|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Lady suggest should help Ben learn to read?
2. What do the horses use to bathe themselves?
(c) Tree bark.
3. What makes the barn begin to smell like home to the horses?
(a) Green bales of hay.
(b) The chickens and roosters.
(c) The spring wind coming through the barn door.
(d) A good cleaning.
4. What is the first word that Ben learns in his reading lesson?
5. What does the merchant want to know from Dick?
(a) What he plans to do with his life.
(b) Why he came to London.
(c) What useful skill he has.
(d) Where he comes from.
6. How many grandchildren does Bernie have?
7. What does the king initially offer Dick for his cat?
(a) All the gold in his throne room.
(b) All the goods he's selectd to buy.
(c) All the treasures he can carry.
(d) All the birds and fruits in his palace.
8. What type of goods does Fitzwarren sell?
9. What does the agent give Dick when he leaves the carriage?
(a) A coat.
(b) A gold coin.
(c) A pair of shoes.
(d) A penny.
10. What do the chickens do when someone lays an egg?
(a) They all huddle together.
(b) They all scratch the ground.
(c) They all flap their wings.
(d) They all swawk.
11. What does the stranger with the gold coin give to Dick?
(a) A letter.
(b) An apple.
(c) A piece of candy.
(d) A loaf of bread.
12. How do the rats in the barn sleep?
(a) In groups of ten or twelve, with one always awake and watching.
(b) Bunched together in groups of two or three in hollows in the wood.
(c) All rolled up together underground.
(d) Each in a separate small pile of shreddedhay.
13. How cold is it on the night the black hen is frozen?
(a) Five degrees below zero.
(b) Fifteen degrees below zero.
(c) Ten degrees below zero.
(d) Zero degrees.
14. How many students is Marion assigned to help in Abby's classroom?
(a) Abby and one other.
(b) Abby and two others.
(c) Only Abby.
(d) Abby and three others.
15. What nationality does the Lady say her ancestors are?
Short Answer Questions
1. What secondary item does Fitzwarren sell in his shop?
2. What word does Ben draw an angry line through?
3. How does the cook's disposition change after Dick arrives?
4. What birds appear as the weather warms?
5. What is the horses' initial response to the idea of Whittington moving into the barn?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)