|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of men are Maya's uncles?
(a) mean and violent
(b) soft spoken and courteous
(c) educated and rich
(d) slow learners
2. What is one of Mrs. Cullinan's main problems?
(a) She is poor.
(b) She is an alcoholic.
(c) She is uneducated.
(d) She is black.
3. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
(a) that they dislike their children
(b) that they are alive
(c) that they live in Florida
(d) that they are rich
4. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
(a) Segregation is absolute.
(b) There are no white people in Stamps.
(c) The blacks do not go in the white section of town.
(d) The white people abuse black children.
5. What do the blacks ask in regard to the whites and judgment?
(a) Will rich blacks be included?
(b) Will the poor get to see the judgment?
(c) When is it going to happen?
(d) How bad is it going to be?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
2. How many times has Momma been married?
3. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
4. Who comes to Stamps to get the children?
5. How do Maya and Bailey feel when they get Christmas presents from their parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
2. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
3. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
4. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
5. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
6. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
7. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
8. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
9. As a child, how does Maya view herself physically?
10. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)