|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do geographers mean when they use the abbreviation "B.P."?
2. How did colonial powers in Europe divide up the territory in Africa?
3. What continent will decline in population by 2050, according to the United Nations?
4. What caused the second Agricultural Revolution?
5. What does a geostationary satellite do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Europe like during the coldest part of the Little Ice Age?
2. How has the Moon's position in Earth's sky changed since Earth's early years?
3. How widespread is the practice of cartography across cultures?
4. What kinds of tools do geographers need to know how to use?
5. Why should Americans care about worldwide population growth?
6. What empires thrived during the Medieval Optimum?
7. How do mass extinctions on Earth usually occur?
8. Compare and contrast the populations of Europe and of sub-Saharan Africa.
9. Why does de Blij say that in 1995 it seemed as though the world could not possibly change any faster than it was currently changing?
10. How were the locations of colony boundaries in Africa determined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process that led to Afghanistan becoming a base for terrorists.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing Earth's geologic history. Be sure to include the formation of Earth, the formation of Earth's Moon, and periods of Ice Ages and interglacials.
Essay Topic 3
Does de Blij agree with the U.S. decision to invade Iraq? Why or why not? Support your answer with evidence from Why Geography Matters.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)