|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack claim about the Book of Isaiah?
(a) It did not exist.
(b) It was used as a source for the imagery in the Christ hymn.
(c) It was not used as a source for the imagery in the Christ hymn.
(d) It was the same as the information in the Christ hymn.
2. What does Mack argue Paul saw the Christ myth as, in terms of the State of Israel?
(a) Mack claims Paul saw the Christ myth as a call to exile gentiles from Israel.
(b) Mack claims Paul saw the Christ myth as a call to take over all of the the Mediterranean.
(c) Mack claims Paul saw the Christ myth as a call to explained the borders of Israel to include gentiles.
(d) Mack claims Paul saw the Christ myth as a call to circumcise the gentiles in Israel.
3. What does the passage in Romans 3:21-26 say about why Jesus' death was effective?
(a) Because he was a sinner.
(b) Because he was faithful.
(c) Because he was justified.
(d) Because he was the son of God.
4. Where did the Jesus movement begin their change to the Christ cult?
(a) Southern Syria.
(b) Eastern Syria.
(c) Western Syria.
(d) Northern Syria.
5. Why does Mack claim the Bible is constantly consulted?
(a) It is the only book of God.
(b) It is highly important to religious institutions.
(c) People require it for their faith.
(d) It is important to our politicians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feature of the Christ cult does Mack claim Paul found irresistible?
2. Which group makes up the fifth of the Jesus Movements?
3. Why does Mack claim the Bible was important by the end of the fourth century?
4. What does Mack note causes some of the differences between the stories of the New Testament?
5. What two realms did the Corinthians combine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the common values contained in both the temple system of sacrifice and the family system of rituals that allowed the translation of one into the other?
2. What is the catch-22 Mack finds when discussing the New Testament and the origins of the Christian Church?
3. Describe the two major aspects in which the Christ cult differed from the Jesus movements.
4. Explain the findings of Carsten Thiede, Mack's response, and what this argument shows.
5. What are the four features of the Christ myth Mack claims are a result of the involvement of God?
6. How did Paul link Christianity to the Greek concept of self control?
7. What are the four types of miracle interpretation occurring in the Gospel of John?
8. Why are Paul's letters to the Thessalonians important?
9. Explain what Mack says about the Bible's force in carrying the Church.
10. Explain what was meant by Jesus in referring to his body as the bread, and his blood as the wine.
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)