|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack compare the Pronouncement Stories to in Chapter 2?
2. Which group makes up the fifth of the Jesus Movements?
3. What feature of the Christ cult does Mack claim Paul found irresistible?
4. How many layers of the Gospel Q exist?
5. When did Jesus Movements start in Galilee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three factors surfaced as questions to answer that would help the different culture's relate to one another, and why were they important?
2. Describe the temple-state.
3. What is the fifth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
4. What are the four types of material within the letters to the Corinthians?
5. What is the first Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
6. How did Paul link Christianity to the Greek concept of self control?
7. What were some of the problems exporting the Athens model of society?
8. Explain the three myths merged in Philippians 2:6-11.
9. What is the catch-22 Mack finds when discussing the New Testament and the origins of the Christian Church?
10. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the conversion of Constantine led to the development of the Christian Bible. Who was Constantine? Why did his position in the Roman empire matter? What did he set out to do? What three events does Mack credit to the creation of the Christian Bible? What does he say about Augustus' role in Josephs list? What does he say about the Letter of Athenasius? How did the list of Eusebius play a role?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the five Jesus groups listed below and discuss their characteristics, and the primary teachings their movement brings forth. Be sure to include what they believed, and why, as well as their primary influence on the concept of Jesus and society in general.
-Community of Q
-True Disciples of the Gospel of Thomas
-Congregation of Israel
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Didache, in detail. What is it? Where was it located? What is it a part of, and why? What does it contain? What features does Mack note are of particular interest? How does the Didache relate to Judaism? Why is this important to understanding the state of Christianity in the early second century?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)