|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
(a) His ex-wife is looking for him.
(b) The whites are looking for a black man.
(c) They are playing.
(d) They do not want Bailey to know where he is.
2. What day of the week is exciting and different to Maya?
3. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
(a) They are always cut.
(b) They think the scales are weighted.
(c) They work too hard.
(d) They need more jobs.
4. What in the movies reminds Bailey of his mother?
(a) watching the trains go west
(b) the actress, Kay Williams
(c) the city of San Fransico
(d) seeing St. Louis
5. What is one of Mrs. Cullinan's main problems?
(a) She is an alcoholic.
(b) She is black.
(c) She is uneducated.
(d) She is poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two things that interest the neighbors?
2. What does Uncle Willie do to punish mistakes in math that Maya makes?
3. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
4. Where do Bailey and Maya sit in church?
5. What does Mr. Freedman order Maya to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
2. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
3. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
4. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
5. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
6. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
7. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
8. What are black girls supposed to learn in Stamps and how do they learn it?
9. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
10. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)