|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
(a) The blacks do not go in the white section of town.
(b) Segregation is absolute.
(c) There are no white people in Stamps.
(d) The white people abuse black children.
2. Why do the children hope for a bloody victory?
(a) The adults will give them candy.
(b) The adults will let them stay up late.
(c) It will prove blacks are better than whites.
(d) It is nice to hear of a white man getting bloody.
3. How does Maya see living in St. Louis?
(a) as sad and lonely
(b) as exciting
(c) as calm and peaceful
(d) like being in a foreign country
4. When Louis goes down temporarily how does it feel to the blacks?
(a) like another whipping or lynching
(b) like segregation is never going to end
(c) like slavery just got reenacted
(d) like their dreams were dead
5. What in the movies reminds Bailey of his mother?
(a) the city of San Fransico
(b) watching the trains go west
(c) seeing St. Louis
(d) the actress, Kay Williams
6. How does life for the blacks in Stamps change following the fight?
(a) It does not change at all.
(b) It gets better.
(c) It gets much worse.
(d) It ends segregation.
7. Who are the fighters that the blacks are listening to during a match broadcast on the radio?
(a) Carmicheal and Veal
(b) Robinson and Louis
(c) Carnera and Louis
(d) Ali and Fraiser
8. What are two things that interest the neighbors?
(a) elevators and white people
(b) corn and tobacco
(c) the military and war
(d) farming and owning a store
9. What do Maya and her best friend call the language that they create?
10. Why does Maya say she is so advanced in school?
(a) She is very smart.
(b) The schools are better in the South.
(c) Her grandmother sent her to private school.
(d) Uncle Willie and boredom make her read more.
11. How old is Maya when she goes to work for Mrs. Cullinan?
12. How does Maya imagine herself when she is very young?
(a) as a woman wearing furs and diamonds
(b) as a blonde with blue eyes
(c) as a white man
(d) as a super black model
13. What makes Maya proud to be black for the first time?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Graduating from school
(c) Mrs. Flowers
(d) Her Momma's store
14. As a young child who is Maya's favorite author?
15. How are the cotton pickers in the first chapter paid?
(a) by the weight of cotton they pick
(b) by the hour
(c) with food
(d) by a company store credit
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Joyce?
2. Where do the children go when they leave Stamps?
3. Where do Bailey and Maya sit in church?
4. How does Bailey get to Baton Rouge?
5. Who does Maya speak to finally after spending time with Mrs. Flowers?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)