|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does evidence for the Christ cult come from?
(a) Letters of Paul written in the 50s.
(b) The Sayings of Q.
(c) The Dead Sea Scrolls.
(d) The Gospel of Thomas.
2. Why does Mack claim the Bible is constantly consulted?
(a) It is the only book of God.
(b) People require it for their faith.
(c) It is highly important to religious institutions.
(d) It is important to our politicians.
3. What does Mack note causes some of the differences between the stories of the New Testament?
(a) They were written by one person, posing as different people.
(b) They were written by different people from different groups.
(c) They were written by different people of the same group.
(d) They were written by the same person over the course of time.
4. What notion does Mack believe generated enough excitement to influence the formation of different Jesus groups?
(a) The concept of Jesus as son of God.
(b) The kingdom of God.
(c) The power of Jesus.
(d) The power of the state.
5. What does Mack suggest as a reason that Mark was overly critical of the disciples of Jerusalem?
(a) They believed in the creation myth.
(b) They adhered to the Jewish purity codes.
(c) They disobeyed the Jewish purity codes.
(d) They believed in the concept of Jesus as God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mack claim groups are forming outside the boundaries of religion to study the Bible?
2. How many books of the New Testament is Paul responsible for, according to Mack?
3. What problem did Paul define as the human problem?
4. What does Mack claim about the image of Christ asking his disciples to eat and drink of him?
5. What role did women play in associations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the three ideas that groups gathered around that resulted in the Jesus movements?
2. Explain why Paul is so important to views of Christianity, according to Mack.
3. Describe the temple-state.
4. Explain Paul's concept of the spiritual body.
5. Explain why social tension began to mount within the new mixed society of Greco-Roman times, and how these groups tried to keep their culture.
6. What is the first Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
7. What is the fourth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
8. Explain how Mack views the authors of the literature in the New Testament.
9. What were some of the problems exporting the Athens model of society?
10. What myths did the concept of the death and resurrection of Christ draw upon?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)