|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the pregnancy prove to Maya, in her mind?
(a) She is not a lesbian.
(b) She can have children.
(c) She likes boys.
(d) She is a woman.
2. What does Dolores call Vivian?
(a) a whore
(b) a creep
(c) a smart woman
(d) a two timer
3. Maya says has gained independence but lost what?
4. What job does Vivian do for work?
(b) social worker
(c) runs card games
5. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
(a) Six of One
(b) Dykes on Bikes
(c) The Well of Loneliness
(d) The Children's Hour
6. Maya think lesbians are the same as _________.
(c) tough girls
(d) single older women
7. How does Maya react to her fight with Dolores?
(a) She gets scared.
(b) She tells Vivian.
(c) She apologizes.
(d) She slaps her.
8. Where does Maya go when she runs from her father?
(a) She goes to Stamps.
(b) She goes back to her mother.
(c) She wanders the town.
(d) She goes to Florida.
9. How many black doctors and dentists does Stamps have?
10. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
(a) fear, babies and black men
(b) ignorance, greed and indifference
(c) prejudice, white hate and a lack of power
(d) lack of power, lack of money and self-hatred
11. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
(a) like royalty
(b) like laborers
(c) like college graduates
(d) no different than anyone else
12. Why is Maya uncomfortable about her new school in San Francisco?
(a) She travels through wealthy, white neighborhoods.
(b) She does not have the right clothes to wear.
(c) Most of the class is Chinese.
(d) She is not the smartest kid in school anymore.
13. What do the people at graduation sing after the valedictorian's speech?
(a) the Negro National Anthem
(b) Amazing Grace
(c) the national anthem
(d) It's a Hard, Hard World
14. What does Willie tell Bailey is the reason white people hate blacks so much?
(a) Whites have no souls.
(b) White people feel inferior to blacks.
(c) Whites are afraid of blacks.
(d) White people made black people slaves.
15. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
(a) basketball player
(b) owns apartment buildings and pool halls
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maya's father work?
2. Who, according to blacks, is successful in spite of the oppression of white people?
3. What is Maya's rank in her graduating class?
4. What does her mother say about Maya's pregnancy?
5. Why does George Taylor visit Momma?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)