|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the children hope for a bloody victory?
(a) The adults will give them candy.
(b) The adults will let them stay up late.
(c) It is nice to hear of a white man getting bloody.
(d) It will prove blacks are better than whites.
2. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
(a) throws it away
(b) burns it
(c) presses it in a book
(d) tears it up
3. What does Joyce do that confuses Bailey?
(a) tells him to open his pants
(b) tells him he needs to grow up
(c) tells him she is a lesbian
(d) tells him about sex
4. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
5. How do Maya and Bailey feel when they get Christmas presents from their parents?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do some people who live farther away stay at Momma's after the fight?
2. What does Maya hear all night when Uncle Willie is hiding?
3. What do Maya and her best friend call the language that they create?
4. How did Uncle Willie become handicapped?
5. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
2. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
3. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
4. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
5. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
6. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
7. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
8. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
9. What does Maya say about childhood questions?
10. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)