|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Vivian do for work?
(c) runs card games
(d) social worker
2. Who, according to blacks, is successful in spite of the oppression of white people?
(a) Malcom X
(b) black doctors
(c) the hero in the ghetto
(d) teachers in black schools
3. How long does it take Maya to get a job with the street car company?
(a) a year
(b) two days
(c) a month
(d) three weeks
4. Why does Maya drive the car back to Calexico?
(a) Her father is drunk.
(b) she does not drive the car because she is too young.
(c) Her father is sick.
(d) Her father takes off for South America.
5. Maya think lesbians are the same as _________.
(c) single older women
(d) tough girls
6. How do Momma and Willie see Momma's confrontation with the dentist?
(a) as par for the course
(b) as a failure
(c) as a victory
(d) as a step backwards
7. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
(c) not interested in it
8. What does Bailey do in response to his mother's dislike of his lifestyle?
(a) quits hanging with his friends
(b) goes back to school
(c) slaps her
(d) moves out
9. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
(a) It is against the law.
(b) God will strike him dead.
(c) She helped him when he was broke.
(d) His wife will be ashamed of him.
10. What do Bailey and Maya have in common since her return from her father's?
(c) street slang
11. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
(a) Maya is wearing his jacket.
(b) He has cheated on her.
(c) They are late.
(d) He forgot some ingredients.
12. What is the "tripartite crossfire" that assaults young black girls?
(a) ignorance, greed and indifference
(b) fear, babies and black men
(c) lack of power, lack of money and self-hatred
(d) prejudice, white hate and a lack of power
13. How does Maya feel about the threat of bombings during the war?
(d) at home
14. What does the pregnancy prove to Maya, in her mind?
(a) She is a woman.
(b) She can have children.
(c) She likes boys.
(d) She is not a lesbian.
15. Maya says has gained independence but lost what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya take from Mrs. Flowers when she leaves?
2. What happens after the baby is born?
3. How does Maya prove she is not a lesbian?
4. How does the black community treat the graduates of Lafayette Training School?
5. To what does Maya compare her grandmother's ability to calm Maya?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)