|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Paul stress was important, since they were "members of Christ"?
(a) The spirit.
(b) The body.
(c) The soul.
(d) The mind.
2. When does Mack claim the books of the New Testament were written?
(a) During the life of Jesus.
(b) From the end of the second century to the end of the fourth century.
(c) During the ninth century.
(d) From the 50s in the first century to the middle of the second century.
3. What does the passage in Romans 3:21-26 say about why Jesus' death was effective?
(a) Because he was a sinner.
(b) Because he was the son of God.
(c) Because he was faithful.
(d) Because he was justified.
4. What does Mack claim is the reason for the many portrayals of Jesus?
(a) Different groups developed his image to support their movement.
(b) Different groups saw him differently, based on his age.
(c) Different people changed the true description for political gain.
(d) There is no difference in the portrayals of Jesus.
5. What does Mack note the Corinthians are the first example of?
(a) A congregation gone awry.
(b) A congregation of Jews.
(c) A congregation of Paul's disciples.
(d) A Hellenistic, urban congregation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem did Paul define as the human problem?
2. How did the Christ cult differ form the Jesus movement?
3. What does the term "Christ" imply?
4. What do the pillars in the Jerusalem group do that other Jesus movements do not?
5. Who were the super apostles at Corinth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
2. Explain what was meant by Jesus in referring to his body as the bread, and his blood as the wine.
3. Explain why Mack believes Galilee was the perfect place for social experimentation.
4. Explain how Mack views the authors of the literature in the New Testament.
5. What is the first Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
6. How did Paul link Christianity to the Greek concept of self control?
7. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
8. What are the four features of the Christ myth Mack claims are a result of the involvement of God?
9. What are the four types of material within the letters to the Corinthians?
10. What does Mack say about the Bible in early American history?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)