|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya see as possible proof she is becoming a lesbian?
(a) She likes staring at girls.
(b) She does not like boys kissing her.
(c) She has never had a boyfriend.
(d) A friend's breasts fascinate her.
2. How does Vivian teach the children about other cultures?
(a) introducing them to people from other countries
(b) through food
(c) giving them books to read
(d) taking them to different parts of the city
3. What does Mrs. Taylor's funeral do to Maya?
(a) makes her happy
(b) makes the word "death" real
(c) helps her grow up
(d) makes her sad
4. How is racism practiced in San Francisco?
(c) there is none
5. What are the graduates of Lafayette Training School expected to become?
(a) doctors and lawyers
(b) business owners
(d) farmers, maids, handymen and carpenters
6. Where does Maya's father take her after her fight with Dolores?
(a) to the bus station
(b) to the hospital
(c) to a friend's house
(d) to church
7. What makes Maya's fear of death worse?
(a) when her dog dies
(b) the minister talking about death
(c) thinking her mother was dead
(d) seeing the lynchings in Stamps
8. What does Maya think about her supervisors on the job?
(a) They are not prejudiced.
(b) They like her.
(c) They are discriminating against her.
(d) They are very competent.
9. Where does Maya sleep when she is on her own?
(a) in an abandoned car
(b) under a bridge
(c) in the library
(d) at a hotel
10. Why are the black people left alone in Maya's neighborhood in San Francisco?
(a) They are not a threat.
(b) There are too many blacks for the whites to control.
(c) The whites have the Japanese to harrass.
(d) They are doing all the dirty work.
11. What do some white men do that makes Bailey so upset one night?
(a) They make him carry the body of a black man.
(b) They threaten to lynch him.
(c) They beat him.
(d) They threaten Maya.
12. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
13. Where does Vivian go when she leaves Maya and Momma in St. Louis?
(a) San Francisco
(d) New York
14. Where does Maya transfer to school?
(a) Jefferson High School
(b) Edgewater High
(c) San Franciso High
(d) George Washington High School
15. Who, according to blacks, is successful in spite of the oppression of white people?
(a) teachers in black schools
(b) the hero in the ghetto
(c) black doctors
(d) Malcom X
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maya spend summer vacation?
2. With whom does Maya have adult conversations?
3. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
4. Why can Maya not become a lesbian, according to her mother?
5. How does Miss Kerwin treat her black and white students?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)