|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first word that Ben learns in his reading lesson?
2. What is the weather like when Whittington first meets the Lady?
3. What does Fitzwarren always buy from sailors?
4. Why does the Lady think that people shouldn't look down while listening to a story?
5. Who does the carriage driver tell the agent that Dick is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What book does Abby bring for Ben's reading lesson?
2. How does Lady stay safe from the rats?
3. What is the dream Dick Whittington has about London?
4. What does Whittington slip off and do immediately after the first part of his story about Dick Whittington?
5. How does the black hen act when Bernie examines her?
6. What does the Lady tell Whittington about the horses, when Whittington first arrives in the barn?
7. What argument does the Lady give in favor of Whittington moving into the barn?
8. What does Whittington the cat look like?
9. What is Whittington and the Lady's plan to stop Havey from always chasing the duck?
10. What does Dick ask for, in addition to the king's initial offer, in exchange for his cat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ben learns to take control of his life through his experience in the barn and the stories about Dick Whittington. Discuss the idea of taking control of your life in the novel.
1) How does Ben take control of his life? What does he have to do, and how does he have to change?
2) How does Dick Whittington take control of his life? How does Dick's example help Ben?
3) What things are in and out of the characters' control in life? What can characters take control of, and how can characters deal with things they can't control?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Ben and Abby are growing up, and the reader also sees Dick Whittington grow up from a small boy to a man. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Dick grow up in the novel? How does he change as he grows up?
2) How does Ben grow up and get more mature? How does he change, and what does he learn?
3) How do the other characters grow and change in the novel? Do the animals grow up in some ways, similarly to the children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the danger and trials the characters go through in the novel.
1) What role do danger and trials play in Dick Whittington's life? What does danger teach him about the world?
2) What role does danger play in the animal world in the barn? Why is danger a part of life?
3) What dangers and trials do Abby and Ben face? How are the dangers they face different from those of the animals and of Dick Whittington?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)