Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Paul stress was important, since they were "members of Christ"?
2. Why were issues such as homosexuality a source of cultural conflict?
3. What is the name of the form of mythmaking Mack notes these early Jesus people were engaged in?
4. What did Paul's argument do to Jews and Christians?
5. What is contained in the Gospel of Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mack's argument about why John wrote Revelations?
2. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
3. Describe the two major aspects in which the Christ cult differed from the Jesus movements.
4. Explain Mack's view of how the writings of the New Testament were chosen, and why these choices created centrist Christianity.
5. What were Paul's arguments against the concept that Christians had to follow Jewish law, if they were claiming to be Jewish?
6. What does Mack give as his own fantasy about the Bible?
7. What two strong desires drove Christianity?
8. What are the four types of material within the letters to the Corinthians?
9. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
10. Describe Mack's observations about James as an author in the first three centuries.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the ideas of Marcion of Sinope to the ideas of Valentinus. Who were these individuals? What were their arguments against the centrist concept of Christianity? How do their arguments differ? How are they similar? Combined, how did their ideas influence the rest of the world? How did their ideas lead to the concept that the Jewish scriptures were "really" about Christians?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the cultures of the Greco-Roman times in the Eastern Mediterranean, as explained by Mack in Chapter 1. Be sure to include concepts of the Jewish temple-state, the Greek city-state, and the Roman republic. What were the similarities of these groups? What were the differences? How did these cultural clashes help to form a breeding ground for new social ideas and experiments? What types of social experiments were done? How did these contribute to the creation of a new society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two of the following Gospels. Be sure to include the time of the writing, the location, the portrayal of Jesus, the use of other documents to form a basis, and the individual additions of each author to the main story line. How are the two similar, and how are they different?
*The Gospel of Mark
*The Gospel of Matthew
*The Gospel of Luke
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)