|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What clinches Whittington's place in the family of the barn animals?
2. Who is the cat concerned would be afraid of him if he sneaked into the barn instead of asking permission?
3. What vehicle does the vet come in?
4. What is the weather like when Whittington first meets the Lady?
5. Why is Bernie afraid to put down rat poison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Whittington take his bath?
2. What reasons does Dick give the carriage driver to try to convince him to bring Dick to London?
3. What does Dick ask for, in addition to the king's initial offer, in exchange for his cat?
4. What trouble does Ben have with the first word he learns?
5. How did Will Price get his scar?
6. What does Whittington slip off and do immediately after the first part of his story about Dick Whittington?
7. How does Ben react when Gran gives him something to read?
8. In the fable the Lady tells, what does the rat save the lion from?
9. How does the captain react to Dick Whittington's cat?
10. How does the black hen act when Bernie examines her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss friendship in the novel.
1) How do Whittington and the Lady become friends? How is their friendship important to them? How does it affect them and the other animals in the barn?
2) How and why do Dick Whittington and his cat become friends? How does their friendship affect Dick?
3) What other friendships are there in the novel? How do friendships affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Ben and Abby are growing up, and the reader also sees Dick Whittington grow up from a small boy to a man. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Dick grow up in the novel? How does he change as he grows up?
2) How does Ben grow up and get more mature? How does he change, and what does he learn?
3) How do the other characters grow and change in the novel? Do the animals grow up in some ways, similarly to the children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of family in the novel.
1) How is family different from friends in the novel? What makes up a family?
2) How do characters lose their families, and how do they build new families?
3) What role do families fill for characters? Why is family important in the novel?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)