|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
(a) to friends' or family homes for a visit
(b) to a revival
(c) to see fireworks
(d) to bed
2. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
(a) She is mean.
(b) She is the ideal human being.
(c) She is too nosy.
(d) She is too educated.
3. What makes Maya proud to be black for the first time?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Mrs. Flowers
(c) Graduating from school
(d) Her Momma's store
4. Who becomes Maya's first girlfriend?
(a) Louise Kendricks
(b) Ruth Potter
(c) Millie Hanks
(d) Susie Turner
5. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
(a) throws it away
(b) burns it
(c) tears it up
(d) presses it in a book
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
2. What does Bailey do when someone insults Maya?
3. What do Maya and her best friend call the language that they create?
4. What are girls in Stamps required to learn?
5. How does segregation affect the attitude of blacks towards whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
2. What does Maya's father do for a living and how does he obtain what is necessary for the job?
3. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
4. What happens when Momma and Maya arrive in St. Louis?
5. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
6. What happens between Dolores and Maya when Maya's father leaves her with Dolores?
7. What happens with Dolores when Maya and her father return from Mexico?
8. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
9. How does Maya feel about school when she returns and what does she do about it?
10. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)