|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mack argue at the end of Chapter 8 became the beloved disciple?
2. What list became the Christian Bible?
(a) The list of Jerome's translations.
(b) The letter of Trier.
(c) The Festal Letter of Athenasius.
(d) The list of Eusebius.
3. In Revelations, who was found worthy enough to open the seven seals?
(d) The lamb.
4. What did the temple at Jerusalem serve as, in terms of a symbol?
(a) It was the symbol of God.
(b) It was the symbol of Jesus.
(c) It was the symbol of peace.
(d) It was the symbol of Jewish presence.
5. What was the shift in mythmaking, according to Mack, that occurred at the turn of the second century?
(a) Christians began to leave behind the gospels.
(b) Christians began to disassociate from John.
(c) Christians began to associate gospels with disciples.
(d) Christians began to attribute more writings to Jesus himself.
6. What does canon mean?
(a) A religious book.
(b) A date or time.
(c) A book of history.
(d) Norm or standard.
7. Why are the Epistles of Peter and Jude called the Catholic epistles?
(a) They were addressed to Christians in general.
(b) They were addressed to the Pope.
(c) They were specific to the Catholic church.
(d) They were letters of the Catholic disciples.
8. How did Luke portray Jesus?
(a) A powerful deity.
(b) A teacher of the Torah.
(c) A wandering prophet.
(d) The manifestation of obedience to the spirit.
9. What did Clement argue about the "new song" of Christianity?
(a) It was based on Judaism.
(b) It was not new at all.
(c) It was an incorrect theory.
(d) It was a new, vibrant way to view God.
10. Who defended the centrist Christian position from those who challenged it?
(c) Justin Martyr.
11. Who first discussed the twelve disciples?
12. What does Mack argue the author of the letters to the Hebrews is saying?
(a) Jesus is better than Moses.
(b) Jesus is better than God.
(c) Jesus is better than the entire system of Israelite religion.
(d) Jesus is better than the Roman gods.
13. What is the only feature that all Christian religions have in common?
(a) Prayers to Mary.
(b) Prayers for the sick.
(c) Alms for the poor.
(d) Reliance on the Bible.
14. Why does Mack argue Jesus' death is qualitatively different from all other deaths of the prophets?
(a) Jesus was the son of God.
(b) Jesus was immortal.
(c) Jesus was a martyr.
(d) Jesus was the enemy of the state.
15. What does the gospel of Matthew argue Jesus' teachings were based on?
(a) The Torah.
(b) The gospel of Q.
(c) The gospel of Luke.
(d) The gospel of Mark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack say about the letter of Jude?
2. What does Mack claim both Marcion and Valentinus offered?
3. What is different about Peter in comparison to Jude?
4. How many miracles occur in the Gospel of John?
5. What was the core objective of the epic of Israel through the end of the second temple?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)