|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
(a) She helped him when he was broke.
(b) His wife will be ashamed of him.
(c) God will strike him dead.
(d) It is against the law.
2. Why do Momma and Maya go away before Bailey?
(a) They cannot afford three tickets.
(b) Momma is afraid for Maya.
(c) Bailey is the older of the two children.
(d) Bailey has to finish school.
3. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
(a) farmers, maids, handymen and carpenters
(c) doctors and lawyers
(d) business owners
4. Where does Momma take Maya when she needs a dentist?
(a) to California
(b) Dr. Sarvey
(c) Dr. Lincoln
(d) no where
5. Who does Vivian marry after Maya has gone to live with her?
(a) Mr. Clidell
(b) Mr. William Hardy
(c) no one
(d) Malcom X
6. Where does Momma tell Maya and Bailey they will be going to live?
(a) with their aunt
(b) with their mother
(c) with their father
(d) in Florida
7. Why is Maya afraid to go home to her mother's?
(a) Her mother will blame her.
(b) Her mother will kill her father.
(c) Her mother will see her injury.
(d) Her mother will ground her.
8. What does Momma give Maya for graduation?
(a) a new dress
(b) a business suit
(c) a used car
(d) a Mickey Mouse watch
9. How does Maya feel about communication with the dead?
10. What does Maya think about her supervisors on the job?
(a) They like her.
(b) They are not prejudiced.
(c) They are discriminating against her.
(d) They are very competent.
11. Why are Maya and Bailey being sent away?
(a) Stamps is too segregated.
(b) Momma does not want them anymore.
(c) Their father wants them.
(d) Momma is too old.
12. How far is Maya moved up when she starts school in San Francisco?
(a) two semesters
(b) one semester
(c) two years
(d) she is not moved up
13. Where does Maya transfer to school?
(a) Jefferson High School
(b) Edgewater High
(c) George Washington High School
(d) San Franciso High
14. How does Maya's mother's home seem to her after returning from her father's?
(b) smaller and quieter
(c) noisy and confusing
15. How does Vivian teach the children about other cultures?
(a) introducing them to people from other countries
(b) through food
(c) giving them books to read
(d) taking them to different parts of the city
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
2. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
3. How does Miss Kerwin treat her black and white students?
4. How does Dolores feel about Maya?
5. What does Willie tell Bailey is the reason white people hate blacks so much?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)