|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack claim are the building blocks of the Gospel of John?
(a) The references to Mark.
(b) The proclamation stories.
(c) The references to Q.
(d) The miracle stories.
2. What does the Didache contain?
(a) The Commandments.
(b) The Gospel of Thomas.
(c) Instructions for congregations.
(d) Sayings of Jesus.
3. What word is used to imply the significance of the miracle stories in the Gospel of John?
4. What does Mack claim the Bible is the story of?
(a) God's love for the Jews.
(b) The history of the world.
(c) The history of Christ.
(d) God's purposes for humankind.
5. What is Ignatius' second appeal in his letters to the churches?
(a) For the congregations to pray for Ignatius.
(b) For the congregations to obey their bishops.
(c) For the congregations to rise up against Rome.
(d) For the congregations to become martyrs.
6. What does Mack call the Christian myth, in terms of its completion?
(a) An incomplete historical reference.
(b) A completed canon.
(c) An unfinished epic.
(d) A complete fictitious myth.
7. Whose conversion eventually led to the creation of the New Testament?
8. What does the gospel of Matthew argue Jesus' teachings were based on?
(a) The gospel of Luke.
(b) The Torah.
(c) The gospel of Mark.
(d) The gospel of Q.
9. What is different about Peter in comparison to Jude?
(a) It clarifies the opponents more clearly.
(b) It is completely different in content.
(c) It is more socially demoralizing.
(d) It is more violent.
10. What does Mack argue the author of the letters to the Hebrews is saying?
(a) Jesus is better than the entire system of Israelite religion.
(b) Jesus is better than Moses.
(c) Jesus is better than the Roman gods.
(d) Jesus is better than God.
11. Who does Mack claim most of the sermons in the Acts of the Apostles are written for?
(b) Roman rulers.
12. What was Valentinus' claim about what Christ made possible, in terms of knowledge of God?
(a) That Christ made it possible to know about God.
(b) That Christ made it possible to know God through scripture.
(c) That Christ made it possible to know God by acquaintance.
(d) That Christ made it possible to know God through apostles.
13. What does Mack claim is the point of the Letter of James?
(a) Showing the importance of the Christian faith.
(b) Showing the importance of living a moral life.
(c) Showing the importance Jesus' word.
(d) Showing the importance of God's will.
14. What does Mack claim is Mark's greatest achievement?
(a) That he succeeded in publishing his work.
(b) That he succeeded in creating the origins for Christian imagination.
(c) That he succeeded in converting the Jews.
(d) That he succeeded in tying Jesus with Moses.
15. Who defended the centrist Christian position from those who challenged it?
(a) Justin Martyr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack claim both Marcion and Valentinus offered?
2. Where did Justin claim the Greek philosophers received their wisdom?
3. What was the core objective of the epic of Israel through the end of the second temple?
4. What was the first act in Valentinus' cosmic drama?
5. What was the shift in mythmaking, according to Mack, that occurred at the turn of the second century?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)