|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What collection of early Christian texts does the Didache now belong to?
2. What does Mack believe the authors intended to convey by having Peter and James defend Paul's ideas about Jewish law?
3. What does Mack call the Christian myth, in terms of its completion?
4. When do scholars place the writing of the Gospel of John?
5. Who first discussed the twelve disciples?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the standard writing conventions used in the Acts of the Apostles?
2. Explain the conversion of Constantine, and why it was pivotal in the creation of the Bible.
3. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
4. What evidence does Mack put forth that the attempts to move into mainstream Christianity worked?
5. Explain the observations Mack claims are important about Mark's use of the pronouncement stories.
6. What are the major points of the sermons contained in the Acts, according to Mack?
7. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
8. What did the Jewish scripture available to early Christians consist of?
9. What are the three concerns underlying the treatise to the Hebrews?
10. What are the three themes that dominate the story of Jesus and his resurrection in the Gospel of Luke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the three ways in which Paul fought the super apostles at Corinth. Be sure to include all three of his arguments, including the idea of an old and new covenant, the Adam-Jesus comparison, and the use of allegory to turn the old covenant into the story of Christ. How did Paul use each of these arguments? What were the arguments? Be sure to include details from the book to explain the arguments, and to support them.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the five Jesus groups listed below and discuss their characteristics, and the primary teachings their movement brings forth. Be sure to include what they believed, and why, as well as their primary influence on the concept of Jesus and society in general.
-Community of Q
-True Disciples of the Gospel of Thomas
-Congregation of Israel
Essay Topic 3
Describe why Mack believes his book can help view Christianity in a new way, and what he fantasizes about in terms of an honest discussion of the Bible, and Christianity as a whole. What does he think we should do, in terms of religion? Why does he think his book can help humanity begin to question Christianity as a source for social order? Do you agree? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)