|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack argue the Gospel of Matthew is a document for?
2. What does Mack claim is the point of the Letter of James?
3. How many miracles occur in the Gospel of John?
4. Who began to give an account of the new religion to Greeks, Romans, and others?
5. What does Mack believe the authors intended to convey by having Peter and James defend Paul's ideas about Jewish law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
2. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
3. What two values are integrated in the Letters of Ignatius, and what is the result?
4. Describe Matthew's depiction of Jesus.
5. What are the three concerns underlying the treatise to the Hebrews?
6. Explain Mack's discussion of when the Epistles of Peter and Jude were written. What references does he use to attempt to date the pieces?
7. What was Marcion of Sinope's logic, in terms of his views of two Gods, and what to do about the Jewish contamination in the gospels?
8. Explain the conversion of Constantine, and why it was pivotal in the creation of the Bible.
9. Describe Mack's observations about James as an author in the first three centuries.
10. How does the Gospel of John differ from that of Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Didache, in detail. What is it? Where was it located? What is it a part of, and why? What does it contain? What features does Mack note are of particular interest? How does the Didache relate to Judaism? Why is this important to understanding the state of Christianity in the early second century?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Acts of the Apostles, in detail. What was the point of this document? Who is believed to be the author? When was it written? What stories are contained within the Acts, and what is their purpose to modern Christianity? What literary styles did the author use to create a cohesive history of gospel cohesiveness? What did the speeches within Acts attempt to convey, and were they successful? How did Acts relate to Judaism? Be sure to include information contained in the book in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, the mythologies that were used to provide the logic for the concept of Jesus' death and resurrection. Be sure to include information about the Greek myth of noble death, the Jewish concepts of martyrdom, the Jewish myth of the persecuted sage, examples of each, and how these myths tied into the Christ cult's concept of the death and resurrection.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)