|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Maya's father work?
(a) he's a soldier
(b) at a naval hospital
(c) at the library
(d) at a school
2. How do Momma and Willie see Momma's confrontation with the dentist?
(a) as a victory
(b) as a failure
(c) as par for the course
(d) as a step backwards
3. Why is Maya worried about seeing her mother again?
(a) She feels guilty about the rape.
(b) She thinks her mother loves Bailey better.
(c) She is afraid of her mother's boyfriend.
(d) She is afraid her mother has changed.
4. How far is Maya moved up when she starts school in San Francisco?
(a) she is not moved up
(b) two years
(c) two semesters
(d) one semester
5. What does Dolores call Vivian?
(a) a smart woman
(b) a creep
(c) a two timer
(d) a whore
6. Why can Maya not become a lesbian, according to her mother?
(a) It is against the church.
(b) Her mother has one son and one daughter.
(c) It does not run in the family.
(d) She has seen Maya watching boys.
7. How does Maya feel about communication with the dead?
8. What does Maya think about her supervisors on the job?
(a) They are not prejudiced.
(b) They are discriminating against her.
(c) They like her.
(d) They are very competent.
9. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
(a) Jesus calming the sea
(b) drinking hot chocolate
(c) petting a cat to calm it
(d) soothing the forehead when sick
10. What happens after the baby is born?
(a) Maya is afraid to touch him.
(b) She goes to Stamps.
(c) She gets pregnant again.
(d) She wants another baby.
11. Where does Vivian go when she leaves Maya and Momma in St. Louis?
(b) San Francisco
(c) New York
12. What does Mrs. Taylor's funeral do to Maya?
(a) makes her sad
(b) makes the word "death" real
(c) helps her grow up
(d) makes her happy
13. Who teaches Maya the rules of the junkyard?
(a) no one, she's not at a junkyard
(b) a girl named Sabina
(c) a boy named James
(d) a boy named Bootsie
14. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
(a) basketball player
(b) owns apartment buildings and pool halls
15. Maya says has gained independence but lost what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
2. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
3. Where does Momma take Maya when she needs a dentist?
4. How does Maya react to her fight with Dolores?
5. With whom does Maya have adult conversations?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)