|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ressler suspected that the killer was someone who was local and liked to read ________________.
2. In the first section, what was the nickname of the killer?
3. Ressler decided that the murderer had to be involved with children in some way, maybe even a _____________.
4. What had the killer used during the murders that fascinated Ressler when he was growing up?
5. What did the FBI shut down once they realized Ressler was performing these, although he was later given permission again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the physical symptoms that agents involved in the interview experienced?
2. What was the educational and training background of Ressler, as described in the book?
3. What was found several blocks away after the murder of a family of three as well as their baby?
4. What happens to many serial killers as they grow up in an isolated world?
5. Why did Ressler come up with the terms 'organized' and 'disorganized' when it came to describing killers?
6. What are some of the characteristics of a disorganized killer, according to Ressler?
7. What did Gerard Schaefer do as an organized killer in order to perpetuate his crimes?
8. What were the details of the case that led Ressler, as a child, to become interested in crime solving?
9. What is the question that Ressler wrestled with when talking to murderers?
10. What does the case of John Joubert IV reveal about his drive to kill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ressler decides that interviewing as many serial killers as possible is the way to find out more about profiling them.
Part 1: Do you think that interviews are the best way to find out more about a killer?
Part 2: Why do you think so many serial killers seem to share the same characteristics?
Part 3: How do you think Ressler could collect information about a killer from an interview?
Essay Topic 2
It is found that serial killers often create fantasy worlds in which they live, eventually isolating themselves from reality.
Part 1: Why do you think serial killers want to create a fantasy world?
Part 2: Do you think that serial killers are able to find reality again?
Part 3: If it is possible to bring serial killers back to reality, would this cure them of their need to kill?
Essay Topic 3
Many serial killers have had unhealthy relationships with their mothers, which is said to lead to their actions.
Part 1: Why do you think the mother and son relationship is so important?
Part 2: How does the relationship with your mother affect you in your life?
Part 3: What might happen to you if you had a mother who was distant your entire life?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)