|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What continent will decline in population by 2050, according to the United Nations?
2. Which country does de Blij think that Americans should try to be particularly well-informed about?
3. Why did the volcano explosion in Sumatra affect Earth's climate?
4. What phase of Earth's geologic history are we in today?
5. What reason did Iraq give for invading Kuwait just before the first Gulf War?
Short Essay Questions
1. How widespread is the practice of cartography across cultures?
2. Why is it a problem for Europe's population to decline?
3. Explain why Earth's continents drift. What theory explains this process?
4. What was Europe like during the coldest part of the Little Ice Age?
5. What empires thrived during the Medieval Optimum?
6. What caused the "year without a summer"?
7. Explain what the climate has been like during Earth's current geologic period, the Pleistocene.
8. What kinds of tools do geographers need to know how to use?
9. What is the Exclusive Economic Zone?
10. How is measuring distances on a globe different from measuring distances on a map?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does de Blij agree with the U.S. decision to invade Iraq? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from Why Geography Matters.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the AIDS epidemic has affected Africa. At the same time, explain why Americans should be concerned about epidemics in other parts of the world.
Essay Topic 3
How did Chairman Mao Zedong change China? Does de Blij think that Mao changed China for the better? Why or why not?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)