Introduction | Chapter 1
* One Easter when Maya is a young girl, her grandmother makes her a yellow dress.
* She imagines herself to be a blonde movie star with blue eyes. When she wears the dress, she is disappointed to find she still looks the same.
* Marguerite (Maya), age three, and Bailey, age four, are traveling on a train to Stamps, Arkansas to live with their father's mother.
* Their grandmother runs a store she has owned for the past twenty-five years.
* During the cotton picking season, men gather at the store and wait for wagons to pick them up and take them out to the fields.
* Maya watches as the men complain of the scales that weigh the cotton being unfair and the poor pay of picking cotton.
Chapter 2 | Chapter 3
* Six-year-old Bailey and five-year-old Maya learn their times tables under their handicapped uncle's watchful eye.
* During this time, Maya falls...
This section contains 3,336 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)