|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: Paul's Letters to the Greeks and Romans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two activities Mack gives credit to in terms of the creation of Christian beliefs?
(a) Apocalyptic preaching and fantasy.
(b) Social conflict and experimentation.
(c) Social disintegration and intellectual stimulus.
(d) Social formation and mythmaking.
2. Why does Mack claim that the Jesus cult succeeded?
(a) People liked the idea of freedom.
(b) People liked the idea of God.
(c) People liked the idea of a martyr.
(d) People liked the idea of a kingdom.
3. What feature of the Christ cult does Mack claim Paul found irresistible?
(a) The concept of an unmixed social group.
(b) The concept of a group dedicated to Jesus and the Jewish codes of cleanliness.
(c) The concept of a social group with mixed ethnicity and social status.
(d) The concept of a social group of only the lower class.
4. What does each of these movements attempt to link Jesus to, according to Mack?
(a) The kingdom of God.
(b) The grand traditions of Israel.
(c) The fight against Rome.
5. What does the passage in Romans 3:21-26 say about why Jesus' death was effective?
(a) Because he was the son of God.
(b) Because he was justified.
(c) Because he was faithful.
(d) Because he was a sinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many books of the New Testament is Paul responsible for, according to Mack?
2. What was Paul's first argument against the idea that Christians should practice Jewish law?
3. What does Mack claim the kingdom of God represented?
4. What does Mack claim about the Book of Isaiah?
5. Why does Mack call the Christ cult the first Christians?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)