|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
(a) She hates the weather.
(b) She is frightened.
(c) She misses her friends.
(d) she misses her grandmother.
2. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
(a) to friends' or family homes for a visit
(b) to see fireworks
(c) to bed
(d) to a revival
3. How does Maya imagine herself when she is very young?
(a) as a super black model
(b) as a white man
(c) as a woman wearing furs and diamonds
(d) as a blonde with blue eyes
4. What kind of men are Maya's uncles?
(a) educated and rich
(b) soft spoken and courteous
(c) mean and violent
(d) slow learners
5. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
(a) throws it away
(b) burns it
(c) presses it in a book
(d) tears it up
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two things that interest the neighbors?
2. What does she learn from the prejudice the blacks face in Stamps?
3. What in the movies reminds Bailey of his mother?
4. When Louis goes down temporarily how does it feel to the blacks?
5. What does Bailey do for Joyce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens after Maya's mother finds her panties.
2. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
3. Describe how Uncle Willie feels about his handicap?
4. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
5. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
6. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
7. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
8. How do the black church goers feel about the whites?
9. What does Maya say she learns from her mother's family?
10. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)