|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When MLK's wife was refused the opportunity to speak to her husband after he was placed in jail, who did she call?
2. After MLK was stabbed in the department store, what hospital was he rushed to?
3. MLK states that a person would have come to a startling conclusion if they had visited Birmingham before what date?
4. When MLK and the other leaders returned to Birmingham after the run-off election, they tried to contact all their volunteers for a meeting. How many volunteers came out?
5. During the Montgomery bus boycott what else were the Negros doing besides boycotting buses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What phrase did Fred Shuttlesworth use to describe Albert Boutwell and why?
2. What happened to MLK while he was was at a Harlem department store signing copies of one of his books?
3. What does MLK state that Bull Connor prided himself in?
4. What did people have to do after they volunteered and walked up front to shake hands with the leaders of the campaign?
5. With the number of volunteers increasing after the boycott of Birmingham businesses, what other campaigns were the demonstrators able to accomplish?
6. What was George Wallace's inauguration vow?
7. In the days of slavery, how was suppression openly, scientifically, and consistently applied to the Negro population?
8. What are some of the words that John F. Kennedy uttered on June 11th, 1963?
9. How does MLK describe tokenism as thwarting the dreams of the Negro population's dreams and aspirations?
10. What kind of doctrine did the Negro ministers preach to their congregations about the fight for racial justice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After MLK and the other leaders had decided to lead a demonstration on April 12th, they received what type of bad news? What did this news do to the hopefulness of the leaders? Why was MLK told that he could not go to jail now? What did MLK think about when he was presented with this news? MLK states that he walked to another room by himself. He says, "I think I was standing also at the center of all that my life had brought me to be." What does he mean by these words? Why did MLK not back down after the bad news, and why did he decide that he would have to go to jail if needed?
Essay Topic 2
In this book there are times when the reader can learn interesting facts about things that they might not have known previously. What things in the book are educational, and what new things did you learn? Was there anything you learned that you had never heard of? If so, what was it? Were there particular things that you had heard of but learned about in more detail? If so, what things were they?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think MLK named the last chapter "The Days to Come"? What are some of the key points and events in this chapter? Who are some of the key individuals mentioned? What does MLK propose in his idea of a Bill of Rights for the Disadvantaged? Why does he think this idea would be the best solution?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)