Introduction | Chapter 1
1. How does Maya imagine herself when she is very young?
(a) as a super black model
(b) as a white man
(c) as a woman wearing furs and diamonds
(d) as a blonde with blue eyes
2. What does Maya think of her black skin?
(a) that it is ugly
(b) that it is strange
(c) that it is beautiful
(d) that it does not mean anything
3. Why does Maya run away from the church in the Introduction?
(a) She is afraid of God.
(b) She hates the minister.
(c) She wets herself.
(d) She falls asleep in church.
4. Why do Maya and her brother go to live with their grandmother in Stamps?
(a) Their parents are killed.
(b) Their mother is sick.
(c) Their parents do not want them.
(d) Their parents divorce.
5. How are the cotton pickers in the first chapter paid?
(a) by a company store credit
(b) by the weight of cotton they pick
(c) by the hour
(d) with food
This section contains 4,542 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)