|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the cotton pickers in the first chapter paid?
(a) by the weight of cotton they pick
(b) with food
(c) by a company store credit
(d) by the hour
2. Who are the fighters that the blacks are listening to during a match broadcast on the radio?
(a) Carmicheal and Veal
(b) Carnera and Louis
(c) Ali and Fraiser
(d) Robinson and Louis
3. What is Maya's mother by profession?
(a) a nurse
(b) a minister
(c) a librarian
(d) a teacher
4. Why does Maya say she is so advanced in school?
(a) Her grandmother sent her to private school.
(b) The schools are better in the South.
(c) She is very smart.
(d) Uncle Willie and boredom make her read more.
5. Why do Maya and her brother go to live with their grandmother in Stamps?
(a) Their mother is sick.
(b) Their parents do not want them.
(c) Their parents are killed.
(d) Their parents divorce.
6. How does Maya punish herself when she does not measure flour correctly?
(a) by not reading that night
(b) by not eating sweets
(c) by not going to the movies
(d) by cleaning the kitchen
7. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
(a) to see fireworks
(b) to bed
(c) to a revival
(d) to friends' or family homes for a visit
8. Why does Maya keep quiet about Mr. Freedman's rape of her?
(a) She is afraid he will kill the dog.
(b) She is afraid he will kill Bailey.
(c) She is afraid of the police.
(d) She is afraid of her mother.
9. What does Maya do with her panties after Mr. Freedman attacks her?
(a) burns them
(b) show them to her mother
(c) throws them away
(d) hides them
10. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
(a) burns it
(b) throws it away
(c) presses it in a book
(d) tears it up
11. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
12. Who does Maya speak to finally after spending time with Mrs. Flowers?
(a) her grandmother
(b) Uncle Willie
(c) her father
13. How old is Maya when she goes to work for Mrs. Cullinan?
14. What does Maya admire about Momma?
(a) her beauty
(b) her wealth
(c) her strength and power
(d) her intelligence
15. How does segregation affect the attitude of blacks towards whites?
(a) makes the blacks pity the whites
(b) makes the blacks feel contempt towards the whites
(c) makes the blacks admire the whites
(d) makes the blacks hate the whites
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times has Momma been married?
2. Why does Maya give Bailey a dime?
3. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
4. What do the preachers talk about in relationship to God and whites?
5. What are girls in Stamps required to learn?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)