|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many books of the New Testament is Paul responsible for, according to Mack?
(a) Over one half.
(c) All of them.
2. What does Mack claim the kingdom of God represented?
(a) An alternative to the current society.
(b) An alternative to purgatory.
(c) An alternative to simple death.
(d) An alternative to hell.
3. What concept was important to the Jewish temple-state, the Greek polis, and the Roman system of government?
4. What does each of these movements attempt to link Jesus to, according to Mack?
(b) The kingdom of God.
(c) The grand traditions of Israel.
(d) The fight against Rome.
5. When would eternal life be obtained, according the Mack's depiction of Paul's letters to the Thessalonians?
(b) In death.
(c) In accepting Christ.
(d) At the end of time.
6. Where does evidence for the Christ cult come from?
(a) Letters of Paul written in the 50s.
(b) The Dead Sea Scrolls.
(c) The Gospel of Thomas.
(d) The Sayings of Q.
7. Where did Rome place its power in the second and first centuries?
(a) In its laborers.
(b) In its politicians.
(c) In its field commanders.
(d) In its priests.
8. What does Mack claim was the slogan for Paul's gospel?
(a) Freedom from persecution.
(b) Freedom from the law.
(c) Freedom from exile.
(d) Freedom from sin.
9. What two realms did the Corinthians combine?
(a) Greek philosophy and Jewish belief.
(b) Jewish belief and Greek myth.
(c) Greek philosophy and the Christ myth.
(d) The Christ myth and Jewish belief.
10. Why does Mack call the Christ cult the first Christians?
(a) They called themselves Christians.
(b) They were the first to mention the resurrection.
(c) They were the first to create a hymn to Jesus.
(d) They were the first to use the word Christ to refer to Jesus.
11. Who did Paul argue was the seed of Abraham?
(b) Paul himself.
12. What is an epic according to Mack?
(a) A look at the past to discover previous laws.
(b) A rehearsal of the past that puts the present in its light.
(c) A hope for a brighter future.
(d) An examination of the past to reveal public policy.
13. What two Gods from different cultures were seen to be the same?
(a) Osiris and Isis.
(b) Hermes and Thoth.
(c) Athena and Zeus.
(d) Philo and Alexandria.
14. Why does Mack state that people become silent when confronted with Biblical information?
(a) People have too much time invested in the study of the Bible.
(b) There is little public knowledge about the Bible.
(c) There is too much public knowledge about the Bible.
(d) People are afraid to be incorrect in their interpretations of the Bible.
15. Why is Paul's' letter to the Romans different from his other letters?
(a) He wrote the Romans to ask for funding.
(b) The letter was not written by Paul.
(c) The letter was written in anger.
(d) He wrote the Romans for different reasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What way did ethnic or cultural groups create small social units within the larger culture they found themselves in?
2. What role did women play in associations?
3. Which group makes up the fifth of the Jesus Movements?
4. Which of the layers of Q is least embellished?
5. When did Jesus Movements start in Galilee?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)