|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two realms did the Corinthians combine?
2. What does Mack claim about the various groups that formed in the schools of Jesus?
3. What two systems helped define the temple-state?
4. What does Mack compare the Pronouncement Stories to in Chapter 2?
5. What does Mack say the Christ cult laid the foundation for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mack's view of how the writings of the New Testament were chosen, and why these choices created centrist Christianity.
2. What are the four features of the Christ myth Mack claims are a result of the involvement of God?
3. Explain the findings of Carsten Thiede, Mack's response, and what this argument shows.
4. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
5. Describe the concept of the polis.
6. Why are Paul's letters to the Thessalonians important?
7. What did Paul mean by "freedom from the law", according to Mack?
8. What is the fourth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
9. Explain what was meant by Jesus in referring to his body as the bread, and his blood as the wine.
10. What is the second Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the conversion of Constantine led to the development of the Christian Bible. Who was Constantine? Why did his position in the Roman empire matter? What did he set out to do? What three events does Mack credit to the creation of the Christian Bible? What does he say about Augustus' role in Josephs list? What does he say about the Letter of Athenasius? How did the list of Eusebius play a role?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss, in depth, the three concerns written about in the treatise that is the Epistle to the Hebrews. What three concerns does the author either discuss openly, or imply? Why were these particular concerns? What had happened in society that caused these concerns? How did the letter address these concerns? How are these concerns interrelated, according to Mack? What does Mack claim this shows the author was trying to do? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)