|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack claim about the Book of Isaiah?
2. What did the Greek model of civilization give rise to?
3. What does Paul assure the Thessalonians in terms of "those who had died"?
4. Who were the super apostles at Corinth?
5. Why does Mack claim the Bible was important by the end of the fourth century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the three ideas that groups gathered around that resulted in the Jesus movements?
2. What were Paul's arguments against the concept that Christians had to follow Jewish law, if they were claiming to be Jewish?
3. What are the four types of material within the letters to the Corinthians?
4. What is the fifth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
5. What does Mack say about the Bible in early American history?
6. Describe the temple-state.
7. Explain why social tension began to mount within the new mixed society of Greco-Roman times, and how these groups tried to keep their culture.
8. What did Paul mean by "freedom from the law", according to Mack?
9. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
10. How did Paul link Christianity to the Greek concept of self control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, Paul's letters to the Romans. Why did it differ from other letters? How does Paul explain the human problem that the gospel answers? How does he describe the Christ myth? What does he say about the resurrection? How did Paul tie in the Greek concept of self control? How did he change the view of apocalypse to fit the Greek concept?
Essay Topic 2
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, the mythologies that were used to provide the logic for the concept of Jesus' death and resurrection. Be sure to include information about the Greek myth of noble death, the Jewish concepts of martyrdom, the Jewish myth of the persecuted sage, examples of each, and how these myths tied into the Christ cult's concept of the death and resurrection.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)