|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Revelations, who was found worthy enough to open the seven seals?
(d) The lamb.
2. What does Mack say about the letter of Jude?
(a) It is a sloppy literary production.
(b) It is an intellectual masterpiece.
(c) It is a historical marvel.
(d) It is literary genius.
3. What does Mack claim about Justin's treatise to the Jews?
(a) No Jew ever listened to it.
(b) Justin never wrote it.
(c) It was made up by the Jews.
(d) No one ever read it.
4. What does Mack claim are the building blocks of the Gospel of John?
(a) The references to Mark.
(b) The proclamation stories.
(c) The references to Q.
(d) The miracle stories.
5. What does Mack argue is the point of Paul's letters to Timothy and Titus?
(a) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of God.
(b) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of the Romans.
(c) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of Jesus.
(d) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of the overseer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to imply the significance of the miracle stories in the Gospel of John?
2. What is the term for "a small group of writings believes to have been written by bishops and others" who knew the apostles?
3. Who is the star from Chapter 13 to the end of the Acts of the Apostles?
4. Why did the literature that the early bishops threw out survive?
5. Who was the leader of the empire who tried to have his images placed in the temple of Jerusalem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two values are integrated in the Letters of Ignatius, and what is the result?
2. Describe Mack's observations about James as an author in the first three centuries.
3. What was Marcion of Sinope's logic, in terms of his views of two Gods, and what to do about the Jewish contamination in the gospels?
4. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
5. What evidence does Mack put forth that the attempts to move into mainstream Christianity worked?
6. What are the standard writing conventions used in the Acts of the Apostles?
7. Describe Matthew's depiction of Jesus.
8. What are the three concerns underlying the treatise to the Hebrews?
9. What are the four types of miracle interpretation occurring in the Gospel of John?
10. What were the two key arguments that the centrists tried to use against the non-centrist positions of Valentinus and Marcion?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)