|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Clement argue about the "new song" of Christianity?
2. What does Mack argue John was worried about, which resulted in his authorship of Revelations?
3. What does Mack claim is the point of the Letter of James?
4. Who does Mack claim most of the sermons in the Acts of the Apostles are written for?
5. How did Luke portray Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mack's discussion of when the Epistles of Peter and Jude were written. What references does he use to attempt to date the pieces?
2. What are the significant differences between the Pauline and Johannine traditions, as discussed by Mack in chapter 8?
3. What are the three themes that dominate the story of Jesus and his resurrection in the Gospel of Luke?
4. What two values are integrated in the Letters of Ignatius, and what is the result?
5. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
6. Describe Matthew's depiction of Jesus.
7. What does Mack say about the "overwhelming concern" in the Didache about the practice of alms, gift giving, and supporting those who ask for hand outs?
8. What are the major points of the sermons contained in the Acts, according to Mack?
9. What did the Jewish scripture available to early Christians consist of?
10. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, Paul's letters to the Romans. Why did it differ from other letters? How does Paul explain the human problem that the gospel answers? How does he describe the Christ myth? What does he say about the resurrection? How did Paul tie in the Greek concept of self control? How did he change the view of apocalypse to fit the Greek concept?
Essay Topic 2
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Didache, in detail. What is it? Where was it located? What is it a part of, and why? What does it contain? What features does Mack note are of particular interest? How does the Didache relate to Judaism? Why is this important to understanding the state of Christianity in the early second century?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)