|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the myth of Jesus' death and resurrection rooted in, according to Mack?
2. What does Mack claim the Christ hymn was the result of?
3. What does the passage in Romans 3:21-26 say about why Jesus' death was effective?
4. What does Mack claim was the slogan for Paul's gospel?
5. What does Mack claim happens when a person brings in a Biblical position to an argument of social discussion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
2. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
3. Describe the concept of the polis.
4. What three factors surfaced as questions to answer that would help the different culture's relate to one another, and why were they important?
5. Describe the temple-state.
6. What is the fourth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
7. Why are Paul's letters to the Thessalonians important?
8. Explain what was meant by Jesus in referring to his body as the bread, and his blood as the wine.
9. Explain why social tension began to mount within the new mixed society of Greco-Roman times, and how these groups tried to keep their culture.
10. What myths did the concept of the death and resurrection of Christ draw upon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Acts of the Apostles, in detail. What was the point of this document? Who is believed to be the author? When was it written? What stories are contained within the Acts, and what is their purpose to modern Christianity? What literary styles did the author use to create a cohesive history of gospel cohesiveness? What did the speeches within Acts attempt to convey, and were they successful? How did Acts relate to Judaism? Be sure to include information contained in the book in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the five Jesus groups listed below and discuss their characteristics, and the primary teachings their movement brings forth. Be sure to include what they believed, and why, as well as their primary influence on the concept of Jesus and society in general.
-Community of Q
-True Disciples of the Gospel of Thomas
-Congregation of Israel
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, Paul's letters to the Romans. Why did it differ from other letters? How does Paul explain the human problem that the gospel answers? How does he describe the Christ myth? What does he say about the resurrection? How did Paul tie in the Greek concept of self control? How did he change the view of apocalypse to fit the Greek concept?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)