|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya admire about Bailey?
(a) He beats up anyone who gives him a hard time.
(b) He is much taller than she.
(c) He can finish all his chores and homework and still read more.
(d) He knows how to steal from the white people.
2. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
(a) He gets drunk on alcohol.
(b) He is beaten by white boys.
(c) He gets lost in the city.
(d) He goes to a movie.
3. What does Maya tell Joyce?
(a) not to come to the store
(b) to go to church with them
(c) not to confuse her brother
(d) not to talk to her brother
4. How does Bailey get to Baton Rouge?
(a) tales a bus
(c) hops a freight train
(d) drives Momma's car
5. How many times has Momma been married?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
2. What does Maya think of her black skin?
3. Why do some people who live farther away stay at Momma's after the fight?
4. What in the movies reminds Bailey of his mother?
5. As a young child who is Maya's favorite author?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's perceptions and experience in her first year at George Washington High School.
2. How does Maya feel about her grandmother's store?
3. How does Maya imagine her grandmother will handle the dentist?
4. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
5. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
6. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
7. What are black girls supposed to learn in Stamps and how do they learn it?
8. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
9. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
10. What happens when Maya decides she wants to work on the street car?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)