|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Paul refuse to elope with Whitney?
(a) Paul doesn't have any money for transportation.
(b) Whitney's father would kill him.
(c) He wants to get married in the local church.
(d) It would shame his mother and sister.
2. What kind of party are Whitney and Clayton to attend in Chapter 34?
(a) A wedding reception.
(b) A birthday party.
(c) A homecoming party.
(d) An anniversary party.
3. Who does Whitney say she has been "all the rage" with in Chapter 27?
(a) Stupid men.
(b) Tall men.
(c) Conceited men.
(d) Desperate men.
4. What did Emily notice about the coach that returned Whitney to the Archibald house after the ball?
(a) Its strange color.
(b) Its gold crest.
(c) Its broken window.
(d) Its horses.
5. Who does Emily invite to Elizabeth's wedding?
(b) Nicolas DuVille.
6. Still angry with Whitney, what does Clayton consider doing in Chapter 35?
(a) Divorcing her.
(b) Letting her go back to Paul.
(c) Destroying her father financially.
(d) Taking on a mistress.
7. Where does Clayton confess his love for Whitney?
(a) On the dance floor.
(b) In his carriage.
(c) While sitting on a balcony.
(d) At the dinner table.
8. In Chapter 34, what do the servants refuse to allow Whitney to do on orders from Clayton?
(a) Visit her father.
(b) Leave her room.
(c) Drink alcohol.
(d) Ride her horse.
9. What does Elizabeth visit Whitney daily to discuss in Chapter 25?
(a) Her wedding plans.
(b) The daily gossip.
(c) New fashions.
(d) Her broken heart.
10. What does Clayton's mother bring to Whitney in Chapter 42?
(a) A scrapbook.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) A wooden chest.
(d) A quilt.
11. How long does Whitney want to wait before she and Clayton marry?
(a) Eight weeks.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Six weeks.
12. In Chapter 39, who returns from a trip overseas?
(a) Emily Kendall.
(c) Lady Anne.
13. Who declares that Clayton, "thinks he's the King of England"?
(b) Lady Anne.
14. Who is Whitney introduced to at Claymore after the wedding?
(a) Clayton's father.
(b) The house servants.
(c) Her distant cousin.
(d) The King.
15. What does Clayton do when he and Whitney run into each other in London in Chapter 28?
(a) Clayton watches her sadly.
(b) Clayton makes small talk with her.
(c) Clayton ignores her.
(d) Clayton smiles and waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Whitney leave Claymore to stay in Chapter 35?
2. What is Clayton's mother's name?
3. What does Clayton find in Whitney's drawer?
4. What does Clayton have sent to Whitney in Chapter 25?
5. What do Clayton and Whitney tour in Chapter 30?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)