|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who began to give an account of the new religion to Greeks, Romans, and others?
(a) Jewish intellectuals.
(b) Christian intellectuals.
(c) Roman rulers.
(d) Local Bishops.
2. When do scholars place the writing of the Gospel of John?
(a) Before Christ.
(b) In the third century.
(c) In the 90s.
(d) In the 1800s.
3. Where did the writer of the gospel of Luke write the gospel, according to Mack?
(a) A location near the Aegean Sea.
4. What is contained in 1 Clement?
(a) An admonishment to Corinth congregations.
(b) Instructions for congregations.
(c) The story of Jesus.
(d) Sayings of Jesus.
5. In Revelations, who was found worthy enough to open the seven seals?
(c) The lamb.
6. Who does Mack claim most of the sermons in the Acts of the Apostles are written for?
(b) Roman rulers.
7. What does Mack claim are the building blocks of the Gospel of John?
(a) The references to Q.
(b) The miracle stories.
(c) The proclamation stories.
(d) The references to Mark.
8. What does Mack argue John was worried about, which resulted in his authorship of Revelations?
(a) Sickness and affliction.
(b) False teaching and sickness.
(c) Persecution and execution.
(d) False teachings and affliction.
9. Whose conversion eventually led to the creation of the New Testament?
10. What did the Centrists seek to prove to the challengers?
(a) That God did not exist.
(b) That the Christian God was the same as the Jewish God.
(c) That the Christian God was not the same as the Jewish God.
(d) That God cared only for the Jews.
11. What does Mark's gospel do to the disciples that the story of Q did not?
(a) Ignores them.
(b) Worships them.
(c) Names them.
(d) Kills them.
12. What was the core objective of the epic of Israel through the end of the second temple?
(a) The establishment of the temple-state.
(b) The confirmation of God as a Jewish myth.
(c) The establishment of the Church.
(d) The confirmation of the death of Christ.
13. What does Mack claim both Marcion and Valentinus offered?
(a) A revised way to view God.
(b) An ancient way to view God.
(c) A new way to view God.
(d) A way to avoid God.
14. Who defended the centrist Christian position from those who challenged it?
(d) Justin Martyr.
15. What term replaced "disciples"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack say about the letter of Jude?
2. What does Mack claim was added to John 19:35?
3. What was the shift in mythmaking, according to Mack, that occurred at the turn of the second century?
4. What does Mack claim the author of Acts found, in terms of an answer to what Christianity owed to Jewish history?
5. What does Mack claim about Paul's letters to Colossians and Ephesians?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)