|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
2. Why does Maya start cutting school?
(a) She does not have much in common with the girls at school.
(b) She hates reading.
(c) She does not like the principal.
(d) She thinks she has enough education.
3. What is Maya's rank in her graduating class?
(a) at the bottom
(b) in the middle
4. How does Maya prove she is not a lesbian?
(a) She has sex with a boy.
(b) She starts dating boys.
(c) She sees a psychologist.
(d) She reads more books.
5. Where does Maya's father take her after her fight with Dolores?
(a) to the bus station
(b) to church
(c) to the hospital
(d) to a friend's house
6. Why does Maya drive the car back to Calexico?
(a) she does not drive the car because she is too young.
(b) Her father is sick.
(c) Her father is drunk.
(d) Her father takes off for South America.
7. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
(a) They are not a threat.
(b) They are doing all the dirty work.
(c) The whites have the Japanese to harrass.
(d) There are too many blacks for the whites to control.
8. After Bailey gets to St. Louis how long do they stay waiting for their mother?
(a) a year
(b) four days
(c) two weeks
(d) six months
9. What does Bailey do in response to his mother's dislike of his lifestyle?
(a) slaps her
(b) quits hanging with his friends
(c) moves out
(d) goes back to school
10. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
(a) petting a cat to calm it
(b) drinking hot chocolate
(c) Jesus calming the sea
(d) soothing the forehead when sick
11. How does Dolores feel about Maya?
(a) She is jealous of her.
(b) She likes her.
(c) She wants to adopt her.
(d) She is afraid of her.
12. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
(a) They threaten Maya.
(b) They beat him.
(c) They make him carry the body of a black man.
(d) They threaten to lynch him.
13. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
(a) how to spot them
(b) how to con them
(c) to stay away from them
(d) how to join them
14. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
(a) Maya is acting up.
(b) Maya had a good time.
(c) Her father did not feed her well.
(d) Dolores is a bitch.
15. What do the boys in the gang do for money?
(b) con people
(c) shine shoes
(d) sweep out pool halls and mow lawns
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maya uncomfortable about her new school in San Francisco?
2. Who teaches Maya the rules of the junkyard?
3. What does Momma make the white dentist do?
4. How does Maya get to her new school in San Francisco?
5. Where do the black people who move into Maya's neighborhood during the war go to work?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)