|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Maya to get a job with the street car company?
(a) two days
(b) a year
(c) a month
(d) three weeks
2. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
(a) Jesus calming the sea
(b) soothing the forehead when sick
(c) drinking hot chocolate
(d) petting a cat to calm it
3. What does Maya's mother tell her when she is worried about raising a child?
(a) She will be fine because it is natural.
(b) She will help her.
(c) Being a parent is very difficult.
(d) She should take a parenting class.
4. When does Maya's mother make Maya take the baby?
(b) three weeks after he is born
(c) right away
(d) in a year
5. With whom does Maya have adult conversations?
(a) her stepfather
(b) college graduates that board with her mother
(c) her grandmother
(d) students in school
6. How do Momma and Willie see Momma's confrontation with the dentist?
(a) as a victory
(b) as a step backwards
(c) as a failure
(d) as par for the course
7. Where does Momma take Maya when she needs a dentist?
(a) Dr. Sarvey
(b) Dr. Lincoln
(c) no where
(d) to California
8. How does Maya get to her new school in San Francisco?
(b) street car
9. What is Maya's rank in her graduating class?
(a) in the middle
(c) at the bottom
10. What does her mother tell Maya about cutting school?
(a) She can transfer to another school.
(b) If her work is caught up, she can skip.
(c) She is not supposed to cut classes.
(d) She can quit school if she wants.
11. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
(a) like laborers
(b) like college graduates
(c) no different than anyone else
(d) like royalty
12. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
(a) The Well of Loneliness
(b) Dykes on Bikes
(c) Six of One
(d) The Children's Hour
13. How does Maya see the city of San Francisco?
(a) friendly, but cool
(b) stuck up
14. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
(a) business owners
(c) farmers, maids, handymen and carpenters
(d) doctors and lawyers
15. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
(a) how to spot them
(b) how to join them
(c) to stay away from them
(d) how to con them
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Taylor say about his dead wife and children?
2. Where does Maya go when she runs from her father?
3. What does Dolores tell Maya's father about marriage?
4. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
5. What makes Maya's fear of death worse?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)