|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Maya speak to finally after spending time with Mrs. Flowers?
(b) Uncle Willie
(c) her grandmother
(d) her father
2. What happens to Joyce?
(a) She runs away with a railroad porter.
(b) She runs away with a soldier.
(c) She runs away with a doctor.
(d) She dies.
3. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
(a) they didn't finish the fight
(b) it was a draw
(c) the black
(d) the white
4. What in the movies reminds Bailey of his mother?
(a) watching the trains go west
(b) seeing St. Louis
(c) the actress, Kay Williams
(d) the city of San Fransico
5. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
(a) The whites are looking for a black man.
(b) They do not want Bailey to know where he is.
(c) They are playing.
(d) His ex-wife is looking for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya hear all night when Uncle Willie is hiding?
2. How does Bailey get to Baton Rouge?
3. How old is Maya when she goes to work for Mrs. Cullinan?
4. How does segregation affect the attitude of blacks towards whites?
5. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens after Maya's mother finds her panties.
2. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
3. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
4. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
5. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
6. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
7. What does Maya learn to understand, and later believe, about cotton pickers?
8. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
9. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
10. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)