|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does evidence for the Christ cult come from?
(a) Letters of Paul written in the 50s.
(b) The Dead Sea Scrolls.
(c) The Gospel of Thomas.
(d) The Sayings of Q.
2. What does Mack claim about the authors of the sections in the New Testament?
(a) They were uneducated militants, rebelling against the Church.
(b) They are the people each section is attributed to.
(c) They are not the people each section is attributed to.
(d) They were descendants of Jesus.
3. What did Paul stress was important, since they were "members of Christ"?
(a) The mind.
(b) The body.
(c) The soul.
(d) The spirit.
4. Whose stories are mimicked in the Miracle Stories?
(a) The Jewish scriptures.
(b) The Egyptian scriptures.
(c) Roman myth.
(d) Greek mythology.
5. What does Mack claim is the reason for the many portrayals of Jesus?
(a) There is no difference in the portrayals of Jesus.
(b) Different groups saw him differently, based on his age.
(c) Different people changed the true description for political gain.
(d) Different groups developed his image to support their movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack claim was the slogan for Paul's gospel?
2. When did Jesus Movements start in Galilee?
3. Why does Mack claim the Bible is constantly consulted?
4. What does Mack note the Corinthians are the first example of?
5. What does the term Judeo-Christian mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
2. What is the fourth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
3. What were some of the problems exporting the Athens model of society?
4. Explain why Mack believes Galilee was the perfect place for social experimentation.
5. Explain the three myths merged in Philippians 2:6-11.
6. What are the four features of the Christ myth Mack claims are a result of the involvement of God?
7. What were the three ideas that groups gathered around that resulted in the Jesus movements?
8. Explain what was meant by Jesus in referring to his body as the bread, and his blood as the wine.
9. Explain why Paul is so important to views of Christianity, according to Mack.
10. What does Mack say about the Bible in early American history?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)