|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the time of the writing of Revelations, what does Mack argue the Christians were being accused of by the Romans?
2. What is contained in 1 Clement?
3. When does Mack claim most of the works discussed in Chapter 8 were written?
4. What does Mark's gospel do to the disciples that the story of Q did not?
5. What did Justin say about the treatment of the Jews by God, in terms of the fall of the temple and the diaspora?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four types of miracle interpretation occurring in the Gospel of John?
2. What is Mack's argument about why John wrote Revelations?
3. What are the three themes that dominate the story of Jesus and his resurrection in the Gospel of Luke?
4. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
5. What did the Jewish scripture available to early Christians consist of?
6. What two values are integrated in the Letters of Ignatius, and what is the result?
7. What evidence does Mack put forth that the attempts to move into mainstream Christianity worked?
8. Explain Mack's discussion of when the Epistles of Peter and Jude were written. What references does he use to attempt to date the pieces?
9. Describe Mack's observations about James as an author in the first three centuries.
10. What does Mack say about the "overwhelming concern" in the Didache about the practice of alms, gift giving, and supporting those who ask for hand outs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List and discuss the three layers of the Gospel of Q. be sure to describe each in detail, and explain both what they describe, as well as their historical impact. Why was each written? What does each discuss? What are the seven blocks of Q1? Why are they called the Gospel of Q? How do the Q Gospels compare to the statements of the Cynics? What was added with Q3?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss, in depth, the three concerns written about in the treatise that is the Epistle to the Hebrews. What three concerns does the author either discuss openly, or imply? Why were these particular concerns? What had happened in society that caused these concerns? How did the letter address these concerns? How are these concerns interrelated, according to Mack? What does Mack claim this shows the author was trying to do? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
List and discuss the four "proofs" from scripture that support the idea that the history of Israel can be read as the story of the Christian God. What are the four points? What do they mean? How do they tie together to create the idea of a scripture that supports the Christian God, rather than a Jewish God? Be sure to mention concepts such as the spirit of prophesy, the logos, and the idea that the history of Israel did not end with the Jews.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)