|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two realms did the Corinthians combine?
2. What does Mack claim about the authors of the sections in the New Testament?
3. Why does Mack claim that the Jesus cult succeeded?
4. What did Paul's Jewish sensibility place high value on?
5. What does Mack claim is the reason for the many portrayals of Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mack believes Galilee was the perfect place for social experimentation.
2. Explain the three myths merged in Philippians 2:6-11.
3. Explain Mack's view of how the writings of the New Testament were chosen, and why these choices created centrist Christianity.
4. Explain the findings of Carsten Thiede, Mack's response, and what this argument shows.
5. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
6. What myths did the concept of the death and resurrection of Christ draw upon?
7. What were Paul's arguments against the concept that Christians had to follow Jewish law, if they were claiming to be Jewish?
8. What is the catch-22 Mack finds when discussing the New Testament and the origins of the Christian Church?
9. Why are Paul's letters to the Thessalonians important?
10. What is the third Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
Essay Topic 2
List and discuss the four "proofs" from scripture that support the idea that the history of Israel can be read as the story of the Christian God. What are the four points? What do they mean? How do they tie together to create the idea of a scripture that supports the Christian God, rather than a Jewish God? Be sure to mention concepts such as the spirit of prophesy, the logos, and the idea that the history of Israel did not end with the Jews.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the three ways in which Paul fought the super apostles at Corinth. Be sure to include all three of his arguments, including the idea of an old and new covenant, the Adam-Jesus comparison, and the use of allegory to turn the old covenant into the story of Christ. How did Paul use each of these arguments? What were the arguments? Be sure to include details from the book to explain the arguments, and to support them.
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)