|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Bailey gets to St. Louis how long do they stay waiting for their mother?
(a) two weeks
(b) six months
(c) a year
(d) four days
2. Who, according to blacks, is successful in spite of the oppression of white people?
(a) the hero in the ghetto
(b) black doctors
(c) teachers in black schools
(d) Malcom X
3. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
(a) They are doing all the dirty work.
(b) There are too many blacks for the whites to control.
(c) They are not a threat.
(d) The whites have the Japanese to harrass.
4. What do the boys in the gang do for money?
(a) sweep out pool halls and mow lawns
(c) shine shoes
(d) con people
5. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
(a) They threaten Maya.
(b) They threaten to lynch him.
(c) They make him carry the body of a black man.
(d) They beat him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the baby is born?
2. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
3. How is Bailey changing in San Francisco?
4. Who does Vivian marry after Maya has gone to live with her?
5. What does her mother say about Maya's pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
2. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
3. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
4. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
5. What happens between Dolores and Maya when Maya's father leaves her with Dolores?
6. What does Mr. Clidell teach Maya?
7. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
8. What happens to Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco during the war?
9. How does Maya feel about her pregnancy and what does she do?
10. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)