|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
2. What does Uncle Willie do to punish mistakes in math that Maya makes?
(a) does not give her dinner
(b) touches her fingers to the stove
(c) sprays her with cold water
(d) slaps her on the head
3. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
(a) the white
(b) the black
(c) it was a draw
(d) they didn't finish the fight
4. What are girls in Stamps required to learn?
(a) childcare, sewing and driving
(b) dressmaking and baking
(c) embroidery, crochet and tatting
(d) cooking and cleaning
5. Who gives the children peanut patties?
(a) Mrs. Flowers
(b) The owner of the candy store
(c) Uncle Willie
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
2. Who is Reverend Howard Thomas?
3. Where, according to the author, can childhood questions be answered?
4. What is one of Mrs. Cullinan's main problems?
5. What does Maya wish when she reads books about heroes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the only two rules Momma has about children?
2. Why are people gathered at the store in Chapter 19 and why are the children excited?
3. Describe Mrs. Cullinan.
4. Who is Joyce and what happens to her?
5. What does Maya learn to understand, and later believe, about cotton pickers?
6. How do blacks in Stamps view white people and money?
7. How does Maya feel about coming back to Stamps and what does she learn from the blacks there?
8. Describe Maya's grandparents who live in the West.
9. What does the children's father do when he takes them from Stamps?
10. Why is Saturday important to Maya?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)