|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maya feel about being pregnant?
(a) like the world is ending
(d) she loves it
2. Who does Vivian marry after Maya has gone to live with her?
(a) no one
(b) Mr. William Hardy
(c) Mr. Clidell
(d) Malcom X
3. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
(a) with Momma kicking him out of town
(b) with Momma convincing him to see Maya
(c) with Momma wrecking his office
(d) with Momma hitting him over the head
4. What does Maya think about her supervisors on the job?
(a) They are not prejudiced.
(b) They are very competent.
(c) They like her.
(d) They are discriminating against her.
5. What does Willie tell Bailey is the reason white people hate blacks so much?
(a) Whites have no souls.
(b) Whites are afraid of blacks.
(c) White people made black people slaves.
(d) White people feel inferior to blacks.
6. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
(c) basketball player
(d) owns apartment buildings and pool halls
7. How does Dolores feel about Maya?
(a) She is jealous of her.
(b) She wants to adopt her.
(c) She is afraid of her.
(d) She likes her.
8. What makes Maya's fear of death worse?
(a) the minister talking about death
(b) seeing the lynchings in Stamps
(c) when her dog dies
(d) thinking her mother was dead
9. What does Momma make the white dentist do?
(a) pay her the ten dollars that he owes her
(c) leave town
(d) see Maya
10. Who teaches Maya the rules of the junkyard?
(a) no one, she's not at a junkyard
(b) a girl named Sabina
(c) a boy named Bootsie
(d) a boy named James
11. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
(a) Jesus calming the sea
(b) petting a cat to calm it
(c) drinking hot chocolate
(d) soothing the forehead when sick
12. What does her mother tell Maya about cutting school?
(a) She is not supposed to cut classes.
(b) She can transfer to another school.
(c) If her work is caught up, she can skip.
(d) She can quit school if she wants.
13. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
(a) ignorance, greed and indifference
(b) fear, babies and black men
(c) lack of power, lack of money and self-hatred
(d) prejudice, white hate and a lack of power
14. How far is Maya moved up when she starts school in San Francisco?
(a) two semesters
(b) two years
(c) she is not moved up
(d) one semester
15. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
(a) Six of One
(b) The Well of Loneliness
(c) The Children's Hour
(d) Dykes on Bikes
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miss Kerwin treat her black and white students?
2. What do the boys in the gang do for money?
3. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
4. How does Maya see the city of San Francisco?
5. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)