|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Joyce?
(a) She runs away with a railroad porter.
(b) She runs away with a soldier.
(c) She dies.
(d) She runs away with a doctor.
2. What makes Maya proud to be black for the first time?
(a) Graduating from school
(b) Her Momma's store
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Mrs. Flowers
3. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
(a) She is mean.
(b) She is the ideal human being.
(c) She is too educated.
(d) She is too nosy.
4. What do the black men do for the big summer gathering?
(a) hunt deer
(c) fish for bass
5. What does Uncle Willie do to punish mistakes in math that Maya makes?
(a) touches her fingers to the stove
(b) does not give her dinner
(c) slaps her on the head
(d) sprays her with cold water
6. How do Maya and Bailey feel when they get Christmas presents from their parents?
7. What does she learn from the prejudice the blacks face in Stamps?
(a) how to hate whites
(b) how to love deeply
(c) the ability to be satisfied in spite of the inequities
(d) how to get rich even with segregation
8. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
(a) They are always cut.
(b) They work too hard.
(c) They think the scales are weighted.
(d) They need more jobs.
9. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
(a) to a revival
(b) to bed
(c) to see fireworks
(d) to friends' or family homes for a visit
10. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
(a) the white
(b) they didn't finish the fight
(c) the black
(d) it was a draw
11. Where does Bailey build a hideaway?
(a) in the woods
(b) behind the store
(c) down by the creek
(d) at a friend's house
12. What does Maya admire about Bailey?
(a) He can finish all his chores and homework and still read more.
(b) He beats up anyone who gives him a hard time.
(c) He is much taller than she.
(d) He knows how to steal from the white people.
13. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
(a) Segregation is absolute.
(b) The blacks do not go in the white section of town.
(c) There are no white people in Stamps.
(d) The white people abuse black children.
14. What are girls in Stamps required to learn?
(a) dressmaking and baking
(b) cooking and cleaning
(c) childcare, sewing and driving
(d) embroidery, crochet and tatting
15. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
(a) sounding stupid
(b) his or her life
(c) being made fun of
(d) having to go to jail
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Maya and her brother go to live with their grandmother in Stamps?
2. How does Bailey feel about the neighbors questions?
3. What does the young Maya think about white people?
4. How does segregation affect the attitude of blacks towards whites?
5. What kind of men are Maya's uncles?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)