|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the layers of Q is least embellished?
2. Who were the Judaizers?
3. What role did women play in associations?
4. What is contained in the Gospel of Thomas?
5. What does Mack claim was the slogan for Paul's gospel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
2. What was Valentinus' story of the tragedy of the birth of the world?
3. What are the four types of material within the letters to the Corinthians?
4. What are the four types of miracle interpretation occurring in the Gospel of John?
5. Describe the concept of the polis.
6. What is the third Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
7. What were the three ideas that groups gathered around that resulted in the Jesus movements?
8. What are the standard writing conventions used in the Acts of the Apostles?
9. Explain the findings of Carsten Thiede, Mack's response, and what this argument shows.
10. Explain Paul's concept of the spiritual body.
Essay Topic 1
Describe the three ways in which Paul fought the super apostles at Corinth. Be sure to include all three of his arguments, including the idea of an old and new covenant, the Adam-Jesus comparison, and the use of allegory to turn the old covenant into the story of Christ. How did Paul use each of these arguments? What were the arguments? Be sure to include details from the book to explain the arguments, and to support them.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the conversion of Constantine led to the development of the Christian Bible. Who was Constantine? Why did his position in the Roman empire matter? What did he set out to do? What three events does Mack credit to the creation of the Christian Bible? What does he say about Augustus' role in Josephs list? What does he say about the Letter of Athenasius? How did the list of Eusebius play a role?
Essay Topic 3
List and discuss the three layers of the Gospel of Q. be sure to describe each in detail, and explain both what they describe, as well as their historical impact. Why was each written? What does each discuss? What are the seven blocks of Q1? Why are they called the Gospel of Q? How do the Q Gospels compare to the statements of the Cynics? What was added with Q3?
This section contains 2,454 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)