|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10: Claiming Israel's Epic.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feature of the Christ cult does Mack claim Paul found irresistible?
(a) The concept of an unmixed social group.
(b) The concept of a social group with mixed ethnicity and social status.
(c) The concept of a social group of only the lower class.
(d) The concept of a group dedicated to Jesus and the Jewish codes of cleanliness.
2. What do Paul's letters to the Romans represent?
(a) A complete statement of his religious ideas.
(b) A plea for the Romans to accept Christianity.
(c) A defense against other missionaries.
(d) An angry accusation of lewdness and persecution.
3. Why does Mack claim Columbus studied the Bible?
(a) To plan his voyages.
(b) To teach the natives of Jesus.
(c) To strengthen his faith.
(d) To teach his men of its teachings.
4. What do the pillars in the Jerusalem group do that other Jesus movements do not?
(a) Believe in the concept of Jesus as a god.
(b) Disobey Jewish purity codes.
(c) Believe in the creation myth.
(d) Adhere to the Jewish purity codes.
5. Where does evidence for the Christ cult come from?
(a) The Gospel of Thomas.
(b) Letters of Paul written in the 50s.
(c) The Sayings of Q.
(d) The Dead Sea Scrolls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did early people think their society was based on?
2. What does the passage in Romans 3:21-26 say about why Jesus' death was effective?
3. In Revelations, who was found worthy enough to open the seven seals?
4. Why does Mack think putting aside conventional ideas of the origins of Christianity is difficult for some?
5. Who does Mack argue at the end of Chapter 8 became the beloved disciple?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)