Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Paul stress was important, since they were "members of Christ"?
2. Why were issues such as homosexuality a source of cultural conflict?
3. What is the name of the form of mythmaking Mack notes these early Jesus people were engaged in?
4. What did Paul's argument do to Jews and Christians?
5. What is contained in the Gospel of Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mack's argument about why John wrote Revelations?
2. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
3. Describe the two major aspects in which the Christ cult differed from the Jesus movements.
4. Explain Mack's view of how the writings of the New Testament were chosen, and why these choices created centrist Christianity.
5. What were Paul's arguments against the concept that Christians had to follow Jewish law, if they were claiming to be Jewish?
6. What does Mack give as his own fantasy about the Bible?
7. What two strong desires drove Christianity?
8. What are the four types of material within the letters to the Corinthians?
9. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
10. Describe Mack's observations about James as an author in the first three centuries.
Essay Topic 1
List and discuss the three layers of the Gospel of Q. be sure to describe each in detail, and explain both what they describe, as well as their historical impact. Why was each written? What does each discuss? What are the seven blocks of Q1? Why are they called the Gospel of Q? How do the Q Gospels compare to the statements of the Cynics? What was added with Q3?
Essay Topic 2
Explain, in detail, Paul's letters to the Romans. Why did it differ from other letters? How does Paul explain the human problem that the gospel answers? How does he describe the Christ myth? What does he say about the resurrection? How did Paul tie in the Greek concept of self control? How did he change the view of apocalypse to fit the Greek concept?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Didache, in detail. What is it? Where was it located? What is it a part of, and why? What does it contain? What features does Mack note are of particular interest? How does the Didache relate to Judaism? Why is this important to understanding the state of Christianity in the early second century?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)