|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Whitney go to London with in Chapter 21?
2. According to what she tells Emily, how does Whitney know Clayton is in London in Chapter 26?
3. What is Clayton's mother's name?
4. What does Clayton's mother bring to Whitney in Chapter 42?
5. Who does Emily invite to Elizabeth's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Whitney become determined to do when she hears two gossips talking about her at the party in Chapter 21?
2. What does Whitney's father tell her about his contract with Clayton at her wedding?
3. How does Clayton treat Whitney after finding her letter to an unnamed man?
4. How does Whitney react when she sees Clayton at Elizabeth's wedding?
5. In Chapter 35, who is at the anniversary party that Whitney and Clayton attend that causes Whitney distress?
6. What does the Earl of Langford have planned for his estate and titles upon his death?
7. How does Whitney's plan to go out as much as possible backfire on her in Chapter 28?
8. In Chapter 26, how does Whitney deal with having been raped by Clayton?
9. What does Whitney write in a note to Clayton in Chapter 28?
10. How does Stephen suggest Whitney can have some time alone with Clayton when she visits Claymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Whitney and Paul. How does it change throughout the novel? How do Whitney's feelings for Paul differ from the beginning of the novel and the end of their engagement? What does Whitney like about Paul? What does she realize about him in the end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Whitney and Clayton. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do these face? How do they overcome these obstacles? How does Clayton treat Whitney? How does Whitney treat Clayton?
Essay Topic 3
The main themes of the novel are misunderstandings and miscommunication. Discuss some examples of misunderstandings and miscommunication in the novel "Whitney, My Love". How do they affect Whitney and Clayton's relationship? How are they resolved?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)