|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maya see the city of San Francisco?
(a) stuck up
(c) friendly, but cool
2. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
(a) They are doing all the dirty work.
(b) They are not a threat.
(c) The whites have the Japanese to harrass.
(d) There are too many blacks for the whites to control.
3. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
(a) a piece of jewlery
(b) her scarf
(c) her gift of books
(d) a satin cushion
4. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
(b) farmers, maids, handymen and carpenters
(c) doctors and lawyers
(d) business owners
5. What do Bailey and Maya have in common since her return from her father's?
(b) street slang
6. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
(a) Six of One
(b) Dykes on Bikes
(c) The Children's Hour
(d) The Well of Loneliness
7. What does Maya see as possible proof she is becoming a lesbian?
(a) A friend's breasts fascinate her.
(b) She has never had a boyfriend.
(c) She does not like boys kissing her.
(d) She likes staring at girls.
8. How does Maya react to her fight with Dolores?
(a) She slaps her.
(b) She gets scared.
(c) She tells Vivian.
(d) She apologizes.
9. Why do Momma and Maya go away before Bailey?
(a) Bailey has to finish school.
(b) They cannot afford three tickets.
(c) Momma is afraid for Maya.
(d) Bailey is the older of the two children.
10. Why can Maya not become a lesbian, according to her mother?
(a) She has seen Maya watching boys.
(b) Her mother has one son and one daughter.
(c) It is against the church.
(d) It does not run in the family.
11. Where does Maya transfer to school?
(a) Edgewater High
(b) George Washington High School
(c) San Franciso High
(d) Jefferson High School
12. Why does Maya drive the car back to Calexico?
(a) Her father is drunk.
(b) Her father takes off for South America.
(c) she does not drive the car because she is too young.
(d) Her father is sick.
13. An adult Maya suggests that black people survive ___________________.
(a) by arming themselves
(b) by taking over the government
(c) in relationship to their dedicated poets
(d) by education
14. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
(a) drinking hot chocolate
(b) soothing the forehead when sick
(c) petting a cat to calm it
(d) Jesus calming the sea
15. Who does Vivian marry after Maya has gone to live with her?
(a) Mr. William Hardy
(b) no one
(c) Mr. Clidell
(d) Malcom X
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of people does the street car company hire?
2. Maya says has gained independence but lost what?
3. Maya think lesbians are the same as _________.
4. Where does Maya's father work?
5. What does her mother tell Maya about cutting school?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)