Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Paul stress was important, since they were "members of Christ"?
(a) The body.
(b) The mind.
(c) The soul.
(d) The spirit.
2. Why were issues such as homosexuality a source of cultural conflict?
(a) It was unheard of in any culture.
(b) It was accepted by all cultures.
(c) It was not accepted by any culture.
(d) It was accepted by one culture, and rejected by another.
3. What is the name of the form of mythmaking Mack notes these early Jesus people were engaged in?
(a) Epic tradition.
(b) Epic authorship.
(c) Epic revision.
(d) Epic mythmaking.
4. What did Paul's argument do to Jews and Christians?
(a) Put the two together in brotherhood.
(b) Set Jews in opposition to Christians.
(c) Made the two into one religion.
5. What is contained in the Gospel of Thomas?
(a) Stories of creation.
(b) Stories of the disciples.
(c) The myth of the resurrection.
(d) The sayings of Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two activities Mack gives credit to in terms of the creation of Christian beliefs?
2. What does Paul ask Philemon to do with Onesimus?
3. What was the Stoic recommendation for personal virtue?
4. When did Jesus Movements start in Galilee?
5. What does Mack claim the Jews had done since the time of David and Solomon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mack's argument about why John wrote Revelations?
2. Describe the situation in the empire since the reign of Caligula, in terms of the political mood of the Jews.
3. Describe the two major aspects in which the Christ cult differed from the Jesus movements.
4. Explain Mack's view of how the writings of the New Testament were chosen, and why these choices created centrist Christianity.
5. What were Paul's arguments against the concept that Christians had to follow Jewish law, if they were claiming to be Jewish?
6. What does Mack give as his own fantasy about the Bible?
7. What two strong desires drove Christianity?
8. What are the four types of material within the letters to the Corinthians?
9. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
10. Describe Mack's observations about James as an author in the first three centuries.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)