|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack believe the figure of Jesus became with the Pronouncement Stories?
(a) Interpreter of the law.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A mystic.
(d) A martyr.
2. In the temple-state model of civilization, what system does the king represent?
3. What does Mack claim is the reason for the many portrayals of Jesus?
(a) There is no difference in the portrayals of Jesus.
(b) Different people changed the true description for political gain.
(c) Different groups developed his image to support their movement.
(d) Different groups saw him differently, based on his age.
4. What is contained in the Gospel of Thomas?
(a) Stories of creation.
(b) Stories of the disciples.
(c) The sayings of Jesus.
(d) The myth of the resurrection.
5. What is an epic according to Mack?
(a) A rehearsal of the past that puts the present in its light.
(b) A look at the past to discover previous laws.
(c) A hope for a brighter future.
(d) An examination of the past to reveal public policy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Paul's argument do to Jews and Christians?
2. What is the Jewish story of the persecuted sage also called?
3. What was the Greek concept of civilization?
4. What does Mack claim was the slogan for Paul's gospel?
5. What is featured in the Gospel of Thomas that is missing in the Book of Q?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the four ways of reading the scripture that supported the Christian inclusion of Jewish scripture in their religion?
2. Explain what was meant by Jesus in referring to his body as the bread, and his blood as the wine.
3. Explain Mack's discussion of when the Epistles of Peter and Jude were written. What references does he use to attempt to date the pieces?
4. Explain what Mack says about the Bible's force in carrying the Church.
5. Explain the findings of Carsten Thiede, Mack's response, and what this argument shows.
6. What are the four features of the Christ myth Mack claims are a result of the involvement of God?
7. Describe the temple-state.
8. What is the catch-22 Mack finds when discussing the New Testament and the origins of the Christian Church?
9. What is the fifth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
10. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)