|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who teaches Maya the rules of the junkyard?
(a) a girl named Sabina
(b) a boy named Bootsie
(c) no one, she's not at a junkyard
(d) a boy named James
2. How does Vivian teach the children about other cultures?
(a) giving them books to read
(b) through food
(c) introducing them to people from other countries
(d) taking them to different parts of the city
3. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
(a) The school sits next to the subway.
(b) The school is mostly Chinese.
(c) The school is filled with troubled girls.
(d) There are a lot of cute boys.
4. What does Momma give Maya for graduation?
(a) a new dress
(b) a used car
(c) a Mickey Mouse watch
(d) a business suit
5. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
(a) with Momma hitting him over the head
(b) with Momma convincing him to see Maya
(c) with Momma wrecking his office
(d) with Momma kicking him out of town
6. Why does Maya start cutting school?
(a) She hates reading.
(b) She does not have much in common with the girls at school.
(c) She does not like the principal.
(d) She thinks she has enough education.
7. What does Bailey do in response to his mother's dislike of his lifestyle?
(a) moves out
(b) slaps her
(c) goes back to school
(d) quits hanging with his friends
8. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
(a) drinking hot chocolate
(b) Jesus calming the sea
(c) petting a cat to calm it
(d) soothing the forehead when sick
9. Where does Maya's father take her after her fight with Dolores?
(a) to a friend's house
(b) to the bus station
(c) to church
(d) to the hospital
10. An adult Maya suggests that black people survive ___________________.
(a) by education
(b) in relationship to their dedicated poets
(c) by arming themselves
(d) by taking over the government
11. How does Dolores feel about Maya?
(a) She likes her.
(b) She wants to adopt her.
(c) She is afraid of her.
(d) She is jealous of her.
12. What does Mr. Taylor say about his dead wife and children?
(a) They did not need children.
(b) They should have adopted children.
(c) She talked to him last night.
(d) They were not able to have children.
13. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
(a) The whites have the Japanese to harrass.
(b) They are not a threat.
(c) They are doing all the dirty work.
(d) There are too many blacks for the whites to control.
14. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
(a) not interested in it
15. What does Dolores call Vivian?
(a) a whore
(b) a two timer
(c) a creep
(d) a smart woman
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bailey changing in San Francisco?
2. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
3. Where does Momma take Maya when she needs a dentist?
4. What is Maya's rank in her graduating class?
5. What does the pregnancy prove to Maya, in her mind?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)