|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Maya proud to be black for the first time?
(a) Graduating from school
(b) Mrs. Flowers
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Her Momma's store
2. What happens to Joyce?
(a) She dies.
(b) She runs away with a soldier.
(c) She runs away with a railroad porter.
(d) She runs away with a doctor.
3. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
(a) it was a draw
(b) the white
(c) they didn't finish the fight
(d) the black
4. What does Maya see between the preachers during the revival that she has never seen before?
5. What is Maya's mother by profession?
(a) a minister
(b) a librarian
(c) a teacher
(d) a nurse
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
2. What does Bailey do in his hideaway?
3. How does Bailey feel about the neighbors questions?
4. Where do Bailey and Maya sit in church?
5. What does Mrs. Flowers tell Maya about language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are black girls supposed to learn in Stamps and how do they learn it?
2. How does Bailey interact with people once they are back in Stamps?
3. Describe Maya's reaction to her first Valentine.
4. What does Maya learn to understand, and later believe, about cotton pickers?
5. Why do people stay at Momma's after the fight?
6. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
7. How does Maya interact with Mrs. Flowers?
8. Describe Bailey's hideaway and what he does there.
9. Why is Bailey late coming home in Chapter 17?
10. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)