|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bailey build a hideaway?
(a) down by the creek
(b) behind the store
(c) at a friend's house
(d) in the woods
2. What does Maya admire about Momma?
(a) her intelligence
(b) her wealth
(c) her strength and power
(d) her beauty
3. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
(a) She is too nosy.
(b) She is the ideal human being.
(c) She is too educated.
(d) She is mean.
4. What is the biggest gathering of the year in Stamps for black people?
(a) Labor day
(b) Memorial day
(c) Summer fish fry
(d) Fourth of July
5. What does Maya decide to do after Mr. Freedman is stopped?
(a) become a prostitute
(b) run away
(c) never speak to anyone again
(d) go to college
6. What does Bailey do when someone insults Maya?
(a) takes revenge
(b) ignores it
(c) tells Momma
(d) joins in
7. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
(a) throws it away
(b) burns it
(c) presses it in a book
(d) tears it up
8. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She hates the weather.
(c) she misses her grandmother.
(d) She misses her friends.
9. How does Maya see living in St. Louis?
(a) as calm and peaceful
(b) as sad and lonely
(c) like being in a foreign country
(d) as exciting
10. Why does Maya say she is so advanced in school?
(a) Her grandmother sent her to private school.
(b) The schools are better in the South.
(c) Uncle Willie and boredom make her read more.
(d) She is very smart.
11. What are girls in Stamps required to learn?
(a) childcare, sewing and driving
(b) dressmaking and baking
(c) cooking and cleaning
(d) embroidery, crochet and tatting
12. What is Maya's mother by profession?
(a) a nurse
(b) a minister
(c) a librarian
(d) a teacher
13. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
(a) sounding stupid
(b) having to go to jail
(c) being made fun of
(d) his or her life
14. Why is Bailey late getting home one Saturday?
(a) He gets lost in the city.
(b) He is beaten by white boys.
(c) He gets drunk on alcohol.
(d) He goes to a movie.
15. Who becomes Maya's first girlfriend?
(a) Louise Kendricks
(b) Ruth Potter
(c) Susie Turner
(d) Millie Hanks
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bailey feel about the neighbors questions?
2. How does segregation affect the attitude of blacks towards whites?
3. Why does Maya give Bailey a dime?
4. When Louis goes down temporarily how does it feel to the blacks?
5. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)