|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Stamps to get the children?
(a) Bailey Johnson Senior
(b) Vivian Johnson
(c) Aunt Hilda
(d) no one
2. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
(a) to a revival
(b) to see fireworks
(c) to bed
(d) to friends' or family homes for a visit
3. Where do the children go when they leave Stamps?
(a) to a foster home
(b) to their mother's home
(c) they never leave Stamps
(d) to their aunt's home
4. How does life for the blacks in Stamps change following the fight?
(a) It gets better.
(b) It does not change at all.
(c) It ends segregation.
(d) It gets much worse.
5. Where does Maya say a person's values and opinions are formed?
(a) on the job
(b) in school
(c) in church
(d) where the person grew up
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the biggest gathering of the year in Stamps for black people?
2. When Louis goes down temporarily how does it feel to the blacks?
3. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
4. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
5. Why do some people who live farther away stay at Momma's after the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
2. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
3. Describe what happens after Maya's mother finds her panties.
4. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
5. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
6. What does Maya say about childhood questions?
7. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
8. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
9. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
10. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)