|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did early Christians think of their world?
2. What does the gospel of Matthew argue Jesus' teachings were based on?
3. Who does Mack argue at the end of Chapter 8 became the beloved disciple?
4. Whose conversion eventually led to the creation of the New Testament?
5. Why did the literature that the early bishops threw out survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three themes that dominate the story of Jesus and his resurrection in the Gospel of Luke?
2. What evidence does Mack put forth that the attempts to move into mainstream Christianity worked?
3. Describe Mack's observations about James as an author in the first three centuries.
4. What are the standard writing conventions used in the Acts of the Apostles?
5. What two strong desires drove Christianity?
6. What were the four ways of reading the scripture that supported the Christian inclusion of Jewish scripture in their religion?
7. What does Mack say about the "overwhelming concern" in the Didache about the practice of alms, gift giving, and supporting those who ask for hand outs?
8. Explain the conversion of Constantine, and why it was pivotal in the creation of the Bible.
9. What were the two key arguments that the centrists tried to use against the non-centrist positions of Valentinus and Marcion?
10. What are the three concerns underlying the treatise to the Hebrews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List and discuss the three layers of the Gospel of Q. be sure to describe each in detail, and explain both what they describe, as well as their historical impact. Why was each written? What does each discuss? What are the seven blocks of Q1? Why are they called the Gospel of Q? How do the Q Gospels compare to the statements of the Cynics? What was added with Q3?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the cultures of the Greco-Roman times in the Eastern Mediterranean, as explained by Mack in Chapter 1. Be sure to include concepts of the Jewish temple-state, the Greek city-state, and the Roman republic. What were the similarities of these groups? What were the differences? How did these cultural clashes help to form a breeding ground for new social ideas and experiments? What types of social experiments were done? How did these contribute to the creation of a new society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the five Jesus groups listed below and discuss their characteristics, and the primary teachings their movement brings forth. Be sure to include what they believed, and why, as well as their primary influence on the concept of Jesus and society in general.
-Community of Q
-True Disciples of the Gospel of Thomas
-Congregation of Israel
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)