|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affliction is the herb the captain tells Fitzwarren about used to treat?
2. About how old is Fitzwarren?
3. Who has a fall in the snow?
4. Why doesn't Bernie take Havey home?
5. What did Bernie forget to do to the horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction does the cook have when Dick faints at her door?
2. What are the first two horses that Bernie buys?
3. What does the Lady tell Whittington about the horses, when Whittington first arrives in the barn?
4. What happened to Abby and Ben's parents?
5. How does the captain react to Dick Whittington's cat?
6. What does the man who sells Dick Whittington his cat look like?
7. How does Whittington take his bath?
8. What worries Abby about the chickens' spring eating habits?
9. What book does Abby bring for Ben's reading lesson?
10. What trouble does Ben have with the first word he learns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief and loss are important issues that the characters in the novel face. Discuss grief and loss.
1) How do Ben and Abby deal with their grief over the loss of their mother and father? How do they react to loss and how does loss affect them?
2) How does Dick Whittington react to loss, including the losses from the plague, his sense of loss of his home, the loss of Mary, and the loss of his cat? How does loss affect him?
3) How do other characters, including the Lady and Whittington, deal with loss?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss kindness in the novel and how characters give help to each other.
1) What affects does Bernie's kindness have on the other characters?
2) What role does kindness and help play in Dick Whittington's life and success? How does Dick show kindness and help to others?
3) What kindness and help does Ben receive in his struggle to learn to read? How does he react to kindness and help?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Ben and Abby are growing up, and the reader also sees Dick Whittington grow up from a small boy to a man. Discuss growing up in the novel.
1) How does Dick grow up in the novel? How does he change as he grows up?
2) How does Ben grow up and get more mature? How does he change, and what does he learn?
3) How do the other characters grow and change in the novel? Do the animals grow up in some ways, similarly to the children?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)