|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to MLK in "The Sword That Heals," a southern state police officer is rarely punished for what?
(a) Not going to work.
(b) Abusing a Negro.
(c) Jailing an innocent man or woman.
(d) Sleeping on the job.
2. When MLK was autographing copies of his book in the Harlem department store, what was he stabbed with?
(a) A letter opener.
(b) A pointed stick.
(c) A razor blade.
(d) A pocket knife.
3. MLK states that "Undeniably, the Negro had been an object of sympathy and wore" what type of scars?
(a) Scars of a failed past.
(b) Scars of terrible skeletons in the closet.
(c) Scars of deep grievances.
(d) Scars of a remorseful upbringing.
4. In "The Negro Revolution - Why 1963," how many years have gone by when MLK states that humiliation cannot be expected to find "voice in a whisper"?
(a) Two hundred fifty.
(b) Three hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) One hundred.
5. In 1963, MLK states that the Negro dared to do what for the first time?
(a) Take their children on a march.
(b) Stand up for injustice.
(c) Talk back to a white man.
(d) Look back at a white man, eye to eye.
6. MLK mentions that the nation could not have been more amazed if what type of machines had turned human and stalked the lands?
7. During the time of slavery, Negroes were forbidden to associate with each other except in the case of what two things?
(a) Birthdays and funerals.
(b) Birthdays and weddings.
(c) Weddings and funerals.
(d) Funerals and celebrations.
8. What does MLK claim is the "sword that heals"?
(a) Civil Rights.
9. What was every volunteer in Birmingham required to sign?
(a) A Letter of Intent.
(b) A Peace Letter.
(c) A Commitment Card.
(d) A Pledge to March.
10. In MLK's description of the "armies" that were marching in Birmingham, who does he say that doctors marched with?
(c) Window cleaners.
11. When MLK's wife was refused the opportunity to speak to her husband after he was placed in jail, who did she call?
(a) The President of the United States.
(b) The city jail.
(c) Bull Connor.
(d) Arthur Shores.
12. MLK suggests that the Negro had been brainwashed to accept what white man's theory?
(a) That the white man would rule this land forever.
(b) That the Negro community did not know how to survive without the white man.
(c) That the Negros weren't educated enough to know what they wanted.
(d) That he, as a Negro, was inferior.
13. Who offered up their apartment for the revolution/campaign leaders to meet in in New York City?
(a) Wyatt Walker.
(b) Harry Wagner.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr.
14. When Mahatma Gandhi and his followers had faced the guns of the British Empire in India with nonviolence how many people did they free from colonialism?
(a) More than four hundred million.
(b) More than three hundred and fifty million
(c) More than five hundred million.
(d) More than four hundred and fifty million.
15. In "The Sword That Heals," MLK mentions that Negroes had to face the fact that in the South they have to move without what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The first requirement of a volunteer's pledge was to do what daily?
2. Who was MLK's executive assistant?
3. How many cities are mentioned to be in civil turmoil in the beginning of "The Negro Revolution-Why 1963"?
4. In "The Negro Revolution - Why 1963," MLK states that the nation had come to count on the Negro to endure how?
5. In 1963, who was the Vice President of the United States?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)