|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya find interesting about poor people's attitude towards God?
(a) They are angry at God.
(b) They attribute their situation to God's will.
(c) They think God will save them.
(d) They praise God in spite of poverty.
2. How does Maya imagine herself when she is very young?
(a) as a woman wearing furs and diamonds
(b) as a super black model
(c) as a white man
(d) as a blonde with blue eyes
3. When Louis goes down temporarily how does it feel to the blacks?
(a) like their dreams were dead
(b) like segregation is never going to end
(c) like another whipping or lynching
(d) like slavery just got reenacted
4. Why do the blacks say it is fine for the whites to have money?
(a) God loves the black people.
(b) The rich are lonely.
(c) Blacks have more love.
(d) The rich will burn in hell.
5. What does Maya admire about Momma?
(a) her strength and power
(b) her wealth
(c) her beauty
(d) her intelligence
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Maya when she goes to work for Mrs. Cullinan?
2. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
3. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
4. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
5. What is the biggest gathering of the year in Stamps for black people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
2. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
3. What are black girls supposed to learn in Stamps and how do they learn it?
4. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
5. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
6. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
7. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
8. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
9. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
10. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)