|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
(a) She hates the weather.
(b) she misses her grandmother.
(c) She misses her friends.
(d) She is frightened.
2. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
(a) The whites are looking for a black man.
(b) They are playing.
(c) His ex-wife is looking for him.
(d) They do not want Bailey to know where he is.
3. Why do the children hope for a bloody victory?
(a) It will prove blacks are better than whites.
(b) It is nice to hear of a white man getting bloody.
(c) The adults will give them candy.
(d) The adults will let them stay up late.
4. What happens to Maya and Bailey after the incident with Mr. Freedman?
(a) They are sent to their father's home.
(b) They are sent back to Stamps.
(c) They are put in a boarding school.
(d) They are put in a foster home.
5. How do Maya and Bailey feel when they get Christmas presents from their parents?
6. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
(a) being made fun of
(b) sounding stupid
(c) having to go to jail
(d) his or her life
7. Who are the fighters that the blacks are listening to during a match broadcast on the radio?
(a) Robinson and Louis
(b) Ali and Fraiser
(c) Carnera and Louis
(d) Carmicheal and Veal
8. What do the blacks ask in regard to the whites and judgment?
(a) When is it going to happen?
(b) Will rich blacks be included?
(c) Will the poor get to see the judgment?
(d) How bad is it going to be?
9. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
(a) it was a draw
(b) the white
(c) the black
(d) they didn't finish the fight
10. Why do Maya and Bailey dislike the Reverend Thomas?
(a) He pinches them on the cheek.
(b) He smells funny.
(c) He preaches too long.
(d) He never remembers their names.
11. Who comes to Stamps to get the children?
(a) Bailey Johnson Senior
(b) Vivian Johnson
(c) no one
(d) Aunt Hilda
12. What does Maya see between the preachers during the revival that she has never seen before?
13. What do Maya and her best friend call the language that they create?
14. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
(a) The blacks do not go in the white section of town.
(b) The white people abuse black children.
(c) Segregation is absolute.
(d) There are no white people in Stamps.
15. How does Maya punish herself when she does not measure flour correctly?
(a) by not going to the movies
(b) by not reading that night
(c) by cleaning the kitchen
(d) by not eating sweets
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya find interesting about poor people's attitude towards God?
2. What does Bailey do for Joyce?
3. What does Maya say about her senses following her troubles with Mr. Freedman?
4. Who gives the children peanut patties?
5. What happens to Mr. Freedman after court?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)