|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Maya proud to be black for the first time?
(a) Graduating from school
(b) Her Momma's store
(c) Mrs. Flowers
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr.
2. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
(a) his or her life
(b) sounding stupid
(c) having to go to jail
(d) being made fun of
3. How does Maya imagine herself when she is very young?
(a) as a white man
(b) as a super black model
(c) as a woman wearing furs and diamonds
(d) as a blonde with blue eyes
4. What does Bailey do when someone insults Maya?
(a) joins in
(b) takes revenge
(c) tells Momma
(d) ignores it
5. What does she learn from the prejudice the blacks face in Stamps?
(a) how to hate whites
(b) the ability to be satisfied in spite of the inequities
(c) how to love deeply
(d) how to get rich even with segregation
6. What do the blacks in Stamps think of Mrs. Flowers?
(a) She is the nobility.
(b) She is a loose woman.
(c) She is too white.
(d) She is an Uncle Tom.
7. Why do some people who live farther away stay at Momma's after the fight?
(a) fear of repercussions from white men
(b) to make money on boarding them
(c) they were too tired to walk home
(d) to join a celebration
8. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
(a) to friends' or family homes for a visit
(b) to see fireworks
(c) to a revival
(d) to bed
9. What happens to Maya and Bailey after the incident with Mr. Freedman?
(a) They are put in a boarding school.
(b) They are sent to their father's home.
(c) They are sent back to Stamps.
(d) They are put in a foster home.
10. How did Uncle Willie become handicapped?
(a) hit by a car
(b) beat up by a white gang
(c) born with it
(d) dropped as a baby
11. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
(a) There are no white people in Stamps.
(b) The white people abuse black children.
(c) The blacks do not go in the white section of town.
(d) Segregation is absolute.
12. How does Maya get out of working for Mrs. Cullinan?
(a) She drops the good china.
(b) She breaks a window.
(c) She steals her jewlery.
(d) She leaves mud on the table.
13. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
(a) The whites are looking for a black man.
(b) They are playing.
(c) They do not want Bailey to know where he is.
(d) His ex-wife is looking for him.
14. Who gives the children peanut patties?
(b) The owner of the candy store
(c) Mrs. Flowers
(d) Uncle Willie
15. What does Maya admire about Momma?
(a) her beauty
(b) her wealth
(c) her intelligence
(d) her strength and power
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two things that interest the neighbors?
2. How does Maya feel once she is back in Stamps?
3. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
4. What does Maya hear all night when Uncle Willie is hiding?
5. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)