|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the myth of Jesus' death and resurrection rooted in, according to Mack?
(a) The concept of martyrdom.
(b) The ideas surrounding hero worship.
(c) The concept of divinity.
(d) The ideas of the kingdom of God.
2. What was the Greek concept of civilization?
(a) The temple-state.
(b) The republic.
(c) The Church.
(d) The city-state.
3. What does Mack claim about the various groups that formed in the schools of Jesus?
(a) They were dangerous.
(b) They were disciples of Jesus.
(c) They were sent by God.
(d) They were experimental.
4. Who did Paul argue was the seed of Abraham?
(b) Paul himself.
5. What does Mack claim about the image of Christ asking his disciples to eat and drink of him?
(a) It is literary.
(b) It is imaginary.
(c) It is historical.
(d) It is impossible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mack claim the Bible is constantly consulted?
2. What did Paul's Jewish sensibility place high value on?
3. What is featured in the Gospel of Thomas that is missing in the Book of Q?
4. How did the Christ cult differ form the Jesus movement?
5. What are the two activities Mack gives credit to in terms of the creation of Christian beliefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What myths did the concept of the death and resurrection of Christ draw upon?
2. Describe the concept of the polis.
3. What are the three features of the text that indicate the Christ myth is based on the martyr myths?
4. What does Mack say about the Bible in early American history?
5. What were Paul's arguments against the concept that Christians had to follow Jewish law, if they were claiming to be Jewish?
6. What is the fifth Jesus movement discussed in the book, and what is/are the primary components of the movement's teachings?
7. Describe the temple-state.
8. Why are Paul's letters to the Thessalonians important?
9. What are the four types of material within the letters to the Corinthians?
10. Explain what was meant by Jesus in referring to his body as the bread, and his blood as the wine.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)