|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie tell Bailey is the reason white people hate blacks so much?
(a) White people feel inferior to blacks.
(b) Whites are afraid of blacks.
(c) Whites have no souls.
(d) White people made black people slaves.
2. What does her mother tell Maya about cutting school?
(a) She can transfer to another school.
(b) If her work is caught up, she can skip.
(c) She can quit school if she wants.
(d) She is not supposed to cut classes.
3. Why can Maya not become a lesbian, according to her mother?
(a) It does not run in the family.
(b) She has seen Maya watching boys.
(c) Her mother has one son and one daughter.
(d) It is against the church.
4. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
(a) They are late.
(b) He forgot some ingredients.
(c) Maya is wearing his jacket.
(d) He has cheated on her.
5. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
(a) doctors and lawyers
(b) farmers, maids, handymen and carpenters
(c) business owners
6. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
(a) There are a lot of cute boys.
(b) The school sits next to the subway.
(c) The school is filled with troubled girls.
(d) The school is mostly Chinese.
7. What does Maya tell her father about Dolores?
(a) She is pretty.
(b) She is very nice.
(c) She is awful.
(d) She is pretentious.
8. What happens after the baby is born?
(a) She wants another baby.
(b) She gets pregnant again.
(c) Maya is afraid to touch him.
(d) She goes to Stamps.
9. Why does Maya's mother wake her and Bailey at night?
(a) for biscuits and chocolate milk
(b) to move them out of her room
(c) to drill them about their school work
(d) because she's drunk
10. What does Maya think about her supervisors on the job?
(a) They are very competent.
(b) They are discriminating against her.
(c) They are not prejudiced.
(d) They like her.
11. What does Momma give Maya for graduation?
(a) a used car
(b) a new dress
(c) a Mickey Mouse watch
(d) a business suit
12. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
(a) Six of One
(b) The Well of Loneliness
(c) The Children's Hour
(d) Dykes on Bikes
13. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
(a) a satin cushion
(b) her gift of books
(c) her scarf
(d) a piece of jewlery
14. How does Maya see the city of San Francisco?
(a) friendly, but cool
(b) stuck up
15. Why are Maya and Bailey being sent away?
(a) Their father wants them.
(b) Momma is too old.
(c) Stamps is too segregated.
(d) Momma does not want them anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
2. How does Maya feel about communication with the dead?
3. Where does Maya's father take her after her fight with Dolores?
4. Why does Maya drive the car back to Calexico?
5. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)