|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
(a) to stay away from them
(b) how to join them
(c) how to spot them
(d) how to con them
2. How does Maya prove she is not a lesbian?
(a) She sees a psychologist.
(b) She reads more books.
(c) She has sex with a boy.
(d) She starts dating boys.
3. What does the author say determines the ethics of the people?
(a) teaching of the church
(b) the education of citizens
(c) parents of children
(d) the needs of society
4. Why can Maya not become a lesbian, according to her mother?
(a) She has seen Maya watching boys.
(b) Her mother has one son and one daughter.
(c) It does not run in the family.
(d) It is against the church.
5. Where does Maya spend summer vacation?
(a) in Stamps
(b) with her father and his girlfriend
(c) in England on scholarship
(d) she doesn't go anywhere
6. How does Maya feel about communication with the dead?
7. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
(a) The school is mostly Chinese.
(b) There are a lot of cute boys.
(c) The school sits next to the subway.
(d) The school is filled with troubled girls.
8. How does Maya feel about being pregnant?
(b) like the world is ending
(c) she loves it
9. What job does Vivian do for work?
(b) runs card games
(c) social worker
10. Why does Maya drive the car back to Calexico?
(a) Her father is drunk.
(b) Her father is sick.
(c) she does not drive the car because she is too young.
(d) Her father takes off for South America.
11. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
12. What does Bailey do in response to his mother's dislike of his lifestyle?
(a) slaps her
(b) quits hanging with his friends
(c) goes back to school
(d) moves out
13. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
(a) It is against the law.
(b) God will strike him dead.
(c) She helped him when he was broke.
(d) His wife will be ashamed of him.
14. How is Bailey changing in San Francisco?
(a) He is becoming more street smart.
(b) He is more studious.
(c) He is more timid.
(d) He is quieter.
15. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
(a) They are not a threat.
(b) There are too many blacks for the whites to control.
(c) The whites have the Japanese to harrass.
(d) They are doing all the dirty work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maya afraid to go home to her mother's?
2. How does Maya feel about the threat of bombings during the war?
3. Why is Maya worried about seeing her mother again?
4. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
5. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)