|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Maya speak to finally after spending time with Mrs. Flowers?
(a) Uncle Willie
(b) her grandmother
(d) her father
2. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
(a) She hates the minister.
(b) She wets herself.
(c) She is afraid of God.
(d) She falls asleep in church.
3. Why do some people who live farther away stay at Momma's after the fight?
(a) to make money on boarding them
(b) fear of repercussions from white men
(c) to join a celebration
(d) they were too tired to walk home
4. Why does Maya keep quiet about Mr. Freedman's rape of her?
(a) She is afraid he will kill the dog.
(b) She is afraid of her mother.
(c) She is afraid of the police.
(d) She is afraid he will kill Bailey.
5. What does Mr. Freedman order Maya to do?
(a) walk his dog
(b) go to school
(c) read a book
(d) take off her clothes
6. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
(a) They work too hard.
(b) They think the scales are weighted.
(c) They are always cut.
(d) They need more jobs.
7. As a young child who is Maya's favorite author?
8. What in the movies reminds Bailey of his mother?
(a) seeing St. Louis
(b) the actress, Kay Williams
(c) watching the trains go west
(d) the city of San Fransico
9. What day of the week is exciting and different to Maya?
10. How does Bailey feel about the neighbors questions?
(b) he enjoys the spotlight
11. What does Maya hear all night when Uncle Willie is hiding?
(a) the minister preaching
(b) people running and yelling outside
(c) his whimpering
(d) blacks singing
12. Who becomes Maya's first girlfriend?
(a) Millie Hanks
(b) Susie Turner
(c) Louise Kendricks
(d) Ruth Potter
13. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
(a) throws it away
(b) presses it in a book
(c) tears it up
(d) burns it
14. Who gives the children peanut patties?
(a) Uncle Willie
(b) The owner of the candy store
(c) Mrs. Flowers
15. What do the neighbors ask the children about?
(a) their travels
(b) their grandmother Baxter
(c) their schooling
(d) their mother
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Maya proud to be black for the first time?
2. How does Maya get out of working for Mrs. Cullinan?
3. How does Maya feel once she is back in Stamps?
4. Why do Maya and her brother go to live with their grandmother in Stamps?
5. What does Mrs. Flowers tell Maya about language?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)