|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What historical event may have given rise to the stories in many cultures of a Great Flood?
(a) Seismic waves after the eruption of Thira.
(b) The flooding of the Black Sea area.
(c) The Postglacial Optimum.
(d) The Medieval Optimum.
2. What did scientists think was happening to the climate in the 1950s, when de Blij was in graduate school?
(a) Global warming.
(b) No change in climate.
(c) Global cooling.
(d) Global upheaval.
3. How far south did North American glaciers reach during the last Ice Age?
(a) As far south as the Great Lakes.
(b) As far south as the Equator.
(c) As far south as the Ohio River.
(d) As far south as the Gulf of Mexico.
4. What does de Blij say that the Snowball Earth theory explains?
(a) It explains why glaciers form during Ice Ages.
(b) It explains how Earth's oceans formed.
(c) It explains Earth's first deep freeze.
(d) It explains the extinction of the dinosaurs.
5. What kind of a map did Vladimir Koppen devise?
(a) A map that showed the movements of glaciers.
(b) A map that showed climate regions.
(c) A map that showed political boundaries.
(d) A map that showed lines of latitude and longitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of map does not distort reality?
2. What did Gilbert Grosvenor , the grandson of the National Geographic Society's 1950 president, do to improve geographic literacy in the United States?
3. Which of the following factors has the greatest effect on population growth?
4. What profession does de Blij say should include training in cartography?
5. When does de Blij say that geography began to decline in the United States?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)