|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many books of the New Testament is Paul responsible for, according to Mack?
2. What notion does Mack believe generated enough excitement to influence the formation of different Jesus groups?
3. What does each of these movements attempt to link Jesus to, according to Mack?
4. What feature of the Christ cult does Mack claim Paul found irresistible?
5. What does Mack suggest as a reason that Mark was overly critical of the disciples of Jerusalem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the temple-state.
2. What were some of the problems exporting the Athens model of society?
3. Explain what was meant by Jesus in referring to his body as the bread, and his blood as the wine.
4. What is the second Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
5. Explain why Mack believes Galilee was the perfect place for social experimentation.
6. Explain the three myths merged in Philippians 2:6-11.
7. What is the fifth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
8. Why does Mack believe early Christians were excited about the concept of the kingdom of God?
9. Explain Mack's view of how the writings of the New Testament were chosen, and why these choices created centrist Christianity.
10. What were the three exegetical novelties Paul came up with that had a lasting effect on Christianity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mack's interpretation of Paul's argument to the Thessalonians in terms of the question of those who had already perished. What was the original intent of the question, according to Mack? How did Paul respond? What were his arguments? How did he alter the message of the Christ myth to fit his argument? Why was the question of a concern for the dead a common issue in the Easter Mediterranean? Why does Mack argue that Paul's response to the question indicates the question was really about belonging? How did Paul's answers lead to an idea of eternal life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mack's three arguments about why the Bible has survived unquestioned throughout history. Why does he say this has happened? Be sure to discuss Mack's views of the Bible as an oracle, the Bible as the ritual text of Christianity, and the Bible's function as an epic for the American dream. What are each of these, and why do they help to position the Bible in a high, unquestionable place of power?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)