|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does evidence for the Christ cult come from?
(a) The Sayings of Q.
(b) The Dead Sea Scrolls.
(c) The Gospel of Thomas.
(d) Letters of Paul written in the 50s.
2. Why does Mack claim the Bible is constantly consulted?
(a) It is the only book of God.
(b) It is important to our politicians.
(c) It is highly important to religious institutions.
(d) People require it for their faith.
3. What notion does Mack believe generated enough excitement to influence the formation of different Jesus groups?
(a) The power of Jesus.
(b) The kingdom of God.
(c) The power of the state.
(d) The concept of Jesus as son of God.
4. Why did Paul tone down his views of the freedom of Christians?
(a) He wanted to tie down Christians to make them more holy.
(b) He was told by God to tame the behaviors of man.
(c) He was reverting back to his Jewish roots.
(d) He did not want a repeat of the out of control behaviors at Corinth.
5. What does Mack argue Paul saw the Christ myth as, in terms of the State of Israel?
(a) Mack claims Paul saw the Christ myth as a call to take over all of the the Mediterranean.
(b) Mack claims Paul saw the Christ myth as a call to explained the borders of Israel to include gentiles.
(c) Mack claims Paul saw the Christ myth as a call to circumcise the gentiles in Israel.
(d) Mack claims Paul saw the Christ myth as a call to exile gentiles from Israel.
6. What does Mack claim about the authors of the sections in the New Testament?
(a) They are the people each section is attributed to.
(b) They are not the people each section is attributed to.
(c) They were uneducated militants, rebelling against the Church.
(d) They were descendants of Jesus.
7. Why does Mack call the Christ cult the first Christians?
(a) They were the first to use the word Christ to refer to Jesus.
(b) They were the first to mention the resurrection.
(c) They called themselves Christians.
(d) They were the first to create a hymn to Jesus.
8. What does Mack note the Corinthians are the first example of?
(a) A Hellenistic, urban congregation.
(b) A congregation of Paul's disciples.
(c) A congregation of Jews.
(d) A congregation gone awry.
9. In the temple-state model of civilization, what system does the king represent?
10. What concept was important to the Jewish temple-state, the Greek polis, and the Roman system of government?
11. What does Mack claim is the link that gives the Christian Bible logic and force?
(a) The link between the Jewish scriptures of the Old Testament, and the Catholic Church.
(b) The link between the Protestant Bible and the Apocrypha.
(c) The link between the Jewish scriptures of the Old Testament, and the New Testament.
(d) The link between the Jewish temple, and the New Testament.
12. Which group makes up the fifth of the Jesus Movements?
(a) The People of Q.
(b) The Pillars in Jerusalem
(c) The disciples of Thomas.
(d) The Jewish.
13. What does Paul assure the Thessalonians in terms of "those who had died"?
(a) That those who died with God will never die.
(b) That those who died before Christ could still be saved.
(c) That those who died with God will live with God.
(d) That those who died in sin would not be with God after death.
14. Where did the Jesus movement begin their change to the Christ cult?
(a) Southern Syria.
(b) Northern Syria.
(c) Eastern Syria.
(d) Western Syria.
15. Why does Mack state that people become silent when confronted with Biblical information?
(a) People have too much time invested in the study of the Bible.
(b) There is too much public knowledge about the Bible.
(c) There is little public knowledge about the Bible.
(d) People are afraid to be incorrect in their interpretations of the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Christ hymn imply about the domain of Jesus?
2. What does Mack claim the Jews had done since the time of David and Solomon?
3. Whose stories are mimicked in the Miracle Stories?
4. What feature of the Jerusalem group allows readers to build a profile?
5. What is the name of the form of mythmaking Mack notes these early Jesus people were engaged in?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)