|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term replaced "disciples"?
2. What does Mack argue the Letter to the Hebrews is, in reality?
(a) Letters that should be attributed to Paul.
(b) A statement of principle.
(c) False letters from the Jewish leaders.
(d) A philosophical exhortation.
3. What did Justin argue to the Romans about Christianity?
(a) That it was better than Judaism.
(b) That it actually helped them.
(c) That it hurt their government.
(d) That all Christians should be exiled.
4. When does Mack argue Mark's gospel was written?
(a) During the fourth century.
(b) Prior to the birth of Christ.
(c) Before the Roman-Jewish war.
(d) After the Roman-Jewish war.
5. Who defended the centrist Christian position from those who challenged it?
(b) Justin Martyr.
6. What does Mack argue John was worried about, which resulted in his authorship of Revelations?
(a) Sickness and affliction.
(b) False teachings and affliction.
(c) Persecution and execution.
(d) False teaching and sickness.
7. Why are the Epistles of Peter and Jude called the Catholic epistles?
(a) They were addressed to the Pope.
(b) They were specific to the Catholic church.
(c) They were addressed to Christians in general.
(d) They were letters of the Catholic disciples.
8. How did Luke portray Jesus?
(a) A teacher of the Torah.
(b) The manifestation of obedience to the spirit.
(c) A powerful deity.
(d) A wandering prophet.
9. What is the term for "a small group of writings believes to have been written by bishops and others" who knew the apostles?
(b) Apostolic Fathers.
10. How did Mark portray Jesus?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As a backdrop to Jewish scripture.
(c) As a God.
(d) As a powerful authority figure.
11. What does Mack claim the Bible is the story of?
(a) The history of the world.
(b) The history of Christ.
(c) God's love for the Jews.
(d) God's purposes for humankind.
12. Who was the leader of the empire who tried to have his images placed in the temple of Jerusalem?
(b) Arippa I.
13. In Revelations, who was found worthy enough to open the seven seals?
(a) The lamb.
14. What does the Didache contain?
(a) The Gospel of Thomas.
(b) Instructions for congregations.
(c) Sayings of Jesus.
(d) The Commandments.
15. What does Mack claim both Marcion and Valentinus offered?
(a) A way to avoid God.
(b) An ancient way to view God.
(c) A new way to view God.
(d) A revised way to view God.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John portray Jesus, according to Mack?
2. Who was the first of this group to attack centrist Christianity?
3. What two sources does Mack claim Matthew used for his gospel?
4. What did Justin say about the treatment of the Jews by God, in terms of the fall of the temple and the diaspora?
5. Who began to give an account of the new religion to Greeks, Romans, and others?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)