|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inscribed on the portrait that Clayton gives to Whitney?
2. Who does Emily invite to Elizabeth's wedding?
3. Who declares that Clayton, "thinks he's the King of England"?
4. What kind of party are Whitney and Clayton to attend in Chapter 34?
5. Who does Landford intend to leave his titles and land to at death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clayton treat Whitney after finding her letter to an unnamed man?
2. In Chapter 26, how does Whitney deal with having been raped by Clayton?
3. Where does Clayton go after telling his lawyer to release Whitney from their betrothal?
4. In Chapter 21, why doesn't Paul want to elope with Whitney?
5. Following the end of her relationship with Paul, how does Whitney attempt to fix her mistakes?
6. In Chapter 35, who is at the anniversary party that Whitney and Clayton attend that causes Whitney distress?
7. How does Whitney react when she sees Clayton at Elizabeth's wedding?
8. What is Clayton and Whitney's wedding like?
9. What are the circumstances of Whitney's labor?
10. How does Whitney's plan to go out as much as possible backfire on her in Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the love triangle between Whitney, Clayton and Paul. What are the dynamics of the relationships? How does Clayton view Paul and vice versa? What are Whitney's feelings for these two men?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social rules and manners that the characters must abide by during this time period. How do these social rules affect the plot and characters of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How have the leads grown throughout the novel? What allowed them to grow?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)