Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Paul stress was important, since they were "members of Christ"?
2. Why were issues such as homosexuality a source of cultural conflict?
3. What is the name of the form of mythmaking Mack notes these early Jesus people were engaged in?
4. What did Paul's argument do to Jews and Christians?
5. What is contained in the Gospel of Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mack's argument about why John wrote Revelations?
2. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
3. Describe the two major aspects in which the Christ cult differed from the Jesus movements.
4. Explain Mack's view of how the writings of the New Testament were chosen, and why these choices created centrist Christianity.
5. What were Paul's arguments against the concept that Christians had to follow Jewish law, if they were claiming to be Jewish?
6. What does Mack give as his own fantasy about the Bible?
7. What two strong desires drove Christianity?
8. What are the four types of material within the letters to the Corinthians?
9. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
10. Describe Mack's observations about James as an author in the first three centuries.
Essay Topic 1
Describe the three ways in which Paul fought the super apostles at Corinth. Be sure to include all three of his arguments, including the idea of an old and new covenant, the Adam-Jesus comparison, and the use of allegory to turn the old covenant into the story of Christ. How did Paul use each of these arguments? What were the arguments? Be sure to include details from the book to explain the arguments, and to support them.
Essay Topic 2
Explain, in detail, the mythologies that were used to provide the logic for the concept of Jesus' death and resurrection. Be sure to include information about the Greek myth of noble death, the Jewish concepts of martyrdom, the Jewish myth of the persecuted sage, examples of each, and how these myths tied into the Christ cult's concept of the death and resurrection.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Didache, in detail. What is it? Where was it located? What is it a part of, and why? What does it contain? What features does Mack note are of particular interest? How does the Didache relate to Judaism? Why is this important to understanding the state of Christianity in the early second century?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)