|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far is Maya moved up when she starts school in San Francisco?
(a) one semester
(b) two years
(c) two semesters
(d) she is not moved up
2. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
3. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
(a) They threaten to lynch him.
(b) They make him carry the body of a black man.
(c) They beat him.
(d) They threaten Maya.
4. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
(a) her scarf
(b) a piece of jewlery
(c) a satin cushion
(d) her gift of books
5. Where does Maya sleep when she is on her own?
(a) in the library
(b) in an abandoned car
(c) at a hotel
(d) under a bridge
6. What does Maya think about her supervisors on the job?
(a) They are not prejudiced.
(b) They are discriminating against her.
(c) They are very competent.
(d) They like her.
7. Why does George Taylor visit Momma?
(a) He is a friend of Uncle Willie's.
(b) He is lonely.
(c) He needs money.
(d) He likes the children.
8. How does Miss Kerwin treat her black and white students?
(a) she favors the Chinese
(c) she favors the blacks
(d) she favors the whites
9. Where does Maya's father work?
(a) at a school
(b) he's a soldier
(c) at a naval hospital
(d) at the library
10. How many black doctors and dentists does Stamps have?
11. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
(a) to stay away from them
(b) how to con them
(c) how to join them
(d) how to spot them
12. What does Bailey do in response to his mother's dislike of his lifestyle?
(a) moves out
(b) quits hanging with his friends
(c) slaps her
(d) goes back to school
13. What does Mrs. Taylor's funeral do to Maya?
(a) helps her grow up
(b) makes her happy
(c) makes the word "death" real
(d) makes her sad
14. What does Dolores tell Maya's father about marriage?
(a) She wants to marry him but not his children.
(b) She does not believe in marriage.
(c) She does not want to marry.
(d) She will marry if Maya will come to the wedding.
15. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
(a) with Momma hitting him over the head
(b) with Momma convincing him to see Maya
(c) with Momma wrecking his office
(d) with Momma kicking him out of town
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Momma tell Maya and Bailey they will be going to live?
2. How does Maya get to her new school in San Francisco?
3. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
4. How does Maya prove she is not a lesbian?
5. Where does Vivian go when she leaves Maya and Momma in St. Louis?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)