|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack believe the authors intended to convey by having Peter and James defend Paul's ideas about Jewish law?
2. What did Clement argue about the "new song" of Christianity?
3. What did the temple at Jerusalem serve as, in terms of a symbol?
4. What does Mack call the Christian myth, in terms of its completion?
5. Where did Justin claim the Greek philosophers received their wisdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three themes that dominate the story of Jesus and his resurrection in the Gospel of Luke?
2. What are the significant differences between the Pauline and Johannine traditions, as discussed by Mack in chapter 8?
3. What are the three concerns underlying the treatise to the Hebrews?
4. Explain Mack's discussion of when the Epistles of Peter and Jude were written. What references does he use to attempt to date the pieces?
5. What does Mack say about the "overwhelming concern" in the Didache about the practice of alms, gift giving, and supporting those who ask for hand outs?
6. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
7. Describe Matthew's depiction of Jesus.
8. What did the Jewish scripture available to early Christians consist of?
9. What was Valentinus' story of the tragedy of the birth of the world?
10. What are the major points of the sermons contained in the Acts, according to Mack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the response of the Jews to the destruction of the second-temple establishment in Jerusalem to that of the Christians. How did each side react, and why? What similarities are there, and what differences? What accounts for any similar responses? What accounts for their differences? Why did each side respond as they did?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Acts of the Apostles, in detail. What was the point of this document? Who is believed to be the author? When was it written? What stories are contained within the Acts, and what is their purpose to modern Christianity? What literary styles did the author use to create a cohesive history of gospel cohesiveness? What did the speeches within Acts attempt to convey, and were they successful? How did Acts relate to Judaism? Be sure to include information contained in the book in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)