|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coach O make Ben do when he dumps the sand tray?
2. What is the name of the special ed program that Ben might need to go into?
3. Who saves the kittens trapped by the cord?
4. How much does Al spend at the livestock auction?
5. What languages has Dick picked up that he plans to use in trading in Palermo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dick do in memory of his cat after the cat disappears?
2. How does Bernie react to finding the new animals in the barn after the livestock auction?
3. What did Dick Whittington spend his fortune on in his last years?
4. What advice does Bernie tell Ben that the principal gave?
5. What does Dick notice about the cat while the operation is going on?
6. What effect do the bells have on Dick as he heads down the river to try to see Mary?
7. What does the Lady say to the other animals after the attack by the predator?
8. What does the tabby from down the road bring to the barn?
9. What does the cat's former owner say when Dick Whittington offers to share his fortune?
10. What women does the book Sir Louis gives Dick say are the most beautiful in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Storytelling is an important aspect of the novel. Discuss storytelling and its role in the novel.
1) How does Whittington's storytelling affect the novel? How does his storytelling affect the characters in the barn, as well as Ben and Abby?
2) How and why do other characters tell stories, including the other animals in the barns? What role do these stories play in the novel?
3) What is the history of storytelling that brings Dick Whittington's stories to Whittington? Why is it significant?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structure of the novel.
1) How are the two stories, the story of Dick Whittington and the story of the barn, intertwined?
2) How do the chapter divisions of the novel affect the reader? Why does the author choose these chapter divisions?
3) How is the novel episodic, telling a series of shorter stories? How does it have an overall structure, including the ongoing story of Ben learning to read?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the novel have different types of adventures. Discuss the role of adventure in the novel.
1) What kinds of adventures does Dick Whittington have in the novel? What do the characters learn from Dick Whittington's adventures?
2) What types of adventures do the animals in the barn have? How are their adventures different from the stories about Dick Whittington?
3) What role do adventures play in the novel? How do they contribute to its structure? How do they affect the reader and characters?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)