|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
(a) like college graduates
(b) like laborers
(c) no different than anyone else
(d) like royalty
2. How does Maya see the city of San Francisco?
(a) friendly, but cool
(b) stuck up
3. What does Maya see as possible proof she is becoming a lesbian?
(a) A friend's breasts fascinate her.
(b) She likes staring at girls.
(c) She does not like boys kissing her.
(d) She has never had a boyfriend.
4. Why does Maya's mother wake her and Bailey at night?
(a) to drill them about their school work
(b) for biscuits and chocolate milk
(c) to move them out of her room
(d) because she's drunk
5. An adult Maya suggests that black people survive ___________________.
(a) by arming themselves
(b) by education
(c) in relationship to their dedicated poets
(d) by taking over the government
6. How does Miss Kerwin treat her black and white students?
(b) she favors the whites
(c) she favors the Chinese
(d) she favors the blacks
7. How many black doctors and dentists does Stamps have?
8. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
(a) with Momma hitting him over the head
(b) with Momma convincing him to see Maya
(c) with Momma wrecking his office
(d) with Momma kicking him out of town
9. What makes Maya's fear of death worse?
(a) when her dog dies
(b) thinking her mother was dead
(c) the minister talking about death
(d) seeing the lynchings in Stamps
10. How is Bailey changing in San Francisco?
(a) He is more studious.
(b) He is quieter.
(c) He is more timid.
(d) He is becoming more street smart.
11. Where does Maya transfer to school?
(a) San Franciso High
(b) George Washington High School
(c) Jefferson High School
(d) Edgewater High
12. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
(a) They are not a threat.
(b) The whites have the Japanese to harrass.
(c) They are doing all the dirty work.
(d) There are too many blacks for the whites to control.
13. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
(a) doctors and lawyers
(b) business owners
(c) farmers, maids, handymen and carpenters
14. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
(b) not interested in it
15. When does Maya's mother make Maya take the baby?
(a) in a year
(b) three weeks after he is born
(c) right away
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
2. What happens after the baby is born?
3. Why does George Taylor visit Momma?
4. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
5. What does her mother tell Maya about cutting school?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)