|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
(a) She helped him when he was broke.
(b) God will strike him dead.
(c) His wife will be ashamed of him.
(d) It is against the law.
2. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
(b) basketball player
(d) owns apartment buildings and pool halls
3. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
(a) like college graduates
(b) no different than anyone else
(c) like laborers
(d) like royalty
4. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
(a) with Momma convincing him to see Maya
(b) with Momma wrecking his office
(c) with Momma hitting him over the head
(d) with Momma kicking him out of town
5. How far is Maya moved up when she starts school in San Francisco?
(a) two years
(b) she is not moved up
(c) two semesters
(d) one semester
6. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
(a) Her father did not feed her well.
(b) Maya is acting up.
(c) Dolores is a bitch.
(d) Maya had a good time.
7. What does Dolores tell Maya's father about marriage?
(a) She wants to marry him but not his children.
(b) She will marry if Maya will come to the wedding.
(c) She does not believe in marriage.
(d) She does not want to marry.
8. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
(a) They are doing all the dirty work.
(b) There are too many blacks for the whites to control.
(c) They are not a threat.
(d) The whites have the Japanese to harrass.
9. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
(a) Six of One
(b) The Well of Loneliness
(c) The Children's Hour
(d) Dykes on Bikes
10. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
(a) Maya is wearing his jacket.
(b) They are late.
(c) He forgot some ingredients.
(d) He has cheated on her.
11. Where do the black people who move into Maya's neighborhood during the war go to work?
(a) on the docks
(b) in the war factories
(c) in the dance halls
(d) in the motels
12. How does Dolores feel about Maya?
(a) She is jealous of her.
(b) She is afraid of her.
(c) She wants to adopt her.
(d) She likes her.
13. Maya think lesbians are the same as _________.
(b) single older women
(c) tough girls
14. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
(b) not interested in it
15. How does Maya prove she is not a lesbian?
(a) She sees a psychologist.
(b) She has sex with a boy.
(c) She reads more books.
(d) She starts dating boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Taylor say about his dead wife and children?
2. What does Momma make the white dentist do?
3. Where does Momma tell Maya and Bailey they will be going to live?
4. Why does Maya drive the car back to Calexico?
5. What does the author say determines the ethics of the people?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)