|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack claim both Marcion and Valentinus offered?
(a) A revised way to view God.
(b) A way to avoid God.
(c) A new way to view God.
(d) An ancient way to view God.
2. How did Mark portray Jesus?
(a) As a powerful authority figure.
(b) As a God.
(c) As a backdrop to Jewish scripture.
(d) As a teacher.
3. What does the Didache contain?
(a) The Gospel of Thomas.
(b) The Commandments.
(c) Sayings of Jesus.
(d) Instructions for congregations.
4. What is the common core of the Jewish scriptures?
(b) The Dead Sea Scrolls.
(c) The New Testament.
(d) The five books of Moses.
5. During the time of the writing of Revelations, what does Mack argue the Christians were being accused of by the Romans?
6. What is Ignatius' second appeal in his letters to the churches?
(a) For the congregations to rise up against Rome.
(b) For the congregations to pray for Ignatius.
(c) For the congregations to become martyrs.
(d) For the congregations to obey their bishops.
7. What does Mack believe the authors intended to convey by having Peter and James defend Paul's ideas about Jewish law?
(a) That the Christian message was meant for gentiles.
(b) That the Christian message was meant for Jews.
(c) That the Christian message was not meant for gentiles.
(d) That the Christian message was not meant for Jews.
8. Why did the book of Hebrews not succeed?
(a) It was against the Jews.
(b) It was too intellectual.
(c) It was illogical.
(d) It was too long.
9. What does Mack claim was added to John 19:35?
(a) A witness who saw Jesus rise.
(b) A witness who saw blood come out of Jesus.
(c) A witness who saw Jesus turn water to wine.
(d) A witness who saw blood and water come out of Jesus.
10. Who was the leader of the empire who tried to have his images placed in the temple of Jerusalem?
(b) Arippa I.
11. What term replaced "disciples"?
12. Whose conversion eventually led to the creation of the New Testament?
13. What does Mack claim the author of Acts found, in terms of an answer to what Christianity owed to Jewish history?
(a) The Christ myth.
(b) A reliance on righteousness.
(c) The laws of purity.
(d) The concept of sacrifice.
14. Who first discussed the twelve disciples?
15. What does Mack claim is the point of the Letter of James?
(a) Showing the importance of living a moral life.
(b) Showing the importance Jesus' word.
(c) Showing the importance of the Christian faith.
(d) Showing the importance of God's will.
Short Answer Questions
1. What list became the Christian Bible?
2. What did Clement argue about the "new song" of Christianity?
3. What does Mack argue the Gospel of Matthew is a document for?
4. What does Mack argue John was worried about, which resulted in his authorship of Revelations?
5. What was the first act in Valentinus' cosmic drama?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)