|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maya feel about communication with the dead?
2. How does Maya's mother's home seem to her after returning from her father's?
(a) smaller and quieter
(b) noisy and confusing
3. How does Maya prove she is not a lesbian?
(a) She sees a psychologist.
(b) She reads more books.
(c) She has sex with a boy.
(d) She starts dating boys.
4. Why can Maya not become a lesbian, according to her mother?
(a) It is against the church.
(b) It does not run in the family.
(c) Her mother has one son and one daughter.
(d) She has seen Maya watching boys.
5. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
(a) There are a lot of cute boys.
(b) The school is filled with troubled girls.
(c) The school sits next to the subway.
(d) The school is mostly Chinese.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does George Taylor visit Momma?
2. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
3. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
4. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
5. How does Vivian teach the children about other cultures?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
2. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
3. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
4. How does Maya imagine her grandmother will handle the dentist?
5. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
6. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
7. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
8. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
9. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
10. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)