|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements is the best description of Earth's geologic history?
(a) Earth is usually warm but has also had some short Ice Ages.
(b) Earth used to have a tropical climate and has gotten steadily more temperate.
(c) Earth has had several Ice Ages separated by shorter warm periods.
(d) Earth used to have a cold climate and has gotten steadily warmer.
2. What was Earth like during its first 800 million years?
(a) Earth was covered in ice.
(b) Earth had a temperate climate.
(c) Earth had warm and cool regions.
(d) Earth was very hot.
3. What were the first modern humans called?
(a) Homo erectus.
(d) Homo habilus.
4. In addition to population, what else does de Blij say will increase in the next century?
(a) Tax rates.
(b) Education levels.
(c) Infant mortality rates.
(d) The proportion of young people compared to old people.
5. What population problem is facing European countries?
(a) A high rate of immigration from other countries.
(b) A high ratio of retired to employed people.
(c) A high infant mortality rate.
(d) A high rate of population growth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will Earth's population in the year 2015 compare with Earth's population in "the year without a summer"?
2. What approach to foreign affairs is fostered by the decision not to teach geography in public schools?
3. What do geographers analyze using the gravity model?
4. As the world's population increases, where does de Blij say the increase in population will go to live?
5. What kind of map does not distort reality?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)