|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya see as possible proof she is becoming a lesbian?
(a) She has never had a boyfriend.
(b) She likes staring at girls.
(c) A friend's breasts fascinate her.
(d) She does not like boys kissing her.
2. What does Maya think about her supervisors on the job?
(a) They are very competent.
(b) They like her.
(c) They are discriminating against her.
(d) They are not prejudiced.
3. How does Bailey feel about Maya's return?
(d) not interested in it
4. What does Maya's new stepfather do for work?
(b) owns apartment buildings and pool halls
(c) basketball player
5. What does Momma make the white dentist do?
(a) pay her the ten dollars that he owes her
(c) leave town
(d) see Maya
6. What does her stepfather teach her about con men?
(a) how to join them
(b) to stay away from them
(c) how to con them
(d) how to spot them
7. What does her mother say about Maya's pregnancy?
(a) asks if she wants to marry the boy
(b) that those things happen
(c) that Maya is a whore
(d) that she has to go live in Stamps
8. How long does it take Maya to get a job with the street car company?
(a) a year
(b) a month
(c) two days
(d) three weeks
9. After Bailey gets to St. Louis how long do they stay waiting for their mother?
(a) two weeks
(b) a year
(c) four days
(d) six months
10. What does Momma tell the white dentist when he refuses to see Maya?
(a) It is against the law.
(b) She helped him when he was broke.
(c) God will strike him dead.
(d) His wife will be ashamed of him.
11. How does Maya see the city of San Francisco?
(a) stuck up
(d) friendly, but cool
12. An adult Maya suggests that black people survive ___________________.
(a) by education
(b) by arming themselves
(c) in relationship to their dedicated poets
(d) by taking over the government
13. What does Bailey do in response to his mother's dislike of his lifestyle?
(a) goes back to school
(b) quits hanging with his friends
(c) slaps her
(d) moves out
14. Who holds all the money in the gang Maya joins?
15. What does Dolores tell Maya's father about marriage?
(a) She does not want to marry.
(b) She will marry if Maya will come to the wedding.
(c) She does not believe in marriage.
(d) She wants to marry him but not his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Momma give Maya for graduation?
2. What happens after the baby is born?
3. What does Maya's mother tell her when she is worried about raising a child?
4. What does Dolores complain about when Maya and her father come in from the trip?
5. How many black doctors and dentists does Stamps have?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)