|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Whitney convinced of when she arrives at the ball?
(a) That her dress is the shabbiest of all.
(b) That no one will ask her to dance.
(c) That she is going to love Paris life.
(d) That she is the prettiest girl at the ball.
2. What does the letter from Emily say in Chapter 5?
(a) Emily has married.
(b) Emily is joining her in Paris.
(c) Emily is ill.
(d) Emily is entering a convent.
3. What does Martin admit to Lady Anne in Chapter 9?
(a) That Clayton Westland is Clayton Westmoreland.
(b) That Martin has gambled his fortune away.
(c) That Martin is deathly ill.
(d) That Clayton Westland has offered him a large sum of money.
4. What does Whitney accuse Clayton of in Chapter 11?
(a) Having a lack of decency.
(b) Having a lack of morals.
(c) Having a lack of common sense.
(d) Having a lack of respect.
5. What changes does Whitney notice at her father's estate when she returns to England?
(a) New furnishings.
(b) A new stable.
(c) A pair of new horses.
(d) A new extension.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Whitney's father give her in Chapter 10?
2. What does Whitney do instead of visiting Paul in Chapter 10?
3. What does Clayton do to Whitney on the balcony in Chapter 11?
4. What kind of horse does Whitney arrange for Clayton?
5. What is Whitney doing when Lord and Lady Gilbert arrive at the Stone Estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicolas feel about Whitney?
2. What is Whitney thrilled about in Chapter 10?
3. What is Whitney doing when her aunt and uncle arrive at the estate? Why is she doing this?
4. What happens when Whitney provides Clayton with a horse called Dangerous Crossing to ride?
5. What does Martin tell Lady Anne about Whitney's betrothal in Chapter 12?
6. What does Clayton tease Whitney about in Chapter 18?
7. Where does Whitney go at the end of Chapter 2, and what does she vow to accomplish while there?
8. In Chapter 12, what does Paul tell Whitney the day after the picnic?
9. How does Whitney feel when she arrives at the debutante ball?
10. Why are Lord and Lady Gilbert visiting the Stone Estate at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)