|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Maya to get a job with the street car company?
(a) a month
(b) three weeks
(c) a year
(d) two days
2. Where do the black people who move into Maya's neighborhood during the war go to work?
(a) in the dance halls
(b) in the war factories
(c) on the docks
(d) in the motels
3. What does Maya's mother tell her when she is worried about raising a child?
(a) Being a parent is very difficult.
(b) She will be fine because it is natural.
(c) She should take a parenting class.
(d) She will help her.
4. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
(a) like royalty
(b) like college graduates
(c) like laborers
(d) no different than anyone else
5. After Bailey gets to St. Louis how long do they stay waiting for their mother?
(a) six months
(b) four days
(c) two weeks
(d) a year
6. How does Maya feel about being pregnant?
(c) like the world is ending
(d) she loves it
7. Where does Momma tell Maya and Bailey they will be going to live?
(a) in Florida
(b) with their mother
(c) with their aunt
(d) with their father
8. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
(a) They beat him.
(b) They threaten to lynch him.
(c) They threaten Maya.
(d) They make him carry the body of a black man.
9. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
(a) prejudice, white hate and a lack of power
(b) fear, babies and black men
(c) ignorance, greed and indifference
(d) lack of power, lack of money and self-hatred
10. Where does Maya's father take her after her fight with Dolores?
(a) to the bus station
(b) to church
(c) to a friend's house
(d) to the hospital
11. Why does George Taylor visit Momma?
(a) He is a friend of Uncle Willie's.
(b) He likes the children.
(c) He is lonely.
(d) He needs money.
12. Maya says has gained independence but lost what?
13. How does Maya see the city of San Francisco?
(a) stuck up
(b) friendly, but cool
14. How does Miss Kerwin treat her black and white students?
(a) she favors the blacks
(b) she favors the Chinese
(c) she favors the whites
15. Why is Maya uncomfortable about her new school in San Francisco?
(a) She is not the smartest kid in school anymore.
(b) She does not have the right clothes to wear.
(c) She travels through wealthy, white neighborhoods.
(d) Most of the class is Chinese.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Maya's mother make Maya take the baby?
2. Who does Vivian marry after Maya has gone to live with her?
3. Who, according to blacks, is successful in spite of the oppression of white people?
4. How does Vivian teach the children about other cultures?
5. How is racism practiced in San Francisco?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)