|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya tell her father about Dolores?
(a) She is pretty.
(b) She is awful.
(c) She is pretentious.
(d) She is very nice.
2. How does Maya react to her fight with Dolores?
(a) She apologizes.
(b) She gets scared.
(c) She slaps her.
(d) She tells Vivian.
3. What does Maya's mother tell her when she is worried about raising a child?
(a) She will be fine because it is natural.
(b) She will help her.
(c) She should take a parenting class.
(d) Being a parent is very difficult.
4. How do Momma and Willie see Momma's confrontation with the dentist?
(a) as a step backwards
(b) as a victory
(c) as par for the course
(d) as a failure
5. What does the author say determines the ethics of the people?
(a) the needs of society
(b) the education of citizens
(c) parents of children
(d) teaching of the church
6. What does the pregnancy prove to Maya, in her mind?
(a) She can have children.
(b) She is not a lesbian.
(c) She likes boys.
(d) She is a woman.
7. How does Dolores feel about Maya?
(a) She is afraid of her.
(b) She likes her.
(c) She wants to adopt her.
(d) She is jealous of her.
8. What kind of people does the street car company hire?
(a) educated people
(b) high school graduates
(c) white people
9. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
(a) like laborers
(b) like royalty
(c) no different than anyone else
(d) like college graduates
10. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
(a) Her father did not feed her well.
(b) Maya is acting up.
(c) Maya had a good time.
(d) Dolores is a bitch.
11. What does her mother say about Maya's pregnancy?
(a) that those things happen
(b) that she has to go live in Stamps
(c) asks if she wants to marry the boy
(d) that Maya is a whore
12. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
(a) soothing the forehead when sick
(b) petting a cat to calm it
(c) Jesus calming the sea
(d) drinking hot chocolate
13. What does Mrs. Taylor's funeral do to Maya?
(a) helps her grow up
(b) makes her sad
(c) makes the word "death" real
(d) makes her happy
14. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
15. What happens after the baby is born?
(a) She gets pregnant again.
(b) She goes to Stamps.
(c) Maya is afraid to touch him.
(d) She wants another baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maya prove she is not a lesbian?
2. Where does Maya spend summer vacation?
3. What does Dolores tell Maya's father about marriage?
4. Why does George Taylor visit Momma?
5. Maya think lesbians are the same as _________.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)