|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
(a) with Momma wrecking his office
(b) with Momma kicking him out of town
(c) with Momma hitting him over the head
(d) with Momma convincing him to see Maya
2. Why is Maya uncomfortable about her new school in San Francisco?
(a) She is not the smartest kid in school anymore.
(b) Most of the class is Chinese.
(c) She does not have the right clothes to wear.
(d) She travels through wealthy, white neighborhoods.
3. Why does Maya drive the car back to Calexico?
(a) Her father is drunk.
(b) she does not drive the car because she is too young.
(c) Her father is sick.
(d) Her father takes off for South America.
4. An adult Maya suggests that black people survive ___________________.
(a) by taking over the government
(b) in relationship to their dedicated poets
(c) by education
(d) by arming themselves
5. What does Bailey do in response to his mother's dislike of his lifestyle?
(a) goes back to school
(b) slaps her
(c) quits hanging with his friends
(d) moves out
Short Answer Questions
1. How is racism practiced in San Francisco?
2. What does Maya's mother think of Maya's fear of becoming a lesbian?
3. What is Maya's rank in her graduating class?
4. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
5. How do Momma and Willie see Momma's confrontation with the dentist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
2. How does Maya feel about San Francisco as a community?
3. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
4. What happens with Dolores when Maya and her father return from Mexico?
5. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
6. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
7. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
8. What does Mr. Clidell teach Maya?
9. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
10. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)