|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Mrs. Cullinan's main problems?
(a) She is black.
(b) She is poor.
(c) She is uneducated.
(d) She is an alcoholic.
2. What does Maya say about her senses following her troubles with Mr. Freedman?
(a) They are about the same.
(b) They are very sensitive.
(c) Colors are muted and sounds are dull.
(d) They wax and wane.
3. What does Maya think of her black skin?
(a) that it does not mean anything
(b) that it is strange
(c) that it is beautiful
(d) that it is ugly
4. What does Maya decide to do after Mr. Freedman is stopped?
(a) never speak to anyone again
(b) become a prostitute
(c) go to college
(d) run away
5. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
6. How does Maya get out of working for Mrs. Cullinan?
(a) She leaves mud on the table.
(b) She steals her jewlery.
(c) She breaks a window.
(d) She drops the good china.
7. What does Maya tell Joyce?
(a) not to talk to her brother
(b) not to confuse her brother
(c) not to come to the store
(d) to go to church with them
8. How does life for the blacks in Stamps change following the fight?
(a) It ends segregation.
(b) It gets better.
(c) It gets much worse.
(d) It does not change at all.
9. Why do Maya and Bailey dislike the Reverend Thomas?
(a) He pinches them on the cheek.
(b) He never remembers their names.
(c) He preaches too long.
(d) He smells funny.
10. Why do the blacks say it is fine for the whites to have money?
(a) Blacks have more love.
(b) The rich are lonely.
(c) God loves the black people.
(d) The rich will burn in hell.
11. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
(a) The whites are looking for a black man.
(b) They do not want Bailey to know where he is.
(c) They are playing.
(d) His ex-wife is looking for him.
12. What does Joyce do that confuses Bailey?
(a) tells him she is a lesbian
(b) tells him to open his pants
(c) tells him he needs to grow up
(d) tells him about sex
13. What does Maya call the time she spends with Mrs. Flowers?
(a) her white people time
(b) her quiet time
(c) her lessons in living
(d) her down time
14. Where, according to the author, can childhood questions be answered?
(a) by reading about childhood
(b) by their parents
(c) by their mother
(d) in the town in which the child grew up
15. How does Maya see living in St. Louis?
(a) as sad and lonely
(b) as calm and peaceful
(c) like being in a foreign country
(d) as exciting
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Uncle Willie become handicapped?
2. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
3. Where does Maya say a person's values and opinions are formed?
4. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
5. How many times has Momma been married?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)