|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mack call the Christ cult the first Christians?
2. What two Gods from different cultures were seen to be the same?
3. What does Mack claim the Christ hymn was the result of?
4. What does Carsten Thiede claim about the Magdalen fragments?
5. What does the term Judeo-Christian mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two major aspects in which the Christ cult differed from the Jesus movements.
2. Explain the findings of Carsten Thiede, Mack's response, and what this argument shows.
3. What did Paul mean by "freedom from the law", according to Mack?
4. What were some of the problems exporting the Athens model of society?
5. Explain why social tension began to mount within the new mixed society of Greco-Roman times, and how these groups tried to keep their culture.
6. What myths did the concept of the death and resurrection of Christ draw upon?
7. What does Mack say about the Bible in early American history?
8. Explain what was meant by Jesus in referring to his body as the bread, and his blood as the wine.
9. Explain why Paul is so important to views of Christianity, according to Mack.
10. Explain why Mack believes Galilee was the perfect place for social experimentation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
Essay Topic 2
Describe why Mack believes his book can help view Christianity in a new way, and what he fantasizes about in terms of an honest discussion of the Bible, and Christianity as a whole. What does he think we should do, in terms of religion? Why does he think his book can help humanity begin to question Christianity as a source for social order? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, the mythologies that were used to provide the logic for the concept of Jesus' death and resurrection. Be sure to include information about the Greek myth of noble death, the Jewish concepts of martyrdom, the Jewish myth of the persecuted sage, examples of each, and how these myths tied into the Christ cult's concept of the death and resurrection.
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)