|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Momma and Willie see Momma's confrontation with the dentist?
(a) as par for the course
(b) as a failure
(c) as a victory
(d) as a step backwards
2. When does Maya's mother make Maya take the baby?
(b) in a year
(c) right away
(d) three weeks after he is born
3. Who, according to blacks, is successful in spite of the oppression of white people?
(a) black doctors
(b) teachers in black schools
(c) Malcom X
(d) the hero in the ghetto
4. Who does Vivian marry after Maya has gone to live with her?
(a) no one
(b) Mr. Clidell
(c) Mr. William Hardy
(d) Malcom X
5. What does Maya see as possible proof she is becoming a lesbian?
(a) She likes staring at girls.
(b) She has never had a boyfriend.
(c) She does not like boys kissing her.
(d) A friend's breasts fascinate her.
6. After Bailey gets to St. Louis how long do they stay waiting for their mother?
(a) four days
(b) two weeks
(c) six months
(d) a year
7. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
(a) a satin cushion
(b) her scarf
(c) her gift of books
(d) a piece of jewlery
8. Where does Vivian go when she leaves Maya and Momma in St. Louis?
(a) San Francisco
(c) New York
9. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
(c) not interested in it
10. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
(a) The school is mostly Chinese.
(b) The school sits next to the subway.
(c) There are a lot of cute boys.
(d) The school is filled with troubled girls.
11. How does Vivian teach the children about other cultures?
(a) introducing them to people from other countries
(b) through food
(c) taking them to different parts of the city
(d) giving them books to read
12. What does Maya's mother tell her when she is worried about raising a child?
(a) She will help her.
(b) She will be fine because it is natural.
(c) She should take a parenting class.
(d) Being a parent is very difficult.
13. How does Maya feel about being pregnant?
(b) like the world is ending
(d) she loves it
14. With whom does Maya have adult conversations?
(a) college graduates that board with her mother
(b) students in school
(c) her stepfather
(d) her grandmother
15. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
(a) petting a cat to calm it
(b) Jesus calming the sea
(c) drinking hot chocolate
(d) soothing the forehead when sick
Short Answer Questions
1. How many black doctors and dentists does Stamps have?
2. How does Maya's mother's home seem to her after returning from her father's?
3. Why do Momma and Maya go away before Bailey?
4. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
5. How does Maya feel about communication with the dead?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)