|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based?
2. The author writes in Part II, Understanding Blackness in a White Context, Chapter 4, Identity Development in Adolescence that the blacks who remain academically successful need a strategy to be accepted by whites, so they act in what manner?
(b) Like asian people.
(c) Like white people.
3. What refers to a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group?
4. Tatum believes that self-segregation and declining academic achievement are the result of ___________.
(a) White power.
(b) An environment where blacks are dominant.
(c) Popular culture.
(d) A post-desegregation phenomenon.
5. In statistics and demography, what refers to a group of subjects who have shared a particular time together during a particular time span?
(a) Cohort group.
6. Erik Erikson is most famous for having coined what phrase?
(a) "Identity crisis."
(b) "Racial bias."
(d) "Race identity."
7. What month is designated as Black History Month in the United States?
8. What means of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong?
9. When did Erik Erikson die?
10. What refers to that which is placed in or belonging to a lower order or rank?
11. According to the author in Part I, A Definition of Terms, Chapter 2, The Complexity of Identity, identity is constructed out of two co-evolving processes of observation of the behavior of others and what?
(a) An understanding of history.
(b) Influence of environment.
(c) Personal reflection.
12. What refers to a personally offensive act or word; deliberate act or display of disrespect?
13. What refers to an elite group of people whose progress is based on ability and talent rather than on class, privilege, or wealth?
14. In Part I, A Definition of Terms, Chapter 1, Defining Racism, Tatum claims that while people of color can be prejudiced against whites, they are not racist in the technical sense of the term because they do not what?
(a) Pass on thier beliefs.
(b) Acknowledge racism.
(c) Benefit from racism.
(d) Truly believe their prejudices.
15. Oppositional identities interfere with what, according to the author in Part II, Understanding Blackness in a White Context, Chapter 4, Identity Development in Adolescence?
(b) Sexual development.
(c) Workplace relationships.
(d) Raising children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a suspension of activity?
2. According to the author, the main source of self-segregation seems to arise during what developmental stage?
3. What refers to a person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency?
4. What refers to the practice or policy of creating separate facilities within the same society for the use of a minority group?
5. Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 is commonly known as what?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)