|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Whittington initially feel about the deal between the animals and the rats?
2. Who does the carriage driver tell the agent that Dick is?
(a) A distant cousin.
(b) An itinerant orphan.
(c) A son of a friend of his.
(d) A wanted criminal.
3. Who taught Dick Whittington to read?
(a) His uncle.
(b) No one.
(c) A teacher.
(d) His grandmother.
4. What do the rats call themselves?
5. Why is Bernie afraid to put down rat poison?
(a) He is afraid it will poison the soil.
(b) He is afraid a cat will get a poisoned rat.
(c) He is afraid the poison won't kill the rats.
(d) He is afraid the chickens will eat it.
6. Who identifies Ben's reading problem as dyslexia?
(d) The Lady.
7. What holds the barn door shut?
(a) A rope.
(b) A chain.
(c) A padlock.
(d) A board.
8. What did Whitington's former family call him?
(b) Old Gray.
(c) Bent Ear.
9. What makes the barn begin to smell like home to the horses?
(a) The spring wind coming through the barn door.
(b) Green bales of hay.
(c) A good cleaning.
(d) The chickens and roosters.
10. How does Bernie react to the horses muzzling him?
(a) It makes him angry.
(b) It makes him smile.
(c) It makes him embarrassed.
(d) It makes him sad.
11. What alarms Bernie, Abby, and Ben most about Spooker's behavior?
(a) She doesn't drink.
(b) She doesn't run around.
(c) She doesn't eat.
(d) She doesn't paw the ground.
12. How does the cook's disposition change after Dick arrives?
(a) She is more angry.
(b) She is more aloof.
(c) She is more pleasant.
(d) She is more morose.
13. When the rats all come out on the Lady's command, who do they look at?
(a) The bantams.
(b) The Lady.
(c) The horses.
14. Where do the bantams roost when not sitting on eggs?
(a) In the wired chicken roost on the side of the barn.
(b) Up in a tree outside the barn.
(c) On the hay bales.
(d) Up in the roof rafters.
15. What part of the black hen is injured after she is revived?
(a) Her tail.
(b) Her wings.
(c) Her feet.
(d) Her neck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Abby's mom tell her that the night was like once your eyes adjust?
2. What does the Lady ask Abby to bring to the barn the next day?
3. What does the king initially offer Dick for his cat?
4. What does the vet give to the horse along with castor oil?
5. What is Havey named after?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)