|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John portray Jesus, according to Mack?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As a cosmic Lord.
(c) As a powerful ruler.
(d) As the spirit of God.
2. Why did the literature that the early bishops threw out survive?
(a) It was protected by other bishops.
(b) It was protected by the Romans.
(c) Jews preserved it.
(d) Christians continued to read it.
3. During the time of the writing of Revelations, what does Mack argue the Christians were being accused of by the Romans?
4. What does Mack claim is Mark's greatest achievement?
(a) That he succeeded in creating the origins for Christian imagination.
(b) That he succeeded in tying Jesus with Moses.
(c) That he succeeded in converting the Jews.
(d) That he succeeded in publishing his work.
5. How did early Christians think of their world?
(a) As a cosmos.
(b) As a tomb.
(c) As a kingdom of God.
(d) As a social formation.
6. What was Valentinus' claim about what Christ made possible, in terms of knowledge of God?
(a) That Christ made it possible to know God through apostles.
(b) That Christ made it possible to know God through scripture.
(c) That Christ made it possible to know God by acquaintance.
(d) That Christ made it possible to know about God.
7. What collection of early Christian texts does the Didache now belong to?
(a) Acts of the Apostles.
(b) The Dead Sea Scrolls.
(c) The Apostolic Fathers.
8. Who began to give an account of the new religion to Greeks, Romans, and others?
(a) Local Bishops.
(b) Roman rulers.
(c) Jewish intellectuals.
(d) Christian intellectuals.
9. What two sources does Mack claim Matthew used for his gospel?
(a) The book of Q and the gospel of the Christ cult.
(b) The book of Q and the gospel of Mark.
(c) The gospel of Mark and the gospel of Luke.
(d) The book of Q and the gospel of Luke.
10. What did Justin argue to the Romans about Christianity?
(a) That it was better than Judaism.
(b) That all Christians should be exiled.
(c) That it hurt their government.
(d) That it actually helped them.
11. What word is used to imply the significance of the miracle stories in the Gospel of John?
12. What was the first act in Valentinus' cosmic drama?
(a) Man was created.
(b) The world was created.
(c) The world was destroyed.
(d) Man was destroyed.
13. What does canon mean?
(a) A religious book.
(b) Norm or standard.
(c) A book of history.
(d) A date or time.
14. What does Mack claim is the point of the Letter of James?
(a) Showing the importance Jesus' word.
(b) Showing the importance of God's will.
(c) Showing the importance of living a moral life.
(d) Showing the importance of the Christian faith.
15. What do the sermons in the Acts attempt to do?
(a) Validate God.
(b) Validate the authority of the disciples.
(c) Validate the claims of Jesus.
(d) Validate the rights of the Jews.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first of this group to attack centrist Christianity?
2. What became an interest for early third century scholars?
3. What did the Centrists seek to prove to the challengers?
4. What is contained in 1 Clement?
5. What did Justin say about the treatment of the Jews by God, in terms of the fall of the temple and the diaspora?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)