|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack claim is Mark's greatest achievement?
(a) That he succeeded in tying Jesus with Moses.
(b) That he succeeded in publishing his work.
(c) That he succeeded in converting the Jews.
(d) That he succeeded in creating the origins for Christian imagination.
2. Who does Mack argue at the end of Chapter 8 became the beloved disciple?
3. Who is the star from Chapter 13 to the end of the Acts of the Apostles?
4. How many miracles occur in the Gospel of John?
5. What does Mack argue is the point of Paul's letters to Timothy and Titus?
(a) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of the overseer.
(b) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of God.
(c) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of the Romans.
(d) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Justin claim the Greek philosophers received their wisdom?
2. What word is used to imply the significance of the miracle stories in the Gospel of John?
3. What does Mack claim about Paul's letters to Colossians and Ephesians?
4. What is the term for "a small group of writings believes to have been written by bishops and others" who knew the apostles?
5. What is the only feature that all Christian religions have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the conversion of Constantine, and why it was pivotal in the creation of the Bible.
2. What are the four types of miracle interpretation occurring in the Gospel of John?
3. What was Valentinus' story of the tragedy of the birth of the world?
4. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
5. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
6. What two values are integrated in the Letters of Ignatius, and what is the result?
7. Describe Mack's observations about James as an author in the first three centuries.
8. Explain the observations Mack claims are important about Mark's use of the pronouncement stories.
9. What was Marcion of Sinope's logic, in terms of his views of two Gods, and what to do about the Jewish contamination in the gospels?
10. How does the Gospel of John differ from that of Mark?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)