|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which ocean does de Blij say is becoming the dominant world ocean?
2. What do geographers analyze using the gravity model?
3. How did Earth's Moon form?
4. What kind of map does not distort reality?
5. How long ago did the most recent global warming trend start?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the "year without a summer"?
2. How has the job market for geographers changed in recent years, according to de Blij?
3. Why should Americans care about worldwide population growth?
4. Why is it a problem for Europe's population to decline?
5. Explain why Earth's continents drift. What theory explains this process?
6. How do mass extinctions on Earth usually occur?
7. What is the difference between a large scale map and a small scale map?
8. How is measuring distances on a globe different from measuring distances on a map?
9. What kinds of tools do geographers need to know how to use?
10. Compare and contrast the populations of Europe and of sub-Saharan Africa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the theories put forward by geographers H.J. Mackinder and N.J. Spykman.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Europe and the United States contributed to Africa's decline in the modern age.
Essay Topic 3
How can maps reflect the biases of the cartographer(s)? How might politicians use maps to achieve their own goals?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)