|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
(a) He has cheated on her.
(b) He forgot some ingredients.
(c) Maya is wearing his jacket.
(d) They are late.
2. Where do the black people who move into Maya's neighborhood during the war go to work?
(a) in the war factories
(b) in the motels
(c) on the docks
(d) in the dance halls
3. How does Maya feel about communication with the dead?
4. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
(a) like laborers
(b) like royalty
(c) no different than anyone else
(d) like college graduates
5. How does Maya feel about being pregnant?
(b) she loves it
(d) like the world is ending
6. How does Maya's mother's home seem to her after returning from her father's?
(a) smaller and quieter
(b) noisy and confusing
7. Where does Momma tell Maya and Bailey they will be going to live?
(a) with their mother
(b) with their father
(c) in Florida
(d) with their aunt
8. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
(a) prejudice, white hate and a lack of power
(b) lack of power, lack of money and self-hatred
(c) fear, babies and black men
(d) ignorance, greed and indifference
9. What book does Maya read that exposes her to lesbianism?
(a) Six of One
(b) Dykes on Bikes
(c) The Children's Hour
(d) The Well of Loneliness
10. Why does Maya's mother wake her and Bailey at night?
(a) because she's drunk
(b) to move them out of her room
(c) for biscuits and chocolate milk
(d) to drill them about their school work
11. How does Dolores feel about Maya?
(a) She likes her.
(b) She wants to adopt her.
(c) She is jealous of her.
(d) She is afraid of her.
12. After Bailey gets to St. Louis how long do they stay waiting for their mother?
(a) two weeks
(b) six months
(c) four days
(d) a year
13. Who teaches Maya the rules of the junkyard?
(a) a boy named Bootsie
(b) a boy named James
(c) no one, she's not at a junkyard
(d) a girl named Sabina
14. How does Maya imagine the confrontation between Momma and the dentist?
(a) with Momma kicking him out of town
(b) with Momma wrecking his office
(c) with Momma hitting him over the head
(d) with Momma convincing him to see Maya
15. What does Mrs. Taylor's funeral do to Maya?
(a) makes the word "death" real
(b) makes her sad
(c) makes her happy
(d) helps her grow up
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maya's father work?
2. What does Bailey do in response to his mother's dislike of his lifestyle?
3. Why does Maya have trouble concentrating at the first school she attends in San Francisco?
4. Where does Maya spend summer vacation?
5. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)