|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of people does the street car company hire?
(a) high school graduates
(b) white people
(d) educated people
2. What does Dolores tell Maya's father about marriage?
(a) She will marry if Maya will come to the wedding.
(b) She wants to marry him but not his children.
(c) She does not believe in marriage.
(d) She does not want to marry.
3. Where does Maya spend summer vacation?
(a) with her father and his girlfriend
(b) in England on scholarship
(c) in Stamps
(d) she doesn't go anywhere
4. How does Maya feel about being pregnant?
(c) she loves it
(d) like the world is ending
5. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
(a) fear, babies and black men
(b) ignorance, greed and indifference
(c) lack of power, lack of money and self-hatred
(d) prejudice, white hate and a lack of power
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Maya and Bailey being sent away?
2. How does Maya prove she is not a lesbian?
3. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
4. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
5. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Lafayette Training School and its students.
2. How has Bailey changed in Maya's absence and what is Vivian's reaction to him?
3. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
4. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
5. Describe the living arrangements for Maya and her family after her mother marries Mr. Clidell .
6. Describe the reason for George Taylor's visit and the visit itself.
7. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
8. What do the children do when they move to San Francisco?
9. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
10. How does Maya feel about San Francisco as a community?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)