|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya think about her supervisors on the job?
(a) They are discriminating against her.
(b) They like her.
(c) They are not prejudiced.
(d) They are very competent.
2. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
(a) God will strike him dead.
(b) It is against the law.
(c) She helped him when he was broke.
(d) His wife will be ashamed of him.
3. Why are Maya and Bailey being sent away?
(a) Momma does not want them anymore.
(b) Stamps is too segregated.
(c) Their father wants them.
(d) Momma is too old.
4. Why is Maya worried about seeing her mother again?
(a) She feels guilty about the rape.
(b) She is afraid of her mother's boyfriend.
(c) She thinks her mother loves Bailey better.
(d) She is afraid her mother has changed.
5. What happens after the baby is born?
(a) She gets pregnant again.
(b) She goes to Stamps.
(c) Maya is afraid to touch him.
(d) She wants another baby.
6. Where does Maya's father take her on a trip?
(d) Las Vegas
7. What does her mother tell Maya about cutting school?
(a) She can quit school if she wants.
(b) If her work is caught up, she can skip.
(c) She is not supposed to cut classes.
(d) She can transfer to another school.
8. How does Maya get to her new school in San Francisco?
(d) street car
9. What does her mother say about Maya's pregnancy?
(a) asks if she wants to marry the boy
(b) that Maya is a whore
(c) that those things happen
(d) that she has to go live in Stamps
10. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
(a) to stay away from them
(b) how to spot them
(c) how to join them
(d) how to con them
11. What does Momma make the white dentist do?
(a) leave town
(c) pay her the ten dollars that he owes her
(d) see Maya
12. Who teaches Maya the rules of the junkyard?
(a) a boy named James
(b) no one, she's not at a junkyard
(c) a girl named Sabina
(d) a boy named Bootsie
13. How does Maya prove she is not a lesbian?
(a) She sees a psychologist.
(b) She starts dating boys.
(c) She has sex with a boy.
(d) She reads more books.
14. What does Mr. Taylor say about his dead wife and children?
(a) They did not need children.
(b) She talked to him last night.
(c) They should have adopted children.
(d) They were not able to have children.
15. What happens to Maya's Japanese neighbors during the war?
(a) they are robbed
(b) they disappear
(d) they join the army
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Momma give Maya for graduation?
2. With whom does Maya have adult conversations?
3. After Bailey gets to St. Louis how long do they stay waiting for their mother?
4. Why do Momma and Maya go away before Bailey?
5. An adult Maya suggests that black people survive ___________________.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)