|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mack claim most of the sermons in the Acts of the Apostles are written for?
2. How does John portray Jesus, according to Mack?
3. What does Mack argue the Letter to the Hebrews is, in reality?
4. In Revelations, who was found worthy enough to open the seven seals?
5. What is Ignatius' second appeal in his letters to the churches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the observations Mack claims are important about Mark's use of the pronouncement stories.
2. What did the Jewish scripture available to early Christians consist of?
3. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
4. What are the three themes that dominate the story of Jesus and his resurrection in the Gospel of Luke?
5. What are the four types of miracle interpretation occurring in the Gospel of John?
6. What are the standard writing conventions used in the Acts of the Apostles?
7. What is Mack's argument about why John wrote Revelations?
8. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
9. What are the significant differences between the Pauline and Johannine traditions, as discussed by Mack in chapter 8?
10. What are the three concerns underlying the treatise to the Hebrews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the cultures of the Greco-Roman times in the Eastern Mediterranean, as explained by Mack in Chapter 1. Be sure to include concepts of the Jewish temple-state, the Greek city-state, and the Roman republic. What were the similarities of these groups? What were the differences? How did these cultural clashes help to form a breeding ground for new social ideas and experiments? What types of social experiments were done? How did these contribute to the creation of a new society?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the response of the Jews to the destruction of the second-temple establishment in Jerusalem to that of the Christians. How did each side react, and why? What similarities are there, and what differences? What accounts for any similar responses? What accounts for their differences? Why did each side respond as they did?
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)