|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bailey feel about the neighbors questions?
(b) he enjoys the spotlight
2. What do Maya and her best friend call the language that they create?
3. How are the cotton pickers in the first chapter paid?
(a) with food
(b) by the hour
(c) by the weight of cotton they pick
(d) by a company store credit
4. Where, according to the author, can childhood questions be answered?
(a) by their parents
(b) in the town in which the child grew up
(c) by their mother
(d) by reading about childhood
5. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
(a) The blacks do not go in the white section of town.
(b) There are no white people in Stamps.
(c) The white people abuse black children.
(d) Segregation is absolute.
6. Where do the children go when they leave Stamps?
(a) to their aunt's home
(b) to their mother's home
(c) they never leave Stamps
(d) to a foster home
7. Who comes to Stamps to get the children?
(a) no one
(b) Bailey Johnson Senior
(c) Vivian Johnson
(d) Aunt Hilda
8. What does Maya admire about Bailey?
(a) He beats up anyone who gives him a hard time.
(b) He can finish all his chores and homework and still read more.
(c) He is much taller than she.
(d) He knows how to steal from the white people.
9. How does Maya get out of working for Mrs. Cullinan?
(a) She breaks a window.
(b) She drops the good china.
(c) She steals her jewlery.
(d) She leaves mud on the table.
10. What does Bailey do in his hideaway?
(a) experiments with petting
(b) plays games with other boys
11. How does Bailey get to Baton Rouge?
(a) hops a freight train
(b) drives Momma's car
(c) tales a bus
12. What kind of men are Maya's uncles?
(a) educated and rich
(b) soft spoken and courteous
(c) slow learners
(d) mean and violent
13. What happens to Maya and Bailey after the incident with Mr. Freedman?
(a) They are put in a foster home.
(b) They are sent to their father's home.
(c) They are sent back to Stamps.
(d) They are put in a boarding school.
14. Where does Bailey build a hideaway?
(a) in the woods
(b) down by the creek
(c) at a friend's house
(d) behind the store
15. What does Uncle Willie do to punish mistakes in math that Maya makes?
(a) touches her fingers to the stove
(b) does not give her dinner
(c) sprays her with cold water
(d) slaps her on the head
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week is exciting and different to Maya?
2. Why do some people who live farther away stay at Momma's after the fight?
3. How does segregation affect the attitude of blacks towards whites?
4. Why does Maya give Bailey a dime?
5. What does Grandma Baxter do?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)