|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which item does Margaret wonder about having left in Clayton's carriage?
2. What is the name of Whitney's father?
3. What is Whitney convinced of when she arrives at the ball?
4. What is Clayton Westmoreland dressed as at the masquerade party?
5. How is Whitney related to Lord and Lady Gilbert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clayton believe that Whitney pursues Paul?
2. What does Clayton tell Whitney about the first time he saw her?
3. How does the debutante ball go for Whitney?
4. What does Clayton tease Whitney about in Chapter 18?
5. What impresses Whitney when she visits Clayton's home?
6. How does Whitney feel when she arrives at the debutante ball?
7. Why does Clayton parade Whitney around the village in Chapter 20?
8. Why are Lord and Lady Gilbert visiting the Stone Estate at the beginning of the book?
9. What story does Whitney tell Clayton about her childhood after drinking some whiskey?
10. In Chapter 12, what does Paul tell Whitney the day after the picnic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of family and friends in the novel "Whitney, My Love." How do family and friends help Whitney and Clayton find true love with one another? Would Whitney and Clayton have had a happy ending if their family and friends had not intervened? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Whitney and Paul. How does it change throughout the novel? How do Whitney's feelings for Paul differ from the beginning of the novel and the end of their engagement? What does Whitney like about Paul? What does she realize about him in the end?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)