|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack claim about the image of Christ asking his disciples to eat and drink of him?
(a) It is impossible.
(b) It is imaginary.
(c) It is literary.
(d) It is historical.
2. What does Mack believe the figure of Jesus became with the Pronouncement Stories?
(a) Interpreter of the law.
(b) A martyr.
(c) A mystic.
(d) A teacher.
3. What is a Christ hymn?
(a) A genre of poetry to the angels.
(b) A genre of praise poetry.
(c) A song specifically geared toward Jesus.
(d) A song specifically geared toward God.
4. What was Paul's view on circumcision for the Gentiles?
(a) Paul let the pillars of Jerusalem answer the question of circumcision.
(b) Paul never answered the question of circumcision.
(c) Paul felt the Gentiles should be circumcised.
(d) Paul felt there was no need to circumcise the Gentiles.
5. How many books of the New Testament is Paul responsible for, according to Mack?
(b) All of them.
(d) Over one half.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two words came to represent the debate between power and the divine law of nature?
2. What is featured in the Gospel of Thomas that is missing in the Book of Q?
3. What does Mack claim about the Book of Isaiah?
4. Why does Mack call the Christ cult the first Christians?
5. Why does Mack claim Columbus studied the Bible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fourth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
2. Explain Mack's view of how the writings of the New Testament were chosen, and why these choices created centrist Christianity.
3. Explain why social tension began to mount within the new mixed society of Greco-Roman times, and how these groups tried to keep their culture.
4. Describe the temple-state.
5. What does Mack say about the Bible in early American history?
6. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
7. How did Paul link Christianity to the Greek concept of self control?
8. Explain Paul's concept of the spiritual body.
9. Describe the two major aspects in which the Christ cult differed from the Jesus movements.
10. Explain what was meant by Jesus in referring to his body as the bread, and his blood as the wine.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)