|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Vivian do for work?
(a) social worker
(d) runs card games
2. What happens to Maya's Japanese neighbors during the war?
(a) they are robbed
(b) they join the army
(c) they disappear
3. What does Maya tell her father about Dolores?
(a) She is very nice.
(b) She is pretty.
(c) She is awful.
(d) She is pretentious.
4. Why does Maya's mother wake her and Bailey at night?
(a) to drill them about their school work
(b) because she's drunk
(c) to move them out of her room
(d) for biscuits and chocolate milk
5. Why do Momma and Maya go away before Bailey?
(a) Momma is afraid for Maya.
(b) Bailey is the older of the two children.
(c) They cannot afford three tickets.
(d) Bailey has to finish school.
6. Maya says has gained independence but lost what?
7. Where does Maya's father take her after her fight with Dolores?
(a) to the bus station
(b) to a friend's house
(c) to church
(d) to the hospital
8. What does the pregnancy prove to Maya, in her mind?
(a) She likes boys.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She can have children.
(d) She is not a lesbian.
9. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
(a) He forgot some ingredients.
(b) They are late.
(c) He has cheated on her.
(d) Maya is wearing his jacket.
10. Why does Maya start cutting school?
(a) She thinks she has enough education.
(b) She does not like the principal.
(c) She hates reading.
(d) She does not have much in common with the girls at school.
11. What does Vivian think when Maya returns home?
(a) Maya had a good time.
(b) Maya is acting up.
(c) Her father did not feed her well.
(d) Dolores is a bitch.
12. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
(a) His wife will be ashamed of him.
(b) It is against the law.
(c) God will strike him dead.
(d) She helped him when he was broke.
13. With whom does Maya have adult conversations?
(a) her grandmother
(b) students in school
(c) college graduates that board with her mother
(d) her stepfather
14. How does Maya feel about communication with the dead?
15. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
(a) fear, babies and black men
(b) lack of power, lack of money and self-hatred
(c) ignorance, greed and indifference
(d) prejudice, white hate and a lack of power
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maya see the city of San Francisco?
2. Where does Maya sleep when she is on her own?
3. What does Willie tell Bailey is the reason white people hate blacks so much?
4. How far is Maya moved up when she starts school in San Francisco?
5. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)