|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mack argue the Letter to the Hebrews is, in reality?
(a) False letters from the Jewish leaders.
(b) A philosophical exhortation.
(c) A statement of principle.
(d) Letters that should be attributed to Paul.
2. Who was the leader of the empire who tried to have his images placed in the temple of Jerusalem?
(b) Arippa I.
3. How did early Christians think of their world?
(a) As a kingdom of God.
(b) As a cosmos.
(c) As a social formation.
(d) As a tomb.
4. What does Mark's gospel do to the disciples that the story of Q did not?
(a) Ignores them.
(b) Kills them.
(c) Worships them.
(d) Names them.
5. What does Mack believe the authors intended to convey by having Peter and James defend Paul's ideas about Jewish law?
(a) That the Christian message was not meant for gentiles.
(b) That the Christian message was meant for gentiles.
(c) That the Christian message was not meant for Jews.
(d) That the Christian message was meant for Jews.
6. Why does Mack argue Jesus' death is qualitatively different from all other deaths of the prophets?
(a) Jesus was a martyr.
(b) Jesus was the enemy of the state.
(c) Jesus was immortal.
(d) Jesus was the son of God.
7. When do scholars place the writing of the Gospel of John?
(a) In the 90s.
(b) In the third century.
(c) In the 1800s.
(d) Before Christ.
8. How many miracles occur in the Gospel of John?
9. How does John portray Jesus, according to Mack?
(a) As a teacher.
(b) As the spirit of God.
(c) As a cosmic Lord.
(d) As a powerful ruler.
10. What term replaced "disciples"?
11. What does Mack claim is the point of the Letter of James?
(a) Showing the importance of the Christian faith.
(b) Showing the importance Jesus' word.
(c) Showing the importance of living a moral life.
(d) Showing the importance of God's will.
12. What is different about Peter in comparison to Jude?
(a) It is completely different in content.
(b) It is more socially demoralizing.
(c) It clarifies the opponents more clearly.
(d) It is more violent.
13. What does Mack claim both Marcion and Valentinus offered?
(a) A new way to view God.
(b) A way to avoid God.
(c) An ancient way to view God.
(d) A revised way to view God.
14. What did Justin say about the treatment of the Jews by God, in terms of the fall of the temple and the diaspora?
(a) They deserved it because they were wrong.
(b) They deserved it because they were bad people.
(c) They deserved it because they were corrupt.
(d) They deserved it because they were not Christian.
15. Who defended the centrist Christian position from those who challenged it?
(c) Justin Martyr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ignatius' second appeal in his letters to the churches?
2. When does Mack claim most of the works discussed in Chapter 8 were written?
3. What did the temple at Jerusalem serve as, in terms of a symbol?
4. Why are the Epistles of Peter and Jude called the Catholic epistles?
5. Where did Justin claim the Greek philosophers received their wisdom?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)