|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter feel guilty about in Chapter 7?
2. Where did Freke put Levy's body immediately after Freke killed him?
3. What does Peter doubt in Chapter 12?
4. What does Peter fear will happen if Parker leaves the house in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Freke's letter end mid-sentence in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter do once he believes he has identified the killer in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Peter feel guilty about his role in the investigations in Chapter 7?
3. What does Milligan say about how things would be different in the United States in Chapter 7?
4. What does Peter find that his mother has realized upon his arrival at the lunch in Chapter 7?
5. Why did Freke put glasses on the body?
6. How does Peter initially deal with the lunch with Lady Swaffham in Chapter 7?
7. What does Peter talk to a mother and her little girl about at Freke's office in Chapter 11?
8. How does Peter suggest Freke committed the murder of Reuben Levy in Chapter 10?
9. What do Peter, Parker, the Dowager, and others do at the cemetery in Chapter 12?
10. Why does Peter ask his mother to return with him to London in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Why might Peter or the other investigators have suspected them of murder at times? What motives could these characters have had for murder? Which characters bring a comedic element to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the evidence surrounding the murdered victim in the bathtub and the disappearance of Levy. Describe the different crime scenes. What are the circumstances surrounding these examples? How do these situations propel the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and describe the background and career of Dorothy L. Sayers, the author of the novel. What are some of her more famous works? Does she always write in the mystery genre? Was she recognized in the literary world during her lifetime?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)