|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya wish when she reads books about heroes?
(a) that a hero would kill Mr. Freedman
(b) that she was a boy
(c) that she would be rescued
(d) that she was a princess
2. What does Uncle Willie do to punish mistakes in math that Maya makes?
(a) slaps her on the head
(b) sprays her with cold water
(c) does not give her dinner
(d) touches her fingers to the stove
3. Why do Maya and Bailey dislike the Reverend Thomas?
(a) He smells funny.
(b) He never remembers their names.
(c) He preaches too long.
(d) He pinches them on the cheek.
4. What does Maya think of her black skin?
(a) that it is ugly
(b) that it is strange
(c) that it does not mean anything
(d) that it is beautiful
5. What does Maya admire about Momma?
(a) her strength and power
(b) her beauty
(c) her wealth
(d) her intelligence
6. What do the neighbors ask the children about?
(a) their travels
(b) their schooling
(c) their mother
(d) their grandmother Baxter
7. Who is Reverend Howard Thomas?
(a) Momma's brother
(b) a presiding elder in the church
(c) Uncle Willie's friend
(d) the preacher on television
8. What does Maya find interesting about poor people's attitude towards God?
(a) They are angry at God.
(b) They praise God in spite of poverty.
(c) They attribute their situation to God's will.
(d) They think God will save them.
9. What does Mr. Freedman order Maya to do?
(a) read a book
(b) take off her clothes
(c) walk his dog
(d) go to school
10. Who becomes Maya's first girlfriend?
(a) Ruth Potter
(b) Louise Kendricks
(c) Susie Turner
(d) Millie Hanks
11. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
(a) She wets herself.
(b) She falls asleep in church.
(c) She hates the minister.
(d) She is afraid of God.
12. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She misses her friends.
(c) She hates the weather.
(d) she misses her grandmother.
13. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
(a) They need more jobs.
(b) They work too hard.
(c) They are always cut.
(d) They think the scales are weighted.
14. When Louis goes down temporarily how does it feel to the blacks?
(a) like their dreams were dead
(b) like slavery just got reenacted
(c) like another whipping or lynching
(d) like segregation is never going to end
15. What happens to Joyce?
(a) She runs away with a soldier.
(b) She dies.
(c) She runs away with a doctor.
(d) She runs away with a railroad porter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maya give Bailey a dime?
2. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
3. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
4. Where does Bailey build a hideaway?
5. What does Maya say about her senses following her troubles with Mr. Freedman?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)