|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two inventions have done the most to increase life expectancy?
(a) The stethoscope and the hypodermic needle.
(b) Effective soap and the flushing toilet.
(c) The electrocardiogram and the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine.
(d) Electricity and electric lights.
2. Which of the following statements is the best description of Earth's geologic history?
(a) Earth has had several Ice Ages separated by shorter warm periods.
(b) Earth is usually warm but has also had some short Ice Ages.
(c) Earth used to have a cold climate and has gotten steadily warmer.
(d) Earth used to have a tropical climate and has gotten steadily more temperate.
3. How did Dr. John Snow use maps to save lives in London during the 19th century?
(a) He used them to plot new cases of cholera.
(b) He used them to teach firefighters to find their way around London.
(c) He used them to plot the locations of attacks during a crime wave.
(d) He used them to decide where to put streetlights.
4. What population problem is facing European countries?
(a) A high rate of immigration from other countries.
(b) A high ratio of retired to employed people.
(c) A high infant mortality rate.
(d) A high rate of population growth.
5. As the world's population increases, where does de Blij say the increase in population will go to live?
(a) To more temperate regions.
(b) To undeveloped countries.
(c) To developed countries.
(d) To urban areas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of location must be given in degrees, minutes, and seconds of longitude and latitude?
2. What had to happen before Earth's land masses could form?
3. What two countries were mixed up by President Nixon's staff?
4. How did the volcano explosion in Sumatra affect life on Earth?
5. What approach to foreign affairs is fostered by the decision not to teach geography in public schools?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)