|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Paul tone down his views of the freedom of Christians?
2. What two notions was Paul caught between in the question of what to do with those already dead?
3. What happened at Corinth that made Paul nervous?
4. What does Mack note the Corinthians are the first example of?
5. What two Gods from different cultures were seen to be the same?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mack's argument about why John wrote Revelations?
2. Explain Mack's view of how the writings of the New Testament were chosen, and why these choices created centrist Christianity.
3. Explain Mack's discussion of when the Epistles of Peter and Jude were written. What references does he use to attempt to date the pieces?
4. What are the four types of miracle interpretation occurring in the Gospel of John?
5. What is the fourth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
6. What myths did the concept of the death and resurrection of Christ draw upon?
7. What did Paul mean by "freedom from the law", according to Mack?
8. Why are Paul's letters to the Thessalonians important?
9. What did the Jewish scripture available to early Christians consist of?
10. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the three ways in which Paul fought the super apostles at Corinth. Be sure to include all three of his arguments, including the idea of an old and new covenant, the Adam-Jesus comparison, and the use of allegory to turn the old covenant into the story of Christ. How did Paul use each of these arguments? What were the arguments? Be sure to include details from the book to explain the arguments, and to support them.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the five Jesus groups listed below and discuss their characteristics, and the primary teachings their movement brings forth. Be sure to include what they believed, and why, as well as their primary influence on the concept of Jesus and society in general.
-Community of Q
-True Disciples of the Gospel of Thomas
-Congregation of Israel
Essay Topic 3
Explain and analyze the two forces that Mack claims drive Christianity. What are those two forces? How do those forces move Christianity along? What tensions are involved in these forces? when did these forces begin to have an effect on Christianity? Where else did Biblical influence become apparent? Why are these factors important when examining the construction of the Christian bible?
This section contains 2,455 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)