|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Whitney feel about being back in England?
(a) She is uncomfortable.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She is thrilled.
(d) She is depressed.
2. What is the name of Whitney's father?
(a) Merton Stone.
(b) Michael Stone.
(c) Murray Stone.
(d) Martin Stone.
3. What does Clayton challenge Whitney to in Chapter 13?
(b) A card game.
(d) A horse race.
4. What is Whitney convinced of when she arrives at the ball?
(a) That her dress is the shabbiest of all.
(b) That she is going to love Paris life.
(c) That no one will ask her to dance.
(d) That she is the prettiest girl at the ball.
5. What does Clayton agree to keep a secret in Chapter 18?
(a) Matin's financial problems.
(b) Whitney's engagement to Paul.
(c) His betrothal to Whitney.
(d) That Whitney is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the party, what do people gossip about during dinner?
2. Why does Clayton believe Whitney chases after Paul?
3. After seeing her new room, what does Whitney anticipate of her time in Paris?
4. What is the name of Whitney's horse?
5. When does Paul decide to propose to Whitney?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Lord and Lady Gilbert visiting the Stone Estate at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Clayton tell Whitney about the first time he saw her?
3. Why does Clayton parade Whitney around the village in Chapter 20?
4. How does the debutante ball go for Whitney?
5. What does Clayton tease Whitney about in Chapter 18?
6. How are Whitney's plans to ride to the picnic with Paul ruined in Chapter 12?
7. What do the party guests gossip about over dinner in Chapter 16?
8. Why does Clayton believe that Whitney pursues Paul?
9. Describe Whitney at the opening of the novel.
10. Why does Clayton wonder if Whitney fell off her horse during their race intentionally?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)