|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya do with the first Valentine she ever receives?
(a) tears it up
(b) throws it away
(c) burns it
(d) presses it in a book
2. Who becomes Maya's first girlfriend?
(a) Ruth Potter
(b) Louise Kendricks
(c) Millie Hanks
(d) Susie Turner
3. What does Mrs. Flowers tell Maya about language?
(a) It is never clear what someone is saying.
(b) It does not matter how you talk.
(c) It is God's curse on humans.
(d) It is how man communicates.
4. What do the black women do for the yearly gathering in Stamps?
(c) sew costumes
5. Why do Maya and her brother go to live with their grandmother in Stamps?
(a) Their parents do not want them.
(b) Their parents divorce.
(c) Their parents are killed.
(d) Their mother is sick.
6. What does Maya tell Joyce?
(a) not to come to the store
(b) not to talk to her brother
(c) not to confuse her brother
(d) to go to church with them
7. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
(a) to friends' or family homes for a visit
(b) to bed
(c) to a revival
(d) to see fireworks
8. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
(a) They are always cut.
(b) They work too hard.
(c) They think the scales are weighted.
(d) They need more jobs.
9. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
(a) She wets herself.
(b) She hates the minister.
(c) She is afraid of God.
(d) She falls asleep in church.
10. Why do the children hope for a bloody victory?
(a) It will prove blacks are better than whites.
(b) The adults will let them stay up late.
(c) It is nice to hear of a white man getting bloody.
(d) The adults will give them candy.
11. Why does Maya give Bailey a dime?
(a) to get her candy
(b) to get her lipstick
(c) to go to the movies
(d) to buy a comic book
12. What does the young Maya think about white people?
(a) They smell funny.
(b) They are ungodly.
(c) They are dumb.
(d) They cannot be human.
13. What does Grandma Baxter do?
(a) She is a school teacher.
(b) She is a precinct captain.
(c) She is a dancer.
(d) She is a singer.
14. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
(a) that they live in Florida
(b) that they are alive
(c) that they are rich
(d) that they dislike their children
15. What makes Maya proud to be black for the first time?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Her Momma's store
(c) Graduating from school
(d) Mrs. Flowers
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya see between the preachers during the revival that she has never seen before?
2. When Louis goes down temporarily how does it feel to the blacks?
3. Why does Maya say she is so advanced in school?
4. What happens to Mr. Freedman after court?
5. What does Bailey do when someone insults Maya?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)