|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are sophists?
2. What does Mack suggest the taking up of residence in Jerusalem signifies for the group?
3. What does Mack claim about the various groups that formed in the schools of Jesus?
4. What does Mack claim is the reason for the many portrayals of Jesus?
5. Why does Mack claim Columbus studied the Bible?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mack's view of how the writings of the New Testament were chosen, and why these choices created centrist Christianity.
2. Describe the temple-state.
3. What three factors surfaced as questions to answer that would help the different culture's relate to one another, and why were they important?
4. What myths did the concept of the death and resurrection of Christ draw upon?
5. Explain why Mack believes Galilee was the perfect place for social experimentation.
6. What were Paul's arguments against the concept that Christians had to follow Jewish law, if they were claiming to be Jewish?
7. Explain how Mack views the authors of the literature in the New Testament.
8. How did Paul link Christianity to the Greek concept of self control?
9. Describe the two major aspects in which the Christ cult differed from the Jesus movements.
10. What did Paul mean by "freedom from the law", according to Mack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, Paul's letters to the Romans. Why did it differ from other letters? How does Paul explain the human problem that the gospel answers? How does he describe the Christ myth? What does he say about the resurrection? How did Paul tie in the Greek concept of self control? How did he change the view of apocalypse to fit the Greek concept?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Acts of the Apostles, in detail. What was the point of this document? Who is believed to be the author? When was it written? What stories are contained within the Acts, and what is their purpose to modern Christianity? What literary styles did the author use to create a cohesive history of gospel cohesiveness? What did the speeches within Acts attempt to convey, and were they successful? How did Acts relate to Judaism? Be sure to include information contained in the book in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the response of the Jews to the destruction of the second-temple establishment in Jerusalem to that of the Christians. How did each side react, and why? What similarities are there, and what differences? What accounts for any similar responses? What accounts for their differences? Why did each side respond as they did?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)