|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do some people who live farther away stay at Momma's after the fight?
(a) to make money on boarding them
(b) fear of repercussions from white men
(c) they were too tired to walk home
(d) to join a celebration
2. What do the blacks in Stamps think of Mrs. Flowers?
(a) She is too white.
(b) She is a loose woman.
(c) She is an Uncle Tom.
(d) She is the nobility.
3. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
(a) being made fun of
(b) his or her life
(c) sounding stupid
(d) having to go to jail
4. What does Bailey do for Joyce?
(a) teaches her about boys
(b) steals food for her
(c) teaches her to read
(d) teaches her to write
5. How old is Maya when she goes to work for Mrs. Cullinan?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Maya and Bailey dislike the Reverend Thomas?
2. What does Maya wish when she reads books about heroes?
3. Why do the children hope for a bloody victory?
4. How does Maya punish herself when she does not measure flour correctly?
5. How does Maya see living in St. Louis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens after Maya's mother finds her panties.
2. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
3. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
4. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
5. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
6. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
7. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
8. What does Maya say about Reverend Howard Thomas?
9. How does Maya see Mrs. Flowers and how does she feel about her?
10. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)