|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ressler learned later that the governor of ________ had commuted Samples' sentence, so he came in to help.
2. Who miraculously survived the attack by Duane and ran to the neighbors for help?
3. The killer, in his staging, said that he would kill a ___________ until the police were able to solve the murder.
4. What was Duane Samples' job?
5. A _________ who was a serial killer was apprehended because of the new system, according to the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. How would Harvey Glatman find his victims, according to the book?
2. What did Ressler point out to Yorkshire police when he listened to the tape of the killer?
3. Why does Duane and his legal team want the sentence commuted?
4. Why are some killers able to pass polygraph tests, even though they are guilty of their crimes?
5. What are stranger crimes which seemed to be on the rise after 1980?
6. Why did many crime fighting units not feel that profiling was helpful in investigations?
7. What is unique about the Dahmer cases, according to Ressler's findings?
8. What was the act of staging that Ressler pointed out to the local officials?
9. Who does Ressler arrange to have available during a seminar for his new crime fighting unit?
10. What happened during a seminar that Ressler was giving on Rissell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During his time at BSU, Ressler studied killers who seemed to enjoy the act of killing others.
Part 1: Why do you think some serial killers appear to enjoy killing their victims?
Part 2: How do you think a person can begin to enjoy the act of killing others? Or, is it inherent in their personality?
Part 3: Do you think that you could ever change into a person who would enjoy killing others?
Essay Topic 2
Many serial killers share the trait of having dysfunctional family backgrounds.
Part 1: How do you think one's upbringing could cause a person to become a serial killer?
Part 2: How do you explain the idea that some people from imperfect family backgrounds do not go out and kill people?
Part 3: Do you think all families have some sort of dysfunction?
Essay Topic 3
Many serial killers have had unhealthy relationships with their mothers, which is said to lead to their actions.
Part 1: Why do you think the mother and son relationship is so important?
Part 2: How does the relationship with your mother affect you in your life?
Part 3: What might happen to you if you had a mother who was distant your entire life?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)