|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack claim is the purpose of the Miracle Stories of Mark?
2. Why does Mack claim Columbus studied the Bible?
3. What do the pillars in the Jerusalem group do that other Jesus movements do not?
4. What did the Christ hymn imply about the domain of Jesus?
5. What happened at Corinth that made Paul nervous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four types of material within the letters to the Corinthians?
2. What is the fourth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
3. Explain why social tension began to mount within the new mixed society of Greco-Roman times, and how these groups tried to keep their culture.
4. Explain the findings of Carsten Thiede, Mack's response, and what this argument shows.
5. What were Paul's arguments against the concept that Christians had to follow Jewish law, if they were claiming to be Jewish?
6. Describe the temple-state.
7. Describe the concept of the polis.
8. What is the catch-22 Mack finds when discussing the New Testament and the origins of the Christian Church?
9. Explain why Paul is so important to views of Christianity, according to Mack.
10. What three factors surfaced as questions to answer that would help the different culture's relate to one another, and why were they important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss, in depth, the three concerns written about in the treatise that is the Epistle to the Hebrews. What three concerns does the author either discuss openly, or imply? Why were these particular concerns? What had happened in society that caused these concerns? How did the letter address these concerns? How are these concerns interrelated, according to Mack? What does Mack claim this shows the author was trying to do? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the five Jesus groups listed below and discuss their characteristics, and the primary teachings their movement brings forth. Be sure to include what they believed, and why, as well as their primary influence on the concept of Jesus and society in general.
-Community of Q
-True Disciples of the Gospel of Thomas
-Congregation of Israel
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)