|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word is used to imply the significance of the miracle stories in the Gospel of John?
2. How many miracles occur in the Gospel of John?
3. When does Mack claim most of the works discussed in Chapter 8 were written?
(a) The fifth century.
(b) The eighth, ninth, and tenth centuries.
(c) The first century.
(d) The second, third, and fourth centuries.
4. How did Luke portray Jesus?
(a) A powerful deity.
(b) A wandering prophet.
(c) A teacher of the Torah.
(d) The manifestation of obedience to the spirit.
5. Who was the first of this group to attack centrist Christianity?
(c) Marcion of Sinope.
6. What was the core objective of the epic of Israel through the end of the second temple?
(a) The establishment of the Church.
(b) The confirmation of the death of Christ.
(c) The confirmation of God as a Jewish myth.
(d) The establishment of the temple-state.
7. What does Mack argue the Gospel of Matthew is a document for?
(b) The Christ cult.
(c) Jewish Christianity.
8. What is Ignatius' second appeal in his letters to the churches?
(a) For the congregations to rise up against Rome.
(b) For the congregations to pray for Ignatius.
(c) For the congregations to become martyrs.
(d) For the congregations to obey their bishops.
9. What was the first act in Valentinus' cosmic drama?
(a) The world was destroyed.
(b) Man was created.
(c) Man was destroyed.
(d) The world was created.
10. What does Mack argue is the point of Paul's letters to Timothy and Titus?
(a) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of Jesus.
(b) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of God.
(c) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of the Romans.
(d) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of the overseer.
11. What did Justin say about the treatment of the Jews by God, in terms of the fall of the temple and the diaspora?
(a) They deserved it because they were corrupt.
(b) They deserved it because they were wrong.
(c) They deserved it because they were not Christian.
(d) They deserved it because they were bad people.
12. What term replaced "disciples"?
13. What does the Didache contain?
(a) The Commandments.
(b) Sayings of Jesus.
(c) The Gospel of Thomas.
(d) Instructions for congregations.
14. Who does Mack argue at the end of Chapter 8 became the beloved disciple?
15. Who does Mack claim most of the sermons in the Acts of the Apostles are written for?
(b) Roman rulers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Epistles of Peter and Jude called the Catholic epistles?
2. When do scholars place the writing of the Gospel of John?
3. How did early Christians think of their world?
4. What is the term for "a small group of writings believes to have been written by bishops and others" who knew the apostles?
5. What is the common core of the Jewish scriptures?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)