|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Martin tells Whitney she cannot marry Paul for what reason?
2. What kind of race does Clayton challenge Whitney to?
3. What is Whitney wearing when Lord and Lady Gilbert arrive at the Estate?
4. Where does one of Whitney's cousins corner her alone in Chapter 19?
5. After seeing her new room, what does Whitney anticipate of her time in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicolas feel about Whitney?
2. What does Clayton tease Whitney about in Chapter 18?
3. How does the debutante ball go for Whitney?
4. How does Whitney attempt to refuse an examination by Dr. Whitticomb?
5. Why does Clayton wonder if Whitney fell off her horse during their race intentionally?
6. In Chapter 20, what item does Margaret ask Clayton about, and what does this require Clayton to later explain to Whitney?
7. Why does Whitney go downstairs in a servant's dress when Clayton visits in Chapter 17?
8. What is Whitney doing when her aunt and uncle arrive at the estate? Why is she doing this?
9. In Chapter 14, what does Martin warn Clayton about?
10. What is Whitney thrilled about in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some romance novel archetypes in the novel "Whitney, My Love"? What type of hero is Clayton? What type of heroine is Whitney?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Whitney, My Love." What is Whitney jealous of? What is Clayton jealous of? What is Paul jealous of? What do these feelings tell the reader about the feelings of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Clayton as the villain of the novel "Whitney, My Love". Why might Clayton make a good villain? What does he do to Whitney and others that could be classified as villainous behavior?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)