|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young Maya think about white people?
(a) They smell funny.
(b) They are dumb.
(c) They are ungodly.
(d) They cannot be human.
2. What day of the week is exciting and different to Maya?
3. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
(a) presses it in a book
(b) tears it up
(c) burns it
(d) throws it away
4. Who comes to Stamps to get the children?
(a) Aunt Hilda
(b) Vivian Johnson
(c) no one
(d) Bailey Johnson Senior
5. Why do Maya and Bailey dislike the Reverend Thomas?
(a) He preaches too long.
(b) He pinches them on the cheek.
(c) He smells funny.
(d) He never remembers their names.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
2. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
3. What are girls in Stamps required to learn?
4. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
5. Where, according to the author, can childhood questions be answered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
2. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
3. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
4. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
5. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
6. What are black girls supposed to learn in Stamps and how do they learn it?
7. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
8. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
9. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
10. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)