|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the black people who move into Maya's neighborhood during the war go to work?
(a) in the war factories
(b) on the docks
(c) in the dance halls
(d) in the motels
2. Why does Maya drive the car back to Calexico?
(a) she does not drive the car because she is too young.
(b) Her father takes off for South America.
(c) Her father is drunk.
(d) Her father is sick.
3. Why does George Taylor visit Momma?
(a) He is a friend of Uncle Willie's.
(b) He needs money.
(c) He likes the children.
(d) He is lonely.
4. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
(a) The Well of Loneliness
(b) The Children's Hour
(c) Six of One
(d) Dykes on Bikes
5. How does Vivian teach the children about other cultures?
(a) taking them to different parts of the city
(b) giving them books to read
(c) introducing them to people from other countries
(d) through food
6. Where does Maya's father take her on a trip?
(d) Las Vegas
7. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
8. An adult Maya suggests that black people survive ___________________.
(a) in relationship to their dedicated poets
(b) by taking over the government
(c) by education
(d) by arming themselves
9. How does Maya feel about being pregnant?
(a) like the world is ending
(b) she loves it
10. Why are Maya and Bailey being sent away?
(a) Stamps is too segregated.
(b) Momma is too old.
(c) Their father wants them.
(d) Momma does not want them anymore.
11. How far is Maya moved up when she starts school in San Francisco?
(a) one semester
(b) she is not moved up
(c) two semesters
(d) two years
12. Where does Maya transfer to school?
(a) Jefferson High School
(b) Edgewater High
(c) George Washington High School
(d) San Franciso High
13. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
(a) His wife will be ashamed of him.
(b) It is against the law.
(c) She helped him when he was broke.
(d) God will strike him dead.
14. Where does Maya's father work?
(a) at a school
(b) at a naval hospital
(c) at the library
(d) he's a soldier
15. What makes Maya's fear of death worse?
(a) the minister talking about death
(b) seeing the lynchings in Stamps
(c) thinking her mother was dead
(d) when her dog dies
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Maya's mother make Maya take the baby?
2. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
3. What job does Vivian do for work?
4. What does Mrs. Taylor's funeral do to Maya?
5. How is Bailey changing in San Francisco?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)