|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack claim about the image of Christ asking his disciples to eat and drink of him?
2. What two systems helped define the temple-state?
3. What does the term Judeo-Christian mean?
4. What did early people think their society was based on?
5. What was Paul's view on circumcision for the Gentiles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the problems exporting the Athens model of society?
2. How did Paul link Christianity to the Greek concept of self control?
3. What is the third Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
4. What myths did the concept of the death and resurrection of Christ draw upon?
5. Why are Paul's letters to the Thessalonians important?
6. Describe the temple-state.
7. What is the catch-22 Mack finds when discussing the New Testament and the origins of the Christian Church?
8. What is the second Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
9. Explain the three myths merged in Philippians 2:6-11.
10. Describe the concept of the polis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the five Jesus groups listed below and discuss their characteristics, and the primary teachings their movement brings forth. Be sure to include what they believed, and why, as well as their primary influence on the concept of Jesus and society in general.
-Community of Q
-True Disciples of the Gospel of Thomas
-Congregation of Israel
Essay Topic 2
Explain, in detail, the mythologies that were used to provide the logic for the concept of Jesus' death and resurrection. Be sure to include information about the Greek myth of noble death, the Jewish concepts of martyrdom, the Jewish myth of the persecuted sage, examples of each, and how these myths tied into the Christ cult's concept of the death and resurrection.
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, the cosmic views that Mack claims are presented in the following texts. Be sure to include why Mack claims these texts reveal an image of Jesus as a cosmic lord, and the tools used to present Jesus in such a way.
• Gospel of John
• Letters to the Colossians and Ephesians
• Epistle to the Hebrews
• Revelation to John
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)