|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
(a) like royalty
(b) no different than anyone else
(c) like college graduates
(d) like laborers
2. What do the boys in the gang do for money?
(a) con people
(b) shine shoes
(c) sweep out pool halls and mow lawns
3. How does Maya get to her new school in San Francisco?
(a) street car
4. Where does Maya go when she runs from her father?
(a) She goes back to her mother.
(b) She wanders the town.
(c) She goes to Florida.
(d) She goes to Stamps.
5. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
(a) They beat him.
(b) They threaten to lynch him.
(c) They threaten Maya.
(d) They make him carry the body of a black man.
6. How does Dolores feel about Maya?
(a) She wants to adopt her.
(b) She is jealous of her.
(c) She is afraid of her.
(d) She likes her.
7. What does the author say determines the ethics of the people?
(a) parents of children
(b) the education of citizens
(c) the needs of society
(d) teaching of the church
8. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
(a) with Momma hitting him over the head
(b) with Momma convincing him to see Maya
(c) with Momma kicking him out of town
(d) with Momma wrecking his office
9. What happens after the baby is born?
(a) Maya is afraid to touch him.
(b) She gets pregnant again.
(c) She wants another baby.
(d) She goes to Stamps.
10. Maya think lesbians are the same as _________.
(b) tough girls
(c) single older women
11. Where does Maya's father take her on a trip?
(d) Las Vegas
12. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
(a) drinking hot chocolate
(b) Jesus calming the sea
(c) petting a cat to calm it
(d) soothing the forehead when sick
13. Where does Vivian go when she leaves Maya and Momma in St. Louis?
(a) San Francisco
(b) New York
14. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
(a) The Well of Loneliness
(b) The Children's Hour
(c) Dykes on Bikes
(d) Six of One
15. What does Mrs. Taylor's funeral do to Maya?
(a) makes her happy
(b) helps her grow up
(c) makes the word "death" real
(d) makes her sad
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bailey and Maya have in common since her return from her father's?
2. What makes Maya's fear of death worse?
3. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
4. How does Maya see the city of San Francisco?
5. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)