|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the children hope for a bloody victory?
(a) The adults will give them candy.
(b) It will prove blacks are better than whites.
(c) It is nice to hear of a white man getting bloody.
(d) The adults will let them stay up late.
2. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
(a) they didn't finish the fight
(b) it was a draw
(c) the white
(d) the black
3. How many times has Momma been married?
4. What do the neighbors ask the children about?
(a) their schooling
(b) their grandmother Baxter
(c) their travels
(d) their mother
5. How does life for the blacks in Stamps change following the fight?
(a) It ends segregation.
(b) It does not change at all.
(c) It gets much worse.
(d) It gets better.
6. What does Maya find interesting about poor people's attitude towards God?
(a) They think God will save them.
(b) They are angry at God.
(c) They praise God in spite of poverty.
(d) They attribute their situation to God's will.
7. As a young child who is Maya's favorite author?
8. Where do Bailey and Maya sit in church?
(a) with the other children
(b) in the back
(c) the front row
(d) in the choir loft
9. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) she misses her grandmother.
(c) She hates the weather.
(d) She misses her friends.
10. How does Maya see living in St. Louis?
(a) as exciting
(b) as calm and peaceful
(c) as sad and lonely
(d) like being in a foreign country
11. What does Bailey do for Joyce?
(a) teaches her to read
(b) teaches her to write
(c) teaches her about boys
(d) steals food for her
12. What is the biggest gathering of the year in Stamps for black people?
(a) Memorial day
(b) Labor day
(c) Fourth of July
(d) Summer fish fry
13. What happens to Maya and Bailey after the incident with Mr. Freedman?
(a) They are sent to their father's home.
(b) They are put in a foster home.
(c) They are put in a boarding school.
(d) They are sent back to Stamps.
14. What do the blacks ask in regard to the whites and judgment?
(a) Will the poor get to see the judgment?
(b) When is it going to happen?
(c) Will rich blacks be included?
(d) How bad is it going to be?
15. What in the movies reminds Bailey of his mother?
(a) watching the trains go west
(b) the city of San Fransico
(c) seeing St. Louis
(d) the actress, Kay Williams
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maya speak to finally after spending time with Mrs. Flowers?
2. Who are the fighters that the blacks are listening to during a match broadcast on the radio?
3. What does Maya say about her senses following her troubles with Mr. Freedman?
4. What does Bailey do in his hideaway?
5. How does Maya get out of working for Mrs. Cullinan?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)