|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Whitney convinced of when she arrives at the ball?
2. Which item does Margaret wonder about having left in Clayton's carriage?
3. What does the letter from Emily say in Chapter 5?
4. What is the story that Whitney tells Clayton about?
5. At the party, what do people gossip about during dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what does Martin warn Clayton about?
2. How does Whitney get Paul to propose to her in Chapter 14?
3. What is Whitney's first impression of Clayton?
4. What do the party guests gossip about over dinner in Chapter 16?
5. Describe Whitney at the opening of the novel.
6. What is Whitney thrilled about in Chapter 10?
7. In Chapter 20, what item does Margaret ask Clayton about, and what does this require Clayton to later explain to Whitney?
8. Why does Whitney go downstairs in a servant's dress when Clayton visits in Chapter 17?
9. What causes Whitney to become outraged in Chapter 11?
10. What does Whitney promise to her friend Emily at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main themes of the novel are misunderstandings and miscommunication. Discuss some examples of misunderstandings and miscommunication in the novel "Whitney, My Love". How do they affect Whitney and Clayton's relationship? How are they resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Whitney Stone. What are her strengths and weaknesses. What are her defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Clayton as the villain of the novel "Whitney, My Love". Why might Clayton make a good villain? What does he do to Whitney and others that could be classified as villainous behavior?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)