|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Maya when she goes to work for Mrs. Cullinan?
2. Why does Maya give Bailey a dime?
(a) to get her lipstick
(b) to go to the movies
(c) to get her candy
(d) to buy a comic book
3. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
(a) burns it
(b) throws it away
(c) presses it in a book
(d) tears it up
4. What do the preachers talk about in relationship to God and whites?
(a) God is indifferent to them.
(b) God hates them.
(c) They are favored by God.
(d) They will receive punishment.
5. Where does Bailey build a hideaway?
(a) behind the store
(b) down by the creek
(c) at a friend's house
(d) in the woods
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandma Baxter do?
2. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
3. What do the blacks in Stamps think of Mrs. Flowers?
4. How do Maya and Bailey feel when they get Christmas presents from their parents?
5. Why does Maya say she is so advanced in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does her mother say and do about Maya's pregnancy?
2. What does Momma do when Maya has cavities that need the attention of a dentist?
3. Why does Maya think she might be a lesbian and what does she think a lesbian is?
4. How does Maya decide to see if she is a lesbian and what happens?
5. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
6. What happens with Dolores when Maya and her father return from Mexico?
7. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
8. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
9. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
10. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)