|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Maya's Japanese neighbors during the war?
(a) they disappear
(b) they are robbed
(d) they join the army
2. What happens after the baby is born?
(a) She goes to Stamps.
(b) She gets pregnant again.
(c) Maya is afraid to touch him.
(d) She wants another baby.
3. Why is Maya worried about seeing her mother again?
(a) She feels guilty about the rape.
(b) She thinks her mother loves Bailey better.
(c) She is afraid her mother has changed.
(d) She is afraid of her mother's boyfriend.
4. How does Vivian teach the children about other cultures?
(a) taking them to different parts of the city
(b) giving them books to read
(c) introducing them to people from other countries
(d) through food
5. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
(a) doctors and lawyers
(b) farmers, maids, handymen and carpenters
(d) business owners
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maya get to her new school in San Francisco?
2. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
3. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
4. How does Dolores feel about Maya?
5. How long does it take Maya to get a job with the street car company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
2. How does Maya imagine her grandmother will handle the dentist?
3. What happens to Maya when she starts school in San Francisco?
4. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
5. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
6. What does Maya do when she leaves her father's friend's house?
7. Where does Maya stay after leaving her father's friend's?
8. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
9. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
10. What does Mr. Clidell teach Maya?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)