|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
(a) to stay away from them
(b) how to con them
(c) how to join them
(d) how to spot them
2. Why are Maya and Bailey being sent away?
(a) Momma is too old.
(b) Their father wants them.
(c) Momma does not want them anymore.
(d) Stamps is too segregated.
3. Where does Maya go when she runs from her father?
(a) She goes to Stamps.
(b) She wanders the town.
(c) She goes to Florida.
(d) She goes back to her mother.
4. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
(a) The whites have the Japanese to harrass.
(b) They are doing all the dirty work.
(c) There are too many blacks for the whites to control.
(d) They are not a threat.
5. Where does Maya sleep when she is on her own?
(a) in the library
(b) in an abandoned car
(c) at a hotel
(d) under a bridge
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
2. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
3. Why does Maya start cutting school?
4. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
5. How does Vivian teach the children about other cultures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that upset Bailey so much before he goes to California?
2. What happens to Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco during the war?
3. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
4. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
5. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
6. What does Maya's father do for a living and how does he obtain what is necessary for the job?
7. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
8. Describe the reason for George Taylor's visit and the visit itself.
9. How does Maya feel about San Francisco as a community?
10. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)