|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen falsely say the Westmorelands are famous for?
(a) Their grand parties.
(b) Their hospitality.
(c) Their anti-social behavior.
(d) Their intelligence.
2. Who does Whitney invite to come visit her in Chapter 22?
(c) Nicolas DuVille.
3. Who is Whitney introduced to at Claymore after the wedding?
(a) The house servants.
(b) The King.
(c) Her distant cousin.
(d) Clayton's father.
4. Who comes to London and escorts Whitney to parties every night?
5. Where does Clayton confess his love for Whitney?
(a) On the dance floor.
(b) While sitting on a balcony.
(c) In his carriage.
(d) At the dinner table.
6. Who declares that Clayton, "thinks he's the King of England"?
(d) Lady Anne.
7. What happens in Chapter 21 when Whitney tries to slap Clayton?
(a) Whitney knocks a painting off the wall.
(b) Whitney hurts her hand.
(c) Whitney hits Lady Anne instead.
(d) Clayton slaps Whitney.
8. What does Whitney tell Clayton in the letter that Emily convinces her not to post?
(a) That she will enter a convent.
(b) That she hates him.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) That she is marrying Paul.
9. What does Elizabeth say Whitney looks like in her bridesmaid dress?
(a) A daffodil.
(b) A jonquil.
(c) A lily.
(d) A peony.
10. When Whitney realizes why Clayton has become angry with her, what does she decide to do?
(a) Use it as an opportunity to get out of their marriage.
(b) Write him a letter to set him straight.
(c) Explain herself directly.
(d) Let him figure out the truth on his own.
11. What is Clayton's mother's name?
12. Where does Whitney stay in London?
(a) With a relative.
(b) With Emily.
(c) At an inn.
(d) She doesn't stay in London.
13. What does Margaret tell Clayton when she sees him in London?
(a) That Whitney's father has gone bankrupt.
(b) That Whitney is no longer a virgin.
(c) That Whitney married Paul.
(d) That Whitney had a baby.
14. How long does Whitney want to wait before she and Clayton marry?
(a) Eight weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Eight months.
15. What does Paul intend to do with Whitney's dowry?
(a) Start a publishing company.
(b) Buy some horses.
(c) Go traveling.
(d) Buy an estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Emily notice about the coach that returned Whitney to the Archibald house after the ball?
2. What causes Whitney to go into labor?
3. Still angry with Whitney, what does Clayton consider doing in Chapter 35?
4. What does Clayton have sent to Whitney in Chapter 25?
5. What animal does Whitney come across as she walks the park paths alone?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)