|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maya give Bailey a dime?
(a) to buy a comic book
(b) to get her lipstick
(c) to go to the movies
(d) to get her candy
2. What does Maya find interesting about poor people's attitude towards God?
(a) They are angry at God.
(b) They attribute their situation to God's will.
(c) They think God will save them.
(d) They praise God in spite of poverty.
3. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
(a) it was a draw
(b) the white
(c) they didn't finish the fight
(d) the black
4. How does Maya punish herself when she does not measure flour correctly?
(a) by not reading that night
(b) by not eating sweets
(c) by cleaning the kitchen
(d) by not going to the movies
5. Who becomes Maya's first girlfriend?
(a) Millie Hanks
(b) Louise Kendricks
(c) Susie Turner
(d) Ruth Potter
Short Answer Questions
1. Where, according to the author, can childhood questions be answered?
2. What happens to Maya and Bailey after the incident with Mr. Freedman?
3. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
4. Who comes to Stamps to get the children?
5. Why do the blacks say it is fine for the whites to have money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maya feel about her grandmother's store?
2. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
3. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
4. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
5. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
6. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
7. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
8. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
9. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
10. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)