|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Centrists seek to prove to the challengers?
(a) That the Christian God was not the same as the Jewish God.
(b) That the Christian God was the same as the Jewish God.
(c) That God did not exist.
(d) That God cared only for the Jews.
2. Who defended the centrist Christian position from those who challenged it?
(d) Justin Martyr.
3. What was the first act in Valentinus' cosmic drama?
(a) The world was destroyed.
(b) Man was destroyed.
(c) The world was created.
(d) Man was created.
4. What does Mack argue is the point of Paul's letters to Timothy and Titus?
(a) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of the overseer.
(b) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of Jesus.
(c) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of the Romans.
(d) For people to follow the gospel and the instructions of God.
5. Why did the book of Hebrews not succeed?
(a) It was illogical.
(b) It was too intellectual.
(c) It was against the Jews.
(d) It was too long.
6. What did Clement argue about the "new song" of Christianity?
(a) It was based on Judaism.
(b) It was not new at all.
(c) It was a new, vibrant way to view God.
(d) It was an incorrect theory.
7. In Revelations, who was found worthy enough to open the seven seals?
(b) The lamb.
8. What is the common core of the Jewish scriptures?
(b) The five books of Moses.
(c) The New Testament.
(d) The Dead Sea Scrolls.
9. Why are the Epistles of Peter and Jude called the Catholic epistles?
(a) They were addressed to Christians in general.
(b) They were addressed to the Pope.
(c) They were specific to the Catholic church.
(d) They were letters of the Catholic disciples.
10. What does Mack claim are the building blocks of the Gospel of John?
(a) The references to Mark.
(b) The miracle stories.
(c) The proclamation stories.
(d) The references to Q.
11. Who is the star from Chapter 13 to the end of the Acts of the Apostles?
12. What two sources does Mack claim Matthew used for his gospel?
(a) The book of Q and the gospel of the Christ cult.
(b) The gospel of Mark and the gospel of Luke.
(c) The book of Q and the gospel of Mark.
(d) The book of Q and the gospel of Luke.
13. What does the Didache contain?
(a) The Commandments.
(b) The Gospel of Thomas.
(c) Instructions for congregations.
(d) Sayings of Jesus.
14. When does Mack argue Mark's gospel was written?
(a) Before the Roman-Jewish war.
(b) Prior to the birth of Christ.
(c) After the Roman-Jewish war.
(d) During the fourth century.
15. What does Mack argue the Letter to the Hebrews is, in reality?
(a) False letters from the Jewish leaders.
(b) A statement of principle.
(c) Letters that should be attributed to Paul.
(d) A philosophical exhortation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose conversion eventually led to the creation of the New Testament?
2. What does Mack argue the Gospel of Matthew is a document for?
3. What does canon mean?
4. How did Mark portray Jesus?
5. What does Mack argue the author of the letters to the Hebrews is saying?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)