maya?
(a) She wants to adopt her.
(b) She is jealous of her.
(c) She is afraid of her.
(d) She likes her.
3. What does Momma make the white dentist do?
(a) see Maya
(c) pay her the ten dollars that he owes her
(d) leave town
4. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
(a) Maya is wearing his jacket.
(b) He forgot some ingredients.
(c) They are late.
(d) He has cheated on her.
5. What does Mr. Taylor say about his dead wife and children?
(a) She talked to him last night.
(b) They should have adopted children.
(c) They did not need children.
(d) They were not able to have children.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many black doctors and dentists does Stamps have?
2. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
3. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
4. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
5. What is Maya's rank in her graduating class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
2. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
3. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
4. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
5. How does Maya imagine her grandmother will handle the dentist?
6. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
7. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
8. How does Maya feel about San Francisco as a community?
9. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
10. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)