|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack claim the Christ hymn was the result of?
(a) A lie by the disciples.
(b) A burning desire for a personal Deity.
(c) A vision of Paul.
(d) A conflict of authority.
2. Why is Paul's' letter to the Romans different from his other letters?
(a) The letter was not written by Paul.
(b) He wrote the Romans for different reasons.
(c) The letter was written in anger.
(d) He wrote the Romans to ask for funding.
3. What is the name of the form of mythmaking Mack notes these early Jesus people were engaged in?
(a) Epic revision.
(b) Epic mythmaking.
(c) Epic authorship.
(d) Epic tradition.
4. What was Paul's view on circumcision for the Gentiles?
(a) Paul never answered the question of circumcision.
(b) Paul felt there was no need to circumcise the Gentiles.
(c) Paul felt the Gentiles should be circumcised.
(d) Paul let the pillars of Jerusalem answer the question of circumcision.
5. What does Paul ask Philemon to do with Onesimus?
(a) Send him into exile.
(b) Punish him as God would punish him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Receive him without punishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Christ hymn imply about the domain of Jesus?
2. How did the Christ cult differ form the Jesus movement?
3. What does Mack compare the Pronouncement Stories to in Chapter 2?
4. What problem did Paul define as the human problem?
5. What is an epic according to Mack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
2. Why does Mack believe early Christians were excited about the concept of the kingdom of God?
3. Explain why Paul is so important to views of Christianity, according to Mack.
4. What are the four features of the Christ myth Mack claims are a result of the involvement of God?
5. Explain how Mack views the authors of the literature in the New Testament.
6. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
7. Describe the concept of the polis.
8. Explain the findings of Carsten Thiede, Mack's response, and what this argument shows.
9. Explain the three myths merged in Philippians 2:6-11.
10. What does Mack say about the Bible in early American history?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)