|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
2. What does Maya tell Joyce?
(a) not to confuse her brother
(b) to go to church with them
(c) not to talk to her brother
(d) not to come to the store
3. What happens to Joyce?
(a) She runs away with a soldier.
(b) She runs away with a doctor.
(c) She dies.
(d) She runs away with a railroad porter.
4. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
(a) being made fun of
(b) his or her life
(c) having to go to jail
(d) sounding stupid
5. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
(a) She wets herself.
(b) She is afraid of God.
(c) She hates the minister.
(d) She falls asleep in church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bailey do when someone insults Maya?
2. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
3. Why do Maya and Bailey dislike the Reverend Thomas?
4. What does Uncle Willie do to punish mistakes in math that Maya makes?
5. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maya's thoughts as she watches the cotton pickers.
2. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
3. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
4. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
5. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
6. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
7. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
8. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
9. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
10. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)