|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
(a) She hates the minister.
(b) She falls asleep in church.
(c) She wets herself.
(d) She is afraid of God.
2. What does Maya see between the preachers during the revival that she has never seen before?
3. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
(a) they didn't finish the fight
(b) the white
(c) the black
(d) it was a draw
4. What does Maya do with her panties after Mr. Freedman attacks her?
(a) burns them
(b) throws them away
(c) show them to her mother
(d) hides them
5. Where do Bailey and Maya sit in church?
(a) the front row
(b) in the choir loft
(c) with the other children
(d) in the back
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maya feel once she is back in Stamps?
2. What does Maya wish when she reads books about heroes?
3. Why do Maya and Bailey dislike the Reverend Thomas?
4. Who comes to Stamps to get the children?
5. What does Mrs. Flowers tell Maya about language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maya learn to understand, and later believe, about cotton pickers?
2. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
3. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
4. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
5. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
6. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
7. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
8. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
9. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
10. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)