|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name for lilac supposedly mean in Persian?
2. What does the cat wear on her leg immediately after the operation?
3. What do the kittens drink after their mother goes missing?
4. How does Ben react when Marion tells him about her meeting with his teacher?
5. How old is Dick when he returns to England from Constantinople?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary Green look like?
2. What does Dick do in memory of his cat after the cat disappears?
3. After Ben talks to the animals in the barn about what his reading lessons were like, what do they all do?
4. What happens to Gent when autumn arrives?
5. What did Dick Whittington spend his fortune on in his last years?
6. What does Dick notice about the cat while the operation is going on?
7. What is Ben's plan to stay with his class?
8. What does the tabby from down the road bring to the barn?
9. How did Mary's husband die?
10. What effect do the bells have on Dick as he heads down the river to try to see Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ben struggles with reading. Discuss the role of reading in the novel and how it is portrayed.
1) What difficulties does Ben have with reading? What helps him learn to read?
2) Why is reading important in the novel? What are different characters' perspectives on reading, including Dick Whittington, the animals in the barn, the children, and their grandparents?
3) How do different characters learn to read? What variations are their in these characters relationships with reading?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of family in the novel.
1) How is family different from friends in the novel? What makes up a family?
2) How do characters lose their families, and how do they build new families?
3) What role do families fill for characters? Why is family important in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss love in the novel.
1) What is Dick Whittington's experience of love? How does he fall in love, and how does love affect him?
2) What different kinds of love are in the novel? How is romantic love different from parental love, the love of siblings, or the love of friendship?
3) What is the Lady's experience of love? How does love affect her?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)