|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the auctioneer at the livestock auction speak?
2. Who names the baby goat?
3. Who does Marker injure in the barn?
4. How long does the Lady stay in her sleeping place without eating or drinking?
5. Why did Ben get sent home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dick do in memory of his cat after the cat disappears?
2. What proposition does Sir Louis have for Dick?
3. What does the Lady say to the other animals after the attack by the predator?
4. What does the tabby from down the road bring to the barn?
5. After Ben talks to the animals in the barn about what his reading lessons were like, what do they all do?
6. What trip does Whittington say he must take?
7. What did Dick Whittington spend his fortune on in his last years?
8. What women does the book Sir Louis gives Dick say are the most beautiful in the world?
9. What effect do the bells have on Dick as he heads down the river to try to see Mary?
10. In what way does Ben pet Whittington, and how does Whittington respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Storytelling is an important aspect of the novel. Discuss storytelling and its role in the novel.
1) How does Whittington's storytelling affect the novel? How does his storytelling affect the characters in the barn, as well as Ben and Abby?
2) How and why do other characters tell stories, including the other animals in the barns? What role do these stories play in the novel?
3) What is the history of storytelling that brings Dick Whittington's stories to Whittington? Why is it significant?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships between parents and children in the novel.
1) How do Ben and Abby suffer from not having their parents to care for them? How do their grandparents take the place of parents in their lives?
2) How is Dick's life affected by being separated from his parents as a young child? What characters act as parents to Dick?
3) What are the animals' relationships with their parents in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ben and Abby are growing up, and the reader also sees Dick Whittington grow up from a small boy to a man. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Dick grow up in the novel? How does he change as he grows up?
2) How does Ben grow up and get more mature? How does he change, and what does he learn?
3) How do the other characters grow and change in the novel? Do the animals grow up in some ways, similarly to the children?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)