|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is contained in 1 Clement?
(a) Sayings of Jesus.
(b) The story of Jesus.
(c) Instructions for congregations.
(d) An admonishment to Corinth congregations.
2. What do the sermons in the Acts attempt to do?
(a) Validate God.
(b) Validate the authority of the disciples.
(c) Validate the claims of Jesus.
(d) Validate the rights of the Jews.
3. What does Mack believe the authors intended to convey by having Peter and James defend Paul's ideas about Jewish law?
(a) That the Christian message was not meant for gentiles.
(b) That the Christian message was not meant for Jews.
(c) That the Christian message was meant for Jews.
(d) That the Christian message was meant for gentiles.
4. What is different about Peter in comparison to Jude?
(a) It clarifies the opponents more clearly.
(b) It is completely different in content.
(c) It is more violent.
(d) It is more socially demoralizing.
5. What was the first act in Valentinus' cosmic drama?
(a) Man was created.
(b) The world was destroyed.
(c) The world was created.
(d) Man was destroyed.
6. What is the term for "a small group of writings believes to have been written by bishops and others" who knew the apostles?
(b) Apostolic Fathers.
7. What does Mack argue the author of the letters to the Hebrews is saying?
(a) Jesus is better than God.
(b) Jesus is better than the entire system of Israelite religion.
(c) Jesus is better than Moses.
(d) Jesus is better than the Roman gods.
8. What did Justin argue to the Romans about Christianity?
(a) That it actually helped them.
(b) That it hurt their government.
(c) That all Christians should be exiled.
(d) That it was better than Judaism.
9. Who is the star from Chapter 13 to the end of the Acts of the Apostles?
10. How many miracles occur in the Gospel of John?
11. Where did Justin claim the Greek philosophers received their wisdom?
(a) From Moses.
(b) From the people.
(c) From Abraham.
(d) From the Greek gods.
12. Who first discussed the twelve disciples?
13. What was Valentinus' claim about what Christ made possible, in terms of knowledge of God?
(a) That Christ made it possible to know God by acquaintance.
(b) That Christ made it possible to know about God.
(c) That Christ made it possible to know God through scripture.
(d) That Christ made it possible to know God through apostles.
14. What does Mack claim the author of the Acts of the Apostles set out to show?
(a) Agreement among the apostles.
(b) Agreement between Christianity and Judaism.
(c) Disagreement between Christianity and Judaism.
(d) Disagreement among the apostles.
15. What word is used to imply the significance of the miracle stories in the Gospel of John?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John portray Jesus, according to Mack?
2. Why did the book of Hebrews not succeed?
3. What did Justin say about the treatment of the Jews by God, in terms of the fall of the temple and the diaspora?
4. What is Ignatius' second appeal in his letters to the churches?
5. What does Mack claim was added to John 19:35?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)