|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the cotton pickers in the first chapter paid?
(a) with food
(b) by the hour
(c) by a company store credit
(d) by the weight of cotton they pick
2. What does Bailey do in his hideaway?
(b) plays games with other boys
(d) experiments with petting
3. How does Maya feel once she is back in Stamps?
4. What does Joyce do that confuses Bailey?
(a) tells him about sex
(b) tells him she is a lesbian
(c) tells him he needs to grow up
(d) tells him to open his pants
5. What does Uncle Willie do to punish mistakes in math that Maya makes?
(a) does not give her dinner
(b) sprays her with cold water
(c) slaps her on the head
(d) touches her fingers to the stove
6. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
(a) She hates the weather.
(b) she misses her grandmother.
(c) She is frightened.
(d) She misses her friends.
7. What does Maya think of her black skin?
(a) that it is beautiful
(b) that it does not mean anything
(c) that it is strange
(d) that it is ugly
8. As a young child who is Maya's favorite author?
9. What does Maya tell Joyce?
(a) not to talk to her brother
(b) to go to church with them
(c) not to confuse her brother
(d) not to come to the store
10. What does Mrs. Flowers tell Maya about language?
(a) It is God's curse on humans.
(b) It does not matter how you talk.
(c) It is how man communicates.
(d) It is never clear what someone is saying.
11. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
(a) having to go to jail
(b) sounding stupid
(c) being made fun of
(d) his or her life
12. Who does Maya speak to finally after spending time with Mrs. Flowers?
(a) Uncle Willie
(b) her father
(d) her grandmother
13. Why does Maya say she is so advanced in school?
(a) The schools are better in the South.
(b) Her grandmother sent her to private school.
(c) Uncle Willie and boredom make her read more.
(d) She is very smart.
14. What does Maya call the time she spends with Mrs. Flowers?
(a) her lessons in living
(b) her quiet time
(c) her down time
(d) her white people time
15. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
(a) They work too hard.
(b) They think the scales are weighted.
(c) They are always cut.
(d) They need more jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bailey build a hideaway?
2. When Louis goes down temporarily how does it feel to the blacks?
3. How does Maya imagine herself when she is very young?
4. What does the young Maya think about white people?
5. How does Maya punish herself when she does not measure flour correctly?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)