|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Maya and Bailey after the incident with Mr. Freedman?
(a) They are put in a boarding school.
(b) They are put in a foster home.
(c) They are sent back to Stamps.
(d) They are sent to their father's home.
2. Why do the blacks say it is fine for the whites to have money?
(a) Blacks have more love.
(b) The rich will burn in hell.
(c) God loves the black people.
(d) The rich are lonely.
3. Where do Bailey and Maya sit in church?
(a) in the choir loft
(b) with the other children
(c) the front row
(d) in the back
4. How many times has Momma been married?
5. What are two things that interest the neighbors?
(a) farming and owning a store
(b) corn and tobacco
(c) the military and war
(d) elevators and white people
6. What convinces Maya as she is leaving that Mrs. Cullinan now knows her name?
(a) Mrs. Cullinan screams at her.
(b) She leaves it written on the table.
(c) She sends a letter to Mrs. Cullinan.
(d) Glory tells Mrs. Cullinan.
7. What does Uncle Willie do to punish mistakes in math that Maya makes?
(a) does not give her dinner
(b) touches her fingers to the stove
(c) slaps her on the head
(d) sprays her with cold water
8. What do the black men do for the big summer gathering?
(a) fish for bass
(c) hunt deer
9. What does Maya hear all night when Uncle Willie is hiding?
(a) his whimpering
(b) people running and yelling outside
(c) blacks singing
(d) the minister preaching
10. What do the black women do for the yearly gathering in Stamps?
(d) sew costumes
11. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
(a) that they live in Florida
(b) that they dislike their children
(c) that they are rich
(d) that they are alive
12. What does Joyce do that confuses Bailey?
(a) tells him about sex
(b) tells him to open his pants
(c) tells him he needs to grow up
(d) tells him she is a lesbian
13. What does Maya admire about Momma?
(a) her beauty
(b) her wealth
(c) her strength and power
(d) her intelligence
14. Who wins the fight between the black boxer and the white?
(a) they didn't finish the fight
(b) the black
(c) it was a draw
(d) the white
15. What is one of Mrs. Cullinan's main problems?
(a) She is an alcoholic.
(b) She is black.
(c) She is poor.
(d) She is uneducated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
2. What does the young Maya think about white people?
3. Where does Bailey build a hideaway?
4. What does Maya think of her black skin?
5. Who does Maya speak to finally after spending time with Mrs. Flowers?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)