|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya decide to do after Mr. Freedman is stopped?
(a) go to college
(b) become a prostitute
(c) run away
(d) never speak to anyone again
2. Where do the children go when they leave Stamps?
(a) to their aunt's home
(b) to their mother's home
(c) they never leave Stamps
(d) to a foster home
3. As a young child who is Maya's favorite author?
4. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
(a) his or her life
(b) sounding stupid
(c) having to go to jail
(d) being made fun of
5. What does Maya think of Mrs. Flowers?
(a) She is mean.
(b) She is the ideal human being.
(c) She is too educated.
(d) She is too nosy.
6. Why do Maya and Momma hide Uncle Willie?
(a) They do not want Bailey to know where he is.
(b) They are playing.
(c) His ex-wife is looking for him.
(d) The whites are looking for a black man.
7. How many times has Momma been married?
8. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
(a) to a revival
(b) to see fireworks
(c) to bed
(d) to friends' or family homes for a visit
9. Why do the cotton pickers complain at the end of the day?
(a) They work too hard.
(b) They are always cut.
(c) They think the scales are weighted.
(d) They need more jobs.
10. Where do Bailey and Maya sit in church?
(a) in the choir loft
(b) the front row
(c) with the other children
(d) in the back
11. How does Maya get out of working for Mrs. Cullinan?
(a) She drops the good china.
(b) She breaks a window.
(c) She leaves mud on the table.
(d) She steals her jewlery.
12. How does Bailey get to Baton Rouge?
(a) hops a freight train
(b) drives Momma's car
(d) tales a bus
13. How does Maya see living in St. Louis?
(a) like being in a foreign country
(b) as calm and peaceful
(c) as sad and lonely
(d) as exciting
14. What do the neighbors ask the children about?
(a) their travels
(b) their schooling
(c) their grandmother Baxter
(d) their mother
15. What does Uncle Willie do to punish mistakes in math that Maya makes?
(a) sprays her with cold water
(b) slaps her on the head
(c) touches her fingers to the stove
(d) does not give her dinner
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandma Baxter do?
2. How does Maya feel once she is back in Stamps?
3. Why do some people who live farther away stay at Momma's after the fight?
4. What does the young Maya think about white people?
5. Where does Maya say a person's values and opinions are formed?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)