|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mack argue Mark's gospel was written?
2. What does Mack claim the author of Acts found, in terms of an answer to what Christianity owed to Jewish history?
3. What does Mack claim about Justin's treatise to the Jews?
4. What does Mack say about the letter of Jude?
5. Who was the first of this group to attack centrist Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the four ways of reading the scripture that supported the Christian inclusion of Jewish scripture in their religion?
2. How does the Gospel of John differ from that of Mark?
3. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
4. What are the three concerns underlying the treatise to the Hebrews?
5. Explain the conversion of Constantine, and why it was pivotal in the creation of the Bible.
6. What are the three themes that dominate the story of Jesus and his resurrection in the Gospel of Luke?
7. Explain the observations Mack claims are important about Mark's use of the pronouncement stories.
8. What two values are integrated in the Letters of Ignatius, and what is the result?
9. What is Mack's argument about why John wrote Revelations?
10. What evidence does Mack put forth that the attempts to move into mainstream Christianity worked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
Essay Topic 2
List and discuss the three layers of the Gospel of Q. be sure to describe each in detail, and explain both what they describe, as well as their historical impact. Why was each written? What does each discuss? What are the seven blocks of Q1? Why are they called the Gospel of Q? How do the Q Gospels compare to the statements of the Cynics? What was added with Q3?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two of the following Gospels. Be sure to include the time of the writing, the location, the portrayal of Jesus, the use of other documents to form a basis, and the individual additions of each author to the main story line. How are the two similar, and how are they different?
• The Gospel of Mark
• The Gospel of Matthew
• The Gospel of Luke
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)