|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maya keep quiet about Mr. Freedman's rape of her?
(a) She is afraid of the police.
(b) She is afraid he will kill Bailey.
(c) She is afraid of her mother.
(d) She is afraid he will kill the dog.
2. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
(a) that they live in Florida
(b) that they are rich
(c) that they dislike their children
(d) that they are alive
3. What does Maya decide to do after Mr. Freedman is stopped?
(a) become a prostitute
(b) never speak to anyone again
(c) run away
(d) go to college
4. How does Maya imagine herself when she is very young?
(a) as a white man
(b) as a woman wearing furs and diamonds
(c) as a super black model
(d) as a blonde with blue eyes
5. What does Maya say about her senses following her troubles with Mr. Freedman?
(a) They are very sensitive.
(b) Colors are muted and sounds are dull.
(c) They wax and wane.
(d) They are about the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
2. What does Maya admire about Bailey?
3. What happens to Mr. Freedman after court?
4. Where does Bailey build a hideaway?
5. Where do the children go when they leave Stamps?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maya feel about her grandmother's store?
2. What does Maya learn to understand, and later believe, about cotton pickers?
3. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
4. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
5. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
6. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
7. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
8. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
9. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
10. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)