|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dolores call Vivian?
(a) a creep
(b) a smart woman
(c) a two timer
(d) a whore
2. Who teaches Maya the rules of the junkyard?
(a) no one, she's not at a junkyard
(b) a girl named Sabina
(c) a boy named James
(d) a boy named Bootsie
3. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
(a) with Momma hitting him over the head
(b) with Momma wrecking his office
(c) with Momma kicking him out of town
(d) with Momma convincing him to see Maya
4. What do the boys in the gang do for money?
(a) sweep out pool halls and mow lawns
(c) con people
(d) shine shoes
5. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
(a) Six of One
(b) Dykes on Bikes
(c) The Well of Loneliness
(d) The Children's Hour
6. How do Momma and Willie see Momma's confrontation with the dentist?
(a) as a failure
(b) as a step backwards
(c) as par for the course
(d) as a victory
7. What is Maya's rank in her graduating class?
(a) at the bottom
(c) in the middle
8. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
9. Why is Maya afraid to go home to her mother's?
(a) Her mother will kill her father.
(b) Her mother will see her injury.
(c) Her mother will ground her.
(d) Her mother will blame her.
10. Why does Maya start cutting school?
(a) She thinks she has enough education.
(b) She hates reading.
(c) She does not have much in common with the girls at school.
(d) She does not like the principal.
11. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
(d) not interested in it
12. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
(a) business owners
(b) doctors and lawyers
(c) farmers, maids, handymen and carpenters
13. What kind of people does the street car company hire?
(a) white people
(c) educated people
(d) high school graduates
14. What does her mother say about Maya's pregnancy?
(a) that she has to go live in Stamps
(b) asks if she wants to marry the boy
(c) that those things happen
(d) that Maya is a whore
15. What does Maya's mother tell her when she is worried about raising a child?
(a) She will be fine because it is natural.
(b) She should take a parenting class.
(c) She will help her.
(d) Being a parent is very difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maya uncomfortable about her new school in San Francisco?
2. How does Miss Kerwin treat her black and white students?
3. Where does Maya's father work?
4. How does Maya feel about the threat of bombings during the war?
5. What job does Vivian do for work?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)