|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
(a) They think the scales are weighted.
(b) They need more jobs.
(c) They work too hard.
(d) They are always cut.
2. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
(a) His ex-wife is looking for him.
(b) They are playing.
(c) The whites are looking for a black man.
(d) They do not want Bailey to know where he is.
3. Why does Maya say she is so advanced in school?
(a) Her grandmother sent her to private school.
(b) The schools are better in the South.
(c) She is very smart.
(d) Uncle Willie and boredom make her read more.
4. Why do the children hope for a bloody victory?
(a) The adults will let them stay up late.
(b) It will prove blacks are better than whites.
(c) It is nice to hear of a white man getting bloody.
(d) The adults will give them candy.
5. Why do the blacks say it is fine for the whites to have money?
(a) Blacks have more love.
(b) The rich will burn in hell.
(c) God loves the black people.
(d) The rich are lonely.
6. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She misses her friends.
(c) she misses her grandmother.
(d) She hates the weather.
7. What are two things that interest the neighbors?
(a) corn and tobacco
(b) the military and war
(c) farming and owning a store
(d) elevators and white people
8. What happens to Mr. Freedman after court?
(a) Maya's uncles kill him.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He goes to jail for 20 years.
(d) He rapes her again.
9. What does Bailey do for Joyce?
(a) steals food for her
(b) teaches her about boys
(c) teaches her to write
(d) teaches her to read
10. What does Mrs. Cullinan call Maya?
11. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
(a) that they are alive
(b) that they dislike their children
(c) that they live in Florida
(d) that they are rich
12. What happens to Maya and Bailey after the incident with Mr. Freedman?
(a) They are put in a boarding school.
(b) They are sent back to Stamps.
(c) They are put in a foster home.
(d) They are sent to their father's home.
13. What do the black men do for the big summer gathering?
(c) fish for bass
(d) hunt deer
14. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
(a) She is mean.
(b) She is too nosy.
(c) She is too educated.
(d) She is the ideal human being.
15. Where does Maya say a person's values and opinions are formed?
(a) on the job
(b) in church
(c) in school
(d) where the person grew up
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinces Maya as she is leaving that Mrs. Cullinan now knows her name?
2. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
3. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
4. What does Maya admire about Bailey?
5. How are the cotton pickers in the first chapter paid?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)