|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth visit Whitney daily to discuss in Chapter 25?
2. Why does Paul refuse to elope with Whitney?
3. How long does Whitney want to wait before she and Clayton marry?
4. What happens in Chapter 21 when Whitney tries to slap Clayton?
5. How does Clayton feel when he can't find Whitney after returning from London?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Whitney do after receiving the notice that her betrothal to Clayton has been canceled?
2. Following the end of her relationship with Paul, how does Whitney attempt to fix her mistakes?
3. What ends Whitney's friendship with Nicolas DuVille?
4. How does Whitney react when she sees Clayton at Elizabeth's wedding?
5. In Chapter 35, who is at the anniversary party that Whitney and Clayton attend that causes Whitney distress?
6. What does Whitney's father tell her about his contract with Clayton at her wedding?
7. What were the consequences of Margaret's lie that Whitney had lost her virginity?
8. In Chapter 26, how does Whitney deal with having been raped by Clayton?
9. What does Clayton assume when he finds the letter Whitney had written in which she claimed to be pregnant?
10. Why does the Duke of Lansberry quickly marry his daughter off to the Marquess of Glengarmon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Whitney and Clayton. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do these face? How do they overcome these obstacles? How does Clayton treat Whitney? How does Whitney treat Clayton?
Essay Topic 2
What are some romance novel archetypes in the novel "Whitney, My Love"? What type of hero is Clayton? What type of heroine is Whitney?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Whitney, My Love." What is Whitney jealous of? What is Clayton jealous of? What is Paul jealous of? What do these feelings tell the reader about the feelings of these characters?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)