|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack claim is Mark's greatest achievement?
(a) That he succeeded in tying Jesus with Moses.
(b) That he succeeded in creating the origins for Christian imagination.
(c) That he succeeded in publishing his work.
(d) That he succeeded in converting the Jews.
2. Who does Mack argue at the end of Chapter 8 became the beloved disciple?
3. What did Justin argue to the Romans about Christianity?
(a) That it was better than Judaism.
(b) That all Christians should be exiled.
(c) That it hurt their government.
(d) That it actually helped them.
4. What became an interest for early third century scholars?
(a) Apostolic writings.
(b) The Montanist.
(c) The Torah.
(d) Letters of Esther.
5. Where did the writer of the gospel of Luke write the gospel, according to Mack?
(b) A location near the Aegean Sea.
6. What does Mack claim the author of the Acts of the Apostles set out to show?
(a) Disagreement between Christianity and Judaism.
(b) Agreement among the apostles.
(c) Disagreement among the apostles.
(d) Agreement between Christianity and Judaism.
7. What does Mack claim was added to John 19:35?
(a) A witness who saw blood come out of Jesus.
(b) A witness who saw Jesus turn water to wine.
(c) A witness who saw Jesus rise.
(d) A witness who saw blood and water come out of Jesus.
8. What does canon mean?
(a) A religious book.
(b) Norm or standard.
(c) A date or time.
(d) A book of history.
9. During the time of the writing of Revelations, what does Mack argue the Christians were being accused of by the Romans?
10. What does Mack claim both Marcion and Valentinus offered?
(a) An ancient way to view God.
(b) A way to avoid God.
(c) A revised way to view God.
(d) A new way to view God.
11. What does Mack claim is the point of the Letter of James?
(a) Showing the importance of God's will.
(b) Showing the importance of living a moral life.
(c) Showing the importance of the Christian faith.
(d) Showing the importance Jesus' word.
12. What list became the Christian Bible?
(a) The list of Jerome's translations.
(b) The Festal Letter of Athenasius.
(c) The list of Eusebius.
(d) The letter of Trier.
13. What collection of early Christian texts does the Didache now belong to?
(a) The Dead Sea Scrolls.
(b) Acts of the Apostles.
(d) The Apostolic Fathers.
14. Who was the first of this group to attack centrist Christianity?
(a) Marcion of Sinope.
15. What does Mark's gospel do to the disciples that the story of Q did not?
(a) Kills them.
(b) Names them.
(c) Worships them.
(d) Ignores them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two sources does Mack claim Matthew used for his gospel?
2. What does Mack claim about Justin's treatise to the Jews?
3. Why did the literature that the early bishops threw out survive?
4. What was the first act in Valentinus' cosmic drama?
5. What is Ignatius' second appeal in his letters to the churches?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)