|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coach O make Ben do when he dumps the sand tray?
2. What does the Lady say isn't everything?
3. What is Fitzwarren's policy in his business?
4. When did Will begin working for Sir Louis?
5. As spring comes on, how many eggs do the chickens lay per day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Gent when autumn arrives?
2. What does Sir Louis do when he notices that Dick is interested in his daughter?
3. Why is Dick's cat allowed to come home to Dick?
4. What does Dick do in memory of his cat after the cat disappears?
5. What women does the book Sir Louis gives Dick say are the most beautiful in the world?
6. How did Mary's husband die?
7. What does Dick notice about the cat while the operation is going on?
8. What causes the ship to turn back after reaching Palermo?
9. What trip does Whittington say he must take?
10. In what way does Ben pet Whittington, and how does Whittington respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss kindness in the novel and how characters give help to each other.
1) What affects does Bernie's kindness have on the other characters?
2) What role does kindness and help play in Dick Whittington's life and success? How does Dick show kindness and help to others?
3) What kindness and help does Ben receive in his struggle to learn to read? How does he react to kindness and help?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love in the novel.
1) What is Dick Whittington's experience of love? How does he fall in love, and how does love affect him?
2) What different kinds of love are in the novel? How is romantic love different from parental love, the love of siblings, or the love of friendship?
3) What is the Lady's experience of love? How does love affect her?
Essay Topic 3
The central characters of the novel are animals. Discuss this aspect of the story.
1) How are the animal characters in the novel similar to human beings? How are they non-human?
2) Why does the author choose talking animals as central characters? What do these animals show the reader about humanity and life as a human?
3) How is Dick Whittington's cat portrayed differently than the other animal characters? Why?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)