|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With no one offering to help Mrs. Thipps, where does Peter take her?
2. Why does Milligan agree to see Peter?
3. What is the servant Gladys' surname?
4. What does Mr. Thipps say he was unaware of when he testifies at the inquest?
5. According to Parker's findings, how did the body get into the bathroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Doctors Freke and Grimbold disagree about at the inquest in Chapter 6?
2. What is characteristic of a set of fingerprints found in Levy's house in Chapter 5?
3. How does Thipps explain the bruise on his face in Chapter 1?
4. Explain the disappearance case Parker is working on in Chapter 2, and some of the observations he has made.
5. What does Parker find written in Levy's diary in Chapter 5, and to whom do he and Peter assume Levy is referring?
6. What does Parker say in Chapter 5 when Peter compares the prints at Levy's house to the ones at Thipps' apartment?
7. Why does Peter suggest that the killer is smart and cool under pressure?
8. Whom does Peter wish to avoid when he first goes to Thipps' apartment?
9. At the inquest, what does the servant Gladys admit she did on the night before the body appeared in the Thipps' bathroom?
10. What does Peter do to help Mrs. Thipps' situation in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sayers' use of humor in the novel. What kind of humor does she use? What does Sayers' poke fun at? What are some examples of Sayers' use of humor during darker moments? Why might Sayers have decided to use humor at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Lord Peter Wimsey is an example of the gentleman detection archetype. What are the traits of this archetype? Why is Peter an example of this archetype? What other famous characters are also examples of this archetype?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Peter and his mother. What are his mother's defining character traits? Do Peter and his mother get along? Does Peter's mother know about his sleuthing? If so, what does she think about it?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)