|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
(a) how to con them
(b) to stay away from them
(c) how to join them
(d) how to spot them
2. What do the boys in the gang do for money?
(a) con people
(c) sweep out pool halls and mow lawns
(d) shine shoes
3. An adult Maya suggests that black people survive ___________________.
(a) by taking over the government
(b) in relationship to their dedicated poets
(c) by education
(d) by arming themselves
4. Where does Momma take Maya when she needs a dentist?
(a) no where
(b) Dr. Sarvey
(c) Dr. Lincoln
(d) to California
5. What does Bailey do in response to his mother's dislike of his lifestyle?
(a) goes back to school
(b) quits hanging with his friends
(c) slaps her
(d) moves out
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Momma make the white dentist do?
2. Why does Maya's mother wake her and Bailey at night?
3. How does Vivian teach the children about other cultures?
4. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
5. Why are Maya and Bailey being sent away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
2. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
3. What does Mr. Clidell teach Maya?
4. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
5. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
6. What happens between Dolores and Maya when Maya's father leaves her with Dolores?
7. Describe the reason for George Taylor's visit and the visit itself.
8. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
9. What does Maya's father do for a living and how does he obtain what is necessary for the job?
10. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)