|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the children peanut patties?
(b) The owner of the candy store
(c) Mrs. Flowers
(d) Uncle Willie
2. What does Maya say about her senses following her troubles with Mr. Freedman?
(a) They are about the same.
(b) They wax and wane.
(c) They are very sensitive.
(d) Colors are muted and sounds are dull.
3. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
(a) The white people abuse black children.
(b) The blacks do not go in the white section of town.
(c) There are no white people in Stamps.
(d) Segregation is absolute.
4. As a young child who is Maya's favorite author?
5. Where do the children go when they leave Stamps?
(a) to their aunt's home
(b) to a foster home
(c) to their mother's home
(d) they never leave Stamps
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Maya proud to be black for the first time?
2. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
3. Where do Bailey and Maya sit in church?
4. What is the biggest gathering of the year in Stamps for black people?
5. How does Maya imagine herself when she is very young?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
2. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
3. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
4. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
5. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
6. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
7. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
8. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
9. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
10. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)