|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes Maya's first girlfriend?
(a) Louise Kendricks
(b) Ruth Potter
(c) Millie Hanks
(d) Susie Turner
2. What happens to Joyce?
(a) She dies.
(b) She runs away with a soldier.
(c) She runs away with a railroad porter.
(d) She runs away with a doctor.
3. Who are the fighters that the blacks are listening to during a match broadcast on the radio?
(a) Robinson and Louis
(b) Carnera and Louis
(c) Carmicheal and Veal
(d) Ali and Fraiser
4. Who gives the children peanut patties?
(a) Mrs. Flowers
(c) Uncle Willie
(d) The owner of the candy store
5. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
(a) The whites are looking for a black man.
(b) His ex-wife is looking for him.
(c) They do not want Bailey to know where he is.
(d) They are playing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya admire about Momma?
2. How does Maya get out of working for Mrs. Cullinan?
3. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
4. Why does Maya give Bailey a dime?
5. What day of the week is exciting and different to Maya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
2. What does Mr. Freedman do to Maya?
3. What are black girls supposed to learn in Stamps and how do they learn it?
4. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
5. Describe the activities of the blacks' Summer Fish Fry.
6. How does Momma believe black people should live in order to be safe?
7. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
8. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
9. What does Maya say about childhood questions?
10. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)