|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What games do the rats play while waiting for Whittington to continue his story?
2. What does the stranger with the gold coin give to Dick?
3. What color is Abby's hair?
4. What does the vet give to the horse along with castor oil?
5. What ailment causes Bernie to talk about selling out every winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument does the Lady give in favor of Whittington moving into the barn?
2. In the fable the Lady tells, what does the rat save the lion from?
3. What reaction does the cook have when Dick faints at her door?
4. What happens when the owl encounters Ben, Abby, Whittington, and the Lady?
5. What is Whittington and the Lady's plan to stop Havey from always chasing the duck?
6. What does Fitzwarren do at the docks?
7. What advice does the vet give Bernie when he calls about Spooker?
8. How does Lady stay safe from the rats?
9. How was Whittington separated from his boy?
10. What does Dick ask for, in addition to the king's initial offer, in exchange for his cat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss kindness in the novel and how characters give help to each other.
1) What affects does Bernie's kindness have on the other characters?
2) What role does kindness and help play in Dick Whittington's life and success? How does Dick show kindness and help to others?
3) What kindness and help does Ben receive in his struggle to learn to read? How does he react to kindness and help?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel have different types of adventures. Discuss the role of adventure in the novel.
1) What kinds of adventures does Dick Whittington have in the novel? What do the characters learn from Dick Whittington's adventures?
2) What types of adventures do the animals in the barn have? How are their adventures different from the stories about Dick Whittington?
3) What role do adventures play in the novel? How do they contribute to its structure? How do they affect the reader and characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the settings in the novel.
1) What role does the barn play as a setting in the novel? How does the setting of the barn affect the story and the reader's experience?
2) What role does London play as a setting in the novel? How is the time and place of Dick Whittington's life contrasted with the barn?
3) What other settings affect the novel, such as exotic Tripoli, and the reading program classroom?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)