|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Stephen?
(a) Whitney's cousin.
(b) Lady Anne's nephew.
(c) Martin's servant.
(d) Clayton's brother.
2. What does Stephen falsely say the Westmorelands are famous for?
(a) Their hospitality.
(b) Their anti-social behavior.
(c) Their grand parties.
(d) Their intelligence.
3. What happens in Chapter 21 when Whitney tries to slap Clayton?
(a) Whitney knocks a painting off the wall.
(b) Whitney hurts her hand.
(c) Clayton slaps Whitney.
(d) Whitney hits Lady Anne instead.
4. How does Clayton feel about Landford's plans?
(a) He is proud.
(b) He is in agreement.
(c) He thinks it's a bad idea.
(d) He is jealous.
5. Why does Paul refuse to elope with Whitney?
(a) Whitney's father would kill him.
(b) He wants to get married in the local church.
(c) Paul doesn't have any money for transportation.
(d) It would shame his mother and sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Clayton told is the reason why Whitney traveled to London?
2. In Chapter 34, what do the servants refuse to allow Whitney to do on orders from Clayton?
3. Where do Whitney and Clayton go on their wedding trip?
4. Who convinces Whitney that she has misunderstood Clayton's intentions by canceling their betrothal?
5. What is Clayton's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Whitney feel about telling Clayton she is pregnant in Chapter 34?
2. How does Whitney react when she sees Clayton at Elizabeth's wedding?
3. Why does the Duke of Lansberry quickly marry his daughter off to the Marquess of Glengarmon?
4. What does Whitney write in a note to Clayton in Chapter 28?
5. In Chapter 26, how does Whitney deal with having been raped by Clayton?
6. Following the end of her relationship with Paul, how does Whitney attempt to fix her mistakes?
7. What were the consequences of Margaret's lie that Whitney had lost her virginity?
8. What does Whitney become determined to do when she hears two gossips talking about her at the party in Chapter 21?
9. In Chapter 21, why doesn't Paul want to elope with Whitney?
10. How does Stephen suggest Whitney can have some time alone with Clayton when she visits Claymore?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)