|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya's mother think of Maya's fear of becoming a lesbian?
(a) It is possible.
(b) It is silly.
(c) It is scary.
(d) It might be based in fact.
2. What happens after the baby is born?
(a) She goes to Stamps.
(b) She gets pregnant again.
(c) Maya is afraid to touch him.
(d) She wants another baby.
3. How far is Maya moved up when she starts school in San Francisco?
(a) she is not moved up
(b) two years
(c) one semester
(d) two semesters
4. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
(a) a piece of jewlery
(b) her scarf
(c) her gift of books
(d) a satin cushion
5. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
(a) business owners
(b) doctors and lawyers
(c) farmers, maids, handymen and carpenters
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dolores tell Maya's father about marriage?
2. Maya says has gained independence but lost what?
3. What does Maya think about her supervisors on the job?
4. Where does Vivian go when she leaves Maya and Momma in St. Louis?
5. What does Maya tell her father about Dolores?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
2. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
3. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
4. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
5. What happens with Dolores when Maya and her father return from Mexico?
6. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
7. What does Maya's father do for a living and how does he obtain what is necessary for the job?
8. How does Maya feel about San Francisco as a community?
9. What happened that upset Bailey so much before he goes to California?
10. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)