|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martin admit to Lady Anne in Chapter 9?
(a) That Clayton Westland has offered him a large sum of money.
(b) That Martin is deathly ill.
(c) That Clayton Westland is Clayton Westmoreland.
(d) That Martin has gambled his fortune away.
2. Where do Lord and Lady Gilbert take Whitney?
3. What does Lady Anne try to downplay in Chapter 13?
(a) Paul's affection for Whitney.
(b) Clayton's good points.
(c) Her wealth.
(d) Whitney's beauty.
4. At the end of Chapter 20, to which event does Clayton invite Whitney?
(a) A horse race.
(b) A ball in London.
(c) A birthday party.
(d) A dinner party.
5. What does Lady Anne worry about at the party?
(a) That a guest will reveal Clayton's true identity.
(b) That they will run out of alcohol.
(c) That her dress is unfashionable.
(d) That Whitney will run away with Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicolas promise Whitney in Chapter 8?
2. What has caused Whitney to be a source of gossip amongst her neighbors?
3. What happens to Whitney in the midst of the race?
4. What does Whitney refuse to do at meal times during Lord and Lady Gilbert's visit?
5. Who is Whitney trying to impress when her relations arrive at the Estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Whitney's first impression of Clayton?
2. What does Clayton tell Whitney about the first time he saw her?
3. Why does Whitney go downstairs in a servant's dress when Clayton visits in Chapter 17?
4. What does Martin tell Lady Anne about Whitney's betrothal in Chapter 12?
5. Why does Clayton believe that Whitney pursues Paul?
6. Why does Clayton wonder if Whitney fell off her horse during their race intentionally?
7. What impresses Whitney when she visits Clayton's home?
8. How are Whitney's plans to ride to the picnic with Paul ruined in Chapter 12?
9. How does Whitney feel when she arrives at the debutante ball?
10. Why does Whitney become angry and embarrassed during her homecoming?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)