|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the passage in Romans 3:21-26 say about why Jesus' death was effective?
2. In the temple-state model of civilization, what system does the priest represent?
3. What did the Greek model of civilization give rise to?
4. What was the Stoic recommendation for personal virtue?
5. When did Jesus Movements start in Galilee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the temple-state.
2. What does Mack say about the Bible in early American history?
3. What is the fourth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
4. Explain the three myths merged in Philippians 2:6-11.
5. What is the catch-22 Mack finds when discussing the New Testament and the origins of the Christian Church?
6. Explain how Mack views the authors of the literature in the New Testament.
7. What were some of the problems exporting the Athens model of society?
8. What is the first Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
9. Explain why Mack believes Galilee was the perfect place for social experimentation.
10. What is the second Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two of the following Gospels. Be sure to include the time of the writing, the location, the portrayal of Jesus, the use of other documents to form a basis, and the individual additions of each author to the main story line. How are the two similar, and how are they different?
• The Gospel of Mark
• The Gospel of Matthew
• The Gospel of Luke
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Didache, in detail. What is it? Where was it located? What is it a part of, and why? What does it contain? What features does Mack note are of particular interest? How does the Didache relate to Judaism? Why is this important to understanding the state of Christianity in the early second century?
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)