|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the servant Gladys' surname?
2. When the doorbell rings, what sort of person is the only one Peter asks his manservant to let in?
3. Who is the first arrested in connection with the dead man's murder?
4. Who informed the police that Thipps actually came home just before midnight?
5. Who has locked the bathroom door?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, based on the evidence found at Levy's home, what do Peter and Parker deduce happened the night before Levy's disappearance was discovered?
2. At the inquest, what does Thipps explain he did on the night before the body appeared in his bathroom?
3. What happens when Peter voices a wish to be more involved with the investigation of the dead man in the bathtub?
4. How do Peter and Parker conclude that the body in the bathtub is not Reuben Levy?
5. How is the body discovered to have been moved into the bathroom in Chapter 4?
6. At the inquest, what does the servant Gladys admit she did on the night before the body appeared in the Thipps' bathroom?
7. Where is Lord Peter Wimsey at the beginning of the novel, and why does he find he needs to return home?
8. What does Peter do to help Mrs. Thipps' situation in Chapter 3?
9. What is characteristic of a set of fingerprints found in Levy's house in Chapter 5?
10. What motive does Peter think Milligan could have for harming Levy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sayers' use of foreshadowing in the novel "Whose Body?" What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? What do these examples foreshadow? How do these examples affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Lord Peter Wimsey. What are his defining characteristics? What are his interests and hobbies? Why is he interested in murder mysteries?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of mystery in the novel "Whose Body?" What are some examples of mystery in the novel? What examples does Peter solve as the novel progresses? Does he share his discoveries with the reader? Why or why not?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)