|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 34, what do the servants refuse to allow Whitney to do on orders from Clayton?
(a) Leave her room.
(b) Drink alcohol.
(c) Ride her horse.
(d) Visit her father.
2. Still angry with Whitney, what does Clayton consider doing in Chapter 35?
(a) Divorcing her.
(b) Destroying her father financially.
(c) Letting her go back to Paul.
(d) Taking on a mistress.
3. What does Whitney tell Clayton in the letter that Emily convinces her not to post?
(a) That she hates him.
(b) That she is marrying Paul.
(c) That she will enter a convent.
(d) That she is pregnant.
4. What does Margaret tell Clayton when she sees him in London?
(a) That Whitney is no longer a virgin.
(b) That Whitney's father has gone bankrupt.
(c) That Whitney had a baby.
(d) That Whitney married Paul.
5. In Chapter 41, why is Stephen upset?
(a) He loses his inheritance.
(b) His favorite horse has died.
(c) He made a bad investment.
(d) Emily Kendall has married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clayton's mother think of Whitney?
2. What kind of ring does Clayton give Whitney?
3. Who convinces Whitney that she has misunderstood Clayton's intentions by canceling their betrothal?
4. What animal does Whitney come across as she walks the park paths alone?
5. Who declares that Clayton, "thinks he's the King of England"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Whitney do after receiving the notice that her betrothal to Clayton has been canceled?
2. Why does the Duke of Lansberry quickly marry his daughter off to the Marquess of Glengarmon?
3. How does Clayton treat Whitney after finding her letter to an unnamed man?
4. How does Whitney feel about telling Clayton she is pregnant in Chapter 34?
5. How does Whitney react when she sees Clayton at Elizabeth's wedding?
6. What is Clayton and Whitney's wedding like?
7. How does Stephen suggest Whitney can have some time alone with Clayton when she visits Claymore?
8. What ends Whitney's friendship with Nicolas DuVille?
9. What does Clayton assume when he finds the letter Whitney had written in which she claimed to be pregnant?
10. In Chapter 26, how does Whitney deal with having been raped by Clayton?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)