|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack claim is the point of the Letter of James?
(a) Showing the importance of God's will.
(b) Showing the importance of the Christian faith.
(c) Showing the importance of living a moral life.
(d) Showing the importance Jesus' word.
2. How many miracles occur in the Gospel of John?
3. How did Mark portray Jesus?
(a) As a powerful authority figure.
(b) As a God.
(c) As a teacher.
(d) As a backdrop to Jewish scripture.
4. What does Mack argue is the point of Paul's letters to Timothy and Titus?
(a) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of the overseer.
(b) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of Jesus.
(c) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of the Romans.
(d) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of God.
5. What does Mack say about the letter of Jude?
(a) It is a sloppy literary production.
(b) It is a historical marvel.
(c) It is literary genius.
(d) It is an intellectual masterpiece.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack argue the Letter to the Hebrews is, in reality?
2. What does Mack claim the author of the Acts of the Apostles set out to show?
3. What does Mack claim both Marcion and Valentinus offered?
4. What does Mack believe the authors intended to convey by having Peter and James defend Paul's ideas about Jewish law?
5. Who defended the centrist Christian position from those who challenged it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mack's discussion of when the Epistles of Peter and Jude were written. What references does he use to attempt to date the pieces?
2. Describe Matthew's depiction of Jesus.
3. Describe Mack's observations about James as an author in the first three centuries.
4. What two values are integrated in the Letters of Ignatius, and what is the result?
5. What evidence does Mack put forth that the attempts to move into mainstream Christianity worked?
6. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
7. How does the Gospel of John differ from that of Mark?
8. What was Marcion of Sinope's logic, in terms of his views of two Gods, and what to do about the Jewish contamination in the gospels?
9. What were the two key arguments that the centrists tried to use against the non-centrist positions of Valentinus and Marcion?
10. What does Mack say about the "overwhelming concern" in the Didache about the practice of alms, gift giving, and supporting those who ask for hand outs?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)