|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Whitney's father give her in Chapter 10?
2. What impresses Whitney when she has dinner at Clayton's house?
3. How does Margaret feel about Whitney?
4. How old is Whitney in Chapter 1?
5. Who does Whitney's father wish for her to meet in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Whitney get Paul to propose to her in Chapter 14?
2. How does Whitney feel when she arrives at the debutante ball?
3. What impresses Whitney when she visits Clayton's home?
4. How are Whitney's plans to ride to the picnic with Paul ruined in Chapter 12?
5. What does Clayton tease Whitney about in Chapter 18?
6. What causes Whitney to become outraged in Chapter 11?
7. What does Paul accuse Whitney of in Chapter 11?
8. What does Whitney promise to her friend Emily at the beginning of the book?
9. What does the letter from Emily say in Chapter 5?
10. What is Whitney doing when her aunt and uncle arrive at the estate? Why is she doing this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the recurring motif of money and title in the novel "Whitney, My Love." How is money and title viewed by the characters of the novel? How do money and title affect the plot of the novel, as well as the lives of Whitney and Clayton?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions left?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)