|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
(a) He forgot some ingredients.
(b) They are late.
(c) Maya is wearing his jacket.
(d) He has cheated on her.
2. Where does Maya go when she runs from her father?
(a) She goes to Stamps.
(b) She goes back to her mother.
(c) She goes to Florida.
(d) She wanders the town.
3. How does Maya get to her new school in San Francisco?
(d) street car
4. Where do the black people who move into Maya's neighborhood during the war go to work?
(a) in the dance halls
(b) on the docks
(c) in the motels
(d) in the war factories
5. How does Vivian teach the children about other cultures?
(a) giving them books to read
(b) introducing them to people from other countries
(c) through food
(d) taking them to different parts of the city
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Taylor's funeral do to Maya?
2. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
3. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
4. An adult Maya suggests that black people survive ___________________.
5. Why can Maya not become a lesbian, according to her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that upset Bailey so much before he goes to California?
2. What happens to Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco during the war?
3. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
4. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
5. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
6. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
7. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
8. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
9. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
10. Where does Maya stay after leaving her father's friend's?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)