|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Paul's view on circumcision for the Gentiles?
(a) Paul never answered the question of circumcision.
(b) Paul felt the Gentiles should be circumcised.
(c) Paul felt there was no need to circumcise the Gentiles.
(d) Paul let the pillars of Jerusalem answer the question of circumcision.
2. Why does Mack believe the stories in the New Testament were chosen to be included?
(a) They are believed to be written by the prophets.
(b) They are the only stories found of the time of Jesus.
(c) They are the most interesting.
(d) They produce a history that seems cohesive.
3. Where did Rome place its power in the second and first centuries?
(a) In its laborers.
(b) In its field commanders.
(c) In its priests.
(d) In its politicians.
4. What did the Greek model of civilization give rise to?
(d) Social stratification.
5. What happened at Corinth that made Paul nervous?
(a) The congregation became a place for criminals.
(b) The congregation became a place for worship of other deities.
(c) The congregation became a place for extravagant displays of spiritual behavior.
(d) The congregation became a place for lies and treachery.
6. What does Mack claim is the link that gives the Christian Bible logic and force?
(a) The link between the Jewish scriptures of the Old Testament, and the New Testament.
(b) The link between the Protestant Bible and the Apocrypha.
(c) The link between the Jewish temple, and the New Testament.
(d) The link between the Jewish scriptures of the Old Testament, and the Catholic Church.
7. Where does evidence for the Christ cult come from?
(a) Letters of Paul written in the 50s.
(b) The Sayings of Q.
(c) The Gospel of Thomas.
(d) The Dead Sea Scrolls.
8. Why does Mack state that people become silent when confronted with Biblical information?
(a) There is little public knowledge about the Bible.
(b) People are afraid to be incorrect in their interpretations of the Bible.
(c) People have too much time invested in the study of the Bible.
(d) There is too much public knowledge about the Bible.
9. What does the passage in Romans 3:21-26 say about why Jesus' death was effective?
(a) Because he was a sinner.
(b) Because he was justified.
(c) Because he was the son of God.
(d) Because he was faithful.
10. Why is Paul's' letter to the Romans different from his other letters?
(a) The letter was not written by Paul.
(b) The letter was written in anger.
(c) He wrote the Romans for different reasons.
(d) He wrote the Romans to ask for funding.
11. What was contained in the "Jefferson Bible"?
(a) Only the creation myths.
(b) Only the sections prior to the New Testament.
(c) Only the teachings of Jesus.
(d) Only the Books of the Prophets.
12. What was the Stoic recommendation for personal virtue?
(a) That man should avoid what was naturally right.
(b) That man could learn what was naturally right.
(c) That man could only pretend to know what was naturally right.
(d) That man could never learn what was naturally right.
13. What is contained in the Gospel of Thomas?
(a) Stories of creation.
(b) The sayings of Jesus.
(c) The myth of the resurrection.
(d) Stories of the disciples.
14. What does Paul assure the Thessalonians in terms of "those who had died"?
(a) That those who died with God will never die.
(b) That those who died before Christ could still be saved.
(c) That those who died in sin would not be with God after death.
(d) That those who died with God will live with God.
15. Which group makes up the fifth of the Jesus Movements?
(a) The Pillars in Jerusalem
(b) The People of Q.
(c) The disciples of Thomas.
(d) The Jewish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Christ cult differ form the Jesus movement?
2. What two systems helped define the temple-state?
3. What was the Greek concept of civilization?
4. What does Mack note the Corinthians are the first example of?
5. What two Gods from different cultures were seen to be the same?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)