|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term replaced "disciples"?
2. What collection of early Christian texts does the Didache now belong to?
3. How does John portray Jesus, according to Mack?
4. What is contained in 1 Clement?
5. What does Mack claim about Justin's treatise to the Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mack's argument about why John wrote Revelations?
2. What are the three concerns underlying the treatise to the Hebrews?
3. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
4. What two values are integrated in the Letters of Ignatius, and what is the result?
5. What were the two key arguments that the centrists tried to use against the non-centrist positions of Valentinus and Marcion?
6. Explain Mack's discussion of when the Epistles of Peter and Jude were written. What references does he use to attempt to date the pieces?
7. Describe Matthew's depiction of Jesus.
8. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
9. Explain the conversion of Constantine, and why it was pivotal in the creation of the Bible.
10. What did the Jewish scripture available to early Christians consist of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the response of the Jews to the destruction of the second-temple establishment in Jerusalem to that of the Christians. How did each side react, and why? What similarities are there, and what differences? What accounts for any similar responses? What accounts for their differences? Why did each side respond as they did?
Essay Topic 2
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, the mythologies that were used to provide the logic for the concept of Jesus' death and resurrection. Be sure to include information about the Greek myth of noble death, the Jewish concepts of martyrdom, the Jewish myth of the persecuted sage, examples of each, and how these myths tied into the Christ cult's concept of the death and resurrection.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)