|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
(a) The whites have the Japanese to harrass.
(b) They are not a threat.
(c) There are too many blacks for the whites to control.
(d) They are doing all the dirty work.
2. What does the author say determines the ethics of the people?
(a) the education of citizens
(b) teaching of the church
(c) parents of children
(d) the needs of society
3. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
(a) The Children's Hour
(b) Six of One
(c) Dykes on Bikes
(d) The Well of Loneliness
4. What does her mother say about Maya's pregnancy?
(a) that those things happen
(b) asks if she wants to marry the boy
(c) that she has to go live in Stamps
(d) that Maya is a whore
5. How does Maya feel about being pregnant?
(b) she loves it
(c) like the world is ending
6. Where do the black people who move into Maya's neighborhood during the war go to work?
(a) in the dance halls
(b) in the motels
(c) in the war factories
(d) on the docks
7. How does Maya prove she is not a lesbian?
(a) She reads more books.
(b) She starts dating boys.
(c) She has sex with a boy.
(d) She sees a psychologist.
8. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
(a) drinking hot chocolate
(b) soothing the forehead when sick
(c) petting a cat to calm it
(d) Jesus calming the sea
9. Where does Maya's father take her on a trip?
(a) Las Vegas
10. When does Maya's mother make Maya take the baby?
(a) three weeks after he is born
(b) right away
(c) in a year
11. How is racism practiced in San Francisco?
(a) there is none
12. What does the pregnancy prove to Maya, in her mind?
(a) She is not a lesbian.
(b) She likes boys.
(c) She can have children.
(d) She is a woman.
13. What does her mother tell Maya about cutting school?
(a) If her work is caught up, she can skip.
(b) She is not supposed to cut classes.
(c) She can transfer to another school.
(d) She can quit school if she wants.
14. Why is Maya worried about seeing her mother again?
(a) She is afraid her mother has changed.
(b) She feels guilty about the rape.
(c) She is afraid of her mother's boyfriend.
(d) She thinks her mother loves Bailey better.
15. Why is Maya uncomfortable about her new school in San Francisco?
(a) Most of the class is Chinese.
(b) She travels through wealthy, white neighborhoods.
(c) She is not the smartest kid in school anymore.
(d) She does not have the right clothes to wear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
2. Why does George Taylor visit Momma?
3. How do Momma and Willie see Momma's confrontation with the dentist?
4. With whom does Maya have adult conversations?
5. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)