|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose stories are mimicked in the Miracle Stories?
2. What are sophists?
3. Where was Jesus from?
4. In the temple-state model of civilization, what system does the king represent?
5. What became the sign of belonging to the new fellowship that became the Christ cult?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mack say about the Bible in early American history?
2. Explain the three myths merged in Philippians 2:6-11.
3. Explain Paul's concept of the spiritual body.
4. Describe the concept of the polis.
5. What is the second Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
6. How did Paul link Christianity to the Greek concept of self control?
7. What are the four features of the Christ myth Mack claims are a result of the involvement of God?
8. What is the fourth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
9. What did Paul mean by "freedom from the law", according to Mack?
10. What is the third Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two of the following Gospels. Be sure to include the time of the writing, the location, the portrayal of Jesus, the use of other documents to form a basis, and the individual additions of each author to the main story line. How are the two similar, and how are they different?
• The Gospel of Mark
• The Gospel of Matthew
• The Gospel of Luke
Essay Topic 2
Explain, in detail, Paul's letters to the Romans. Why did it differ from other letters? How does Paul explain the human problem that the gospel answers? How does he describe the Christ myth? What does he say about the resurrection? How did Paul tie in the Greek concept of self control? How did he change the view of apocalypse to fit the Greek concept?
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, the mythologies that were used to provide the logic for the concept of Jesus' death and resurrection. Be sure to include information about the Greek myth of noble death, the Jewish concepts of martyrdom, the Jewish myth of the persecuted sage, examples of each, and how these myths tied into the Christ cult's concept of the death and resurrection.
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)