|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maya say about her senses following her troubles with Mr. Freedman?
(a) They are very sensitive.
(b) They are about the same.
(c) They wax and wane.
(d) Colors are muted and sounds are dull.
2. When Louis goes down temporarily how does it feel to the blacks?
(a) like another whipping or lynching
(b) like slavery just got reenacted
(c) like segregation is never going to end
(d) like their dreams were dead
3. What does Maya tell Joyce?
(a) not to come to the store
(b) not to talk to her brother
(c) not to confuse her brother
(d) to go to church with them
4. What does Maya find out about her parents when she receives Christmas presents from them?
(a) that they dislike their children
(b) that they are rich
(c) that they live in Florida
(d) that they are alive
5. What happens to Joyce?
(a) She runs away with a doctor.
(b) She dies.
(c) She runs away with a railroad porter.
(d) She runs away with a soldier.
6. What is a black person risking to speak to a white person, according to Momma?
(a) his or her life
(b) sounding stupid
(c) being made fun of
(d) having to go to jail
7. What does Grandma Baxter do?
(a) She is a school teacher.
(b) She is a precinct captain.
(c) She is a singer.
(d) She is a dancer.
8. What do Maya and her best friend call the language that they create?
9. Who gives the children peanut patties?
(a) The owner of the candy store
(b) Uncle Willie
(d) Mrs. Flowers
10. Why does Maya want to go back to Stamps?
(a) She misses her friends.
(b) She hates the weather.
(c) she misses her grandmother.
(d) She is frightened.
11. How does Maya see living in St. Louis?
(a) like being in a foreign country
(b) as sad and lonely
(c) as exciting
(d) as calm and peaceful
12. In Chapter 18, where do the cotton pickers go after eating dinner?
(a) to bed
(b) to see fireworks
(c) to a revival
(d) to friends' or family homes for a visit
13. Why do the blacks say it is fine for the whites to have money?
(a) The rich are lonely.
(b) The rich will burn in hell.
(c) Blacks have more love.
(d) God loves the black people.
14. Why have many black children never seen a white person in Stamps?
(a) The blacks do not go in the white section of town.
(b) The white people abuse black children.
(c) There are no white people in Stamps.
(d) Segregation is absolute.
15. Who are the fighters that the blacks are listening to during a match broadcast on the radio?
(a) Ali and Fraiser
(b) Carmicheal and Veal
(c) Robinson and Louis
(d) Carnera and Louis
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maya admire about Bailey?
2. Who does Maya speak to finally after spending time with Mrs. Flowers?
3. What does Bailey do for Joyce?
4. How does Maya feel once she is back in Stamps?
5. What makes Maya proud to be black for the first time?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)