|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joyce do that confuses Bailey?
(a) tells him about sex
(b) tells him he needs to grow up
(c) tells him to open his pants
(d) tells him she is a lesbian
2. Where, according to the author, can childhood questions be answered?
(a) by reading about childhood
(b) in the town in which the child grew up
(c) by their mother
(d) by their parents
3. How does Maya get out of working for Mrs. Cullinan?
(a) She breaks a window.
(b) She steals her jewlery.
(c) She drops the good china.
(d) She leaves mud on the table.
4. What does Mrs. Flowers tell Maya about language?
(a) It is never clear what someone is saying.
(b) It is how man communicates.
(c) It does not matter how you talk.
(d) It is God's curse on humans.
5. What does Maya see between the preachers during the revival that she has never seen before?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the neighbors ask the children about?
2. What convinces Maya as she is leaving that Mrs. Cullinan now knows her name?
3. What does Bailey do when someone insults Maya?
4. How did Uncle Willie become handicapped?
5. Why do the blacks say it is fine for the whites to have money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
2. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
3. How does Maya feel about her grandmother's store?
4. What are black girls supposed to learn in Stamps and how do they learn it?
5. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
6. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
7. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
8. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
9. What does Maya say about childhood questions?
10. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)