|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bailey get to Baton Rouge?
(a) drives Momma's car
(c) tales a bus
(d) hops a freight train
2. What does Maya decide to do after Mr. Freedman is stopped?
(a) become a prostitute
(b) go to college
(c) run away
(d) never speak to anyone again
3. How does Maya see living in St. Louis?
(a) as calm and peaceful
(b) as sad and lonely
(c) like being in a foreign country
(d) as exciting
4. What does Grandma Baxter do?
(a) She is a singer.
(b) She is a dancer.
(c) She is a school teacher.
(d) She is a precinct captain.
5. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the children hope for a bloody victory?
2. What does Joyce do that confuses Bailey?
3. What does Maya admire about Momma?
4. Where, according to the author, can childhood questions be answered?
5. Where does Maya say a person's values and opinions are formed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
2. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
3. How does Maya feel about her grandmother's store?
4. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
5. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
6. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
7. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
8. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
9. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
10. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)