|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In statistics and demography, what refers to a group of subjects who have shared a particular time together during a particular time span?
(b) Cohort group.
2. Tatum believes that self-segregation and declining academic achievement are the result of ___________.
(a) White power.
(b) Popular culture.
(c) An environment where blacks are dominant.
(d) A post-desegregation phenomenon.
3. What refers to the state of being withdrawn or isolated from the objective world, as through indifference or disaffection?
4. What does Tatum define as a system of advantage based on race which restricts access to power and privilege?
5. What refers to an affective state of consciousness in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced, as distinguished from cognitive and volitional states of consciousness?
6. Beverly Daniel Tatum earned her PhD in clinical psychology from which university?
(a) The University of Michigan.
(b) The CUNY Graduate Center.
(c) Boston College.
(d) Hartford Seminary.
7. What month is designated as Black History Month in the United States?
8. Part II, Understanding Blackness in a White Context, Chapter 4, Identity Development in Adolescence begins with a discussion of why black children seem to regularly do what?
(a) Prefer bicycles over skateboards.
(b) Play basketball together at recess.
(c) Answer test questions the same.
(d) Sit together at lunch.
9. Tatum writes in Part I, A Definition of Terms, Chapter 2, The Complexity of Identity, that our attention is naturally drawn to those parts of ourselves that ______________.
(a) Are most in need.
(b) Are least in need.
(c) Nobody can see.
(d) Others notice.
10. Why did Tatum's son assume a black boy was running down the street in an example given in Part II, Understanding Blackness in a White Context, Chapter 3?
(a) He was late for work.
(b) He had stabbed somebody.
(c) The cops were chasing him.
(d) He had stolen something.
11. What is the first of Erik Erikson's life-stage virtues which is comprised of the first year of infancy?
12. The first African slaves were brought to Jamestown, Virginia in what year?
13. What groups benefit from systems of racism (and other isms), according to the author?
(a) Radical groups.
(b) Political groups.
(c) Fringe groups.
(d) Dominant groups.
14. Beverly Daniel Tatum received her B.A. in psychology from which institution?
(a) The University of Michigan.
(b) Hartford Seminary.
(c) Wesleyan University.
(d) The CUNY Graduate Center.
15. What refers to the portion of American history that specifically discusses the African American or Black American ethnic group in the United States?
(a) African-American history.
(b) Cohesive physics.
(c) Modern civilization.
(d) Postmodern psychology.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fifth stage of William E. Cross, Jr.'s theory of Nigrescence?
2. Tatum writes in Part II, Understanding Blackness in a White Context, Chapter 3 that at very young ages, children are often confused by the color language due to their encounters with what?
3. What was the ratio of black men to women at the university Tatum attended in Part II, Understanding Blackness in a White Context, Chapter 5, Racial Identity in Adulthood?
4. What is the first stage of William E. Cross, Jr.'s theory of Nigrescence?
5. What word means lacking the normal or usual necessities and comforts of life, as proper housing, educational opportunities, job security, adequate medical care, etc.?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)