|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss O'Brian do with the words of Keith's story?
(a) She jumbles them up for him to reorganize them.
(b) She draws them from a bucket and asks him to read them.
(c) She puts them on flash cards for him to practice.
(d) She removes every other word for him to fill in.
2. How big are duck eggs compared to bantam eggs?
(a) Three times as big.
(b) The same size.
(c) Twice as big.
(d) Half as big.
3. What town does Dick meet Mary in after his return from Constantinople?
4. How much does Al spend at the livestock auction?
5. Does Ben's teacher think Ben should pass this year?
(a) Yes, because his reading has improved so much.
(b) No, because of a lot of problems in class.
(c) No, but only because of his reading.
(d) Yes, because reading won't be a significant problem for a few years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves the kittens trapped by the cord?
2. How does Marion feel about picking up the registered letter?
3. What does the Old One call Ben?
4. What word is a boy struggling to write when Ben first visits the special reading class?
5. Who does Dick find who might be able to do an operation on his cat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dick do in memory of his cat after the cat disappears?
2. How does Bernie react to finding the new animals in the barn after the livestock auction?
3. How did Mary's husband die?
4. What does Mary Green look like?
5. What happens to Gent when autumn arrives?
6. In what way does Ben pet Whittington, and how does Whittington respond?
7. Why is Dick's cat allowed to come home to Dick?
8. What did Dick Whittington spend his fortune on in his last years?
9. What effect do the bells have on Dick as he heads down the river to try to see Mary?
10. What does Dick notice about the cat while the operation is going on?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)