|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Willie do to punish mistakes in math that Maya makes?
(a) does not give her dinner
(b) sprays her with cold water
(c) touches her fingers to the stove
(d) slaps her on the head
2. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
(a) the white
(b) it was a draw
(c) the black
(d) they didn't finish the fight
3. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
4. How does life for the blacks in Stamps change following the fight?
(a) It does not change at all.
(b) It gets much worse.
(c) It ends segregation.
(d) It gets better.
5. What does Bailey do for Joyce?
(a) teaches her about boys
(b) teaches her to write
(c) teaches her to read
(d) steals food for her
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Maya and Bailey after the incident with Mr. Freedman?
2. How does Bailey feel about the neighbors questions?
3. Where does Maya say a person's values and opinions are formed?
4. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
5. What makes Maya proud to be black for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
2. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
3. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
4. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
5. What does Maya learn to understand, and later believe, about cotton pickers?
6. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
7. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
8. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
9. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
10. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)