|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack say about the letter of Jude?
2. What does Mack claim is Mark's greatest achievement?
3. In Revelations, who was found worthy enough to open the seven seals?
4. Who does Mack claim most of the sermons in the Acts of the Apostles are written for?
5. What is contained in 1 Clement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the conversion of Constantine, and why it was pivotal in the creation of the Bible.
2. What are the three concerns underlying the treatise to the Hebrews?
3. What two strong desires drove Christianity?
4. What are the three themes that dominate the story of Jesus and his resurrection in the Gospel of Luke?
5. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
6. What were the four ways of reading the scripture that supported the Christian inclusion of Jewish scripture in their religion?
7. What were the two key arguments that the centrists tried to use against the non-centrist positions of Valentinus and Marcion?
8. What does Mack say about the "overwhelming concern" in the Didache about the practice of alms, gift giving, and supporting those who ask for hand outs?
9. What are the four types of miracle interpretation occurring in the Gospel of John?
10. How does the Gospel of John differ from that of Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the ideas of Marcion of Sinope to the ideas of Valentinus. Who were these individuals? What were their arguments against the centrist concept of Christianity? How do their arguments differ? How are they similar? Combined, how did their ideas influence the rest of the world? How did their ideas lead to the concept that the Jewish scriptures were "really" about Christians?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the three ways in which Paul fought the super apostles at Corinth. Be sure to include all three of his arguments, including the idea of an old and new covenant, the Adam-Jesus comparison, and the use of allegory to turn the old covenant into the story of Christ. How did Paul use each of these arguments? What were the arguments? Be sure to include details from the book to explain the arguments, and to support them.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the response of the Jews to the destruction of the second-temple establishment in Jerusalem to that of the Christians. How did each side react, and why? What similarities are there, and what differences? What accounts for any similar responses? What accounts for their differences? Why did each side respond as they did?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)