|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
(a) with Momma wrecking his office
(b) with Momma convincing him to see Maya
(c) with Momma kicking him out of town
(d) with Momma hitting him over the head
2. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
(d) not interested in it
3. After Bailey gets to St. Louis how long do they stay waiting for their mother?
(a) six months
(b) two weeks
(c) four days
(d) a year
4. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
5. With whom does Maya have adult conversations?
(a) students in school
(b) her grandmother
(c) her stepfather
(d) college graduates that board with her mother
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maya's father take her on a trip?
2. What job does Vivian do for work?
3. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
4. How is racism practiced in San Francisco?
5. Who teaches Maya the rules of the junkyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's trip to Mexico with her father.
2. Describe Mrs. Taylor's funeral and Maya's reaction.
3. What does Maya's father do for a living and how does he obtain what is necessary for the job?
4. Describe the reason for George Taylor's visit and the visit itself.
5. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
6. Describe Maya's reaction to Edward Donleavy's speech about blacks.
7. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
8. How does her mother's house feel to Maya when she returns and does she think she is better off having gone to her father's?
9. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
10. Explain how blacks avoid lying, according to Maya.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)