|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the children hope for a bloody victory?
(a) The adults will let them stay up late.
(b) The adults will give them candy.
(c) It is nice to hear of a white man getting bloody.
(d) It will prove blacks are better than whites.
2. When Louis goes down temporarily how does it feel to the blacks?
(a) like their dreams were dead
(b) like another whipping or lynching
(c) like slavery just got reenacted
(d) like segregation is never going to end
3. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
(a) that they are rich
(b) that they live in Florida
(c) that they are alive
(d) that they dislike their children
4. What are girls in Stamps required to learn?
(a) cooking and cleaning
(b) childcare, sewing and driving
(c) embroidery, crochet and tatting
(d) dressmaking and baking
5. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) she misses her grandmother.
(c) She hates the weather.
(d) She misses her friends.
6. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
(a) She is too nosy.
(b) She is the ideal human being.
(c) She is too educated.
(d) She is mean.
7. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
(a) She is afraid of God.
(b) She wets herself.
(c) She hates the minister.
(d) She falls asleep in church.
8. What does Maya admire about Bailey?
(a) He beats up anyone who gives him a hard time.
(b) He can finish all his chores and homework and still read more.
(c) He is much taller than she.
(d) He knows how to steal from the white people.
9. What does Bailey do in his hideaway?
(c) experiments with petting
(d) plays games with other boys
10. What happens to Joyce?
(a) She runs away with a soldier.
(b) She dies.
(c) She runs away with a railroad porter.
(d) She runs away with a doctor.
11. Who are the fighters that the blacks are listening to during a match broadcast on the radio?
(a) Carmicheal and Veal
(b) Robinson and Louis
(c) Carnera and Louis
(d) Ali and Fraiser
12. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
(a) being made fun of
(b) sounding stupid
(c) having to go to jail
(d) his or her life
13. What in the movies reminds Bailey of his mother?
(a) seeing St. Louis
(b) the city of San Fransico
(c) watching the trains go west
(d) the actress, Kay Williams
14. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
(a) burns it
(b) throws it away
(c) presses it in a book
(d) tears it up
15. Why does Maya give Bailey a dime?
(a) to go to the movies
(b) to get her candy
(c) to buy a comic book
(d) to get her lipstick
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya see between the preachers during the revival that she has never seen before?
2. What is Maya's mother by profession?
3. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
4. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
5. How does Bailey get to Baton Rouge?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)