|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
(a) the black
(b) they didn't finish the fight
(c) the white
(d) it was a draw
2. What happens to Maya and Bailey after the incident with Mr. Freedman?
(a) They are sent to their father's home.
(b) They are sent back to Stamps.
(c) They are put in a boarding school.
(d) They are put in a foster home.
3. How does Maya imagine herself when she is very young?
(a) as a super black model
(b) as a woman wearing furs and diamonds
(c) as a blonde with blue eyes
(d) as a white man
4. What is Maya's mother by profession?
(a) a librarian
(b) a minister
(c) a teacher
(d) a nurse
5. What day of the week is exciting and different to Maya?
6. Who are the fighters that the blacks are listening to during a match broadcast on the radio?
(a) Ali and Fraiser
(b) Robinson and Louis
(c) Carnera and Louis
(d) Carmicheal and Veal
7. What does she learn from the prejudice the blacks face in Stamps?
(a) how to hate whites
(b) how to love deeply
(c) the ability to be satisfied in spite of the inequities
(d) how to get rich even with segregation
8. What does Maya wish when she reads books about heroes?
(a) that a hero would kill Mr. Freedman
(b) that she was a princess
(c) that she was a boy
(d) that she would be rescued
9. What does Bailey do in his hideaway?
(a) plays games with other boys
(c) experiments with petting
10. What convinces Maya as she is leaving that Mrs. Cullinan now knows her name?
(a) She sends a letter to Mrs. Cullinan.
(b) Mrs. Cullinan screams at her.
(c) She leaves it written on the table.
(d) Glory tells Mrs. Cullinan.
11. What do Maya and her best friend call the language that they create?
12. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
(a) She is afraid of God.
(b) She hates the minister.
(c) She falls asleep in church.
(d) She wets herself.
13. Who is Reverend Howard Thomas?
(a) the preacher on television
(b) Uncle Willie's friend
(c) a presiding elder in the church
(d) Momma's brother
14. What happens to Mr. Freedman after court?
(a) He goes to jail for 20 years.
(b) He rapes her again.
(c) He runs away.
(d) Maya's uncles kill him.
15. How does Bailey get to Baton Rouge?
(a) hops a freight train
(b) drives Momma's car
(c) tales a bus
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
2. What does Maya hear all night when Uncle Willie is hiding?
3. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
4. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
5. How does segregation affect the attitude of blacks towards whites?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)