|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does evidence for the Christ cult come from?
2. How many layers of the Gospel Q exist?
3. What did the Greek model of civilization give rise to?
4. Why does Mack call the Christ cult the first Christians?
5. What does Mack claim the kingdom of God represented?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four features of the Christ myth Mack claims are a result of the involvement of God?
2. Explain why social tension began to mount within the new mixed society of Greco-Roman times, and how these groups tried to keep their culture.
3. What is the third Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
4. Explain why Paul is so important to views of Christianity, according to Mack.
5. Explain why Mack believes Galilee was the perfect place for social experimentation.
6. What were the three ideas that groups gathered around that resulted in the Jesus movements?
7. What is the second Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
8. Explain Paul's concept of the spiritual body.
9. What were Paul's arguments against the concept that Christians had to follow Jewish law, if they were claiming to be Jewish?
10. Explain how Mack views the authors of the literature in the New Testament.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the five Jesus groups listed below and discuss their characteristics, and the primary teachings their movement brings forth. Be sure to include what they believed, and why, as well as their primary influence on the concept of Jesus and society in general.
-Community of Q
-True Disciples of the Gospel of Thomas
-Congregation of Israel
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Didache, in detail. What is it? Where was it located? What is it a part of, and why? What does it contain? What features does Mack note are of particular interest? How does the Didache relate to Judaism? Why is this important to understanding the state of Christianity in the early second century?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the three ways in which Paul fought the super apostles at Corinth. Be sure to include all three of his arguments, including the idea of an old and new covenant, the Adam-Jesus comparison, and the use of allegory to turn the old covenant into the story of Christ. How did Paul use each of these arguments? What were the arguments? Be sure to include details from the book to explain the arguments, and to support them.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)